whats left to do

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: whats left to do

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No we wouldn't,  because he played behind 4 players who were better. Because our team has good depth at the position doesn't mean that a player is bad. Its a good situation to have a guy like that as your #4, that is reality.  If the guy came in and sucked with his given opportunities then you could label him as a "bad player". 

Do you see the difference, or is this just another fallen on deaf ears type of conversation? 

[/QUOTE]

Well when you put your fingers in your ears saying "lalala every player who was ever signed to the Pats is a good player" I guess you can call that deaf ears.

True saying he's a bad player doesn't mean he's a bad person. He's a JAG nothing more nothing less. JAGs are not good players and are easily replaced. If you make so little and end up being cut because another JAG can replace you that means you are bad because not only were you easily replaced but that they would cut you because even as a 4th RB there are better options. Then again you still believe A. Wilson was a good signing so your idea of good is skewed into outer space somewhere.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This translates into 3 starting caliber players and 2 quality depth players:

1. a very good Dlineman

2. and a very good C.

3. Add to that, a reasonably good DE or DT for depth

4. a reasonably good LB for depth

5. and a solid all purpose TE.

[/QUOTE]

in the draft we'll be very lucky to come away with two immediate starters.  More realistic is one starter, two or three depth guys, and a bunch of marginal contributors.  This is nothing against BB, it's just the reality of what's available when you're picking near the bottom of each round. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No we wouldn't,  because he played behind 4 players who were better. Because our team has good depth at the position doesn't mean that a player is bad. Its a good situation to have a guy like that as your #4, that is reality.  If the guy came in and sucked with his given opportunities then you could label him as a "bad player". 

Do you see the difference, or is this just another fallen on deaf ears type of conversation? 

[/QUOTE]

Well when you put your fingers in your ears saying "lalala every player who was ever signed to the Pats is a good player" I guess you can call that deaf ears.

True saying he's a bad player doesn't mean he's a bad person. He's a JAG nothing more nothing less. JAGs are not good players and are easily replaced. If you make so little and end up being cut because another JAG can replace you that means you are bad because not only were you easily replaced but that they would cut you because even as a 4th RB there are better options. Then again you still believe A. Wilson was a good signing so your idea of good is skewed into outer space somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

Eng, you haven't heard? All our running backs are excellent.  It's just that BB chooses not to use them, because he prefers a stale, predictable, pass-heavy, finesse offense.

Good players, dumb coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This translates into 3 starting caliber players and 2 quality depth players:

1. a very good Dlineman

2. and a very good C.

3. Add to that, a reasonably good DE or DT for depth

4. a reasonably good LB for depth

5. and a solid all purpose TE.

[/QUOTE]

in the draft we'll be very lucky to come away with two immediate starters.  More realistic is one starter, two or three depth guys, and a bunch of marginal contributors.  This is nothing against BB, it's just the reality of what's available when you're picking near the bottom of each round. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am not saying what I expect but what we need. ANd FAs can still fill some of this and I fully expect more FAs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng, you haven't heard? All our running backs are excellent.  It's just that BB chooses not to use them, because he prefers a stale, predictable, pass-heavy, finesse offense.

[/QUOTE]

I think we have had very good stable of backs. Bolden is not a starter. But he has been a solid player. His role was reduced with Blount last year.

The only thing holding back our running game is blocking. CENTER. RG. TE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we have had very good stable of backs. Bolden is not a starter. But he has been a solid player. His role was reduced with Blount last year.

The only thing holding back our running game is blocking. CENTER. RG. TE.

[/QUOTE]

I think we could definitely improve those three positions.  Wendell and Connolly are average at best, and Hoo is very inconsistent. (Gronk is a great blocker, of course, but only when he's not locked up with an orthopedic surgeon.)   Overall our running game wasn't too bad last year, but  I did think we had trouble when teams attacked the LOS with their LBs and safeties and didn't worry too much about getting LBs and safeties into coverage.  Because of this, I think having better receivers might actually help the run game a bit, since better receivers might pull safeties and LBs away from the LOS and make them react more cautiously.

Backside pursuit on stretch plays also seemed to be a real problem for the Pats in the run game and even in the play action pass game, where Brady was sacked several times by unblocked rushers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What the hell does being a bad person have to do with it?

IN the opportunities he had to get on the field he has performed. Ridley, Vareen, and Blount are all better backs then Bolden is, but he still played well when injuries dictated his PT.

I didn't say anything about what kind of human being he was, and yes Adrian Wilson was a good signing at a small % of cap space to gamble on a 6'3 hard hitting machine who only needed to play situational downs and hit people. He was old, he got hurt, it didn't work.

Only a guy with an axe to grind agaisnt the GM would think that Wilson was some kind of crippling move, and only a guy with an axe to grind would label Boldin as a bad player when the only thing the guy did was perform every time he took the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am a BB ball washer/homer who thinks BB is an idiot?!?!?!?!

Do you ever read your posts and think...whoops?

Do you ever regret not adding something of substance but instead lashing out and falling back on your, "you think you know more then BB" crap?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you ever regret not adding something of substance but instead lashing out and falling back on your, "you think you know more then BB" crap?

[/QUOTE]

Well you do think BB is an idiot.   You tell us constantly that he can't get the plays right.  I've given you plenty of substantive data and analysis to explain why BB does in fact do the right thing, but you keep coming back with the same post about him passing too much for six straight years. . . which pretty much boils down to you claiming that Bill Belichick knows less about how to call a game than you do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well you do think BB is an idiot.   You tell us constantly that he can't get the plays right.

No, I say he relies on the pass too often(but he doesn't call offensive plays, maybe you noticed in your "film study")

You actually do say he can't get the play"ers" right and doesn't know how to build a team, which he is solely responsible for. What's worse Chief?

I've given you plenty of substantive data and analysis to explain why BB does in fact do the right thing, but you keep coming back with the same post about him passing too much for six straight years. . . which pretty much boils down to you claiming that Bill Belichick knows less about how to call a game than you do.

Hey, original tactic there pro, you really are a "Pro"! How did you ever come up with the idea of suggesting your detractor thinks he knows more then BB? That is a next level tactic! "Your smack is so fresh, give me a pound dog"

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rook contracts are usually $4-5mil depending on where you pick and how many picks you have.

As for Bolden why keep a bad player on a team just to have the extra position? I think Devlin showed enough to take Boldens place and you draft one. That should be enough 3rbs and a FB (well provided the RB you draft can catch the ball and take Vereen's place when he gets hurt, ie see McKinnon)

[/QUOTE]

Not sure when Bolden became a "bad player"? 51 rushes for 4.9 ypc 2 tds in 2012, 52 rushes for 4.9 ypc 3 tds in 2013 with 21 receptions on 29 targets. Zero fumbles. 

That's what I was wondering about.  When did he become a bad player?  It's not like it was oh no time, Bolden is on the field again.  A pretty productive player when he got the chance to play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Rook contracts are usually $4-5mil depending on where you pick and how many picks you have.

As for Bolden why keep a bad player on a team just to have the extra position? I think Devlin showed enough to take Boldens place and you draft one. That should be enough 3rbs and a FB (well provided the RB you draft can catch the ball and take Vereen's place when he gets hurt, ie see McKinnon)

[/QUOTE]

Not sure when Bolden became a "bad player"? 51 rushes for 4.9 ypc 2 tds in 2012, 52 rushes for 4.9 ypc 3 tds in 2013 with 21 receptions on 29 targets. Zero fumbles. 

That's what I was wondering about.  When did he become a bad player?  It's not like it was oh no time, Bolden is on the field again.  A pretty productive player when he got the chance to play.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't get it Gary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

For Will Smith, he'll have to take less money to win, if he's willing than welcome onboard.

Steve Gregory was always likely to be re-signed, he can play as a reserve corner, reserve free safety and special teams, he is a good player, gives up his body, though not necessarily as a starter.

Rettig who?

DJ Williams can't stay healthy.

M. Harrison has to prove it, even if he can't make it here, he might be able to play in a simpler offense and thrive.

If you're surprised by anything the man can do, than you don't know Vince Wilfork at all.

I think you'll see Kline at center more, also maybe a draft pick here...

Chandler Jones could go the Bruce Smith route and bulk up, he certainly has the frame to add a little.  Burst and mobility is key to playing strong side end in a 4/3 or outside linebacker in the 3/4, the kid is a talent.  Even though BB supposedly has trouble finding talent.

No news is good news on Armstead, they said he was cleared to play, that's good enough for me.  As long as he doesn't contract the motaba virus and has to sit out.

I think you're undervaluing the center/guard position, if the best interior player available is sitting there we have to take him.  

ILB isn't much of a need, if you consider Collins can play anywhere and we're not too thin there.  

Beyond that I agree with you:  

DT, C/G, TE, RB, S, CB, QB (best player available in no particular order)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

-I am still hoping the draft falls to: DT, DE/OLB, TE, RB, S, ILB

[/QUOTE]

I went back to view the roster because I didn't know how some people were listed positionwise.  Armstead is listed as a DE.  Wow, that's a big DE.  And I thought Browner was a safety but the Pats have him down as a CB.  That's a big CB!  Not too many 6'4", 220lb CBs out there.  

DT - What highlighted this position was the Vince and Kelly injuries.  We're not thin here.  I think the Pats could use another big DT in their lineup but is it a high need area?

DE - Like I said previously Armstead is down as a DE.  But where is he healthwise?  This guy has been like area 51.  So I'm down for a DE this draft.  Time to let the bench warmer Bequette go.  Failed bit.

LB - Boy did we get thin here all of a sudden.  We need one this draft for sure.

Defensive backfield as a whole - Much, much better.  Revis and Dennard at CB with Browner and McCourty at safety.  Ryan is there for backup.  I don't know what Ebner, Harmon or Wilson bring to the table.   Arrington does well in the slot but for Godsakes keep him there.

I feel that the Pats do need an OL.  Barker, Cave, Kline, Mattes and Wendell don't do much for me.  Connolly did well at center but maybe that would be the easiest position to get a quality starting OL.  

TE -  Without a doubt, yes.  It would be nice if the Pats could land two.

WR - If the Pats don't use the first pick on a WR I say forget about it.  It just means we end up with more of the same kinda WR.  A corp with potential.

RB - The Bolden statement puzzles me but if he goes that means they need to draft one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Love it when the posts get personal.  Makes for such a substantive read.

According to http://overthecap.com/initial-nfl-rookie-pool-estimates/ 

the Pats need just under $5 mil to be allocated for rookies but only $1.6 mil in cap space.  So relatively small cap impact from the draft.

Tight End, D line, O line and Safety (unless Harmon has made the progress that some seem to think he has). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I wanted to clarify the Bolden comment....

I dont think that the insinuation is that Bolden is a bad player. I think the issue is his lack of reliability due to injury.

If the team carries 3 QB's, most likely the result will be carrying 4 RB's, with an eye towards the future (draft choice). I could see Ridley, Vareen, draft choice and a bigger/multi position player (Devlin) in that mix

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Brandon Bolden, to me, is in a perfect spot to cash in. I make no apologies being a Bolden fan, he's been under used.

His career ave is ~ 5 per carry. He's going into that 4th year so I look for him to play very well.

Put me down for him having a very solid season for the Pats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Adding depth and an eventual stud starter on the defensive line.  Adding depth to the linebacker core, as we are scraping bottom once past our 3 starters.  Give Brady another sure handed red zone threat TE that can pickup the slack when Gronk is in the hot tub, or compliment him when he's on the field.  Add depth and potential starter on the offensive line.  Add another running back as all 3 that we currently have our in the last years of their contracts, so they won't all be back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fix both lines or the team leaves us at the alter again....

[/QUOTE

]that pretty much sums up my feeling too NMPL. I think our skill position players are deep enough to make another deep playoff run, but the O/D line needs more depth or it will be like the Denver game all over again. I expect NE to draft linemen this year. Let's hope Vince is healthy enough to push people around again, and Mankins regains his nasty streak and has trickle down effect on the entire OLine. Go Pats. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I continue to hear nice things regarding both Kline and Cave. Both could be ready for increased roles.

Vollmer/Kline/Connolly/Mankins/Solder appear to me to be the 1-5 starters

Cannon and perhaps Svitek if he is resigned are the 6-7 depth

Cave/Wendell look to battle for that 8th spot

I could see the Pats drafting for PS/next years depth...I cant see a drafted player in rounds 3 or later coming in and contributing ahead of the mentioned 8 or 9 guys. I also cant see the Pats using a day 1 draft choice for interior line

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

I continue to hear nice things regarding both Kline and Cave. Both could be ready for increased roles.

I could see the Pats drafting for PS/next years depth...I cant see a drafted player in rounds 3 or later coming in and contributing ahead of the mentioned 8 or 9 guys. I also cant see the Pats using a day 1 draft choice for interior line

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  Given the limited number of picks (and few high ones), they aren't going to be able to fill every need with top-quality players through the draft.  If what you say is true, maybe we continue another year or two with the current O line personnel and instead focus on getting the best available DT, LB, or (maybe) TE/WR with our top few picks. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As usual thanks for the info. Wondering if you've heard anything about Chris Barker. I read a while back that Reiss said he was never demoted to the practice squad last year while both Kline and Cave were.

The Pats had claimed Barker from Miami in early September but kept him on the roster all year. Maybe they saw something they liked and didn't want to risk losing him?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Alright True and Gary I'm going to toss out some names. Tell me if you think they are good RB's. Try your best not to look up their names. Just simply have you heard of them and do you think they are good backs.

Benny Cunningham

Jonathan Franklin

Lance Dunbar

Mike James

Chris Ogbonnaya

It seems like you guys are taking it personally that someone would call Bolden a JAG and inherently JAGs are just filler players. They are on the back end of rosters because they are cheap. And they are cheap because they just aren't good otherwise they would carve out more playing time and not be inactive on gamedays.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

whats left to do

Sign the following 3 vet contributors to short 1 year - 2 year incentive laden contracts.

3 UFA that we need depth on and could be pretty good key contributors on this Pats team, the way we're set up, and what we need tangible & intangible-

LB James Harrison

OG Harvey Dahl

RB Michael Bush

NE needs some heady vets that play tough, tough, teeth grinding bullish ball...

^  Harrison could be vicious on the outside w/ Mayo & Hightower and has always shown crazy full-stat range.  Dahl is a monster and manned Atlanta's excellent OL interior paving Turner for years, and he could really offer some weight to the OG-OC-OG area of NE's line.  Bush is a 6'1 245lb bull RB and those bigger RBs always fit NE like a glove.  Depth, Depth, Depth, Undermanned Need, Need, Need, Vet leader, Vet leader, Vet, full gameskill Producer, Producer, Producer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Early the DT from Florida in the 2nd round or Quarles the DE from SC . . .

Mason the RB from Auburn in the 3rd round  . . .

In the 4th round . . .  Mettenberger the QB from LSU with the 2nd pick in that round . . . put him on IR for this year and he can learn the ropes and be ready to be the backup next year when Mallett bolts.

Either Martin the C for USC or Heit the C and LS from Kansas State in the 6th round (someone who can be the LS and play at least as a backup would be great).

The other 6th and 7th round pick will be projects or special team players at best the first year  . . . most likely on the PS.

First round a STARTER . . . do not care if it is Amaco the TE of Texas Tech, Mosely the LB from Alabama, Jenkins the TE from Univ of Washington, Bucannon the S from Washington State, Deeford the DE from Auburn, or Early the DE from Missouri . . . one of two of the guys can be had even if the move back 4-8 picks into the 2nd round and get another pic.

Then use some of the 8 million to fill the gaps . . . they do need to replace 2 LBs (Spikes and Fletcher) and either a TE or DL depending on who they draft in the first round.

JumboHart Andy Hart
    RT @caplannfl: Mettenberger's ACL surgery was on 1/3. So in just over three months, he's going through a full Pro Day throwing session.

Also Pats had a 2 hour chalk board session with QB Logan Thomas before 45 minute work out where he ran 4.5/40.  Possible TE convert.

Sections
Shortcuts