whats left to do

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

whats left to do

with the news that the Pats have unofficially and approximately $8M available in cap space, lets speculate what still needs to be done with this roster, Lets also keep it to a personel based discussion, leaving contract extensions or revisions for another thread.

-it appears that WSmith is still on the table, and the Pats have offered. If he doesnt recieve any other offers that he simply cant refuse, I think he is a Pat in the next 2 weeks. Lets hope he is an upgrade over Carter.

-I was told that SGregory was in the building this week. Did he forget a pair of shoes and was simply retrieving them? Was he saying hello to BB? Is there mutual interest from both sides? Makes me think between Gregory and Chung the Pats either do not like the draft for the position, or they dont like their position in the draft to address this need.

-I was also told no doubt about it that BBolden will not be on the team this coming season. Makes me think that the Pats have a #2 or #3 in mind for a RB in the draft. I dont know if the Bolden issue is performance, health or conduct related, it is simply what I was told

-I understand BC's Rettig was in the building, but was told he is more for summer reps/PS fodder, and that the Pats want to address a #3 QB this season. Seems Rettig is not that QB

-Someone covering the team wanted to bet me that DJWilliams not only makes the team, but graps 25 catches this season. I have not seen Williams play, but respect this persons opinion enough to think the Pats will carry 4 TE's, and the draft may not fall TE in rounds 1-4.

-I also have been told, trying to put it nicely, that MHarrison can "live on the PS for 3 years, and is not capable of grasping this offense, ever".

-Was also offered a bet that "Vince is going to surprise me this season". I understand that to mean he is doing very well in his rehab, and will be back with a chip. But that would not surprise me.

-I am still holding out hope we see Cannon get some snaps at C this summer.

-was told CJones gained another 10lbs

-have not heard a word on Armstead. very quiet. not sure if that is good or bad

-I am still hoping the draft falls to: DT, DE/OLB, TE, RB, S, ILB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: whats left to do

Left to do:

1.  Get a tight end

2.  Replace Wendell

3.  Re-purpose Chung

(Obviously I feel they needed to do more than LaFell, but it's a bit late to ask for that.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

it would not surprise me in the least, depending how the draft unfolds and what happens in camp, if both Wendell and Chung are not on the team

the draft experts seem to indicate the TE position is slipping in the draft. I expect the Pats to have numerous choices available when thet choose...a TE that can contribute s/b available if they so desire

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

-I was also told no doubt about it that BBolden will not be on the team this coming season. Makes me think that the Pats have a #2 or #3 in mind for a RB in the draft. I dont know if the Bolden issue is performance, health or conduct related, it is simply what I was told

Yeah, this wouldn't shock me.  I have no idea what the deal is with him but I thought he could develop into a really good back.  I have liked what I have seen with him, not sure if he has injury problems, attitude problems or has just fallen out of favor with BB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

* Gregory may make alot of sense given Chung couldn't even back him up...if it's at a team helpful contract, what's to lose?  Besides, unless the Pats want to spend some early draft capital on a SS type it will cost them for a good draft prospect because there are NOT that many good ones available this year.

* Sorry to hear about Harrison.....if he can't get the O, he can't get it...not a crime, many good players haven't been able to get it, but we all know that's death on that team because the QB won't play that - AT ALL!

*They can grab a decent RB who might also be able to catch passes out of the backfield as well as run anytime after the 3rd round....they see most backs as interchangable/replaceable parts....Bolden must have really screwed the pooch after his fumbling  last year...if he's cut, might this come under the "message" cut baliwick?

* Rettig really isn't NFL ready at this point...he didn't amaze me at BC the last couple of years especially given he's had a few weapons there...his arm is not that great.

*Cannon at C?..might not be bad but that entirely depends on the health status of Sea Bass....his ankle injury was pretty bad, haven't heard much about his status? That's info I'd love to know...if he's healthy, Cannon to C is a possibility...if he's not, Cannon stays at OT/OG, IMO.

* If Jones has gotten bigger and is working hard with weights that's a good sign...he must be hungry and wanting to make a splash, put himself in position for a nice fat contract after his rookie deal runs out....cash is a great motivator.

Thanks for the info !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Any Gronk word?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Interesting stuff as usual, rkarp. A few thoughts for what they're worth:

with the news that the Pats have unofficially and approximately $8M available in cap space, lets speculate what still needs to be done with this roster, Lets also keep it to a personel based discussion, leaving contract extensions or revisions for another thread.

-it appears that WSmith is still on the table, and the Pats have offered. If he doesnt recieve any other offers that he simply cant refuse, I think he is a Pat in the next 2 weeks. Lets hope he is an upgrade over Carter.

-I was told that SGregory was in the building this week. Did he forget a pair of shoes and was simply retrieving them? Was he saying hello to BB? Is there mutual interest from both sides? Makes me think between Gregory and Chung the Pats either do not like the draft for the position, or they dont like their position in the draft to address this need.

I think he's likely to be back and I think the Pats will try to get by with what they've got now and maybe with other low cost veterans.  With such good, deep corners and McCourty, I think they'll try to fill needs other than safety in the draft.

They need another RB who can fill in for Ridley, but Bolden is easily replaceable and an upgrade isn't out of the question. 

-I understand BC's Rettig was in the building, but was told he is more for summer reps/PS fodder, and that the Pats want to address a #3 QB this season. Seems Rettig is not that QB

Mallet's future with the team is uncertain so it makes sense to start developing an alternative back up QB.

-Someone covering the team wanted to bet me that DJWilliams not only makes the team, but graps 25 catches this season. I have not seen Williams play, but respect this persons opinion enough to think the Pats will carry 4 TE's, and the draft may not fall TE in rounds 1-4.

Is it a sign they are going to forego a TE in the draft and go with Williams and Hoo til Gronk is ready? That allows them to focus on other needs in the draft.  LaFell helps with that strategy too, since he's almost TE size.

-I also have been told, trying to put it nicely, that MHarrison can "live on the PS for 3 years, and is not capable of grasping this offense, ever".

-Was also offered a bet that "Vince is going to surprise me this season". I understand that to mean he is doing very well in his rehab, and will be back with a chip. But that would not surprise me.

-I am still holding out hope we see Cannon get some snaps at C this summer.

-was told CJones gained another 10lbs

-have not heard a word on Armstead. very quiet. not sure if that is good or bad

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No shocker on Bolden. People fell in love with him around here but never really saw him as anything more than a JAG. Actually I didn't even think he'd make the roster last season so not a huge lose if true

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Fix both lines or the team leaves us at the alter again....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Early the DT from Florida in the 2nd round or Quarles the DE from SC . . .

Mason the RB from Auburn in the 3rd round  . . .

In the 4th round . . .  Mettenberger the QB from LSU with the 2nd pick in that round . . . put him on IR for this year and he can learn the ropes and be ready to be the backup next year when Mallett bolts.

Either Martin the C for USC or Heit the C and LS from Kansas State in the 6th round (someone who can be the LS and play at least as a backup would be great).

The other 6th and 7th round pick will be projects or special team players at best the first year  . . . most likely on the PS.

First round a STARTER . . . do not care if it is Amaco the TE of Texas Tech, Mosely the LB from Alabama, Jenkins the TE from Univ of Washington, Bucannon the S from Washington State, Deeford the DE from Auburn, or Early the DE from Missouri . . . one of two of the guys can be had even if the move back 4-8 picks into the 2nd round and get another pic.

Then use some of the 8 million to fill the gaps . . . they do need to replace 2 LBs (Spikes and Fletcher) and either a TE or DL depending on who they draft in the first round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

*They can grab a decent RB who might also be able to catch passes out of the backfield as well as run anytime after the 3rd round....they see most backs as interchangable/replaceable parts....Bolden must have really screwed the pooch after his fumbling  last year...if he's cut, might this come under the "message" cut baliwick?

Bolden's never fumbled, not sure what you're referring to? 

In any case, RBs do continue to be interchangeable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I've watched a lot of BC football.

Rettig is a complete waste of time.  He's not worth a PS spot. 

I'd much rather have Jordan Lynch in camp.   He could also prep the team for running QBs like G. Smith, Vick, and EJ Manuel.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Good stuff Rkarp, I think after reading that we need a WR first, DT/DE, TE, OT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

About $6mil of that is needed to sign draft picks right?  

I'm hoping Smith does sign with the Pats.  They need another DE more than anything.

I don't understand the Gregory thing.  He's such a failed bit and a beating to watch.  Thing only thing I can think of is to bring in competition.  You may be right on not being in position to drafting a safety.  A lot of teams needing safetys this year.  Some teams may reach.  But if one happens to be there I can't imagine BB passing up on one.  It's a clear need.  

The Bolden drop doesn't make any sense to me.  That means the Pats are down to two RBs.  One would have to be drafted for sure and you would want to get another from some place.

The contract signed by Vince told me right away that he's doing fine.  It was just protection for the Pats not wanting to see significant money tied up in a player who is not playing.  The Pats don't mind paying him if he's playing.

Draft needs look pretty good.  I would like to see an OL but the Pats are thin at the positions you mentioned.  Need some more draft picks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

I'm hoping Smith does sign with the Pats.  They need another DE more than anything.

I don't understand the Gregory thing.  He's such a failed bit and a beating to watch.  Thing only thing I can think of is to bring in competition.  You may be right on not being in position to drafting a safety.  A lot of teams needing safetys this year.  Some teams may reach.  But if one happens to be there I can't imagine BB passing up on one.  It's a clear need.  

The Bolden drop doesn't make any sense to me.  That means the Pats are down to two RBs.  One would have to be drafted for sure and you would want to get another from some place.

The contract signed by Vince told me right away that he's doing fine.  It was just protection for the Pats not wanting to see significant money tied up in a player who is not playing.  The Pats don't mind paying him if he's playing.

Draft needs look pretty good.  I would like to see an OL but the Pats are thin at the positions you mentioned.  Need some more draft picks!

Rook contracts are usually $4-5mil depending on where you pick and how many picks you have.

As for Bolden why keep a bad player on a team just to have the extra position? I think Devlin showed enough to take Boldens place and you draft one. That should be enough 3rbs and a FB (well provided the RB you draft can catch the ball and take Vereen's place when he gets hurt, ie see McKinnon)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am thinking that the Bolden situation must be injury. the guy has showed well when he has been on the field. he simply hasnt been able to stay on the field for any length of time.

I do feel they bring in some one that has staying power thru out the 4 year rookie contract..and can take the load next year if Ridley and Vareen price themselves off the team

It's funny. I appreciated what Blount brought to the team last year, always thought he would follow the money this year, and never thought the Pats would offer much. I am glad he was on the team last year. But I would still like to see if Demps could have done anything on this team with 4-6 touches per game

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Rook contracts are usually $4-5mil depending on where you pick and how many picks you have.

As for Bolden why keep a bad player on a team just to have the extra position? I think Devlin showed enough to take Boldens place and you draft one. That should be enough 3rbs and a FB (well provided the RB you draft can catch the ball and take Vereen's place when he gets hurt, ie see McKinnon)

Thought it was higher than that.  Of course the figure could have come out as an average figure.  I have always heard you had to pack away about $6mil.

I didn't think Bolden was bad.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I forgot about Devlin completely.  But I still don't get it.  Why was he on the team last year?  Why wasn't he released?  It's not like the Pats were short on RBs.  If true the timing of it bugs me and doesn't seem to make sense.  This is a deep draft where the Pats can get help in the trenches.  Not spend one on a RB.  If it happens we'll find out what the problem was and move on regardless of my personal sensitive feelings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What's left to do? I think they need another weapon on offense and a defensive tackle. Personally I don't think a defensive player worth our first round selection will be there when we pick, so I'd go either tightend or receiver. This draft is loaded at receiver, I'd try to land one that falls and steal that value. I like Amaro a lot - I just don't think you can teach guys to catch the way he does - he is so smooth and polished...and he can run pretty well at his size. He doesn't block well, but I think he could always improve there.

I think if we walk into the season with Kelly and Vince as our defensive tackles we will be running the risk of injury, age and diminshing production from an important position. I think we almost have to draft a defensive tackle in the first two rounds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Not sure when Bolden became a "bad player"? 51 rushes for 4.9 ypc 2 tds in 2012, 52 rushes for 4.9 ypc 3 tds in 2013 with 21 receptions on 29 targets. Zero fumbles. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

What's left to do? I think they need another weapon on offense and a defensive tackle. Personally I don't think a defensive player worth our first round selection will be there when we pick, so I'd go either tightend or receiver. This draft is loaded at receiver, I'd try to land one that falls and steal that value. I like Amaro a lot - I just don't think you can teach guys to catch the way he does - he is so smooth and polished...and he can run pretty well at his size. He doesn't block well, but I think he could always improve there.

I think if we walk into the season with Kelly and Vince as our defensive tackles we will be running the risk of injury, age and diminshing production from an important position. I think we almost have to draft a defensive tackle in the first two rounds.

Agree with this. DT, TE, another guard. Hopefully the TE can get on the field sooner then later(1st few rounds) and hopefully the DT can but doesn't have to(VW and Kelly come back healthy with Siligia heavy in rotation)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Not sure when Bolden became a "bad player"? 51 rushes for 4.9 ypc 2 tds in 2012, 52 rushes for 4.9 ypc 3 tds in 2013 with 21 receptions on 29 targets. Zero fumbles. 

He's not bad, just a replaceable part.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How about when BB made him a healthy inactive for how many games in a row? Those stats are almost meaningless as most of those numbers came in garbage time at the end of games. True he had a couple rememberable moments bursting through the line but so did many of the road RB's that don't last. If he was any good we'd see him much more often and used in more than just cleanup duty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Not sure when Bolden became a "bad player"? 51 rushes for 4.c 2 tds in 2012, 52 rushes for 4.9 ypc 3 tds in 2013 with 21 receptions on 29 targets. Zero fumbles. 

How about when BB made him a healthy inactive for how many games in a row? meaningless as most of those numbers came in garbage time at the end of games. True he had a couple rememberable moments bursting through the line but so did many of the road RB's that don't last. If he was any good we'd see him much more often and used in more than just cleanup duty.

No we wouldn't,  because he played behind 4 players who were better. Because our team has good depth at the position doesn't mean that a player is bad. Its a good situation to have a guy like that as your #4, that is reality.  If the guy came in and sucked with his given opportunities then you could label him as a "bad player". 

Do you see the difference, or is this just another fallen on deaf ears type of conversation? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, what is left:

1. Need to upgrade DL. THe single most important guy we could draft would be (I beleive) the next stud to anchor the DL. But we also need more quality depty. FOr example we need someone to add into a rotation at DE.

2. Staying with D we are WAY too thin at LB. Too many people here look at the starting lineup (packages not even considered) and if we have 3 LBs we should focus elsewhere. Well this is true if you are really needing to truly upgrade somewhere because the starting quality is truly dangerously weak (center is an example here unless Wendell upgrades himself!). We need at least one more quality LB for depth and perhaps 2 would make more sense unless one of the younger guys will show meaningful development.

3. SS still questionable at best

4. C

5. RG though with a true upgrade at C RG might look better too. Especially IF we have healthy tackles this year

6. A TE who can start if Gronk is out and who can be a solid, even dangerous blocker with some solid pass catching options in a short yarfage or res zone double TE package

7. We need a PLAN for RB long term. I prefer to resign Vereen and Ridley but they know better whether they feel that way. It would be nice to add another back who can stand in for Vereen if he is out or who can add SUPERIOR short yardage and rede zone muscle

8. IF IF IF TWO of LaFell and the rookie WRs dont step up and be reliable - not all world - (a Patten, a Givens or hopefully a Branch etc) then we need to add at least one WR.

If I had my wish they would look to be dominant on the O line and D line and have special talents at LB. We might have three very good LBs (mayo for sure, Hightower looks very good.. to me.... and Collins is looking very promising). So a stud NT or stud DT or a stud DE/DT plus depth at DE would be WONDERFUL. Add a stud C and and Graham capiber TE (yes, name someone else, I am setting a floor here and Graham was a very good all purpose TE) and this is a frighteningly good team.

This translates into 3 starting caliber players and 2 quality depth players:

1. a very good Dlineman

2. and a very good C.

3. Add to that, a reasonably good DE or DT for depth

4. a reasonably good LB for depth

5. and a solid all purpose TE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Being an optimist. the defense should be deeper and better than it has been in years. Some questions at DT, with Vince and Kelly coming back from injuries and being older. But Siliga, Jones, Vellano and Armstead, along with Fortson, give them some young depth that should be able to help give the older guys a breather without losing too much. The starters at DE and LB look solid if Mayo is healthy, these seem to be the areas where they need more bodies for depth. The CBs should be very much improves with Revis and Browner. Dennard, Ryan and Arrington are now nickel/dime package players instead of starters. McCourty is a solid free safety, he should be even better with 2 pro-bowl caliber CBs. Strong safety is a question, maybe Chung and Harmon (or Gregory if he's back) improve with better CBs as well? I think this is the end of Tavon Wilson and possibly Ebner.

Brady is Brady, no big question there unless the unthinkable happens. OL needs another quality inside guy. If Vollmer can stay healthy the OTs should be solid. Gronk is the key as to TE and whether the O needs another playmaker. Can he finally stay healthy for a full year? Would love to add another stud TE. I think the young WRs from last year, along with Lafell, should be just fine. Hopefully Harrison can be more than a special teamer. Ridley and Vareen are OK as a 1-2 combination, would like to add a true 3rd down back (think Faulk, Woodhead). Don't know why everyone is down on Bolden, but he's a solid backup. Bring in another FB as competition, but Develin is fine in his role. 

There really are not going to be many roster spots open. Backup DE and LB, maybe add a safety, an O lineman or two and a TE. Whether through the draft, whats left of the FA's or other teams cut players, these can be filled. 

Sections
Shortcuts