What's more important from the defensive line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

What's more important from the defensive line?

Constant pressure on the QB so he's forced to make a quick throw that May go incomplete or picked off or Sack's? Just want your guys honestly opinion regarding any defensive front 4.. Trolls are welcome to add their own opinion as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: What's more important from the defensive line?

I'm happy with either one really, the pressure definitely has a negative effect on the quarterback and leads to picks. The sacks push them further back into 3rd and long situations and sometimes causes fumbles.

I think that Jones is going to have a monster year, I'd like to see someone else step up and apply pressure from the other side as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

If you make any QB have to make quick decision's the end result Is alot of pick's or incomplete passes. Its really useless to have 1 Elite passrusher when all you have to do is double team him and Make him invisible, but if the front 4 can equally push the pocket back Forcing a QB to throw without giving him time to scan the field The end result is a pass falling too short or intercepted. Bequette-Love-Vince-Jones, thats the front 4 I want to see Constant pressure from I could careless about the sacks, Make the QB throw quick and not on time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll take consistent pressure all day. Honestly even the best pass rushing team might get 4-5 sacks a game average. That's not even a sack a series which could or couldn't affect the game. But, if you are consistently getting to the QB whether you get the sack or not you are getting into the QB's head. You could affect 3+ passes a series which will lead to a lot more 3rd and longs and lame duck passes to int then 4-5 sacks a game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

No question in my mind that heat, pressure on a regular basis is more important than the number of sacks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I'll echo the majority seen here so far.  The Pats need to get pressure and quit getting burned so much in the passing game which has resulted in an ungodly amount of 3 and long situations in which the other team got a first down.  That, in itself, was the most frustrating part of the D last season.  We'd see solid stops on downs 1 & 2, with the other team in some sort of 3rd and 6-7+ yards to go and BAM.. the 3rd down play, most often a pass play, nets a first down!
    Of all the things from last season I'd like to see fixed, it is that aspect of the D the most!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

In response to "Re: What's more important from the defensive line?":
    I'll echo the majority seen here so far.  The Pats need to get pressure and quit getting burned so much in the passing game which has resulted in an ungodly amount of 3 and long situations in which the other team got a first down.  That, in itself, was the most frustrating part of the D last season.  We'd see solid stops on downs 1 & 2, with the other team in some sort of 3rd and 6-7+ yards to go and BAM.. the 3rd down play, most often a pass play, nets a first down! Of all the things from last season I'd like to see fixed, it is that aspect of the D the most! Posted by agcsbill
    Its hard for any secondary to glue themselves to a wide receiver when the front 4 cant atleast pressure the QB, thus giving the receivers time to seperate and the QB 4-6 seconds to scan the field for a receiver that is open. Im not asking for a sack im asking for pressure, pressure causes bad plays and 3 outs, with that u win games and superbowls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Force the QB to move out of his comfort zone and make mistakes. Sacks are just a stat but they help when the QB fumbles or loses yards. Constant pressure keeps our db from having to cover for so long. I think that's been the problem. Even Revis would lose his man for a few second if he had to cover as long as our guys have at times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Consistent pressure and space-eating/gap integrity from the DTs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Consistent pressure and space-eating/gap integrity from the DTs. Posted by JohnHannahrulz
    We have gap eating bodies in the middle in Vince and Love, Vince for sure can beat one on one and get pressure, Ive seen love do it as well but can love do it play after play. Im not sold on the passrush till I see more from Jones and whoever is gonna put putting pressure on thee other end, ( My hope is that its bequette pushing that side). We can have 2 great passrushers but all that does is make the QB move up in the pocket and get away from them if the DT cant push the pocket back into the QB. Kyle love is BIG, but many times I've seen him get pushed around as if he was a training dummy. We have the talent for a top 5 defense regardless what any pats fan or troll may think. Gimme constant pressure and a zero sack season from this team and a superbowl win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Pressure is great, but gap integrity is what BB has built his defense's on imo. Limit the other team to passing by shutting down the run game. THEN go after the QB when you know you have less chance of getting burned by a screen or something. Take away the opponents best weapons(in todays day and age it is the passing game, just look at us) and make them one dimensional(again look at what it does to us) and then go after their QB. Gap integrity, shutting down one half of the offense and being able to predict when the other will be used. This is is the key for a BB D-line and a BB defense imo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

4-3 all day... Always send four.... I love the Giants Dline and what Tennessee did a few years back.

It all starts in the trenches is the most important aspect of football IMO.

Second most important statement is:  Any given Sunday. 

From there you start with X's and O's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A three man front in the 3/4 means we have 3 healthy, powerful D-tackles up front occupying 5 blockers and hopefully, talent willing, beating them on occasion. 

This will allow Chandler Jones, Ninckovich, Bequette, Cunningham, Scott and whoever else is outside blow up pass plays and smother run plays. 

Since game one where it was prevalent, we havn't seen much 3/4, the only time we've seen it since was on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and short situations. 

Belichick has been experimenting with the new 2/5/4 alignment and the 2/4/5 we saw a lot of last year.  Since a lot of defense is played in space nowadays Belichick is redefining the defensive game once again.  

I still hope we see a lot of 3/4 in the regular season but the days of three #1 draft picks across the front line are long gone.  Then again the re-emergence of Ron Brace gives one hope.

When BB does run the four man front in the regular season, I hope eventually that Wilfork and Brace will be inside and Jones and Bequette playing defensive end will provide explosive pressure.  

To run this 4 man front you need a lot of talent at all four positions, all four guys have to be a threat to beat their blocker at all times or the alignment is without teeth.  Much of the miles of yardage, poor defense and little pressure that occurred early on last year's defense was the result of this lack of training camp, lack of talent across the front and Belichick saving his D Tackles for the post season.

We're a 3/4 team that runs nickel alignments regularly... if we run a lot of 3/4 this season it's because we've retained health among our D tackles and the young linebackers have learned how to play outside linebacker, so they can do more than just rush the passer.  This will be the best case scenario...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

In Response to Re: What's more important from the defensive line?:
    In response to "Re: What's more important from the defensive line?": We have gap eating bodies in the middle in Vince and Love, Vince for sure can beat one on one and get pressure, Ive seen love do it as well but can love do it play after play. Im not sold on the passrush till I see more from Jones and whoever is gonna put putting pressure on thee other end, ( My hope is that its bequette pushing that side). We can have 2 great passrushers but all that does is make the QB move up in the pocket and get away from them if the DT cant push the pocket back into the QB. Kyle love is BIG, but many times I've seen him get pushed around as if he was a training dummy. We have the talent for a top 5 defense regardless what any pats fan or troll may think. Gimme constant pressure and a zero sack season from this team and a superbowl win.
    Posted by No-Mercy-Defence

I'm with ya on this one. DT was my darkhorse pick in the first two rounds of the 2012 draft. That and an OG with versaility. Pressure up the middle is great, but I was asked about the defense. If you got gap integrity you have the LBs making plays where and when they're supposed to make them. Fork can play anywhere on the line and would look good stunting with Jones when double-teamed. The offenses are so precise that you have to get pressure on a hot read and time is of the essence. To me JPP's batted footballs are as legitmate as sacks. Yeah i get it Jones is a DE with DE strength, but to he has OLB speed and needs only to develop instincts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'll echo the majority seen here so far.  The Pats need to get pressure and quit getting burned so much in the passing game which has resulted in an ungodly amount of 3 and long situations in which the other team got a first down.  That, in itself, was the most frustrating part of the D last season.  We'd see solid stops on downs 1 & 2, with the other team in some sort of 3rd and 6-7+ yards to go and BAM.. the 3rd down play, most often a pass play, nets a first down! Of all the things from last season I'd like to see fixed, it is that aspect of the D the most! Posted by agcsbill
    Nothing like the dreaded 3 man rush that allows the opposing QB to survey the field only too find an open receiver 20 yards down field for a 1st down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think there's anything that can change a defense more than the defensive line - it can cover up a secondary and protect your linebackers. There is nothing like being able to rush four guys and not having to blitz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

I want more consistancy from kyle love when hes next to Vince, I know hes a big body, but to see the guy get pushed back with that big frame of his is hard to watch. I know brace is a big body guy too, but i godda see more from him as well, does he have strength to hold up on the run, Yup, but how about rushing the passer from the interior. Who's gonna rush opposite Jones, Bequette,NinK, Cunningham. I expect great things from Jones but we just havent seen enough, Couple flashes here and there. Maybe we should wait till week 4 of the regular seseason before we found out where we're really at.

Quick question guy's who will be our front 4, I would prefer this line up.

...................(Bequette)(Love)(Vince)(Jones).....................

Or maybe

...................(vince)(love)(Brace)(Jones)........................

Just a thought.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It I had to put my finger on a front 7 I'd saw it would be:

Nink         Love         Wilfork         Jones

Hightower                  Spikes                          Mayo

That seems to be the positions most of them have been playing the most in. Nink is very good at setting and edge so he helps to compensate for Love's weakness against the run and funnels the RB into a single gap where either Hightower or Spikes can fill with ease. Jones is still a a question in the run game so you have a quicker Mayo who can get to the edge if need be and Wilfork can cover the inside gap allowing Jones to basically not have to worry about either the edge or inside gap and just use his strengths to get to the QB

Of course Brace would backup Love, Deadrick would back up Wilfork, Bequette would backup Jones, and Scott would backup Nink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I too notice that Love gets pushed around in the running game, but I haven't noticed it as much this pre season (I don't know if I'm just not looking for it as much or what). I do notice that he gets a pretty good pass rush for a guy his size - and I noticed this last year as well. Brace looks huge to me...even bigger than before and he looks like he's is playing real well in the run game. I really hate to get my hopes up over him, but he actually looks like a big run stopping defensive lineman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

What a great thread from everyone...that means only a repetitive response here.
    Yep, push the pocket so the QB can't step up and will need to move. Got power LB'ers to close the gaps.

Brace particularly seems an improved DL from last year - I was about to give up on him. I think Bill has already seen the great motor from Beuquette on the other side as well. I suspect/expect more turnovers from the D this year. I think the Pats coaches are thrilled to see what they have on D now. Quality situational subs as well.

Keep up the good work ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I agree, Brace has looked good, he's been getting a nice push inside. Lets hope he stays healthy this year. Beuquette didn't get very good reviews after his last game, I forget where I read that but I thought that he did pretty well. He was very close to getting the QB on several plays, he did when he got the penalty. He's got a great motor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

I think we will know what we're gonna be dealing with come week 1 of the regular season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I agree, Brace has looked good, he's been getting a nice push inside. Lets hope he stays healthy this year. Beuquette didn't get very good reviews after his last game, I forget where I read that but I thought that he did pretty well. He was very close to getting the QB on several plays, he did when he got the penalty. He's got a great motor.
    Posted by sporter81

Bequette plays like an emotional azzh0le.  I like it...  His just needs to learn to stay cool in avoiding flags while keeping that motor revving...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: What's more important from the defensive line? : Bequette plays like an emotional azzh0le.  I like it...  His just needs to learn to stay cool in avoiding flags while keeping that motor revving...
    Posted by Getzo

I have high hopes for Bequette! I think with time he will turn out to be a good player for us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: What's more important from the defensive line? : I have high hopes for Bequette! I think with time he will turn out to be a good player for us.
    Posted by TrueChamp

He just had this look on his face after that flag that kinda made me happy.  I knew he was made about hurting his team and he wanted to take it out on the QB or anyone with the ball in their hands.  Just needs to learn the game...

Sections
Shortcuts