What's more important from the defensive line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: What's more important from the defensive line?

In Response to Re: What's more important from the defensive line?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: What's more important from the defensive line?": Nothing like the dreaded 3 man rush that allows the opposing QB to survey the field only too find an open receiver 20 yards down field for a 1st down.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

ahhh.... the dreaded three man rush. it's pretty predictable too. they more consistently do it when they have the lead in the 3rd or 4th.

if you a dvr and recordings of those games, you would also notice that the effectiveness of the 3-man rush declines late int he game. it may be because the other team figures it out (if they know to always expect a 3 man rush, the rushers will of course have a harder time). i also think that late in the game, it's difficult for vw and love to push as hard as they are getting gassed at that stage.

i don't see their approach to 3rd and long to change. that said, they now have more talent all around the front 7. the pressure can come from anywhere. i am hoping they rotate the 3 front better so vw and love will ahve more in teh 4th. i believe that will help them have stronger three man rush later in the game.

i expect them to go mostly 34 on some games and 43 in others, depending on what they think will work better against the opposing o.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: What's more important from the defensive line?": Nothing like the dreaded 3 man rush that allows the opposing QB to survey the field only too find an open receiver 20 yards down field for a 1st down.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's very frustrating. The qb has all day back there when that happens, very tough on the secondary, nobody's going to be able to cover that long.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's more important from the defensive line? : Bequette plays like an emotional azzh0le.  I like it...  His just needs to learn to stay cool in avoiding flags while keeping that motor revving...
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

He was a good pickup, saw him play at Arkansas a few times. He was always making plays, goes non stop every down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It's ying and yang.  Offense is equally important as our defensive play...and vice versa. Even within the defense alone, the varying schemes that BB is "experimenting with" is because we haven't had much of a pass rush (altho our run d is pretty good). Since our ability to cover is below average, BB has been trying to cover up secondary weakness w/ better OLB or DE play. Hasn't happened very well in several years.  Conversely, our pass offense was doing pretty well - running game has been up and down over the pass 3-4 years, and OL protecting the passer has been above average for quite a while.  The OL is just as important as our DL. In regards to protecting an immobile QB like Brady, the OL is probably most important.  Possibly, w/ a guy like Mallet, the pocket protection still has to be good - but they have to get a feel for where he moves when flushed out of pocket.  And of course, the running game and screens can help overly aggressive defenses who are trying to get to Brady - so, coach play calling can be important too..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Bequette will be a solid player, here's to a solid season and maybe a superbowl win!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]It I had to put my finger on a front 7 I'd saw it would be:           Nink         Love         Wilfork         Jones Hightower                  Spikes                          Mayo That seems to be the positions most of them have been playing the most in. Nink is very good at setting and edge so he helps to compensate for Love's weakness against the run and funnels the RB into a single gap where either Hightower or Spikes can fill with ease. Jones is still a a question in the run game so you have a quicker Mayo who can get to the edge if need be and Wilfork can cover the inside gap allowing Jones to basically not have to worry about either the edge or inside gap and just use his strengths to get to the QB Of course Brace would backup Love, Deadrick would back up Wilfork, Bequette would backup Jones, and Scott would backup Nink
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

nicely done, now if they can convert whats on paper.

still you gotta have dbs that can perform. and  weve had underperformers for a while

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I want to knock kids DOWN.  I want pressure like Brady has been getting on him.  We have done it the other way, last two years guys were *almost* there, continually.  I want to HIT the QB every play.  EVERY SINGLE PLAY.  Smack him somewhere on his body that is legal, harrass him, frustrate him, make him angry, antsy, and nervous.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

As the league has changed the rules, to allow for higher scoring, you simply must put pressure on the QB. Along with that you must have DBs who hit receivers off the line. Without QB pressure having DBs playing off receivers won't work as after 5 yds the receivers become a protected species.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Not sacks.  Sacks are pretty far back in the line. 

If the QB can run, containment is also important.

Filling up the passing lanes, especially with Chandler Jones, is useful in two ways.  First, if the QB likes to step forward when he throws and he can't step forward, it wrecks his accuracy.  Second, if a guy is wide open but Jones is in the passing lane, the QB can't risk a tip and an interception.  Jones alone can leap and take a swat at anything at any height.