What's needed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFanInFlorida. Show BostonFanInFlorida's posts

What's needed?

Ok folks, I realize that we are just 3 games into the pre-season and although we are eveluating as we go, we really don't have film or the real insights that BB has which  makes this post just a fans perception.

So, that having been said and with cuts and possible trades / signings coming up, here is what I think we need in order of importance:

1. DL - We need a DE stud to take some of the pressure off of Wilfolk. I hope that we get a great choice with the Oakland pick because we gave up Seymour in advance for one and more likely two years. Would anyone be happy to see Seymour right about now. There are hopes for some of the younger players but folks like Pryor or Deadrick project to down the road at least in my opinion.

2. OLB - Unless Cunningham shows up and makes a huge difference or if they somehow convert one of the ILB's I think we are hurting here and without some new personell, we will need multiple blitz packages.

3. OL - run game looks decent but pass protection has been a bit weak in my opinion. maybe this will all work out.

4. RB - I really think that BB is playing with us and somehow putting Mulroney in his place. I list this hear for argument sake but in reality my gut tells me tha RB by committee will work this year assuming few injuries

Please add your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Re: What's needed?

here's my problem with thinking the Seymour trade is the be all end all for the Pats. What if Oakland finsihes at 9 and 7? Pats needs are clearly OL, DL, OLB, RB. Assume Oakland finishes at 8 and 8 and the Pats 9 and 7. Picking middle of the pack does not promise a stud OL or DL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

fans who have patience in a rebuilding defense. i think the offense is not a problem

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFanInFlorida. Show BostonFanInFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: What's needed?:
    here's my problem with thinking the Seymour trade is the be all end all for the Pats. What if Oakland finsihes at 9 and 7? Pats needs are clearly OL, DL, OLB, RB. Assume Oakland finishes at 8 and 8 and the Pats 9 and 7. Picking middle of the pack does not promise a stud OL or DL.
    Posted by ronk1

Plus they basically got Seymour for two years and we gor nada!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: What's needed? : Plus they basically got Seymour for two years and we gor nada!
    Posted by BostonFanInFlorida

We were never going to retain Seymore, and he would have left this year regarless.  So enduing up with Oak's Number 1 Pick is a great move if you ask me.  ust wish we did something to get another rusher in, but I'm still saying this trade was well worth it.  2 first rounders, and 2 second rounders is huge.. This team will be stacked in 2 to 3 years. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Posted by ronk1

and if they end up mid pack. BB might trade the pick for a late 1st rounder with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to What's needed?:
    [QUOTE]Ok folks, I realize that we are just 3 games into the pre-season and although we are eveluating as we go, we really don't have film or the real insights that BB has which  makes this post just a fans perception. So, that having been said and with cuts and possible trades / signings coming up, here is what I think we need in order of importance:

1. DL - We need a DE stud to take some of the pressure off of Wilfolk. I hope that we get a great choice with the Oakland pick because we gave up Seymour in advance for one and more likely two years. Would anyone be happy to see Seymour right about now. There are hopes for some of the younger players but folks like Pryor or Deadrick project to down the road at least in my opinion.

------- Wright, lewis, Warren, Brace, Pryor, Deadrick...
    I am willing to audition these guys becasue they are much less expensive than Seymour and someone out of this group will prove he is worthy of splitting reps.

Hopefully G Warren, Wright and Brace WILL prove themselves while TY Warren is getting rested up for next year.

2. OLB - Unless Cunningham shows up and makes a huge difference or if they somehow convert one of the ILB's I think we are hurting here and without some new personell, we will need multiple blitz packages.

----- We either need to take someone elses trash or we make due with what we have. Cunningham better be good..... Or make a trade. the question is trade for WHO? There are not too many people available.

3. OL - run game looks decent but pass protection has been a bit weak in my opinion. maybe this will all work out.

------ The OL is sufficent, way better than most without Mankins TOP 2 with Mankins. There are more important needs with these draft picks...

4. RB - I really think that BB is playing with us and somehow putting Mulroney in his place. I list this hear for argument sake but in reality my gut tells me tha RB by committee will work this year assuming few injuries Please add your thoughts.

------ Maroney scored TWO tuchdowns in game one of the preseason! Law Firm ran it down that field and Maroney punched it in..... BB is just messing with people on this rotation bull. Maroney already had his shot in the first game.

I think law firm is on the bubble which is why he got a LONG look in the first game. Maroney is entrenched becasue he is cheap.

Splits; Taylor; 1st, 2nd down, Faulk 3rd and long; Morris 3 or 4 and inches; Maroney Goal Line. BJBE - plays ST, Backs up Morris on the short yardage stuff OR he gets traded.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from choppabrady. Show choppabrady's posts

Did you see BB's press conference after the Rams game?  Typical for him for a loss, but obviously he is VERY ANGRY and concerned.  Certainly did not look like a BB feared defense of old.  Remember when the Pats D frustrated the "great Peyton Manning"?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Pats shot themselves in the foot this winter on a few things, despite building a team capable of winning this season.

So this is an UNCAPPED season as we all know...

Only the Cowboys franchise is worth more than NE...

Kraft had the perfect chance to just pay out the wazoo this year to extend guys (Brady, Mankins) and add some solid veteran FA's (Dansby, Faneca) with upfront $ and contracts that look great in the future years where there will be a cap.

But we don't make any free agent splashes... and during the draft instead of trading into the future again, draft Jared Odrick, who was right there for you, and still have every other rookie on this club. 

I'd also have traded up from the Cunningham pick and taken Koa Misi who I really liked more around the draft as a Seau/Phifer type and who has been good this preseason. We need more athletes at OLB, not project college DE converts. Both TBC and Burgess played some 4-3 end in their careers. They are both situational pass rusher types and semi-starters, thats who we should have in that role, not Crable or Cunningham. Misi/Dansby are both in Miami and are both going to create havoc in the AFC East for years.

I'd have traded Brace at the draft after having extended Wilfork, selling him to teams as a quality young lineman with size (can't teach that) who was only drafted in the event Wilfork walked.

Those moves would have given us the veteran pass rusher from the OLB position that Adalius was supposed to be and a tough young pure OLB that could start right away or at least slowly steal minutes away from TBC/Burgess.

Odrick would start right away, with Gerard Warren, bookending Vince. Ty Warren could have had his hip surgery right after the season and just been on the 6 week PUP this year. Blaaaaahhhh.

Faneca/Neal is a good veteran combo that would split time to hopefully avoid the injury bug. He also likely held a grudge against NYJ and is known as a great locker room guy.

Mankins and Brady deserved to get paid.

So I agree with those who say both lines and the OLB position needed to be beefed up and were not.

Other than that we look solid. Young athletes in the secondary. Deep & balanced, if not one star, at RB. Revamped and nasty TE's, ILB's and WR's. Great kicker, rookie punter and special teams. Oh, and Tom Brady...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

fans who have patience in a rebuilding defense. i think the offense is not a problem
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Exactly kansas, everyone wants immediate gratification, it's going to take some of the rookies and 2nd year players a few years until they start reaching their full potential. Once they do we could have a strong defense for pretty much the next decade. I still think they'll end up being a top 10 defense in points this year.

The offense will be one of the top 3 this season. Plenty of WR's and TE's for Brady to throw too. Nice mix of vets and youth. I expect the running back by committee to get us around 120 yards per game. Offensive line has some question marks but so did the the same OLines in the Super Bowl years. We have one of the best OLine coaches and don't be surprised if we are saying Login who at the end of the year.

Sections
Shortcuts