What's the answer to the blitz?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdawg. Show jdawg's posts

What's the answer to the blitz?

Let's not jump the gun. The Patriots don't stink. They stunk in that game. It makes sense that Brady is rusty and it makes sense that early in the season all the kinks aren't worked out yet. I think the defense, considering how young it is, is playing really well. And as much as I loved Bruschi back in the day, I think the team is better off with younger and quicker talent. But it will take time for them to gain experience.

The real problem is that we need some offense to allow the defense to grow into its potential. I think the reason they lost this game is they were out-coached. Specifically, Belichick had no answer for Ryan's blitzing schemes. And you can't just blame the offensive line for that--5 guys can't block 7 guys every time. This was a really impressive loss, because Brady and Belichick just couldn't figure it out. 

Not only was Belichick unable to find a way to block the blitzers, but neither Belichick nor Brady could figure out who was open as a result which was painful to watch and something I don't think I've really seen before. I expected the second half to be the implementation of an answer. They usually have Brady making quick throws in anticipation of the blitz, but in this case, it seemed the only one was the quick shot to (Edelman in this case) at the line and it looked like that was the one thing the Jets prepared all week to eliminate. Where were the creative screens? In fact, what was up with the play calling in general? Was that the problem? Normally wouldn't Kevin Faulk be catching passes out of the backfield all day when there are blitzes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: What's the answer to the blitz?

I honestly blame the Offensive Coordinator (QB Coach) for the lose. I don't know what they went over all week but I'm guessing Welker had alot to do with it. If he didn't, we need a real OC. Why the hell we threw the ball 44 times is beyond my comprehension. Taylor had a hot hand (Avg. 5.8 yards a carry), he was starting to get in stride. We went from being the greatest show that glows to being very unoriginal both on offense and defense. 

I miss Mickey D. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In Response to What's the answer to the blitz?:
    [QUOTE]Let's not jump the gun. The Patriots don't stink. They stunk in that game. It makes sense that Brady is rusty and it makes sense that early in the season all the kinks aren't worked out yet. I think the defense, considering how young it is, is playing really well. And as much as I loved Bruschi back in the day, I think the team is better off with younger and quicker talent. But it will take time for them to gain experience. The real problem is that we need some offense to allow the defense to grow into its potential. I think the reason they lost this game is they were out-coached. Specifically, Belichick had no answer for Ryan's blitzing schemes. And you can't just blame the offensive line for that--5 guys can't block 7 guys every time. This was a really impressive loss, because Brady and Belichick just couldn't figure it out.  Not only was Belichick unable to find a way to block the blitzers, but neither Belichick nor Brady could figure out who was open as a result which was painful to watch and something I don't think I've really seen before. I expected the second half to be the implementation of an answer. They usually have Brady making quick throws in anticipation of the blitz, but in this case, it seemed the only one was the quick shot to (Edelman in this case) at the line and it looked like that was the one thing the Jets prepared all week to eliminate. Where were the creative screens? In fact, what was up with the play calling in general? Was that the problem? Normally wouldn't Kevin Faulk be catching passes out of the backfield all day when there are blitzes?
    Posted by jdawg[/QUOTE]
    It is FLIPPIN SIMPLE, throw in some screen passes, run some mor draw plays, line up and smash the ball and quit throwing on first down. Whoever the OC is, I could do a better job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

You can use double tight end sets, or 2 RB formations to add blockers.   Pats run mostly 1 back set which limits your blitz pickup.   I didn't see much of the double and triple tight end formations we saw against the Bills.  The Pats offense has some arogance in that it trys to spread everyone out regardless of defensive scheme.  They were stopped cold by the Jets.  Time to swallow your pride and play real offense again and balance your run/pass. Brady was at his very best running play action passes under Charlie Weiss.  Pats don't even use it anymore which is a shame.  Establish the run and the play action will work.    Over the past couple years they abandon the running game  too quickly and it hurts them badly.  I wish the new OC would run first, pass 2nd, makes Brady much better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In Response to Re: What's the answer to the blitz?:
    [QUOTE]You can use double tight end sets, or 2 RB formations to add blockers.   Pats run mostly 1 back set which limits your blitz pickup.   I didn't see much of the double and triple tight end formations we saw against the Bills.  The Pats offense has some arogance in that it trys to spread everyone out regardless of defensive scheme.  They were stopped cold by the Jets.  Time to swallow your pride and play real offense again and balance your run/pass. Brady was at his very best running play action passes under Charlie Weiss.  Pats don't even use it anymore which is a shame.  Establish the run and the play action will work.    Over the past couple years they abandon the running game  too quickly and it hurts them badly.  I wish the new OC would run first, pass 2nd, makes Brady much better.
    Posted by RiceintheHall[/QUOTE]This is a perfect assesment of their offense. The Giants started the gameplan of pressuring Brady. If a team has the personel to blitz and they have good cover corners such as Revis they can effectively stop the Patriots offense. They need to be able to adapt, just like the SB loss to the Giants they could not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigonsmuggler. Show saigonsmuggler's posts

Maybe Brady has to recognize the blitzes better and audible either for more blockers (2 TE sets or TE in FB role) to pick up the free rusher coming thru the line or audible for outside receivers to either run slants or quick comeback routes for quick reads and dump offs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnmoore4. Show johnmoore4's posts

Jdawg has this wired.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdawg. Show jdawg's posts

Maybe the game plan was (and maybe they do this often) establishing the threat of the vertical attack, which then would set up everything else. One or two bombs to Moss--even incompletions that are close--set up everything else: running game, short passes etc. This in combination with Brady's proven capacity for reading defenses would make opening up the playbook possible. But the Jets didn't worry about it, trusting that Ryan's schemes would be enough to confuse Brady. That's what's so amazing. I mean as a fan, I'm quite biased, but I don't think I've seen Brady so confused. Even in the superbowl against the Giants they were able to move the ball. So maybe Ryan's plan was built on knowing that Brady won't make bad decisions, so make him incapable of making decisions, that is, disguise the coverage and disguise the blitz. You really only have to beat the blitz twice to disarm it. And Belichick thought "we won't even acknowledge your blitz, we'll just make it irrelevant by beating it." That's only good if it works though--so I can understand the arrogance argument. But it really was like watching Brady try to play with his hands tied. I would say, go for the two tight-end sets and run those damn screens.

It's time to respect the blitz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

The patriots should try an interesting formation - where they line Vollmer up as a TE but a pass protecting TE, to help prevent pressure against the blitz. 6 lineman instead of 5. Implement draw plays and screen passes to faulk in the flats. Extra protection give time for welker and moss to get open down field.

Galloway       Welker       Light Mankins Koppen Neal Kazcur Vollmer       Moss

Brady        Faulk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm surprised by the lack of 2 TE's sets,lets face it it would be wiser to protect your asset than leave him exposed.Light has been eaten up 2 weeks in a row.OH well change the scheme and add more blockers!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

One point, there was no basis to study the Jets.  By the time they play again there will be something to study.  Heck. I thought I had heard they were even studying Baltimore film. 

The jets are a good team, somehow they peaked last year against the Pats and then crapped the bed the rest of the year.  (That last game against Miami..yeeeessh....not even the same team.)

We'll get better.  Whether we're among the elite. I dunno.  Saw some good football teams this weekend (i.e. Jets Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Bears, Giants, Cowboys and Saints).  Good test next Sunday....Jets vs Saints

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The Saints have a smoking hot offense right now.  Seeing how they do against the Jets D will be interesting.  

After looking at one of Reiss' blogs today, it might be decent speculation to say our gameplan was to tire out the Jets D by using a quick tempo offense.  To be fair, it almost worked.  Before the half they were actually starting to act fatigued.  Our gameplan fell apart in the second half.  In order to tire out their D, we needed to get their O off the field quick.  We didn't do that as well in the 2nd half.  The Jets D was able to rest, and thus they were able to keep blitzing.  A somewhat risky strategy.  Rookie QB and all, betting you can keep a team doing 3 and outs all game is tough.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Screen passes and run the bloody ball

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Penalties were a big reason we didn't run as much as we would like.  I'm not saying the penalties were unjust, but on many, many of our drives, we were put in 1st and 20, 2nd and 20 situations, and the only thing you can run then is a draw. 

If the Pats had just not made as many mistakes to cause penalties (for example, practice to some loud Bon Jovi music like they usually do before a loud dome game), the offense probably would have gotten the job done.  And if Edelman had been just slightly better (not bobbling as many balls) and been on the same page as Brady, we would have gotten some more points. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

From reading these responses it sounds like there are a variety of things that are wrong with the offense. 

As bad as it was, one or two plays would have made the difference in the score.

I was surprised that Bardy did throw many screen passes (i cannot even remember one.  Th pats rush average was 4.2 YPC was better than the Jets but we really never established a running game.  A lot of dropped passes and hurried throws by Brady pretty much sunk the offense.   

The speed of the game was too fast for brady at this point.  he is still not up to speed and it is going to take several more games for the offense to click. 

But from this point forward even teams that do not blitz a lot are going to figure out that that is the only way to slow NE down.  As a result I expect NE to continue to work on protecting brady by mixing things up a bit and as someone else mentioned using double tight ends, draw plays, screens, quick slants, etc.

I do not think however that anyone should over react to the loss.  I thought Edelman was a real bright spot and I can see both him and Welker in the game at the same time.  They are tough covers and excellent weapons against an agressive pass rush.  NE could be 2-3 after  5 games.  I think we have plenty of time to let this team develop.  This was not always a high scoring team.  It would be real interesting if the Defense ended up waiting for the offense to catch up!

dboss

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: What's the answer to the blitz?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Brady has to recognize the blitzes better and audible either for more blockers (2 TE sets or TE in FB role) to pick up the free rusher coming thru the line or audible for outside receivers to either run slants or quick comeback routes for quick reads and dump offs.
    Posted by saigonsmuggler[/QUOTE]

Recognizing the blitzes wasn't the issue.  The plays called either needed time to develop or needed to counter the blitz with quick hitting action.  For some reason the Pats failed to adapt well enough.  Not a draw play, screen pass or sweep to keep the blitz ruch honest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Rice in the Hall, I agree.  I said 2 years ago after the Bills game early on in Foxboro, and I so wanted us to lose a game.  We were getting to cocky thinking it's all about the Offense and 19-0.  I knew we were in trouble.  No run game because Brady is as great a passer as Manning.  Who cares!!  Manning in playoff losses averages about 12 points a game.  That stinks as did our 14 points in loss to Giants.  We had no running game, and then last year with the development of a solid running game, Cassell and CO. were a much better Offense than 07 team down the stretch.  We need more of a 2 tightend set, 1 or 2 running backs, and all 4 players prepare to block and then send some of them out for passes.  

We need to run block because it gets the O-line angry and jacked up to push the heck out of the D line.  Establish the run, and use the pass wisely, which we didn't do in 07 and by midseason the entire league figured the simplicity of our offense:  Throw, throw, and throw some more.

We will not win it all with the 07 pass all the time offense.

Sections
Shortcuts