What's Up With Percy Harvin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What's Up With Percy Harvin?

I just turned on KFAN and the Vikings Rubes are all worked up about Percy Harvin maybe dropping out of the first round of the draft. Did I miss something? Any thoughts as to what might be going on with Percy Harvin?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: What's Up With Percy Harvin?

Really? Everything i have seen on this kid has said he is a round one WR no doubt. I wonder why someone would have him droping? I am ok with him droping if it some how by some kind of magic moves Brian Robiski from Ohio State up haha. I think Robiski from Ohio is teh best WR in this whole draft and i really really hope we draft him in round 2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

They had an article yesterday (I forget the site, but I think it was a link from MSNBC.com) which said he failed a pee test at the combine for smoking weed. Although I don't think that's a big deal for playing football, a lot of teams may be wary. At the least he should have had the discipline to stay clean for that! It will bring up concerns about his commitment to the game. Bad decision in any case. Let the Vikings have him. Though I loved his game as a Gator, he was injured quite a bit, and Florida WRs have been a huge gamble in the past.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea I wouldnt want us to draft a FL WR again not after Chad

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Harvin out of the first? I have seen crazier things, but I thought that the big hits on Desean Jackson, Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson last season would have people all over him, despite his injury history and lack of refinement as a WR or RB.

The bottom line is that he is a freak athlete. He is quick *and* fast, very strong for his size. He can jump and cut.

The problem is that the only real routes he has run have been in practice as he was always used as a free agent in the Gator system. That puts him, as far as development, a step behind the regular Florida WR crowd, who are known for having trouble adjusting to the complex and refined schemes at the NFL level.

But I can't see a situation where at least one team in the first takes a crack at him just based on what he can do with the ball in his hands-- and the seeming NFL wide mandate for speed in all phases. I mean he clocked a 4.38 40, and his coaches thought it was slow for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I live down here in Gator land and I'm here to tell you there are 5 Gators that if the Patriots draft them they will be happy to have gotten.Harvin is the absolute bomb,he in no way shape or form resembles Jackson! They have 2 Olinemen Watkins and Trautwien both are biggins!!Then there is the TE Ingram and the other wideout Murphy..So as you can see there are some quality players on the way to the NFL by way of The Uof Fla.To be honest with you if the Patriots want to become a super intimidating offense they should draft Harvin if he drops to the Patriots at #34.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

PFT has had about an article a day since the "drug test leaks" came out about Harvin and a few others. It seems very possible that we'll only see Crabtree, Maclin, and DHB from the WR position drafted in the first round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

Harvin out of the first? I have seen crazier things, but I thought that the big hits on Desean Jackson, Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson last season would have people all over him, despite his injury history and lack of refinement as a WR or RB. The bottom line is that he is a freak athlete. He is quick *and* fast, very strong for his size. He can jump and cut. The problem is that the only real routes he has run have been in practice as he was always used as a free agent in the Gator system. That puts him, as far as development, a step behind the regular Florida WR crowd, who are known for having trouble adjusting to the complex and refined schemes at the NFL level. But I can't see a situation where at least one team in the first takes a crack at him just based on what he can do with the ball in his hands-- and the seeming NFL wide mandate for speed in all phases. I mean he clocked a 4.38 40, and his coaches thought it was slow for him.
    Posted by zbellino

All of the Florida busts were Spurrier players, no?  I am not sure the stereotype holds anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Wasn't Myers the coach when Chad Jackson was in his last year? I think BB may still be wary. Besides, that's one of the least needed positions on the team. This draft is sick with defensive prospects. I don't see them going offense with any of the first three picks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea but Bub Belichick has a history of shocking us fans so you cant be sure about teh draft till draft day is over. Youa re right and we might just go defense early and offton but i would not be shocked at all if BB came out of nowhere and drafted a offensive player. I am personally hoping we draft a OT in round 1 and then go D in round 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I harbor no hatred for Harvin. However, his hemp habit hit him hard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Why is Harvin's stock dropping?? Read this: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/
    content/sports/epaper/2009/04/12/0412harvin.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think you draft a guy that fails a test at the combine.  Come on, they know when the combine is going to be and still smoke the stuff knowing a pee test is coming.  You either have to be really stupid or just don't care enough or worse are really addicted to it. I wouldn't take a kid that falls into any of those three categories. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

He would be an awesome weapon.  There are enough vets in the locker in Foxboro to keep him straight.  Randy Moss would command this kid's attention and respect.  NE would actually be ideal for the kid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from _008_. Show _008_'s posts

He would be an awesome weapon.  There are enough vets in the locker in Foxboro to keep him straight.  Randy Moss would command this kid's attention and respect.  NE would actually be ideal for the kid.
    Posted by BSII

I would have to agree, of all the teams Patriots would be the ideal place for someone like him.  Look at the leaders in the locker room with future hall of famers like Brady Moss, veterans like Seymour Fred Taylor and ROY Mayo as a teammate.  Oh and coach BB!  If we are purely looking at BPA at #23, Pats should take a very close look because in my opinion he's a top 10 talent and a bargain at #23! At #34 that's a no-brainer, he is an explosive big play threat when he touches the ball.  Harvin Crabtree Moreno are all explosive, just look at their game tapes and ignore the stupid cone drills and 40 runs in shorts.  He'll turn in some serious yards after catch. 

Now it all depends on how the draft board plays out.  At #23, you take the best player so let's ignore all the team needs for a second.  Guys like Darius Butler, Clay Matthews, Alphonso Smith, Connor Barwin are all great players...........but personally I would have a very hard time passing on studs like Pettigrew, Harvin and Moreno(rare but some mocks have him at late 1st rd). I would rather grab someone who "slips down" the board than someone who everyone projects to be there at #23.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The problem with Harvin is that type of player has problems translating their success into the pros. Remember everyone was so high on Reggie Bush a few years ago. But though he has been "productive", he hasn't really had a huge affect on the team. The NFL is a more stuctured game. So while we all would like to see an offense to rival the 07 team, it's the defense that has let them down the last few years. Unless a top player slips to 23, I see them trading it and waiting for 34. And I doubt Harvin would be the pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Why is Harvin's stock dropping?? Read this: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/ content/sports/epaper/2009/04/12/0412harvin.html
    Posted by TexasPat3

And people say the combine doesn't count.

While they may take some interest in the performances at the bench, etc, this is the kind of thing coaches look for.

1.) Drills, how the player can concentrate
    2.) How the player acts with coaches
    3.) How the player acts with other players
    4.) How focused they are
    5.) Who comes with them

If Harvin shows up with a posse, and pays passing attention to the coaches running the dirlls. Even if he posts up a sick 4.38 (which he did) he will fall like a stone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Bub I think your Bush analysis is correct. I think Bush in a role could have been far ahead of where he is though. I would say the same about Maroney and Josh.

Maybe if Urban had taken the stance that Pete Carrol and Zook did. Instead he went 5th amendment.

Carroll
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/carroll-denies-cushing-matthews-drug-rumors/

Zook
    http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/04/05/another-coach-pissed-over-failed-drug-test-rumor/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The difference is that Harvin was supposedly MJ, and Cushing and Mathews are (big suprise) supposedly steroids.

The latter reflects poorly on USC, which is why Carrol has to say something. Although, and I know this is unfair, I don't doubt both Cushing and Mathews use the roidage. They have classic chiseled roid physiques. Cushing more than Mathews.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Ya I know
    But if someone that has known you for 3/4 years won't back you .
    WHO WILL?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Prairiemike,

Are you kissing a goat in that avatar?  That's the worst avatar I've ever seen.  You seem like a knowledgeable Pat's fan but I have to say that I'm probably going to have to hit the "ignore button" on you just so I never have to look at that avatar again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The problem with Harvin is that type of player has problems translating their success into the pros. Remember everyone was so high on Reggie Bush a few years ago. But though he has been "productive", he hasn't really had a huge affect on the team. The NFL is a more stuctured game. So while we all would like to see an offense to rival the 07 team, it's the defense that has let them down the last few years. Unless a top player slips to 23, I see them trading it and waiting for 34. And I doubt Harvin would be the pick.
    Posted by bubthegrub2
    I disagree with the assessment of his not translating to the NFL Harvin is an ultra fast WR whose not afraid to go over the middle on a slant route,his YAK is other worldly plus he's a monster on Kickoff returns,he can play RB but is more of a Kevin Faulk type not a 3 down back,if he's avaiable at #23 and you are looking for the steal of the draft then look no further!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

And people say the combine doesn't count. While they may take some interest in the performances at the bench, etc, this is the kind of thing coaches look for. 1.) Drills, how the player can concentrate 2.) How the player acts with coaches 3.) How the player acts with other players 4.) How focused they are 5.) Who comes with them If Harvin shows up with a posse, and pays passing attention to the coaches running the dirlls. Even if he posts up a sick 4.38 (which he did) he will fall like a stone.
    Posted by zbellino
    First of all he has no posse,second of all he's a coaches dream,so I guess his fastest 40 of 4.28 will hold up!under your test!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This from SI's Don Banks on Harvin: 

* Teams have a real decision to make in regards to Florida receiver Percy Harvin. First, there's the whole Florida receiver/draft bust thing. Second, while no one at the NFL team level seems to yet have the results of the drug testing that took place at February's scouting combine, I've been told by one club official that Harvin has admitted he smoked pot as recently as January. If there's a prospect whose draft slot has a high degree of volatility that could result in him possibly slipping from the middle to the bottom of the first round, it's the ex-Gator.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Thing about Reggie Bush is that he wasn't a downfield receiving threat coming out of school.  The expectations of what he could do were probably too high.  

Percy would not to be asked to do too much in NE out of the gates.  He has the luxury of learning behind Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Joey Galloway.  He will be given a small package of plays each week and spend the rest of his time soaking in lessons from guys who have over 30 years NFL experience combined.  Anyone who watched Florida play knows this guy is special.  He appears to be a knucklehead, but so was Randy.  This is the right situation for him and gives the Pats another home run threat.  He can potentially return kicks, line up in the slot, in the backfield, even qb in a wildcat look.  Take him in the 1st and use the other picks on fat guys and defense.

Sections
Shortcuts