whats wrong with the team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: whats wrong with the team?

In Response to Re: whats wrong with the team?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: whats wrong with the team? : Would you say that the greatest problem with the offense, other than Brady's shaky start, Maroney's indecisiviness, Taylor's ankle, Light's knee, and Morris's age is the lack of a solid split end? 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Likeley that or the spotty play of the offensive line. On back to back weeks they allowed explosive strip sacks (Light then Mankins) and in week one a pick six on a blown up screen pass.

Like everything in this offense it is SPOTTY. Sometimes it is there, then it isn't. Fist half of the Broncos game it looks like they are going to win in a laugher. Second half, the laugh was on Brady and company.

Sometimes they can run. Other times, they are slow off the ball. Sometimes the passing offense just explodes, only to fall flat one play later.

The silver lining?

When Manning came back last season, through seven games he had:

61.1% Comp 1754 Yrd 10TD 9INT 79.0 rating

61.4% Comp  1344 Yrd 6TD  2INT  85.9 rating

Oh yeah, and the Ponies were also 3-4 heading into week 8.

Is he off? Yes. But it isn't that bad considering a year layoff.

I am going to guess that by week eight Brady has 10 or more TDs.
    No more than 3 INTs, although in all likelyhood we won't see any against the likes of TB and Tennessee.
    A rating in excess of 90.
    Over 2000 yards passing.
    And the Patriots will be 5-2, despite playing four playoff teams.

That isn't bad for a year off.

The trick is getting everyone on the offense to start making the plays they need to make to win the game.

No more 3 & Outs in the final five minutes. There just isn't an excuse for getting the ball with 3:30 left on the clock, and turning it back over to the other team with a two minute warning to spare.

And there is no excuse for leaving 7-14 points on the board every game.

They won't be the 2007 offense. Even that offense slowed by season's end. But there is no reason why this shouldn't be the highest scoring group in the NFL. They average 20, and leave an open TD on the field every week.

That will be ammended by mid season.

The irony is that coming in, I was prediciting a rocky start for the "D" with a noticable improvement by week 8. Now I think it will work the other way around.

I still expect this defense to improve, especially after a ho-hum performance against a Denver offense that isn't that talented. I mean, they sat Atlanta down for 10 points, and then they went on to rake the niners for 45. Truly a great performance, which ironically was booed by a bunch of people who wanted more aggressive play. But they could have been better last week. But in no way can I hang either of their losses on the "D" when the opponents have beaten them with 18 ppg, and just 16.5 per four quarters, and in those same losses the Offense has only mustered 13 ppg. Sorry. I know which way the finger points.

I think it goes to everyone involved. Brady and the O-line get the brunt. Welker and Moss have missed some routes. And the coaches haven't exactly lit it up wth brilliant schemes either.

However .  . .

We have the technology, we can fix it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Offensive timing.

And the occasional assanine on field post whistle play, like the taunting, or the late hit. 

I think confidence is also lacking somewhat in the offensive players themselves. 

Too many Pats receivers are playing for other teams.

We're lacking the big back field threat which we haven't seen since Cory Dillion.

Too many assistant coaches are working for other teams, they're familar with BB's style, the strengths & weaknesses of the majority of players.

Even though we're not the defending AFC or Superbowl champs, every team treats the Pat's game as a playoff game, or season changer.  Combine that with the former coaches & front office staff seeded around the league, we have to play every game as if it was the deciding game of the season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from creiner812. Show creiner812's posts

no pass rush... can't get the opponents off the field on third town.  Can't expect a group of 2nd third and lower draft choices to compete with first rounders on a regular basis.  Suure a few of the lower draft choices are stars like Brady but in general your best players now are found in the first 20.  Instead of trading down for 2 second rounders give up a second and third for a potential star.  Look at the last several drafts  Merriweather 1st Mayo 1st Seymour 1st Warren 1st not to mention  Moss,  Seau, Mankin, and Harrison.  Sure there are some gems in the later rounds but the risk is higher.  Just look at the probowlers and league stars and see how many of them came from the 1st round..  Draft fewer and  draft higher or pay the big bucks for established stars like J peppers.  yup they need an all star pass rusher or they will continue to be medicore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from creiner812. Show creiner812's posts

poor drafting producing no pas rush

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Point of fact:  Pats have not won the Super Bowl since February of 2005.  5 seasons ago.  Yet folks say in BB we trust.  He seems to be mortgaging the future with some recent moves, such as with Seymour.  It used to be that you have to win right away.  Belichick doesn't have to do that, so he can focus on the future and not worry about his job. He is cemented as a great coach. Sure the Pats will have a top echelon team each year with this methodology, but will they win the SB this way?  Would they be better with Seymour and Vrabel this year?  Absolutely.  Is it a good BUSINESS decision to get rid of them?  Absolutely.  But at what price.  It seems we have been hearing too much lately from BB after games that "we were outplayed, outcoached", and so on.  
    I think Denver outcoached them.  The Pats did not call the right offensive plays. Too many runs on 2nd and 3rd down that got nothing in the 2nd half.  On defense, the Pats did not stop the run or the pass, AND they did not get much pressure on the QB.  Made him look like a franchise QB.  That's what the talk show hosts are saying about him now after he dissected the Pats.  Here's my question.  How did the Broncos take away 2 of our biggest weapons, and still stop our running game and passing game?  They took Kevin Faulk out of the game, as well as Randy Moss.  That means we should have been able to do something else against them. Morris had nice runs, and Welker nice catches, but as BB always said, take away their strengths and let these other guys get good numbers.  We will get the win.  That happened for Denver.  Only 17 pts scored, none in the 2nd half.  Brings back bad memories of their last SB against the Giants.  Cannot score. Is it as simple as Brady not making the plays like he used to?  If he hits Moss or Welker as he should have, they score and we do not have this discussion?  Both teams missed field goals, so they negate each other. How about 2 costly and stupid penalties?  What happened to the discipline that used to define this team? Is BB losing control?  Mankins penalty cost a FG that in hind site would have put the game out of reach for Denver.  Merriweather's penalty leads to their touchdown, instead of 3rd and 2 from the 22.  Brady's fumble sealed the coffin.  2nd time this year he gets blindsided and loses the ball, this early in the season.  Offensive line problem, ot Brady's problem?  Now, hopefuly he is just struggling like Peyton Manning did after his surgery and he will come back strong.  If so, maybe that will be good enough to cover up the other issues that seem to be popping up.  Fortunately we have a long season ahead to get better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Both losses have been extremely close, and the offense is out of synch. If Brady was back to form they both would have probably been wins.

Just give it time. Brady will improve his game as he gets used to game speed again and finds his deep ball. When he improves the team is going to look much better. What we have here is very similar to what happened to Indy last year.

Don't freak out, we're still tied for first in the division and the offense will improve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: whats wrong with the team? :  I agree.the scary part is there is only 11 games left to get it right,and that isnt much time in football terms.not when other teams start pulling away in the playoff race.some are saying calm down,but its kind of hard to.when your not seeing much of an improvement.in the three wins we got.it was a very over rated falcons team.we barely beat a terrible bills team,and we were aided by penalties in the ravens game.so its alarming.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Hey, Moss...  if the Dolphins can start 2-4 last year and finish 11-5, why are we so worried about the Pats start at 3-2?  You said it yourself, it is not like they haven't shown any brilliance.  It is inconsistent.  We know it is there and like pieces of a puzzle, it will come together.  There is one thing, though, that concerns me.. the fire on the sidelines.  Did you notice the attitude of Brady and Moss speaking to one another during OT?  Why were'nt they on the sidelines pushing the D to make a stop and get them the ball?  Are they being too business like and not have fire in the eyes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]How awesome would it be to have Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams in our back field?  Also, Chad Henne looks like a real good QB. Why can't Brady pick apart the Jets like this rookie?
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I am a huge DIE-HARD Pats Fan, but i have to agree with you 100%!  Last night, as I watched the Monday Night Game, i kept thinking how proficient BOTH QB's were playing.  I was imagining Brady in some of the same situations as Henne and not Making the same plays.  Miami does not have WR's of the calibre of Moss & Welker, yet the QB looked great against the same D that we could not score against.  I guess a good pass game starts with a good Run Game, and without a running Game, the opposing "D" cues up on our over-rated O Line and Brady has no time.  When Brady has time, he misses the wide-open receivers.  Let's hope that Brady, being the leader that he is, can pull the team out of this funk.  It will take the pass game to establish the run!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, yah, it's the uniforms...or do you want to call them outfits. Look at the ones we lost to, now THAT'S scary.
    Posted by noncallcity[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I'm superstitious like that. lol Every time they wear those bloody uniforms they play like crud. (But really, the comment was made tongue in cheek.) You are right about one thing though...those umpa loompa uniforms the Broncos and the refs were wearing are horrifying on the eyes. Enough with this retro sh*t already! ENOUGH!!! Why must we keep living in the past. Great, it's the 50 year anniversary. Wear the stupid retro uniforms once and be done with it. Ugh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: whats wrong with the team? : Hey, Moss...  if the Dolphins can start 2-4 last year and finish 11-5, why are we so worried about the Pats start at 3-2?  You said it yourself, it is not like they haven't shown any brilliance.  It is inconsistent.  We know it is there and like pieces of a puzzle, it will come together.  There is one thing, though, that concerns me.. the fire on the sidelines.  Did you notice the attitude of Brady and Moss speaking to one another during OT?  Why were'nt they on the sidelines pushing the D to make a stop and get them the ball?  Are they being too business like and not have fire in the eyes?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE] im not worried yet,but i can see the team is lacking something,and i am just asking what it is they are lacking,and needing.but your right,there is a lack of fire.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

they need the desire to win.once they have that,the rest will fall in place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: whats wrong with the team? : Sorry but I'm superstitious like that. lol Every time they wear those bloody uniforms they play like crud. (But really, the comment was made tongue in cheek.) You are right about one thing though...those umpa loompa uniforms the Broncos and the refs were wearing are horrifying on the eyes. Enough with this retro sh*t already! ENOUGH!!! Why must we keep living in the past. Great, it's the 50 year anniversary. Wear the stupid retro uniforms once and be done with it. Ugh!
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats[/QUOTE] i really like the old uniforms.just bad memories in those days,but after seeing the bronco,s old uniforms,they are not bad.