What's your ideal offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: What's your ideal offseason?

3rd Exum SS - Exum was injured this past season but has the coverage ability of a CB, the speed and smarts of a FS, and the size and hitting ability of a SS. If not for the injures he'd be a fringe 1st rounder grade. Might take a year to develop but he'd be a great SS moving into the future with

Sounds a lot like Chancellor...! AND... both went to VA Tech!

Pick this guy! I like your plan, Eng. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

A defense that doesnt give up multiple 7 to 8 minutes a drive and then people wonder why thier pa ssing so much when behind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

3rd Exum SS - Exum was injured this past season but has the coverage ability of a CB, the speed and smarts of a FS, and the size and hitting ability of a SS. If not for the injures he'd be a fringe 1st rounder grade. Might take a year to develop but he'd be a great SS moving into the future with

need more info on Exum but sounds intriging. Ive seen him listed anywhere from 5'10 to 6'1" so thats wierd. If he is closer to 5'10, I say NO WAY. He also played CB in college far as I can see and we have 2 small, converted CBs already playing S.

His height is listed anywhere from 218 to 225. If he is a 5'10" 225 CB coming to NFL to play safety I say no thanks. I think of the big V.T. safety who went to G.B. a few years back. I dont think he ever did anything. Need to see film but not sure I would choose a project in OUR situation. I would much rather Taylor Mays, or Kenny Phillips. Weve seen the learning curve w/rookies. I thought Harmon looked much better than Gregory down the stretch so WHY wasnt HE playing....Likely lack of exp. and BB not trusting him so I dont like drafting a SS. I want a vet... just not 40 y/o like Wilson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

First off, GREAT POST, I am thinking similar things!

So this is purely hypothetical, if BB called you up and asked what you would do this offseason what would it be. Can be anything you like to fix the team provided it's realistic. In otherwords you can find a way to fit Jimmy Graham on the team but you can't find a way to trade for Fitz, sign Graham, sign 3 other big name FA's, and draft 4 1st round picks. Just curious to see where everyone stands with the team and how you think we could get over the hump and win the "porridge" as Kraft put it.

For me:

Wilfork - I'd try to extend him. He has 1 year left so it's possible to have him take a pay cut, however some team will give him at least $3mil for one year so the pay cut limits how much you might get back from him. Being cut also isn't enough of an incentive to play for the remainder of his bonus either so imo the best solution is take the remaining base salary, spread it out over 3 years, and pay him vet min in base over those 3 years. It's a deal that gets him almost $10mil guaranteed in his pocket this offseason, ensures he's a Pat until retirement, and is just as good as any offer he would get from another team while cutting his cap hit this year in half and reducing it moving forward to a reasonable $4mil per year.

Wilfork will get 3.5 million if cut. Yes some other team will give him like 3m for a year, with maybe 1.5m guaranteed. So really he is probably thinking if he's cut and leaves (uncerimonious and he wants to stay) that he os just guaranteed 5 million. Restructure at like 3 years, 12 million, 9 million guaranteed and have him just count the 3.5m he would if cut against the cap in '14 (all guaranteed) with like 200k per game he plays after week 6 as bonuses that count on the 2015 cap (2m total). Other bonus $ could be for % of snaps played in the playoffs.

This frees up 8 million

Mankins - I'd try for a restructure. Love to keep the guy but his contract is pretty large so a restructure to knock off $3mil of the cap this year might be doable.

Mankins is set to make about 7 million a year for the next 3 years. It doesn't make any sense financially to cut him until before that final year. If Logan knows he is pretty much getting 16-18m over the next 2 years, we'd have to extend him an extra 2 years and make it like a 5 year 26-28 million deal with 16-18 guaranteed. If the first year of the deal is at 3-5 million the team can save the 3m you are wanting to by doing this, but they would also be forced to pay him at age 35-36 where now they can cut him after age 33 without much damage.

McCourty/Ghost - Extend both. With the extension since Wilfork's is front loaded you can afford to back load theirs slightly and combined should save around $2mil in cap space

Connolly - a restructure is in order. I'd want him back because we are thin at G and he is a decent starter if they can't find an upgrade. Can save $1mil

Cut Gregory and A. Wilson right off the gate. Cutting both saves $3mil

Sadly, Arrington and Amendola will have to remain as the cost to replace them added to the cost of cutting them would be too much.

Arrington is set to make 9m million in base salary combined over the next 3 years. I think he knows he will be cut after next season and lose out on that last 6.5m in base. If he were extended 1 year and paid 8m over 4 years right now it would save the team about 2 million.

Amendola can be cut after June 1st for just a 1.2m cap hit it '14, but an awful 3.6m hit in '15. The only way we keep Edelman is if we choose to cut Amendola and Edelman's combined $ in the next 2 years plus the Amendola deal money does not exceed like an average of 6m per season. To me that is a wash and the team doesn't go over budget for a slot guy. Otherwise, just roll with Danny. Collie, Moe, Boyce, they can all be counted on in the slot.

Resign Wendell - maybe not as a starter but as a spot starter. I'm thinking a short term deal with little signing bonus to minimize cost if they do find a good replacement

I do not want to see Wendell back honestly, but without the $ to sign the guy I do want, Alex Mack, I would bolster RG and restructure Connolly and he can backup both spots.

Resign Blount - honestly I don't think there will be a large market for him and should be able to get him around $2.5mil per year (essentially Blount over Gregory)

Agree. Gregory frees up 2 million. Keep Blount for 3 years 7.5 million and his cap hit in '14 can be the same as what we save for dumping Gregory.

Resign Fletcher - letting Spikes go means they will be very thin at LB so Fletcher is a must

For the veteran min, sure. If he wants anything more I would look to spend a bit more, like 2m a year, and get a veteran LB'er like Wesley Woodyard or the recently cut Stephen Nicholas to backup all 3 positions and take some of the run stopping duties Spikes had. Fletch is a cover LB'er and in addition to one of those vets I'd rather spend a 3rd/4th rd pick on a more athletic better upside cover MLB.

Resign Hooman - He's a good #3 TE who should come cheap

Agree

Now for FA's (yes I know I didn't resign Talib or Edelman you'll see why)

Sign DRC - not as talented as Talib should come at around the same price and gives you a better shot of playing 16 games a year without bowing out.

No thanks on DRC. Give me Walter Thurmond at 4 million a year over DRC or Talib at 6-7.

Sign Tillman - an aging vet CB who can still give starting caliber performance. Having him in rotation with DRC and Dennard/Ryan would give us one of the better secondaries int he league. Of course these means Dennard or Ryan gets pushed inside and Arrington gets made 5th CB, but this next camp I'd try Arrington out as a SS where his under zone and run stopping ability should be an asset.

Agree on all that, except Thurmond in there over DRC. The Adrian Wilson cuts, Arrington restructure and Thurmond over Talib gives the team the $ for Tillman. Arrington can play only the slot as the 5th CB and be tried out as an emergency safety.

At this point we have saved: 

14 million in restructures: 8m (Wilfork), 3m (Mankins), 3m (Arrington/Connolly). 7 million in cuts: 3.3 (Sopoaga), 2m (Gregory) and 1.2 (Adrian Wilson) They get another 500k in savings by cutting the Bequette and T. Wilson busts. 2 million in extensions (McCourty/Ghost). Total = 23 million

It spends (just against 2014 cap): 4m Thurmond, 3m Tillman, 3m veteran LB'er (Woodyard/Nicholas/Dansby as examples) 2m Wendell, 2m Blount, 1m Hooman

8 million left.

Sign Raji - He's not looked like himself the last couple of years and might come on a reasonable contract as a rotational DT between Kelly and Wilfork.

Sign Everson Griffen - not a starter but he is an effective pass rusher. Should be able to add some pass rushing ability on deeper downs at a reasonable cost.

If both Wilfork and Kelly are back, with Jones, Sealver Siliga, Vellano all inside as well and Armstead a possibility PLUS a desire to draft a DT... I don't see Raji as a need unless he comes at the veteran minimum and/or we cut Kelly and Vince is going to be on the 6 week PUP.

I like Griffen, but I would sign Arthur Jones instead of these two guys. he can play inside in a 4-3 (where Raji would be) and outside in a 3-4 (where Griffen is too small) and can even play the other end opposite his brother in a 4-3 where Chandler does the Willie Mac Elephant position stuff (hand in the ground some plays, standing up OLB on others). Jones should be given 4/18 at the minimum and like 5/30 at the max and cost like 5m on the cap this year.

The team now has 3 million left from the savings they created with cuts/extensions/restructures and their original 4 million in cap space. 5 million needs to be saved for draft picks. So with that last 2 million I would bring in Bernard Pollard. He'd probably cost 5 million over 2 years and could be slipped in for that amount of space.

Sign either Sanders or Maclin - Between these two and Edelman they should get about the same contract give or take. Sanders is the less risky option health wise between the 3, Edelman has the best connection with Brady, and Maclin is the highest talent between the 3 of team. With Amendola staying on the team I'd lean towards the less health risk and go Sanders but I wouldn't be opposed to Maclin either. His present more nagging stuff but he hasn't missed a lot of time either. Either way both can at minimum do what Edelman did without the injury risk he presents at essentially the same cost.

Once the team gets the 3.5 million Hernandez $ back they might be able to afford one of these guys but I say they pass. They have one of Edelman/Amendola here, plus Dobson and Boyce will be much better. I say they draft a big WR and a TE.

Use that 3.5 million in space to sign Incognito and Matt Cassell. Carry over just the amount of space needed for ONE veteran minimium contract instead of the usual 3-4 million in space.

All in all these FA additions with the cap saving measures listed above should work and leave enough left over to sign draft picks and have $2-4mil to carry over into the season which is plenty

Draft:

Before the draft I would like to see them trade Mallett and Thompkins to the Texans for 3rd and 5th rd picks.

1st - Amaro TE - Him and Gronk would be an ideal 1-2 combo and be unstoppable when both are on the field. When Gronk isn't there Amaro is still a more then capable #1 TE that should greatly enhance the RZ production

He would be very tempting in the first rd, but I think the Pats actually trade up this year. Surprise everyone and move up from 30 to around 20. The cost? Their 2015 1st rd pick and the 6th rd pick of the Eagles.

At pick 17-21 or whatever we acquire the Pats get a big WR like Evans or Benjamin. If both are gone I would hope TE Eric Ebron is there and the Pats could scoop him up or even a DT like Jernigan, Nix or could be here. One of the 'Bama guys like Clinton-Dix or Mosley or the Pats could reach a bit on a speedy 6' WR like Marquise Hill or Odell Beckham (or speedy TE like Amaro, who could go to KC and be gone by the time we pick). Hageman would probably be around here (but prob gone by the early 2nd as you hope for). Same with the Louisville safety Pryor. I think those 3 positions WR-DT-TE-S will be addressed so any ELITE player at one of those spots should be moved up for this time around.

2nd (trade 2nd this year and next to move up to early 2nd) - Hageman DT - Hageman looks to fall the early 2nd round because of lack of consistency and production at the SB but he is a boom or bust pick. He has Watt type of upside if he could put it together but could also fail. I know it's a risky move but the potential to get a top 15 talent in the early 2nd is worth the trade up and risk

2nd - Another guy from one of the 4 positions that was not picked yet. I like DE/DT Dominique Easley (1st rd talent who would go on the 6 week PUP) and DE/OLB's Dee Ford and Kyle Van Noy as edge rush threats. This would be a good spot to get a safety like Craig Loston or Dion Bailey and an ILB like Skov. A WR like Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry or Jordan Matthews. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins might slip to here.

3rd (from Texans) - any of the above players who slip. TE's Niklas and Fieder (Iowa kid), ILB's Yawin Smallwood or Christian Jones. Exum who you like. DE/DT Ed Stinson. WR Jared Abbrederis and Hoffman who you like.

3rd (our own) - trade back up into the high 3rd with our 6th rd pick to continue to get after talented players at those 4 positions of need.

4th - Address the O-line here (Steen) or another DE/OLB pass rusher to throw into the mix

3rd Exum SS - Exum was injured this past season but has the coverage ability of a CB, the speed and smarts of a FS, and the size and hitting ability of a SS. If not for the injures he'd be a fringe 1st rounder grade. Might take a year to develop but he'd be a great SS moving into the future with

Mid 4th (trade next years 4th and a 6th this year to move into the mid/late 4th) - Hoffman WR - Hoffman is as talented as Robinson (a fringe 1st round talent) but because of a suspension and hamstring injury he gets knocked down to early day 3. At 6'4" 215 he has a big body and knows how to use it to great affect. I see him as a young Boldin with even better height. With Harrison and Moe still question marks it's hard to turn down a talent like Hoffmans in the 4th.  

4th - Larsen C - Larsen grades out as one of the better C's in college with an amazing 97% correct assignment number. Very smart and always in the right position he could be a big pickup to anchor the inside of the line

5th - trade remaining 6th and 7th to move into 5th - Aaron Lynch DE - His freshman year at ND made it look like he was destined for a 1st round pick but then he got homesick took a red shirt year and had an average year in South Florida. Should have stayed in school for another year as he started to come on at South Florida towards the end of the year but came out instead. If he gets his head straight he's a 1st/2nd round pass rushing talent. Worth the risk in the 5th

6th comp - Salis Redd RB - quick scat back with some size with knee issues. Back of the 6th you are willing to roll the dice on injury players and Redd was very productive at USC. Backing up Vereen seems like a good task for him to limit wear on those knees

6th comp - Chris Watt G - MB would love this pick and as always later round G's always end up being taken lower then there grade just because of shear numbers. Watt has the potential to fall this far and would make for a good eventual LG

7th comp - Caleb Lavey LB - a coverage LB sleeper who could slip in the draft. Think of him similar to Fletcher

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

need more info on Exum but sounds intriging. Ive seen him listed anywhere from 5'10 to 6'1" so thats wierd. If he is closer to 5'10, I say NO WAY. He also played CB in college far as I can see and we have 2 small, converted CBs already playing S.

His height is listed anywhere from 218 to 225. If he is a 5'10" 225 CB coming to NFL to play safety I say no thanks. I think of the big V.T. safety who went to G.B. a few years back. I dont think he ever did anything. Need to see film but not sure I would choose a project in OUR situation. I would much rather Taylor Mays, or Kenny Phillips. Weve seen the learning curve w/rookies. I thought Harmon looked much better than Gregory down the stretch so WHY wasnt HE playing....Likely lack of exp. and BB not trusting him so I dont like drafting a SS. I want a vet... just not 40 y/o like Wilson.

Sign Pollard. The money you get from extending McCourty (7/35) and cutting Gregory and Wilson is enough to give Pollard a 2 year 5 million deal. Probably enough to do that and sign a veteran CB like Tillman, esp if Arrington restructures.

Or sign Whitner for like 4 years 16 million. Ward and Byrd are going to get 6 year 40 million deals. Probably would be tough to add another veteran to the secondary with Whitner at that cash, but I trust him for more overall snaps and years than Pollard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Did everyone see our D without Talib? If we dont have his replacement, letting him walk is big mistake. Dennard is a shaky # 2 iMO, and wouldnt want to see him as a # 1

Tillman??  The guy has played in Chicago his whole career. That means ALL COVER 2. He can hit and force fumbles but probably hasnt played man coverage his whole career.

He also played for a D that had Peppers the last few years and in general until last season has always been a very good D. Coming here he would really look old and slow when needing to play man. we play lots of cover 2 but arent a strictly cover 2 like Chicago.

Ryan Clark is DONE and cant even play in Denver. DRC JUST changed his ways and became competent THIS year but I dont think he is great. He holds a lot and wasnt called for holding OUR guys but he will get that break playing for us?? Not likely

Talib is best option as he knows the system. BB used him in many ways last year, all successful. Get him surgery and PAY DA MAN!

Good point made on Tillman OG but he is a good player who I would trust in here and would be a good cheap backup. he can create turnovers, which when we get.. we win.

i agree that Dennard isnt a #1 CB the size kills him but he is a decent #2 when matched up with the right player. he would be a beast in the slot imo. hopefully Ryan can play #2 this year so Dennard can mvoe to the slot.

Clark may be done true, but Pollard or Whitner can still play and Pollard especially can be cheap and be a HITTER and effective. which is what this defense lacks big time.

agree on Talib. I think his market will be low so it wont take 9-10 a year to sign him but I would go as high as 7-8 now that I think about it. We need him. even if theres an injury issue. I dont trust DRC like you said he came on strong late, besides that he's nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I just find it funny how last offseason I put a real SS as the # 1 priority. BB goes and gets Wilson but he is too old but NOONE, I mean almost NOONE wanted Pollard to come here.

Yet after watching another year of our small safeties NOT making an impact, suddenly everyone agrees and wants Pollard as our enforcer..lol

NOw I will take anyone but to me Pollard is old now. Maybe last year but in this system where BB wants a Fs/SS I dont think Pollard fits. He is SLOW and BB will ask him to cover the deep middle, its over. Weve seen how many safeties have come and failed at the big nickel as a rover/backer so I dont see it.

To me, another year removed, Pollard is only slightly better than A.Wilson signing. If we are gonna make a run, need to do better than that. Thats why I said a Taylor Mays even tho he has poor instincts. Gotta hope BB can coach em up. We need a dynamic safety and how did Pollard come from being hated to fan favorite in one year....lol

Wow...just listen to me next time. SS's are still needed and havent gone out of style. I heard the same when I wanted Landry 2 years ago....smh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Wow...just listen to me next time. SS's are still needed and havent gone out of style. I heard the same when I wanted Landry 2 years ago....smh

Mays isnt good enough he'd upgrade Gregory but anyone would at this point. he would be a hitter and enforcer sure but there are 15 better safeties out there. that includes Pollard imo. He's not playing 2 downs this year like Wilson did the year before he came here.

1. Jairus Byrd
    2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner
    4. Antoine Bethea
    5. Chris Clemons
    6. Malcolm Jenkins
    7. Stevie Brown
    8. Major Wright
    9. Nate Allen

10. Michael Mitchell
    11. Charles Woodson

12. Nick Collins
    13. Ryan Clark
    14. James Ihedigbo
    15. Bernard Pollard
    16. Usama Young
    17. Kendrick Lewis
    18. Mike Adams
    19. Chris Crocker
    20. Yeremiah Bell
    21. Quintin Mikell
    22. Michael Huff
    23. Brandon Meriweather
    24. Ryan Mundy

all better than Mays imo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

oh OG I didnt read as far back as 2 years and ago last year even but dont brag about what you were right about... sounds Rusty-esque... ya know?

I was calling for drafting Alshon Jeffery last year too and wanted Landry two years ago as well but dont rusty-esque it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I have Exum listed as a smaller 6'1" 225lbs and runs a 4.55 speed. Not sure who has him listed at 5'10" but I've seen him next to 5'10" guys and he's got a solid 1-2" on them easy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Mays isnt good enough he'd upgrade Gregory but anyone would at this point. he would be a hitter and enforcer sure but there are 15 better safeties out there. that includes Pollard imo. He's not playing 2 downs this year like Wilson did the year before he came here.

1. Jairus Byrd
    2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner
    4. Antoine Bethea
    5. Chris Clemons
    6. Malcolm Jenkins
    7. Stevie Brown
    8. Major Wright
    9. Nate Allen

10. Michael Mitchell
    11. Charles Woodson

12. Nick Collins
    13. Ryan Clark
    14. James Ihedigbo
    15. Bernard Pollard
    16. Usama Young
    17. Kendrick Lewis
    18. Mike Adams
    19. Chris Crocker
    20. Yeremiah Bell
    21. Quintin Mikell
    22. Michael Huff
    23. Brandon Meriweather
    24. Ryan Mundy

all better than Mays imo

well like I said I dont even like Mays as a football player that much. This would be a cheap signing and see what BB can do. If an all pro like Rodney can come in after 10 years being a beast in S.D. and learn SO MUCH from BB I am banking on a 3rd year backup player can also learn.  I offered TJ Ward but folks are saying he is gonna break the bank. So how do you get that presence? You bring in Mays, coach em up and simplify his role. You see what rookie Reid did for San fran when healthy?  All I am saying is our D is pretty bad in the back end. Signing a guy like Pollard to me isnt enough. 

Not many of the guys on your list are 6'3" 225 and run a 4.4. THATS why I want Mays but trust I'll be happy with anyone over Gregory like you said. Im just giving my opinion. Same way I wouldnt want tillman here cuz he cant play man and is a Cover 2 CB. Meaning he tackles and forces fumbles but he is rarely cover downfield. Cover 2 CBs, press and release and play the flat. Never mind that his body is worn down.

I would take Bethea or Whitner as well but would prefer a bigger body.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I have Exum listed as a smaller 6'1" 225lbs and runs a 4.55 speed. Not sure who has him listed at 5'10" but I've seen him next to 5'10" guys and he's got a solid 1-2" on them easy.

ok thx. I only looked at a few sites but most say 6 ft or over and I havent seen him play. I trust your judgement if you have seen him. Did he play both CB/S in college? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Not many of the guys on your list are 6'3" 225 and run a 4.4. THATS why I want Mays but trust I'll be happy with anyone over Gregory like you said. Im just giving my opinion. Same way I wouldnt want tillman here cuz he cant play man and is a Cover 2 CB. Meaning he tackles and forces fumbles but he is really asked to cover downfield. Cover 2 CBs, press and release and play the flat. Never mind that his body is worn down.

I feel you OG I want the same thing as you. Just dont think Mays is the option. I think Pollard is. Agree to disagree there but one thing we both know is Wilson and Gregory need to be cut and we need to get a real SS in there

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Not many of the guys on your list are 6'3" 225 and run a 4.4. THATS why I want Mays but trust I'll be happy with anyone over Gregory like you said. Im just giving my opinion. Same way I wouldnt want tillman here cuz he cant play man and is a Cover 2 CB. Meaning he tackles and forces fumbles but he is really asked to cover downfield. Cover 2 CBs, press and release and play the flat. Never mind that his body is worn down.

I feel you OG I want the same thing as you. Just dont think Mays is the option. I think Pollard is. Agree to disagree there but one thing we both know is Wilson and Gregory need to be cut and we need to get a real SS in there

this is true and i never brag or say I told you so unless it was extreme. Eng can contest to how many folks hated pollard and said no way . In terms of wanting Landry, Eng can attest to that too. I was one of only a few guys who wanted him. Most others thought he was done, couldnt run and had too many muscles. I mean he hasnt shocked the world but atleast he stayed healthy which everyone doubted.

In terms of wanting a SS, yes we are on the same page. Last year Wilson bummed out. will he go younger, draft another or just promote Harmon. Sadly I think its gonna be the last one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ok thx. I only looked at a few sites but most say 6 ft or over and I havent seen him play. I trust your judgement if you have seen him. Did he play both CB/S in college? 

He did switch between both. Mostly CB in 12' prior to injury but has played a CB and both S position at Vir Tech

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

this is true and i never brag or say I told you so unless it was extreme. Eng can contest to how many folks hated pollard and said no way . In terms of wanting Landry, Eng can attest to that too. I was one of only a few guys who wanted him. Most others thought he was done, couldnt run and had too many muscles. I mean he hasnt shocked the world but atleast he stayed healthy which everyone doubted.

In terms of wanting a SS, yes we are on the same page. Last year Wilson bummed out. will he go younger, draft another or just promote Harmon. Sadly I think its gonna be the last one.

I feel ya OG. I liked  Landry, knew about the injury issues but he could hit and was worth the risk at the time to me as well

but yeah sadly our pipe dreams of wanting a SS probably will end up being Harmon taking over the role and BB drafting a SS in the 4th round when we could get him in the 7th round..... hopefully he goes against this... hopefully

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can verify all is true and will say I didn't think Landry would last a full year and yet he did. However, he really wasn't all that good. In coverage he was helpless but he sure did hit hard when he lined up. Great for highlight reels on sportscenter but in a game he was a liability as a starting S. I have nothing against Pollard but think he's over rated. He's worse in coverage than Gregory but a heavier hitter and better against the run. So to me he's a good sub SS in running downs or against teams with slower TE's but I still wouldn't want him as an everydown SS. I'd rather have a better all around SS, esp considering coverage is the main issue at SS and I would put him below Gregory in that regard

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I am praying for two things

gronk gets healthy and can play all year

no one on the roster murder's someone

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They should of drafted Everson Griffen years ago when he was just sitting there in the middle rounds, I want to say I read after the draft they had considered him, but raded back instead. Griffen won't come cheap, he has already turned down a contract offer from the vikings this year. Another player I wshed they drafted in the middle rounds years ago was Houston, but the Chiefs wisely picked him.

I don't like Hageman, I think he has bust written all over him.

I'd like to see them make a run and Sanders again, and I agree they shouldn't resign Talib...I don't want to pay a guy we can't rely on..he's that guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

BB learns to stop micro managing every aspect of this TEAM and hires REAL coordinators.....

Sincerely "Pepper" Johnson

lol

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I like your thoughts Patseng. Really almost the entire post. I think Amendola and Arrington are better players then you are giving credit for and they were both obviously slowed with injury but can't argue with much of anything else. 

I also like OG's idea of Taylor Mays on the cheap but he has not played very well, perhaps BB can coach him up. Firing Josh McDaniels makes zero sense but it fits his agenda so I see why he said it.

I am not sure why we would keep Blount, we have already shown we will not commit to a run game in the biggest stage so why pay another RB? Our offenseive philosophy isn't changing and BB just doesn't value RB's. it is what it is. 

its josh not calling runs right?  If my plan gets the D better,. we run more, simple. Why cant you see the reason we dont run is because our D isnt goon enough to play that way?  Idc about the roster week 1. In the postseason our D was shaky. We couldnt commit to Blount. The issue was personell (ridley a better option vs denver), playcalling(wasting 3rd and shorts going deep to slater) and lack of talent. Collie and Amendola outside.

I've come to realize that the lack of run commitment starts with BB, the O.C and Brady but is really due to thembeing victims of their success. When you have a HOF QB who might go down as the best ever, you tend to over rely on him at the 1st sign of adversity.

I am sure I would do the same. I just believe that this team, particularly Tom Brady plays better with a focus on power running, 2 TE sets, and play action passing, all 6 of Tommy's Super bowl tds in his 3 wins came off play action and heavy use of the run.

He is not a deep ball passer, but he is probably the most accurate passer inside of 10 yards in NFL history and that style of play is goes hand in hand with a short quick strike passing game. Yes, good defense helps being able to run, as running helps good defense. We need more of both.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'd rather have Pollards replacement in Baltimore, our old friend, the Umass Minuteman, James ihdgehbdoeggbooooo

Just came off a nice season as a starter, 100 tackles, 3 ff 3 ints as SS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

How about they just:

Consider current 4 million under cap the rookie money

Keep Wendell and add Incognito with Connolly and one of Vollmer and Mankins restructuring, need like 4m in restructures there

Keep Edelman by doing the loophole with Amendola where they designate him a June 1st cut and it only counts on the cap for 1.2m and Edelman's cap #'s don't exceed in addition to that what DA was to make

Keep Talib with the money saved through a McCourt extension (2m), Arrington restructure (1.3m), Gregory being cut (2m) and Adrian Wilson being cut (1.2m). Total = 6.5m

Sign Linval Joseph and Donte Whitner with the Wilfork restructure that saves 7-8 million and the Ghostkowski extension that saves like 1.5m (9m total) 5m - Joseph and 4m Whitner

Sign Blount and Hooman with the money they get from cutting Sopoaga

When they get back the 3.5 million of Hernandez's bonus, trade 4th and 6th rd picks to the Falcons for Roddy White, who has 1 year 6 million left and extend him at like 3 years 12-15 million only counting 3.5m on the cap this year.

When the #'s are announced at like a 128 million cap instead of a 125 million cap the Pats get the 3m in space they want to carry into the season

DRAFT:

Rd 1 - Amaro

Rd 2 - Easley (6 week PUP)

Rd 3 - Best available edge rusher or athletic ILB

Rd 6/7 - risk reward project types

TRY TRY TRY to trade Mallett for a mide-late 2nd or an early 3rd/5th combo (like Cleve or Texans 3rd/5th rd picks is fair, I'd even throw in Kenbrell)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

We go through an entire draft an not once say "Who the "frock" is that ????"

Kinf of like the Seahawks 2012 draft class, the one that was graded an "F". 

People actually knew who those players were, the experts didn't see them as studs....even the experts had to wikipedia some of our picks just to give us info on who the "frock" they were.....

Wiki at the time only had    T. Wilson    American football ??....

Sections
Shortcuts