When is a good time to be critical?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

When is a good time to be critical?

Without many here jumping down my throat?

Many of us have posted here for a few months now about some perceived holes on this team.

TE. Now that Williams is injured, Jones and Watson cut, here we are, with Gronk and Hooman. Many of us were concerned about this months ago. Count me as still concerned. 

DT. Many of us were nervous about the depth due to Vince and Kelley coming off injury and age. Now Sil and Jones are missing all of preseason, maybe more, and Easley has not seen the field yet. And Vince and Kelley are still old. Anyone watching the waiver wires? 

RB. Ridley first carry, spins, gets hit and bobbles the ball. Can Vareen stay healthy? 2 RB's already cut, with rumbles that Bolden is next. Team looks to be breaking camp with 3 RB's. 

LB. I really thought Anderson was going to help. I have now watched 7 practices and 1 preseason game. I am not sure Anderson makes this team. I was surprised Beauharnis was not cut last year. ILB that weighs 230lbs. Really looked out of place Thursday and was continuously out of position. Yet, Fletch, Eddes, Tarp all gone. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: When is a good time to be critical?

Someone does not realize that they are;

You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin.
    Show DougIrwin's posts

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Many of us have posted here for a few months now about some perceived holes on this team.

TE. Now that Williams is injured, Jones and Watson cut, here we are, with Gronk and Hooman. Many of us were concerned about this months ago. Count me as still concerned. 

DT. Many of us were nervous about the depth due to Vince and Kelley coming off injury and age. Now Sil and Jones are missing all of preseason, maybe more, and Easley has not seen the field yet. And Vince and Kelley are still old. Anyone watching the waiver wires? 

RB. Ridley first carry, spins, gets hit and bobbles the ball. Can Vareen stay healthy? 2 RB's already cut, with rumbles that Bolden is next. Team looks to be breaking camp with 3 RB's. 

LB. I really thought Anderson was going to help. I have now watched 7 practices and 1 preseason game. I am not sure Anderson makes this team. I was surprised Beauharnis was not cut last year. ILB that weighs 230lbs. Really looked out of place Thursday and was continuously out of position. Yet, Fletch, Eddes, Tarp all gone. 

Great points.

TE has been a concern for a while with me.  Mistake was made not getting one of the top % TE's in the draft or going after a vet TE.  People jumped on me about this but as it looks now I had good reason to be concerned.

Same goes for WR, imo.  Everyone talking about Dobson, well Dobson has been in a walking boot all offseason, I'm pretty sure he has got much better from last season.

I did not like letting Blount go and then to make matters worse the Pats never added anything solid.  If Vereen should get hurt and Ridley in the doghouse then thats a huge concern.

Anderson looked absolutely horrible on THursday night.  He can't cover, he over peruses, he got man handled out on the field.  He isn't big/strong enough.  He should be gone soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Great points.

TE has been a concern for a while with me.  Mistake was made not getting one of the top % TE's in the draft or going after a vet TE.  People jumped on me about this but as it looks now I had good reason to be concerned.

Same goes for WR, imo.  Everyone talking about Dobson, well Dobson has been in a walking boot all offseason, I'm pretty sure he has got much better from last season.

I did not like letting Blount go and then to make matters worse the Pats never added anything solid.  If Vereen should get hurt and Ridley in the doghouse then thats a huge concern.

Anderson looked absolutely horrible on THursday night.  He can't cover, he over peruses, he got man handled out on the field.  He isn't big/strong enough.  He should be gone soon.

You know, I did not agree with you regarding a TE on draft days. But on 2nd thought, I would change my thinking more in line to what you said. 

I was quite sure that Keller was due in for a couple of games to see how he would hold up, but so far crickets. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I just view it as every team as a position of weakness or lack of depth. 

I don't mind being 2 thin at TE honestly. If Gronk does get hurt just find a TE who can block. 

DT is starting to scare me just because Easley has yet to practice and most likely won't be a contributor until mid season and now Siliga and Jones are down. That does scare me but by Week 1 we could be 4 deep again if they ccomeback. 

Rb not worried. Ridleys first run was IMO nice. There were 4 skins in the backfield ad Ridley ssomehow found a way to get positive yards on the play. White can take over for Vereen. No worries at RB for me. 

Lb doesn't scare me much. We run 2 LBs most of the time anyway so having 3 good ones is fine. It's disappointing to see how Anderson is panning out but he could turn it around, never know. 

The OL is sketching me out to be honest. Solder looked bad. I don't care who was next to him or what not he didn't show well. The depth at OL can be questioned because the entire game out QBs were under pressure and RBs had no holes. 

I would like to see Cannon play some guard to be honest. Move Connolly to Center and cut Wendell 

. If anything OL scares me, and DL depth kinda does but not really

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I found it odd that BB sat all three starting LBs Thursday. Is he that concerned about the LB depth that he'll have to manage their preseason minutes knowing there is nothing behind Mayo, Collins and Hightower? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

For me, it's too early to be concerned on most of these points until I see what happens on the field in games that matter. With the exception of tight end. 

"TE has been a concern for a while with me. Mistake was made not getting one of the top % TE's in the draft or going after a vet TE. People jumped on me about this but as it looks now I had good reason to be concerned."

A lot of us felt - and I still do - a good tight end should have been drafted in the second round. Now, a whole lot depends on Gronk, which is a tricky spot to be in given the history. This is my number one concern about the team. 

"Same goes for WR, imo. Everyone talking about Dobson, well Dobson has been in a walking boot all offseason, I'm pretty sure he has got much better from last season."

Dobson's ongoing injury woes are a concern but - Belichick stinks at drafting wide receivers, and we weren't going to sign an expensive one or an Ocho Cinco type. I'm relatively happy with the depth at the WR position overall, though again a bit more pressure on Gronk than if we had a real game changer wide. But I'm ok with WR right now. 

"I did not like letting Blount go and then to make matters worse the Pats never added anything solid. If Vereen should get hurt and Ridley in the doghouse then thats a huge concern."

Not sure about Blount, seems like he could be game planned against without much trouble. Hearing good things about James White. We've won Super Bowls with backs that were serviceable but could get key yardage when needed. I'm not concerned here. 

"Anderson looked absolutely horrible on THursday night. He can't cover, he over peruses, he got man handled out on the field. He isn't big/strong enough. He should be gone soon."

Yes - but in general I'm not especially worried about linebacker depth, maybe I will be later. 

In sum, i don't share a lot of these concerns but I may be even more concerned about tight end depth. 

However, I'd add offensive line to the mix. Brady doesn't duck the rush as well as he used to, and with a new OL coach, and questions about Mankins and to some degree even Solder, I'm worried about the offensive line. Not as much as tight end, but those are my two areas of concern. 

However, overall I would give the Pats a very high offseason grade, signing Revis etc, overall happy with the draft, keeping Edelman somehow....I like where we are heading into this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

There is no wrong time to be critical.  It's more a matter of degree.  Also, when one criticizes it's good not to come across in a way that suggests that one has inside information, or actually has expertise in this field.  I'll  be the first to admit, I don't always get why BB does the things he does, when it comes to matters of personnel.  However, I'm wise enough to understand that what needs to be done and how it needs to be done are not nearly as obvious as some here would have us believe.  Until BB's production begins showing signs of decline, I will continue to gladly defer to his judgment. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

It's fun to speculate during camp as to which of the 90 will be on the 53 man roster and who will be on the practice squad. That being said I think BB and the brain trust  in Foxboro understand the needs of the team and the strengths and weaknessess at each position. I can't imagine they don't have plans and back-up plans and contingency plans for each position and a model for how they want this team built. I like the training camp/pre-season conjecture as much as the next poster but without knowing the internal discussions regarding certain players and positions all of our bloviating is just conjecture.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Rookie and fellow BIG  MOUTH, CB McDougle, TORN ACL per your buddy Rich Cimini.

Every time you mention the Jets, so will I.

Milliner a bust with a high ankle sprain and McDougle done. Dimitri Patterson torched in camp and injured with calf and ankle injuries.

Now Kylie Wilson is a starter on the outside with injury prone Ras I Dowling.  Great job by Idzik, huh, RKrap? LOL

This is hilarious.  The Jets will be TORCHED by the Pats 2 times this year and be shown no mercy, you big mouth.

Don't you mean first round bust that BB traded up for Rasi Dowling?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

It's fun to speculate during camp as to which of the 90 will be on the 53 man roster and who will be on the practice squad. That being said I think BB and the brain trust  in Foxboro understand the needs of the team and the strengths and weaknessess at each position. I can't imagine they don't have plans and back-up plans and contingency plans for each position and a model for how they want this team built. I like the training camp/pre-season conjecture as much as the next poster but without knowing the internal discussions regarding certain players and positions all of our bloviating is just conjecture.

Of course we are all bloviating. That's what this board is for. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Rookie and fellow BIG  MOUTH, CB McDougle, TORN ACL per your buddy Rich Cimini.

Every time you mention the Jets, so will I.

Milliner a bust with a high ankle sprain and McDougle done. Dimitri Patterson torched in camp and injured with calf and ankle injuries.

Now Kylie Wilson is a starter on the outside with injury prone Ras I Dowling.  Great job by Idzik, huh, RKrap? LOL

This is hilarious.  The Jets will be TORCHED by the Pats 2 times this year and be shown no mercy, you big mouth.

More predictions, Queenie.  Shall we revisit last year's big prediction?  It sounded something like this...

"the Jets will be TORCHED by the Pats 2 times this year and be shown no mercy"

"No way a Geno Smith led team hangs 30 on a BB defense"

Bwhahahahaahahahahahaha!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Other than the DT injuries, I'm not sure what's changed at the other positions? Maybe LB depth is a bit concerning, if Anderson doesn't pan out.  But, I'd be more concerned if they were counting on him to be a starter. My guess is he'll be fine a .

Same with TE. We knew going in it was Gronk and Hooman, and then whoever. It will be a Mulligan-level guy, which is available on the street pretty much any time. Maneri or Hartsock can fill that role. Maybe DJ Williams can still emerge, but honestly has anybody ever even seen that guy play football? I haven't, not that I remember.

RB is a strong suit as I see it. 

So, really DT is the one area of concern right now, and it doesn't seem as if either guy is an IR candidate at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Other than the DT injuries, I'm not sure what's changed at the other positions? Maybe LB depth is a bit concerning, if Anderson doesn't pan out.  But, I'd be more concerned if they were counting on him to be a starter. My guess is he'll be fine a .

Same with TE. We knew going in it was Gronk and Hooman, and then whoever. It will be a Mulligan-level guy, which is available on the street pretty much any time. Maneri or Hartsock can fill that role. Maybe DJ Williams can still emerge, but honestly has anybody ever even seen that guy play football? I haven't, not that I remember.

So, really DT is the one area of concern right now, and it doesn't seem as if either guy is an IR candidate at this point.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sil is IR'd designate to return

Everyone here talks about the big 3 LB unit, and not to worry about that 4th and 5th slots, but Hightower is a liability on passing downs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Wouldn't surprise me if Sil is IR'd designate to return

Everyone here talks about the big 3 LB unit, and not to worry about that 4th and 5th slots, but Hightower is a liability on passing downs. 

I would imagine that with the flexibility in the secondary Hightower isn't going to be asked to cover in those situations. If he is out there in those situations you would think he is going to be coming off the edge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

If the o-line plays on game 3 of the pre season like they did on week 1,  order TB a hospital bed.

Defense play was average at best, but Patricia hasn't changed a thing with his calls.  3rd and long (3rd bad 15),  the LB's drop 15 and Rb gets 16.   Wtf... Don't care if they were 1st, 2nd or 3rd stringers.  Happens way too often .

BB. Fix it or fire the fool

Always Right.....at least in my mind

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

You can be critical anytime you want to.  And once we get into the regular season and the Pats are playing like they did in Pre-Season Game #1, I'll join the critics club even though I'm not ashamed and actually proud to be a homer. 

That being said, during their last Winning Super Bowl year, the Patriots embarrassed themselves in the Third Preseason Game against Detroit.  Belichick was so mad he actually played the starters all the way through 3 Quarters and the Pats still got smoked.  I remember that game and the team looked absolutely awful in all areas.  This was supposed to be the final tune-up for the regular season.  I don't know if this forum was available back then but if it was, I can only imagine what kind of criticism that would have taken place.

Let's see if they look any better against the Panthers on Friday night.  This game will be televised here in NC and I'm looking forward to watching it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I appreciate you posting what you see concerning players.....whether it be good or bad. Your early assessment of Justin Jones kept me from getting too psyched about this guy. Some fans saw his size, three cone times and had him penciled on the 53 man squad and being a big asset in the red zone. Size and combine times don't always equate to being an NFL player (plus he was undrafted).

It's up to you about continuing to give honest assessments on players because you're going to receive criticism. Too many people on this board have blinders on and think every BB pickup is going to help the team. No team hits on all their draft picks including the Pats.

I'm not going to take the time and tally your opinions on players but from this viewpoint you've been right more than you've been wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Your concerns are valid Rkarp.  Objective fans know they are.  There's no reason to panic, but there's also no reason to bury one's head deeply in the sand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

I found it odd that BB sat all three starting LBs Thursday. Is he that concerned about the LB depth that he'll have to manage their preseason minutes knowing there is nothing behind Mayo, Collins and Hightower? 

I think he just wants to get a good hard look at the back ups.  Apparently, he used the joint practice session more to tune up the starters and used the game to evaluate where the back ups are. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

No problem with you expressing your thoughts and concerns, I just don't like it when your personal feelings about BB become the basis for your arguments. My opinion is we learned nothing from preseason game 1. I heard reports of BBs comments where he stated the real work was done on Monday and Tuesday last week. DL depth may be a concern when the season starts, depending on how serious the Sil and Jones injuries turn out to be. Jones walked off, wasn't carted (from what I saw) so hopefully it isn't too bad. Sil is a hand, much better than a knee or ankle. I don't think you can look at Anderson playing behind the non-starting DL and alongside the non-starting LBs and make a good assessment of how he played. TE 2 and 3 is in flux. If Gronk is ready when the season starts, which is what we are hearing, Hooman moves to 2 and ? at 3. That is in better shape than all but a few games last year. Maybe add a veteran roster cut later in camp or after the season starts. RB by committee works, Ridley and Vereen plus White and likely Develin, how productive they are will be a product of the OL. Again, maybe add a veteran roster cut later in camp or after the season starts. OL is working some young guys in, and this is the first year post Dante. I know nothing about the new OL coach. This is the biggest concern for me, along with Solders concussion history and Vollmers injury history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Show me the perfect team?

Nothing is immutable, not even the Buddhas.  The faces on a team are ever changing, like pebbles in a river.

"Critical" implies the situation is dire, since 2001 have things ever been so nadir one could deem there was a "critical" problem outside of injuries?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Come on Rkarp, you know it's never a good time to be critical. People will always find fault in something you say and rush to defend something. I've learned over the past couple of years that regardless if you're right or how legitimate your concern is in the end it's why are you questioning, do you think you know better? I mean honestly, not many will admit they did but here's some things I got seriously jumped on from over the last couple years:

• Signing Amendola over Welker
    • Cautioning over getting too excited about Armstead
    • Thinking A. Wilson wasn't starter quality anymore
    • Wanting BB to spend on quality starters instead of trying to sign 5 nickles and calling it a quarter
    • Thinking the DT position was really thin last year
    • Not getting Vereen a proper 3rd down backup last year
    • Not having a vet pass rusher to spell Nink and Jones last year
    • The TE position looked awfully thin this year going into offseason
    • Not getting a better vet WR this offseason
    • Saying the OL we drafted might take a few years and not liking their injury issues in college
    • Thinking the LB position was thin going into the offseason and not thinking a 2nd FA period one would do the trick
    • Saying 2nd FA period and cut vets aren't as good as people think they are

No I'm not always right but I never understood why I got so much dumped on me for the above statements being called a BB basher, hater, troll, and what not (and no I'm not just talking about Rusty) when all the above were obvious and legitimate concerns. There's being negative and there's be realistic and people have trouble seeing the difference when they have their blinders on.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

Sections
Shortcuts