WHEN Tommy has another Outstanding season this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: WHEN Tommy has another Outstanding season this year

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is partially true. I think there is a tendency to lump those two Superbowls together. One was all about the Giants Dline. The Pats offense really struggled to move the ball. McDaniels and BB couldn't adjust. The offensive line got beaten bad. Tom Brady was basically a punching bag ... Maroney was a zero.  

But the second one was much more efficient. If you gave me those numbers by the offense over the course of a season (scoring percentage on drives, yardage, turnover rate) you are talking about a good offense. That they had so few opportunities to score with, is another story altogether. 

Yes, the games were quite different, though there were still some commonalities.  In SB 42, the Giants defensive line was the major issue for the Pats' offense.  The Pats had some injuries on the O line, which may have exacerbated the problem, but that D line and the scheme employed (with three athletic pass rushers--Tuck, Osi, and Strahan) really stifled both the running game and the passing game. The Pats had much better and deeper receivers and runners in 42 than 46, but plays just couldn't develop because the Giants D line so dominated guys like Kaczur and a gimpy Neal.  The Giants also had something like a nine minute drive to open the game . . . that was a hint at the defensive problems that were starting to emerge.

I think the major issue in 46 on offense was the injury to Gronk.  We just didn't have enough other offensive weapons to compensate.  I will say, however, that when I watched the coaching film of SB 46, I was surprised at the number of missed blocks in the running game.  The O line did struggle a bit with the Giants' D line, though they weren't as completely dominated as they were in 42.  As you say, the Pats were also not as bad as some seem to think on offense.  They orchestrated two very good drives mid game. But they needed to be better on their other drives given how few they had because of the defense being unable to get the Giants off the field. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Glad to see rusty is posting 800 times a day again bashing Brady! Makes me laugh that he bashes the best player this franchise has ever had. Now that's a guy that is utterly clueless.

And he gets cluelesser and cluelesser.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

[QUOTE]

THEY were ranked 31st in total D, which includes, ToP, yards and 3rd down conversions, and is exactlywhat KILLED them in the game.  26, 1st downs in 8 possessions!  PFFT

The Giants defense ranked 27th in yards and 25th in points, WORSE THAN THE PATRIOTS!  

But their offense didn't turn the ball over and they scored more, they played a ball control, pound the rock offense, with precision high % passing and played the clock perfectly... they did to us what our offense did to others back in our Championship years... rocked them to sleep.  The only ones who can't see that are some of our fans.

[/QUOTE]

And apparently..... BB?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Face it, Brady, Welker, Logie, Matt Light and whoever else was left from thaat 2007 team, had a chance to atone for the SB 42 loss and completely blew a fantastic opportunity to avoid a turnover in the 4th and just get a FG to possibly win it.

Face it, the Pats D had a chance to atone for the SB 42 collapse and completely blew a fantastic opportunity to not collapse yet again and lose another SB where they were given a lead in the last minutes.

The VI gets bludgeoned again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

And apparently..... BB?

[/QUOTE]

I think there has been a dramatic change in offensive philosophy with the drafting and acquisition of tightend and fullback talent over the past few years, as well as this off season loading up on bigger more physical receivers, BB is keenly aware of it.