When's the last time the Pats won scoring only 13?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

When's the last time the Pats won scoring only 13?

I can't remember.  2006 Maybe?  2004?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: When's the last time the Pats won scoring only 13?

just yesterday

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

They beat the Bills with Cassel in 2008 13-0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

2004 against Jets

EDIT: I'm wrong

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

New England beat Buffalo 13-0 in week 17 of 2008...

OK, never mind, someone already posted that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

12/28/08 13-0 over Bills

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It was a great win for the D for sure. The scary stat to me is when was the last time the Pats were 4/18 on 3rd downs and 0/3 in the redzone? Maybe 06'? but I can't even remember a time I saw them that bad on O before

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

2003:

10/26 9-3 W Browns

11/16 12-0 W Boys

12/7 12-0 W Fins

What a defense back then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

2008 in week 17 against the Buffalo Bills team that had quit, in the season they benched Losman for Edwards.

Before that ... 2004 when they did once, 2003 when they did it three times, and before that 2001 when they did it once.

It's even scarier when you up the score ... this is the first time NE has won a game scoring less than 20 points since 2008 -- a feat they used to accomplish several times a season, and did at in FOUR of their NINE playoff victories on the way to their three Superbowls. 

It's something championship teams need to be able to do: win low scoring games by playing the best defense on the field that day. 

And before posters come in and talk about the game 'changing' ... Pittsburgh won seven games scoring less than 20 between 2010 and 2011 and the 49ers did it 4 times between 2011-12.

It's what really good defenses do ... they win some of the games that are low scoring by being the better defense.

The last half decade, NE's defense has tended to roll over in any affair where the offense isn't scoring at least 24 points.

Not last night! :)  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It was a great win for the D for sure. The scary stat to me is when was the last time the Pats were 4/18 on 3rd downs and 0/3 in the redzone? Maybe 06'? but I can't even remember a time I saw them that bad on O before

shhhh, we don't really want to talk about 3rd down conversion rate and red zone offense, do we?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

2003:

10/26 9-3 W Browns

11/16 12-0 W Boys

12/7 12-0 W Fins

They beat the Jests 13-7 in 2004 as well. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

shhhh, we don't really want to talk about 3rd down conversion rate and red zone offense, do we?

It was terrible. But, I mean ... give them a break. This team has been #1 in those stats three years running. 

Right now they have no one. Ok, Edelman, a decent slot, that's who they've got. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Yeah, put that into context. 

One win scoring less than 14 in 8 years?

Teams that win championships do that a few times per season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

It was terrible. But, I mean ... give them a break. This team has been #1 in those stats three years running. 

That's the issue Z, how do you go from 70% conversion and one of the best 3rd down teams all time last year to that last night in the course of a single offseason?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

the Jests are an offensively challenged team which I'm sure everyone is aware of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

2008 in week 17 against the Buffalo Bills team that had quit, in the season they benched Losman for Edwards.

Before that ... 2004 when they did once, 2003 when they did it three times, and before that 2001 when they did it once.

It's even scarier when you up the score ... this is the first time NE has won a game scoring less than 20 points since 2008 -- a feat they used to accomplish several times a season, and did at in FOUR of their NINE playoff victories on the way to their three Superbowls. 

It's something championship teams need to be able to do: win low scoring games by playing the best defense on the field that day. 

And before posters come in and talk about the game 'changing' ... Pittsburgh won seven games scoring less than 20 between 2010 and 2011 and the 49ers did it 4 times between 2011-12.

It's what really good defenses do ... they win some of the games that are low scoring by being the better defense.

The last half decade, NE's defense has tended to roll over in any affair where the offense isn't scoring at least 24 points.

Not last night! :)  

Bingo.  Looks like the good old days are back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

2003:

10/26 9-3 W Browns

11/16 12-0 W Boys

12/7 12-0 W Fins

True, but look how much the league has really changed.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That's the issue Z, how do you go from 70% conversion and one of the best 3rd down teams all time last year to that last night in the course of a single offseason?

It happens by losing every single one of your starting targets and your third down back and replacing them with rookies who don't know the playbook and one backup?

Sorry, PE ... did you miss the offseason man?

It's pretty cut and dried. There were literally about 20 threads over the summer about how this would hurt .... there were even threads about how bad it might get if Amendola goes down (like he does every season). There were threads about how Brady was going to take the field with only one player who'd ever even caught a pass from him. There were threads on top of threads. 

You, right now, are witnessing what people said in the worst case scenario. Many people whistled past the gravyard on this one. Here are the refrains when those threads about roster turnover, missing Welker/Hernandez/Gronk and if Amendola goes down:

a.) Run the ball, it always works. (Well it's not. And for future reference ... running does not always work ... that's wy NFL teams pass, you know, occaisionally. More importantly, NE isn't that good at running that they can run at will. They've run behind the pass for seasons now.) 

b.) Spread the ball around. (That works when WRs know where they are supposed to be.)

c.) As long as we have Tom, we are ok. (He's only one player, and he's not perfect.)

d.) Hernandez wasn't that talented. (He would instantly be the best skill player NE has right now by a mile stretch.)

e.) Edelman is as good as Welker even if Amendola goes down. (He isn't.)

f.) [Really the best] Get the rookies involved. (They've seen nearly 60 targets and come down with about six or seven of those targets.)

The people that were worried about this exact scenario were called Doom and Gloom, trolls, handwringers, etc. Well, it has come to pass. Amendola went down. Gronk wasn't ready for the start of the season.  

Outside of Tom Brady and Ridley ... this is not a starting caliber NFL offense out there. And Ridley is playing well beneath the standard he set last season.

I'm not saying they won't be, but they aren't now.

When/if Gronk comes back healthy, and when/if Amendola comes back healthy, and when/if the rookies can start doing things right most of the time (they don't even need to be perfect) then you will see the offense start to bounce back.

Sorry to ramble on, but these games really put a stake in the heart of so many arguments that bashed NE for how they ran their offense. 

They ran the offense through Gronk and Welker because those guys and Brady were the offense. Without them, Ridley isn't a 1000 yard back, all of those outside WRs who hobbled around were JAGs.

With Gronk out the offense takes a huge step back. Without Welker (or in this case Amendola) backing him, it takes an even larger step back. 

Right now NE doesn't have a skill position player to hang their hat on. It's going to be a bumpy ride until the rookies start to get it, and until their starters start to get healthy. 

For the time being ... enjoy the defense which has figured out how to play at a very high level without an offense spotting them 30+ points and converting a mind boggling percentage of third downs and a league low three&outs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

2003:

10/26 9-3 W Browns

11/16 12-0 W Boys

12/7 12-0 W Fins

True, but look how much the league has really changed.  

^ see above in my post. The league hasn't changed. Teams, gasp, can still play defense and allow less than 14 points. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

NE has some catching up to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

NE has some catching up to do.

Well, the point differential, in that 12 year span is ~1.4.

Those early defenses allowed about ~14.5-15ppg. 

To play at that level, NE would need to allow about ~15.9-16.4 ppg.

They've, basically, been a 21-23 ppg defense the last five years. End of the day, they have been allowing a full TD more than they used to. That is a huge drop-off, even if the offense is scoring a TD more.

Why?

Well, if someone like Gronk goes down ... you will start losing games.  

Sections
Shortcuts