Where are all the people who attacked my assessment of our cbs over the past 2 years, esp mcc and arring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Where are all the people who attacked my assessment of our cbs over the past 2 years, esp mcc and arring

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Heaven help us if Janoris Jenkins ever has a Big Game.

You know he hasn't done bad for a rook. Not great or even very good but he's done alright. His numbers are a bit skewed towards his favor though as he's being targetted a lot by opposing QB's and the Rams D isn't all that great so frankly I'd expect him to have better PD and Tackle numbers by now. Certainly not the next coming of Revis as some proclaimed this early into his career but he might trend towards another Jet, ie Cro. Similar playing style both on and off the field

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Where are all the people who attacked my assessment of our cbs over the past 2 years, esp mcc and arring

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Someone mentioned above that you can't blame the secondary because of the poor job the front seven did...why not? On more than a few occassions Arington was beat so quickly and so badly that no pass rush would of helped (as it turns out there was none, but it didn't matter). A pass rush also is not going to help McCourty and Gregory make a tackle that a pop warner player could of made either. And when is Dowling going to contribute? Guys that were taken at the top of the second round aren't supposed to do as little as this guy has over the time he's been here.

I DO think a pass rush would help, but bredbru has a point...the secondary is poor. 

Fair enough, but the question here is can we win a SB with the current secondary.  I think with a decent pass rush there is enough raw ability for them to be effective enough.  Brdbreu seems to think we need a top 5 secondary to win a SB.  I don't agree.

actually my stated concern is that im not sure we can beat a bood qb with good receivers with bottom third cbs (sure it can happen, but i dont like my chances; which is why id try to improve it before playoffs).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

ctually my stated concern is that im not sure we can beat a bood qb with good receivers with bottom third cbs (sure it can happen, but i dont like my chances; which is why id try to improve it before playoffs).

It worked for the Giants...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Heaven help us if Janoris Jenkins ever has a Big Game.

You know he hasn't done bad for a rook. Not great or even very good but he's done alright. His numbers are a bit skewed towards his favor though as he's being targetted a lot by opposing QB's and the Rams D isn't all that great so frankly I'd expect him to have better PD and Tackle numbers by now. Certainly not the next coming of Revis as some proclaimed this early into his career but he might trend towards another Jet, ie Cro. Similar playing style both on and off the field

who proclaimed jenkins a revis?

never heard that. some analysts prior to the draft said he COULD become a shut down corner in the nfl.

i dont think our safeties are bottom tier, but that our cbs are bottom third and that is my concern.

devin's technique is poor though he hasnt been beat as much as last year yet (still hes where the qb goes when a team needs a pass, ie balt, and usually completes it ie flacco)

when i watch him (ie at balt) he either holds or lets guys blow past him, doesnt turn for the ball, and mauls or faceguards the guy hes defending.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

ctually my stated concern is that im not sure we can beat a bood qb with good receivers with bottom third cbs (sure it can happen, but i dont like my chances; which is why id try to improve it before playoffs).

It worked for the Giants...

because of our front 4

call me when the pats have 4 d lineman who can get to a qb that quick

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

BredBru/Jints:

That is precisely my point.  If you have a salary cap you can only spend so much money on players.  In my view it doesn't make sense to spend big money on secondary guys because you can get away with just about anyone back there if you can create pressure and one good corner isn't going to help you if the QB has all day to throw or if they can just run on you.  Considering that BB cut Ty Law loose, didn't pay Asante big money and has continuosly plugged draft picks, guys off the street and cheap FA's into the secondary leads me to believe he agrees with my assessment.  Look I'd love to have another Rodney Harrison back there, but pro-bowl caliber secondary guys at under 3 million per year don't just grow on trees.

I made this point previously and I will say it again.  The Ravens forked out 8-9 mill per year to Webb.  Webb is a fine player, but what good did it do against NE when Brady had time to throw.  They got absolutely torched.

Sections
Shortcuts