Where are all the Spikes lovers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Where are all the Spikes lovers?

He says, “But I just feel like both sides would benefit from a fresh start.”. Bye Brandon.

He's as good as gone. Where are all the homers that slammed those of us who were saying he was nothing special whatsoever and would not be retained?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Where are all the Spikes lovers?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He says, “But I just feel like both sides would benefit from a fresh start.”. Bye Brandon.

He's as good as gone. Where are all the homers that slammed those of us who were saying he was nothing special whatsoever and would not be retained?

[/QUOTE]

Yes Babe he's not Brady so you hate him. We all get that. We also all get that on planet Babe every single plkayer on the team should be a Hall Of Fame lock and perenial pro bowler otherwise BB is doing something wrong.

Planet babe is a wonderful place were your every delusion is real because you say so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I'm def a fan of Spikes and he is good when put in the right system, but we all knew his time was close to done when they drafted Collins and Hightower And both progressed so quickly. He was good, thanks for the time. Have a good career

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

I said when they drafted him that he was not the player they thought he'd be (I had attend a few of the UF football games and scrimmages) . . . he was on an outstanding Florida team (good enough to even make Tebow look good) . . . Spikes was over-rated from the start. Cunningham and Dunlop in the line made him look better, Doe and Jones were solid outside backers, and Haden was the best CB in college with Black, Wright and the two freshmen, Hill and Jenkins they had the best defensive backfield in college.  Spikes never had to worry about coverage when he was in college!

I have hoped all along that I'd be wrong and he'd work out as a solid pro-bowl player but he was nothing but a run stopper and will never be the 3 down LB the Patriots had hoped for. 

So it is time to move on and use the Mayo, Hightower, Collins combo with Fletcher and  with one pickup in the draft or a FA to led this defense to the SB next year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I agree. Spikes can and will be a good player in this league, just for another team in a different system that more fits his strengths...could see the Raiders in on him. Browns too. Jets?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

i like him, but I think his knees are toast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He is what he is... a very good run defender that brings a physical presense to the midde, but has deficiencies in coverage.  

I'd be curious to know if the expected split is tied more to off the field issues than on the field issues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is what he is... a very good run defender that brings a physical presense to the midde, but has deficiencies in coverage.  

I'd be curious to know if the expected split is tied more to off the field issues than on the field issues.

[/QUOTE]

He did not show up for the optional work outs. Remember the start of the season...he was so out of shape he was vomiting and dehydrated on the sidelines.

I forget what GM said it but he said if you are going to survive in today's NFL you had better treat it as a full time job even in the off season.

Another Gator that wasn't up to snuff...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm here.  Unfortunately I know he is limited and his days being a Patriot are numbered.  Liked his hard hitting and attitude on the field.  Hate to see him leave, if only he could cover and had some speed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He did not show up for the optional work outs. Remember the start of the season...he was so out of shape he was vomiting and dehydrated on the sidelines.

I forget what GM said it but he said if you are going to survive in today's NFL you had better treat it as a full time job even in the off season.

[/QUOTE]

Your point is what?  That he doesn't belong in the NFL?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Should have elaborated a bit more. Point is his lack of conditioning in the off season got under BB skin.

If you want a run stopper he's your guy. He can't stop a pass over the middle if his life depended on it.

Should be interesting to watch him going forward.

In terms of Gators, how many have not been the A level guys here?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And Spikes saying that in no uncertain terms would he ever play in NE again means it crossed over into personal at some point in time.

Sometimes breakups don't go well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Should have elaborated a bit more. Point is his lack of conditioning in the off season got under BB skin.

If you want a run stopper he's your guy. He can't stop a pass over the middle if his life depended on it.

Should be interesting to watch him going forward.

In terms of Gators, how many have not been the A level guys here?

[/QUOTE]

I think we're saying the same thing then... very good vs. the run... lacking/subpar vs. the pass.

Without looking up every former Gator, I think most have underperformed, dating back to the Spurrier days.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I always felt Hightower was his replacement.  He's more versatile than Spikes.  

That being said,  I liked Spikes' fire but it was a foregone conclusion at the end of last season that he was gone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like how the guy stayed in Florida this off season to "work on his coverage skills" instead of staying here in our off season program, I bet him "working on his coverage skills" was nighly visits to the club...mixed with large quantities of alcohol and questionable friends.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great interior LB against the run, can't cover anyone outside of three steps to his left or right....

As for the off field stuff, I remember a twitter comment about "rails of" a white substance for santa....and photo's of him at AH's family get together....it would not surprise me to see him called as a witness at the AH tiral...bet he was a visitor to the AH "fun house" secret apartment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it was clearly off field issues. BB knew the player he was getting with Spikes. He covets the run stuffing intimidating LBer, the Ted Johnson, Rhoman Phifer types. Lots of 260 pound Lbers can't cover and play down hill. 

BB also knew he was going to replace him when he drafted Higtower and then Collins with his 1st pick in each of those drafts.

Spikes was a top 5 run defending Lber in this league, we got 4 good years from him and now get 4 more from Collins and Hightower.

Plus we'll probably get a 3rd rd compensatory pick.

Good luck in Oakland Brandon!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck in Oakland Brandon!

[/QUOTE]

my bet is Cleveland

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I really liked him coz he was areal masher , he was effectively used as a hybrid dline, he could put fear into a rb, There were a few plays where he was put in the right posy potion to limit pass yac to a rb, Ray Lewis in his last 2 yrs was worse against the pass. Bb used him correctly especially after kelly and VW went down

That said , all of the other stuff said here seems sad but true

And as said, we need  another Lb  into the mix

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree. Spikes can and will be a good player in this league, just for another team in a different system that more fits his strengths...could see the Raiders in on him. Browns too. Jets?

[/QUOTE]

I could see either Cleveland or NY too. Both teams can afford to pay a little extra for  limited player like Spikes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm a big fan of his because he's one of the few guys that plays with fire and attitude on the team.  Hell I would be overjoyed if a few other of our players played with that level of intensity and wild abandon.  However, I never thought BB would pay him the kind of money he would be looking for come the end of his contract.  And considering his skillset and dedication off the field, I can't find fault with that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could see either Cleveland or NY too. Both teams can afford to pay a little extra for  limited player like Spikes.

[/QUOTE]

Think the Jets are looking to overpay for a 1-2 down LB?  Seems their run D is pretty stout.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

fyi

ny post had him as the 3rd best ILB   FA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

fyi

ny post had him as the 3rd best ILB   FA

[/QUOTE]

I care about the NY Post about as much as I care about the Boston Herald.  It's still not a need. I'd rather overpay for Byrd.

Sections
Shortcuts