Where are the positives of this season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Where are the positives of this season?

Seriously, where? This has been one of the least rewarding seasons since 2000 - so far at least. Where are the big wins against good teams? Where are the last minute drives to win games (outside of the Bills handing the game to the Pats in week 1)? The big defensive stops? Much like this team has been "searching for an identity" this season has no identity. Here is the identity of the last several years:

2001- Scrappy team comes together with a sixth round QB to win a SB.
    2002 - Brady shows that he is on the road to becoming an elite passer (leads league in TD passes).
    2003- Dominant D leads team to another SB. 14-2 with a 13 game winning streak.
    2004- Dominant D and running game. 14-2 again, another Super Bowl and they win it despite losing both starting corners.
    2005-Hard luck injuries to the D, but the team comes together at the end of the year and is streaking into the playoffs. Lose at Denver - like they always do. Most importantly, Tedy comes back from a stroke.
    2006-Maybe Brady's best season. Leads the team to within two minutes of another Super Bowl with Reche Caldwell as his top receiver.
    2007-Super Bowl notwithstanding, need I say more?
    2008-Matt Cassel and an aging defense still show that they are not a one man bunch and finish 11-5.

2009 - So far, I have not seen anything positive come out of this season except that Brady came back. Other than that, they have been a disappointment. I don't have any idea how else we will remember this season if they don't win a super bowl.

Even if they win, it will be - Wow, that team had no business winning a super bowl. Not that I care, if they win I'll be ecstatic. But this is the least fun I've had watching this team since 2002.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

Re: Where are the positives of this season?

I would say making the playoffs is a positive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Oh yee of short sidedness...  they made the playoffs!!! That alone exceeds last year's result! 

Until that run starts, plus forget about 2007 and the past, then we'll judge.  I am certain if they go farther than you think they will, you won't cry, will you? Unless you somehow hav ethis delusion the Pats should have SB winning season EVERY season, not all season will be smelling like roses.  If anything, this was a very up and down year.  Which team shows up in the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Volmer and Edelman are both positives and I for 1 am happy about getting to watch my team play in January again. If you're unhappy with the present team you can also say that we made some great trades for draft picks and have a big day 1 draft day coming. It's tough watching your team become beatable when we didn't use to be but look at that bright side. In our first Superbowl year we were expected to not even make it to the playoffs and we shocked the world. If we win it all this year the world will not be shocked. Stranger things have happened.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Wow, you enjoyed that 2005 season including that horrible playoff loss in Denver? Good times! You liked last year where we won 11 games and had to sit on our hands and watch other teams in the playoffs? The first 11-5 team not to make the playoffs in how many years? Like 15 or something?

As long as we don't suffer a humiliating loss to the Ravens, which I grant you is possible - as long as we advance past that, it's a better season than 2005 and 2008, which were both good enough for you, so you should be all set.

Yeah, it's hard watching a quarterback recover from major knee surgery and a defense rebuild on the fly, but we're in the playoffs once again. Hard to say that was a horrible season. 

As for 2006, "Reche Caldwell as his top receiver" - yeah that was good times, watching Caldwell try to catch balls. 

Every season is different. Many years from now, you'll look back an appreciate the Tom Brady era a little more. Trust me, 2009 wasn't/isn't so bad. Think about how you'd feel as a Steelers fan right now, your team at home, unable to even try to defend your championship. Or how about Giants or Broncos fans - running off a ton of wins, including in the Broncos case a decisive win over the Pats, only to be sitting at home watching on the flat screen.

Sure, this was a frustrating team to watch on many occasions this year, but let's see what the playoffs bring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Playoffs in a rebuilding year, jettisoned Seymour, Bruschi, Vrable, Harrison though the D wasn't great it was respectable. Hope is can we build off this year with draft picks and FA's to become a powerhouse again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Caesar, from small acorns mighty oaks grow....and these acorns STILL won a division!

The seed bed is not just for the players...look at the coaches...the organization is still a fountain for the league.  

Let it snow!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I would say a good draft, we are still in the playoffs and Brady's comeback make it a great year so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Younger and faster

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Pay strict attention to this thread, friends and neighbors.

This right here is your classic spoiled Pats fan who cannot see the forest because there are too many trees blocking his view.

The Pats won the division (yet again) in what should be viewed as a rebuilding year, have given their fans another home playoff game, and this guy is wondering where the positives are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

1. Having Brady come back from knee surgery and making it through an entire regular season has been a huge positive. He's had a good year given the fact he hurt his shoulder in pre-season and has been playing lately through a lot of injuries.

2. The fact that we lost 5 games by close margins means if this team can get better at making adjustments (improved coaching) next year some of these close loses in the 2nd half can become wins.

3. Overall our draft picks this year saw a decent amount of playing time I think we can have a few starters in the future once they get the hang of playing in the NFL. I can see Vollmer, Edleman making long term contributions on offense while on defense Butler, Chung, Pryor, and Brace all got some time on the field this year. While no one outside of Vollmer was super impressive if they all continue to improve and see more game action we could get 2-3 starters from this group, and most of the rest might be key backups.

4. We made the playoffs and 3 out of the last 4 seasons the Super Bowl champ has come from the first round. So lets not give up on our team yet.

5. We won 10 games, won our division and made the playoffs despite some of the worst OC I've seen in my 36 years of watching the NFL. Our 1990-93 teams made better halftime adjustments. So I'm expecting to see a change here this offseason.

I see most of our problems as correctable (ie: Better coaching). Get a OC that makes halftime adjustments, kick a field goal on 4th down when your in the red zone and have a lead, young guys step it up a bit next year not making as many rookie mistakes, you'll this team winning more games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If this was the only one it would be enough but it isn't but to me seeing Brady that first game was awesome and to have him back to form is a positive isn't it?
    What about a draft that brought some depth as well as a future LT?  AFC East Champs, home playoff game, Tully proves us wrong (I was the biggest hatter!).

Just because the team is not breaking records and winning all games doesn't mean it was a throw away season, how can it be?  We lost more than any other team in the league could have afforded to loss and finish top of their division and on to the playoffs. 

The season is not over, so I tend to believe if we win the SB you'll post how awesome this season was.  We need to look at the big picture and that is we got younger faster and gained experience this year, rebuilding this dynasty while not going to the back of the pack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

1. Winning AFC East
    2. Return of Brady
    3. First playoffs since 2007
    4. Seymour for first round pick in 2011
    5. Emergence of Edelman, Vollmer and Merriweather
    6. Fred Taylor
    7. Holding it all together without: Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, and Seymour.

I agree this team has dissapointed my dreams but that's because I had to adjust my expectations. This is a good team that got in the playoffs. You can't win 'em all. They're set up well for the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Okay, anyone willing to bash me now? Again, does this season even leave you with hope for the future, or with longing for the past.

I was at the game, and I saw a team with no chemistry, no cohesion, and no heart. I would rather have last year's non=playoff team that clawed to an 11-5 finish with their best player injured than this underachieving bunch. I have never seen such pitiful playcalling, execution, and effort. i would take any year this decade (even 2002 because it ended with a win) than this season.

Hopefully, this wakes Kraft and BB up and they start signing the talent that they drafted (e.g., Wilfork) and develop the next dynasty. Because the 2001-07 dynasty is OVER. Has been since Cheddar Bob caught that TD in Glendale. And if I am a spoiled Pats fan, so be it. At least I paid money to support the team and stayed till the end. That's more than I can say for 85% of the fans that went to the game. Or those that didnt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Simroy:

I hear you. But I'm a little aggravated at how so many people jumped on me when I simply questioned what this season would be remembered for. In my opinion, even in past losing seasons, there was a positive identity to the season. This season, I feel, was not positive. And what I saw today backed that up. Big time. Yes, maybe I am spoiled - but that is the way it is. When your kid is an A student and comes back with an C+, you don't think "Well, I'm just being spoiled. He got a lot of A's and I should be thankful."

No. You are ticked because he is wasting potential. Much like the Pats. They are wasting Brady's prime with bad decisions and bad coaching. Not what we are used to and not what we should be seeing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

1. Volmer
    2. Edleman
    3. Draft Picks
    4. Welker's Incredible Regular Season - 123 catches
    5. Return to Playoffs While Rebuilding
    6. Leading 15 of 17 games in 2nd half (Negative is Blowing the Leads)
    7. Wifork; Played for the Love of the Game.
    8. Brady's return
    9. 8-0 Regular Season Home record
    10. 59-0 vs Titans
    11. 55 Minute Dominance of Colts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

First: 9/14/2008
    Last: 1/10/2010
    1. Volmer
    2. Edleman
    3. Draft Picks
    4. Welker's Incredible Regular Season - 123 catches
    5. Return to Playoffs While Rebuilding
    6. Leading 15 of 17 games in 2nd half (Negative is Blowing the Leads)
    7. Wifork; Played for the Love of the Game.
    8. Brady's return
    9. 8-0 Regular Season Home record
    10. 59-0 vs Titans
    11. 55 Minute Dominance of Colts

PAGING DAN DUQUETTE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Bad question to answer today.
    But I agree with all about that Brady's comeback from his knee injury was a big deal.
    Chemistry and coordination between Brady & Welker.
    Everything about Wes Welker- MVP of team- demonstrated Patriot iron man spirit and class.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

First: 9/25/2006
    Last: 1/10/2010
    Bad question to answer today.
    But I agree with all about that Brady's comeback from his knee injury was a big deal.
    Chemistry and coordination between Brady & Welker.
    Everything about Wes Welker- MVP of team- demonstrated Patriot iron man spirit and class.

BUT IS THAT NEW? WELKER HAS BEEN AWESOME SINCE HE GOT HERE. WHAT DID THIS SEASON BRING US? WHAT HAS SPENDING 17 SUNDAYS WATCHING TV TAUGHT US?

THAT THE BEST IS BEHIND US. THAT'S WHAT I GOT OUT OF THIS YEAR. SORRY, BUT IT IS THE TRUTH. WE ARE THE 2001-08 NY YANKEES. HOPEFULLY, WE CAN MAKE LIKE THE 2009 YANKS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

SIMROY:

Yep, I realized that after I posted. Sorry. Was a dumb thread and thought you started it. Should have actually LOOKED at your post. Mea culpa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Brady com ing back, some good draft picks for the future, making the playoffs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

I guess to answer my own question:

TBC
    Bodden
    Vollmer
    Edelman

But those are all with an eye to 2010

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

oh a #1 draft pick for 2011 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

"oh a #1 draft pick for 2011"

Which we will trade down.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Simroy:

Agreed. All I could think about today was that this better get BB and RK so ticked off that they stop playing the "negotiating game" and start worrying about getting the next Harrison and Bruschi on board.