Where did those two yards come from?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miSOXfan. Show miSOXfan's posts

Where did those two yards come from?

Sorry if this was already brought up....

Did anyone else notice that, just before the first TD, Wes Welker was stopped at the four-yard line, near the first down marker?  The ball was spotted at the two instead of the four. So where did those extra two yards come from?  Later in the day, I checked the play-by-play, thinking that TV missed a play, maybe a sneak or something.  But that wasn't the case.  Anyone else see this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Where did those two yards come from?

It's where the ball goes out of bounds, not his feet.

Welker was reaching for the end zone and apparently stepped out of bounds just before breaking the plane.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Nick is correct. When I saw the ref originally spotting the ball at the 4 I screamed, "We got skrewed on that spot"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

too funny...i went back to review it because the ref seemed to spot it where he thought WW's foot went out...I thought it was a TD but upon further review it didn't look like his foot (left i believe) was out.  Previous post is probably correct -- spot is where the ball goes out assuming no other part is out first (?). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE NFL....

The NFL has decided to give the New England Patriots the two yards that was inadvertently denied them on the 4th and 2 play in the game against the Indianapolis Geldings. Thus correcting themselves and making all things right and equal in the game of NFL football.....PPFttt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You guys are talking about a different play.  Misoxfan is talking about when there was 2:50 left in the first right before the first TD.  Welker did not go out of bounds, he got pushed back in the middle of the field.  Forward progress would put him at the 4 yard line, but they spot the ball at the 2.  I don't know why, I watched it again, looks like they just spotted it wrong. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

One thing it does show is that every player in the NFL gets forward progress.  The only time I've ever seen a player not get forward progress the Pats Colt game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Good one Harley.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miSOXfan. Show miSOXfan's posts

Shenanigan,

you are correct.  The play I'm referring to was in the middle of the field, not near the sideline.  It may even have been short of a first down.  I actually thought it was a make-up for the missed call on the Maroney fumble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Forward progress would put him at the 4 yard line, but they spot the ball at the 2.  I don't know why, I watched it again, looks like they just spotted it wrong. 

Oddly, the play-by-play at both ESPN and NFL.com have that play as a 9 yard completion to the 2 yard line from the 11.