Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings?

In Response to Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings? : What is your point?  You are not suggesting that the pats are better than the Jets given the results of their head to head match up, are you?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Huh?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]FANDOM IS IN FULL SWING IN THIS THREAD.  HEAD TO HEAD MATCH UPS GAMES DON'T MATTER HERE.  CAN THOSE WHO PLACED THE PATS AHEAD OF THE JETS OR ANY CURRENTLY UNDEFEATED TEAM OTHER THAN DENVER PLEASE TRY TO JUSTIFY THEIR REASONS SAID PLACEMENT IN ORDER TO PROVE THEIR DECISION IS ANYTHING BUT FANDOM?   I'LL AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE.  THANK YOU. 

The Jets were better on that day....

Are you trying to say that the 2007 Fins were better than the 2007 Ravens because the fins beat them in a Head to head matchup?  OK, good one!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I get it now!  The 2008 Bears were better than the 2008 Colts because the Bears beat the Colts....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Just incase Underdog decides to change his tune about where winning H2H games and having the same record....

Look at 2008:

Dallas lost to Arizona earlier in the season.....

In week 13 both teams had a 7-4 record....

But hey, ESPN had Dallas ranked 9th and Arizona ranked 11th....

How is that?  Maybe ESPN is a bunch of un-biased Dallas fans?  Or is it because of trends and other factors?

Waiting for an answer..... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Come on U-Dogg....Where is your answer?

i am still waiting...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings? : The Jets were better on that day.... Are you trying to say that the 2007 Fins were better than the 2007 Ravens because the fins beat them in a Head to head matchup?  OK, good one!
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

So exactly when did the jets become worse than the pats?  the following day? 

Your example is great.  You are like a reporter taking a statement that on its own appears inflammatory but in the context of the conversation is toothless.  Do you work for the National Enquirer? 

Their would be other evidence to suggest that the Ravens were better than the dolphins, but as you said on any given day one team can beat another.  In the jets/pats case, however, there is no other substantial evidence to suggest that the pats are better than the Jets, in fact there may be evidence to the contrary.  Thus, the "any given day" theory is minimized. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Just incase Underdog decides to change his tune about where winning H2H games and having the same record.... Look at 2008: Dallas lost to Arizona earlier in the season..... In week 13 both teams had a 7-4 record.... But hey, ESPN had Dallas ranked 9th and Arizona ranked 11th.... How is that?  Maybe ESPN is a bunch of un-biased Dallas fans?  Or is it because of trends and other factors? Waiting for an answer..... 

Well, you are not m20/20 because you obviously don't see things too clearly.  Maybe you just like to argue.  Go back to the my post that started your rant.  I even said that the pats were better than Denver who (horrors), has a better record than the pats. 

Forget about examples of how other unrelated things somehow prove or support your arguement.  Do as I asked tell me how the pats are better than the jets. 

That's what I have asked that you (who took on the task) have yet to answer.  Wouldn't that be the only reason to rank the pats higher?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Here is more - in both of your examples you provide pictures of teams that had played nearly a full season.  Thus, there was much more information available to justify a ranking placement that on its face seemed unusual. 

This year we are only 4 games into the season and the only team the jets have lost to is what appears to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL right now.  And that loss was on the road.  

In this very young season, however, the Jets beat the pats with a rookie QB, no great receivers, a new head coach, and major adjustments to the defense.  This was the perfect laboratory for the old belichick to unleash his wicked spells, but to no avail.   

Early in the season, head to head carries much more weight than as the season goes on and 2 games removed from the pats loss to the jets is not enough to suggest that the pats now are somehow better.  But unless the jets fall off the face of the earth, the pats will get the chance to prove themselves in the razor against the jets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

First: 12/29/2008
    Last: 10/9/2009
        After four games, heres' my Power Ratings:

1.) NY Giants: The most balanced club in all phases at this point in the season;

2.) Indianapolis Colts: It kills me to say this...but I've never seen Peyton Manning play as well as he has over the past three games. He has made rookie WRs like Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon look like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Their defense will get much better when Bob Sanders returns.

3.) New Orleans Saints: Another team thats' shown great balance. Drew Brees could threaten Tom Brady's 50 TD passes record;

4.) New England Patriots: Still a work in progress, but seemingly getting better with each game;

5.) Minnesota Vikings: If Brett Favre can continue playing anywhere near as well as he did Monday night, the Vikes will be a legitimate contender. DE Jared Allen is a monster;

6.) Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens now have an offense to go along with their feared defense...although their defense may be a tad overrated;

7.) Philadelphia Eagles: Injuries have prevented them from making their mark. But, when McNabb and Westbrook get healthy, watch out. WR DeSean Jackson is one of the 5 most explosive players in the game;

8.) Pittsburgh Steelers: Don't let that 2-2 mark fool you. They're still tough...and have perhaps the most underrated great QB in the game in Big Ben;

9.) NY Jets: The Jets can play with anybody. But, it remains to be seen if they have staying power;

10.) Denver Broncos: They're still unbeaten. We'll know how good they really are after Sunday's game.    

11.) San Francisco 49ers: A dangerous team on the rise;
    Over all you have a good list but I think it should be Jets 8,  Pittsburgh 9, San Fran 10, and Denver 11, and honestly the only reason that Denver is even sniffing top 10 is their record but they don't deserve it in my opinion they should have no better then a 1-3 record when you look at how they won the games and the poor strength of the teams they played against.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Here is more - in both of your examples you provide pictures of teams that had played nearly a full season.  Thus, there was much more information available to justify a ranking placement that on its face seemed unusual.  This year we are only 4 games into the season and the only team the jets have lost to is what appears to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL right now.  And that loss was on the road.   In this very young season, however, the Jets beat the pats with a rookie QB, no great receivers, a new head coach, and major adjustments to the defense.  This was the perfect laboratory for the old belichick to unleash his wicked spells, but to no avail.    Early in the season, head to head carries much more weight than as the season goes on and 2 games removed from the pats loss to the jets is not enough to suggest that the pats now are somehow better.  But unless the jets fall off the face of the earth, the pats will get the chance to prove themselves in the razor against the jets.

But in the last 2 weeks the Pats have beat 2 teams that many were saying was tops in the NFL.  The Jets have beaten up on 2 pretty bad teams in Houston and Tenn....

New orleans has beaten A 1-3 Buffalo team, a McCabb less Philly team, and the worst team in the NFL (Lions) before beating NYJ...and now the Saints are dubbed one of the best teams in the NFL?  LOL!  Hey, while we are at it, lets call Denver one of the best teams in the NFL....they beat Cincy, Cleveland, Oakland and Dallas....and have yet to give up more than 10 points in a game.

You are making a vanilla H2H carry way more than weight than needed.....NE lost to the Jests at NY, and it was a pretty close game.....it was only the second game of the season where our franchise QB hadn't had time to acclimate with his receivers yet (since he has not played with them for a year).  As I do also recall, Welker did not play in that game.  We were also without one of our best LB's during that game.

So looking at the H2H is ignorant, try looking at the big picture.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

[QUOTE]Here is more - in both of your examples you provide pictures of teams that had played nearly a full season.  Thus, there was much more information available to justify a ranking placement that on its face seemed unusual.  This year we are only 4 games into the season and the only team the jets have lost to is what appears to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the NFL right now.  And that loss was on the road.   In this very young season, however, the Jets beat the pats with a rookie QB, no great receivers, a new head coach, and major adjustments to the defense.  This was the perfect laboratory for the old belichick to unleash his wicked spells, but to no avail.    Early in the season, head to head carries much more weight than as the season goes on and 2 games removed from the pats loss to the jets is not enough to suggest that the pats now are somehow better.  But unless the jets fall off the face of the earth, the pats will get the chance to prove themselves in the razor against the jets.

Not a bad argument but the reason the Pats lost to the Jets is it was away, it was early in the comeback season of Brady, and he was not sharp and neither was his WR corps. Having said that the Jets are the only true threat to the Patriots this season in the AFC East. I expect them to win at home against the Jets and end up with at least a 2 game advantage, with Jets making the wild card. Patriots should have one of the Bye's. Yes it is early but I am not out very far on the limb to say that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings? : But in the last 2 weeks the Pats have beat 2 teams that many were saying was tops in the NFL.  The Jets have beaten up on 2 pretty bad teams in Houston and Tenn.... New orleans has beaten A 1-3 Buffalo team, a McCabb less Philly team, and the worst team in the NFL (Lions) before beating NYJ...and now the Saints are dubbed one of the best teams in the NFL?  LOL!  Hey, while we are at it, lets call Denver one of the best teams in the NFL....they beat Cincy, Cleveland, Oakland and Dallas....and have yet to give up more than 10 points in a game. You are making a vanilla H2H carry way more than weight than needed.....NE lost to the Jests at NY, and it was a pretty close game.....it was only the second game of the season where our franchise QB hadn't had time to acclimate with his receivers yet (since he has not played with them for a year).  As I do also recall, Welker did not play in that game.  We were also without one of our best LB's during that game. So looking at the H2H is ignorant, try looking at the big picture.....
    M1020 - thanks for keeping it straight. 

So the pats beat:

1.  Atlanta who many expected to have NO defense.  Good, yes.  Best in their division, no.  Playoff caliber - possibly. 
    2.  Baltimore - very good BUT - since we are discussing schedules - The ravens were tied in the 4th Q at home vs. the currently 0-4 Chiefs.  It took a failed final play blocking scheme by the slumping chargers to win that game.  Then they finally dismantled the currently 0-4 Browns before losing to the Pats.  Is this really an example of a top tier team? 

As for the Jets - lets not forget that they actually did beat the pats. Houston is 2-2.  And next week your pats get to find out how really bad the titans are.  Remember, the titans lost their first 3 games @pitt, hou, @NYJ by a total of 13 points.  This team while not possessing a win, has not been blown out. 

New Orleans - first, the Lions are not the worst team in the NFL.  They've won a game.  Second, even if I grant you that the saints have had a fortunate schedule, they done nothing but beat these teams handily.  Its one thing to claim a weak schedule, but if the team goes out and tears it up against these weaker teams (as they should) then they've done what they should.  Baltimore didn't tear it up against a crappy Chiefs team. 

As for making excuses for Brady - you are not allowed.  I was one of the very very few that said in the offseason that Brady would struggle out of the gate.  Everyone else was saying no way.  Talking superbowl.  wondering about perfect records.  In February, Brady was throwing without problems and everyone was saying he would be 100%.  Then the season started.  Besides, he had all offseason to throw to his receivers.  You don't get that point.   

And injuries don't matter.  Everyone has them.  Again, NY is playing with a rookie QB and a 1st year head coach.

And as far as head to head being vanilla.  If it is no more meaningful than any other game, then why is it the 1st tiebreaker in playoff selection scenarios?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Not sure how you can justify placing Patriot ahead of NY Jets - at this early junction - considering the Jets beat the Patriots. Patriots a tad high, mebbe at 6 or 7 on my chart until their record improve...and others come down...lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MYNJJets. Show MYNJJets's posts

Response to Re: Where Do Pats Fall in Power Ratings?:
    [QUOTE]       TexasPat3 Posts: 1935 First: 12/29/2008 Last: 10/9/2009     After four games, heres' my Power Ratings: 1.) NY Giants:  The most balanced club in all phases at this point in the season; 2.) Indianapolis Colts:  It kills me to say this...but I've never seen Peyton Manning play as well as he has over the past three games. He has made rookie WRs like Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon look like Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. Their defense will get much better when Bob Sanders returns. 3.) New Orleans Saints:  Another team thats' shown great balance. Drew Brees could threaten Tom Brady's 50 TD passes record; 4.) New England Patriots:  Still a work in progress, but seemingly getting better with each game; 5.) Minnesota Vikings: If Brett Favre can continue playing anywhere near as well as he did Monday night, the Vikes will be a legitimate contender. DE Jared Allen is a monster; 6.) Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens now have an offense to go along with their feared defense...although their defense may be a tad overrated; 7.) Philadelphia Eagles: Injuries have prevented them from making their mark. But, when McNabb and Westbrook get healthy, watch out. WR DeSean Jackson is one of the 5 most explosive players in the game; 8.) Pittsburgh Steelers: Don't let that 2-2 mark fool you. They're still tough...and have perhaps the most underrated great QB in the game in Big Ben; 9.) NY Jets: The Jets can play with anybody. But, it remains to be seen if they have staying power; 10.) Denver Broncos: They're still unbeaten. We'll know how good they really are after Sunday's game.      11.) San Francisco 49ers: A dangerous team on the rise; Over all you have a good list but I think it should be Jets 8,  Pittsburgh 9, San Fran 10, and Denver 11, and honestly the only reason that Denver is even sniffing top 10 is their record but they don't deserve it in my opinion they should have no better then a 1-3 record when you look at how they won the games and the poor strength of the teams they played against.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAOOO @ PATS @ #4!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Looking over the Patriots' first game of the season, wow was that horrible.  How much does the first game count in everybody's power ratings, and how much is it discounted as a million weeks back? 

I've got the Patriots at about #20 in the NFL for that first Buffalo game, #10 in the NFL for the Jets away game, maybe #5 for winning the Atlanta game. and maybe #3 in the NFL for winning the Baltimore game.