Where do you stand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Re: Where do you stand?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My view has not changed.

Great HC + Great QB + mediocre team = 10% chance to win it all.

Now, if we had to go all year with these lame rookies BB has saddled us with, I might consider degrading the team around Brady below mediocre. But I think when Gronk and DA get back things will improve. Who knows, maybe the clueless GM will actually bring in a veteran to fill the void at WR.

Brady is great, but you have to give him SOMETHING to work with.

I'm with you 100%.  Actually, I think it's a shame that BB didn't follow your approach way back in 2001.  You know, instead of bringing in a "lame rookie" after Bledsoe got hurt, he could have gone out and brought in a veteran QB who could have helped to get us to more than five Super Bowls and won more than three.  I mean clearly, if history has taught us anything, it is that rookies, particularly late round picks, are all destined to fail and never improve.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've said since the summer (and others did too) that Edelman is going to have to hold this receiving core together because of the lack of experience. I honestly think this thing will take 8 weeks for the type of improvement needed to win serious games. I think the defense needs to hold it together until then...so far they have. It's going to get rocky, they are going to lose some games, there's going to be adversity...but look at the Ravens last year...they hit their stride at the right time. Potentially that could happen to us - having a guy like Amendola miss so much time may actually leave him healthy for the end of the season (then again Edelman will most likely be done by then).

I think we are going to have to live and die with these young guys, in the end it will make us a better offense. We still don't have Gronk back - if we ever are able to put him, Amendola, Vareen, Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson and Sudfeld out there at the same time...with experience, it may surprise a lot of people.

I still think they did a diservice to Tom and the fans by not spending to the cap and being more aggresive in free agency. I've got to think a young, talented defensive tackle to rotate in with Wilfork and Kelly would of made us better...13 million could of got us one (and then some). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good point cyncalpatfan.  People who deal in absolutes either prove to be geniuses or fools.  And people here usually only recount the time when they were geniuses.  By the logic of some posts here, we were doomed when Bledsoe went down and BB didn't have a real veteran plan B.  Same thing to a lesser extent when Brady went down and Cassel, the preseason flunky, had to take over.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I've said since the summer (and others did too) that Edelman is going to have to hold this receiving core together because of the lack of experience. I honestly think this thing will take 8 weeks for the type of improvement needed to win serious games. I think the defense needs to hold it together until then...so far they have. It's going to get rocky, they are going to lose some games, there's going to be adversity...but look at the Ravens last year...they hit their stride at the right time. Potentially that could happen to us - having a guy like Amendola miss so much time may actually leave him healthy for the end of the season (then again Edelman will most likely be done by then).

I think we are going to have to live and die with these young guys, in the end it will make us a better offense. We still don't have Gronk back - if we ever are able to put him, Amendola, Vareen, Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson and Sudfeld out there at the same time...with experience, it may surprise a lot of people.

I still think they did a diservice to Tom and the fans by not spending to the cap and being more aggresive in free agency. I've got to think a young, talented defensive tackle to rotate in with Wilfork and Kelly would of made us better...13 million could of got us one (and then some). 

Funny how a lot of the same people who said Edelman was garbage and who refused to acknowledge that he was skanebitten with injuries have nothing to say when he bailed the Pats out as option a, b and c during crunch time last night.  He still needs to prove he can be consistent, but he is far from the scrub lots said he was.  

Oh yeah, he's a terrible punt returner too...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Like to add I support my team like the other 7.5% of the posters here on BDC.  

proud member of the 7.5% club :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

[QUOTE]

Your post strongly implies that if a poster criticizes BB and/or the players, they are not supporting the team. Should these posters refrain from any type of criticism ?  I maintain that some of the best posters on this board ( ie. MTHURL, TP, T-CAL AND BABE ) are often critical of BB and select players for good reason. And my guess is they support the PATS at least as much as anyone else.  

[/QUOTE]

Speaking exclusively for myself there appear to be a number of posters on this board who express criticism of the coach/GM and/or the players but do so in an evenhanded way.  In that sense, I think a poster can be critical while remaining optimistic about the team's prospects.  On the other hand, there are those whose default position appears to be both critical and negative.  It should go without saying, again in my opinion, that there's room for posters in this forum from all points of view.  That said, it is the latter group who seem to go negative regardless the scenario that become tedious after awhile.

Just a few random thoughts apropos your point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Funny how a lot of the same people who said Edelman was garbage and who refused to acknowledge that he was skanebitten with injuries have nothing to say when he bailed the Pats out as option a, b and c during crunch time last night.  He still needs to prove he can be consistent, but he is far from the scrub lots said he was.  

He's improved a lot, there was a time a few years ago when he wasn't capable of catching a pass beyond ten yards...faught the ball, couldn't look it into his hands...he looks like a different guy right now. The only problem with him - as we all know - he gets injured.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Your post strongly implies that if a poster criticizes BB and/or the players, they are not supporting the team. Should these posters refrain from any type of criticism ?  I maintain that some of the best posters on this board ( ie. MTHURL, TP, T-CAL AND BABE ) are often critical of BB and select players for good reason. And my guess is they support the PATS at least as much as anyone else.  

Speaking exclusively for myself there appear to be a number of posters on this board who express criticism of the coach/GM and/or the players but do so in an evenhanded way.  In that sense, I think a poster can be critical while remaining optimistic about the team's prospects.  On the other hand, there are those whose default position appears to be both critical and negative.  It should go without saying, again in my opinion, that there's room for posters in this forum from all points of view.  That said, it is the latter group who seem to go negative regardless the scenario that become tedious after awhile.

Perfectly stated ATJ.  Always jaded, never glass half full.  Guy catches a TD he's a star.  Drops one and he's a bust.  I'd bet a fair number of the glass-half-empty crowd went from drafting Dobson's HOF acceptance speech to Fed-Ex-ing him a pink slip in the span of an hour.  All are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I guess I appreciate even-handed and optimistic.  Fair and balanced -- just like Fox news does it!?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123six. Show 123six's posts

I only support the Pats when they win...and I only criticize them when they win by less than 10 pts     :-0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Due to the fact I don't write very well I will try and keep this short.

Reading through the posts this morning in the various threads it seems on this board we have a some serious splits on the state of our team. Without creating a flame war just want to find out where people stand. It is an opinion board and i am curious what everyone forecasts for the rest of the year.

For me it is simple.

We have one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game and one of the greatest HC's to ever coach.

We have really good offensive talent that at the moment is not on the field (gronk, DA, Vereen) and some promising young rookies (Dobson, Thompkins) and a couple who we need to see (boyce,Sudfeld).

Based on what I have seen so far I am in the camp that this offense will be hitting stride somewhere aound mid-season.

The D is looking much improved thsi year especially the secondary. Last night 2 of the sacks could be considered coverage sacks and I haven't seen that for a while. Overall I think this could be a break out year for the D.

This team just needs to hold it together and be around .500 towards the middle of the year. I think after that when they start getting some bodies back and the rookies start becoming more comfortable we will be talking about a SB contender.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you ghost. Does the team have work to do yes. The run blocking has to be better, the wide outs have to do a better job catching the ball but these are all things that can be worked on an improved. I think this team will be a work in progress all season but long as you have a great QB & HC you'll always be in it. I remember a team that started out 1-3 and lost its starting QB and ended up winning the SB. Not saying this team will win the SB but it shows anything is possible in the NFL.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Let's not get carried away. He averaged 6 yards a catch with a long of 10 Thursday. LMAO

I guess some others didn't think JE was all that hot, since he didn't get any reported FA offers, and signed for peanuts.

But I recall few saying he wasn't worthy of being a backup. Many just were rolling their eyes when some said he was as good as Welker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

We are in that low a minority. LOL

Include me in the 7.5% of BDC.  Some of the 92.5% spend all day criticising BB's GM Skills and some of the 92.5% spend all day ctiticising Brady.   

I guess I'm just one of the Delusional Unrealistic Homers who sees the team and life through rose colored glasses.  Poor me.   LMAO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away. He averaged 6 yards a catch with a long of 10 Thursday. LMAO

I guess some others didn't think JE was all that hot, since he didn't get any reported FA offers, and signed for peanuts.

But I recall few saying he wasn't worthy of being a backup. Many just were rolling their eyes when some said he was as good as Welker.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  Having Edelman as your number #1 receiver sounds like a recipe for more of the same of the last 2 games.  He has never proved to be that kind of player, to make him one is unfair and not a good plan.  And that really is a testiment to the current terrible state of our receiving core with no way of knowing when DM or Gronk will actually come back or can stay healthy for the rest of the season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

I guess I'm just one of the Delusional Unrealistic Homers who sees the team and life through rose colored glasses.

Recognizing the problem is the first step in seeking a cure.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Agree.  Having Edelman as your number #1 receiver sounds like a recipe for more of the same of the last 2 games.  He has never proved to be that kind of player, to make him one is unfair and not a good plan.  And that really is a testiment to the current terrible state of our receiving core with no way of knowing when DM or Gronk will actually come back or can stay healthy for the rest of the season.

You're right, he is not a #1, or even a #2 for that matter, but he is part of a well-rounded WR corps (should it get healthy) and if he can prove that the injuries are past him.  He is a threat to break it for 50 on every punt too. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of the big problems around here is that even if you do like some guys, the homers so over-blow their worth, you end up arguing against the guy you would rather applaud.

Edelman is an awesome story. A college QB making an NFL team as a receiver, capably returning punts and even played some DB. Amazing. The guy is a phenomenal athlete. But then people start with the "he's as good as Welker" talk and you have to slap them down because it's absurd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

I was very frustrated watching the game last night, then i remembered sitting at the old foxboro stadium knowng they had no chance of beating good teams. I admit I like Dobson and boyce have since the draft and think they will both be solid players for the pats. The game was rough bu we won and our defense played better than i thought. 2-0 and loking good for tampa. Lets go Pats!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I'm just one of the Delusional Unrealistic Homers who sees the team and life through rose colored glasses.

Recognizing the problem is the first step in seeking a cure.

[/QUOTE]

You talking to me?  I'm probably older than you are but you are the one who acts a grumpy old man.  You need to lighten up and enjoy life.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the defense is good.

I think the QB is the best ever.

I think the head coach is great.

I think the receivers (WR and TE) are a total disaster.

I think the running backs are a mess as always.

I think the GM stinks.

John Wayne's not dead.  He's frozen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of the big problems around here is that even if you do like some guys, the homers so over-blow their worth, you end up arguing against the guy you would rather applaud.

Edelman is an awesome story. A college QB making an NFL team as a receiver, capably returning punts and even played some DB. Amazing. The guy is a phenomenal athlete. But then people start with the "he's as good as Welker" talk and you have to slap them down because it's absurd.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, the level of over-hyping that happens around here is ridiculous, but the amount of pessimism is unbearable too.  I bet a lot of guys are re-thinking their proclamation of Dobson as Moss redux at this point, but the objective fan can see that he has the talent if he can get his head on straight.  He's not Moss, he's not el busto yet either. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

See the part of my post I highlighted. He was a huge part of why the Pats won last night, 6 YPC not withstanding.  I never said he was WW, but I was one of the crew who said that, given WW's tenuous future with the team last year, I could understand why the Pats were trying to see what they had with Edelman at the expense of Wes early on.  Many were personally hurt because Wes had to share the ball with other options.   

If you want to call his being the only competent receiver we had that game being "huge", then in that context I can agree. It's just pitiful that simple competence is the benchmark for "huge" at this juncture. LMAO

Well, I too did not, and typically do not get all bent out of shape about these drama queen issues, like Welker not getting the ball enough early last season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Well said, but at the other end of the spectrum you have the posters who refuse to accept any kind of criticism and will go nuts if someone voices concerns. Those posters whine just as much as the negatives and make reading threads as difficult at times.

I can't stand it when someone acts like they're a more worthy fan; does it really matter? We're all Pats fans so let start acting like it! Respect others opinions and if you do happen to disagree (which is perfectly fine) then do so in a mature manner. That's all I ask.

I know we're all guilty of a slip up here and there but the same people are making it a very annoying habit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:

I was very frustrated watching the game last night, then i remembered sitting at the old foxboro stadium knowng they had no chance of beating good teams. I admit I like Dobson and boyce have since the draft and think they will both be solid players for the pats. The game was rough bu we won and our defense played better than i thought. 2-0 and loking good for tampa. Lets go Pats!!!!!

Let's hope for the best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

As for where I stand on the team right now, lets just say they have a long way to go. 

I'm glad to see the defense playing well to start the season. That game at the GA Dome in a couple weeks should be a good test for them.

Sections
Shortcuts