Where do you stand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Where do you stand?

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Perfectly stated ATJ.  Always jaded, never glass half full.  Guy catches a TD he's a star.  Drops one and he's a bust.  I'd bet a fair number of the glass-half-empty crowd went from drafting Dobson's HOF acceptance speech to Fed-Ex-ing him a pink slip in the span of an hour.  All are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I guess I appreciate even-handed and optimistic.  Fair and balanced -- just like Fox news does it!?

I'm sure in a past life you were that guy handing out British Flags in the Harbor area on 12/17/1773.  Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

I guess I'm just one of the Delusional Unrealistic Homers who sees the team and life through rose colored glasses.

Recognizing the problem is the first step in seeking a cure.

What a shame, I suppose that means there's no hope for you, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I have been one of the more posiitve posters here

Last nite was so difficult to watch. never thought they e would lonut tub....

That said

I believe it just may be the low point

I was thrilled to see guys get open down field but the drops or missed passes in bunches made me scratch my head. more concerning was the inability to run. 

I am in BBs camp, there were positives out there, especially on D. I thought Gregory had a great and I wasn't surprised by it. Am one of the few who thought he was decent. add the Dline getting Pressure and qb and the DBS have a chance to make plays -and they did. I also expect more from the Lbs, Rex said at half that the pressure was just from the front 4" nothing special -great to hear. We seem to have 3 good DEs. 

We have one more game against a weak sister,TB , which they know pretty well and who our rookies may feel good against. if they have one good game it might open the flood gates. Tampa is also going thru their own hell, with a lot less hope

We need to win that game Cause then it gets tougher.I am hopeful when we meet Atlanta they will be as beat up as we are. there WRs are now hurt - one will miss the game?

We are in trouble if the rooks don't start getting it. but I do remember. That TB was very positive about them in pre season and Troy had good things to say too. I cannot imagine what any rookie goes thru when getting the firsea game at full speed.

I will be rooting until the last snap But I won't be seeing this next game

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Ok, what's a "lonut tub"? 

Anyway, the rookies will be fine. They're open, they'll catch the ball when they relax a little. Everything is very fast and they're thinking too much, trying too hard. I'm sure most of you played some sport at some point and were nervous. It affects everything you do. Then you get past it and just play and you're good (or you suck, that happens too).

One problem might be there is no veteran mentor type on this team right now. Amendola and Edelman are not really all that experienced themselves. Nobody for them to emulate. They'll have to get there without that, might just be a little harder but they'll be good. You can see the talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Anyway, the rookies will be fine. They're open, they'll catch the ball when they relax a little. Everything is very fast and they're thinking too much, trying too hard. I'm sure most of you played some sport at some point and were nervous. It affects everything you do. Then you get past it and just play and you're good (or you suck, that happens too).

One problem might be there is no veteran mentor type on this team right now. Amendola and Edelman are not really all that experienced themselves. Nobody for them to emulate. They'll have to get there without that, might just be a little harder but they'll be good. You can see the talent.

Sounds right to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Muz,

That's a riot.  I read it a couple of times and laughed a bit but when I read your's, I cracked right now.

Lord knows what a lonut tub is.  Maybe a lonut tub is a football team with a superstar QB and a bunch of losers as receivers?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Muz,

That's a riot.  I read it a couple of times and laughed a bit but when I read your's, I cracked right now.

Lord knows what a lonut tub is.  Maybe a lonut tub is a football team with a superstar QB and a bunch of losers as receivers?

Well, usually you can figure what someone means when they fat finger a word or phrase, but that one's a head scratcher. I really can't even come up with a good guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Muz,

Well, usually you can figure what someone means when they fat finger a word or phrase, but that one's a head scratcher. I really can't even come up with a good guess.

Donut tube?  Probably not.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

^this.  Atlanta and Cincy back to back will be a good test. Not that far away...., and could be a rude awakening for some koolaid fans.

We've been hearing that for years. Will this be the year you are finally right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

A lonut tub is what you use to rest your nuts in after a game where your QB has many poor throws and then gets angry looking to deflect with some drops or miscommunication on route preferences in a monsoon.

There are two types of people in this world.

1.  Jets trolls who take shots at Tom Brady every chance they can.

2.  Patriots fans.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

Do you not take shots at BB every chance you can?

At least mine are legit based on the play in the game.    

Chiarelli botched two top 5 picks and the Iginla trade, by the way.   Enjoy!

Feel free to bring your hockey talk over the the B's side.  Oh man, wouldn't that be fun.  The last time you were there, the comedy never ended.  In fact, it never has.  Everyone is still making fun of you.  I agree, though.   I wouldn't go back there either.

I give Belichick tons of credit as the coach.  He's amazing.  I think he's an awful GM.  Don't agree?  Look at the offense this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Great HC + Great QB + mediocre team = 10% chance to win it all."

Now, if we had to go all year with these lame rookies BB has saddled us with, I might consider degrading the team around Brady below mediocre. But I think when Gronk and DA get back things will improve. Who knows, maybe the clueless GM will actually bring in a veteran to fill the void at WR. Brady is great, but you have to give him SOMETHING to work with."

This above analyis is from Babe, and I think it's pretty much spot on, though I would change the formula slightly and add + weak division + relatively weak conference + injured/young players with potential + 2-0 record = 15 percent chance to win it all. 

I also don't think Belichick is a clueless GM. He's at least a good one, I'd say very good except for I think he is sometimes too arrogant about his own blind spots (like his inability to draft top line wide receivers). 

That said, I do prefer having several rookie wideouts to signing so-so veterans with no upside like Ocho. 

I had to laugh at this response to Babe's post:

"I'm with you 100%.  Actually, I think it's a shame that BB didn't follow your approach way back in 2001.  You know, instead of bringing in a "lame rookie" after Bledsoe got hurt, he could have gone out and brought in a veteran QB who could have helped to get us to more than five Super Bowls and won more than three.  I mean clearly, if history has taught us anything, it is that rookies, particularly late round picks, are all destined to fail and never improve."

This is one of the dumber arguments I have seen in a long time. There is simply no comparison between activating your second string quarterback after an injury to your starter, and letting him keep the job after he plays well, versus our mess at wide receiver. I don't think anyone has an issue with the fact Belichick has a couple rookies vying for position at wide receiver. What is frustrating is the over-reliance on such when marquee wide receivers were available in the offseason.    Having said that, there is still a very good chance this receiving core will look much, much better second half of the season.    I'm going to keep my mind open to that possibility.       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Due to the fact I don't write very well I will try and keep this short.

Reading through the posts this morning in the various threads it seems on this board we have a some serious splits on the state of our team. Without creating a flame war just want to find out where people stand. It is an opinion board and i am curious what everyone forecasts for the rest of the year.

For me it is simple.

We have one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game and one of the greatest HC's to ever coach.

We have really good offensive talent that at the moment is not on the field (gronk, DA, Vereen) and some promising young rookies (Dobson, Thompkins) and a couple who we need to see (boyce,Sudfeld).

Based on what I have seen so far I am in the camp that this offense will be hitting stride somewhere aound mid-season.

The D is looking much improved thsi year especially the secondary. Last night 2 of the sacks could be considered coverage sacks and I haven't seen that for a while. Overall I think this could be a break out year for the D.

This team just needs to hold it together and be around .500 towards the middle of the year. I think after that when they start getting some bodies back and the rookies start becoming more comfortable we will be talking about a SB contender. 

[/QUOTE

I tend to agree. This team may not earn a playoff bye this season. But, they should beat out Miami, and win the AFC East. They're going have to thread water until they get healthy, and their young WRs get up to speed. Hopefully by December, this team will be relatively healthy, and playing their best football. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Due to the fact I don't write very well I will try and keep this short.

Reading through the posts this morning in the various threads it seems on this board we have a some serious splits on the state of our team. Without creating a flame war just want to find out where people stand. It is an opinion board and i am curious what everyone forecasts for the rest of the year.

For me it is simple.

We have one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game and one of the greatest HC's to ever coach.

We have really good offensive talent that at the moment is not on the field (gronk, DA, Vereen) and some promising young rookies (Dobson, Thompkins) and a couple who we need to see (boyce,Sudfeld).

Based on what I have seen so far I am in the camp that this offense will be hitting stride somewhere aound mid-season.

The D is looking much improved thsi year especially the secondary. Last night 2 of the sacks could be considered coverage sacks and I haven't seen that for a while. Overall I think this could be a break out year for the D.

This team just needs to hold it together and be around .500 towards the middle of the year. I think after that when they start getting some bodies back and the rookies start becoming more comfortable we will be talking about a SB contender.

Just my 2 cents.

Ghost I am with you 100%. Dont forget BB teams ALWAYS get better as the year goes on! Our 2nd half record over the last 10 years is the best in football. I think we will be OK, and I think its good to face adversity once in a while adn not coast thru the regular season. Stay well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Watch... this team will hit it's stride on the first game of the playoffs and ride the wave all the way to a SB victory, it will be the most amazing thing we have ever seen in football.

Pats should go 6-0 in the division, worst case is 5-1.  This team will fininsh 11-5, 10-6 at the worst.  Hopefully the team will have tyhings figured out by then and go on a big run.

Might need to bring in a vet WR in the meantime while we wait for DA to heal up.  Oh, figure out the RB merry-go-round.  And what are they doing with Boyce?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Sorry sometimes my ipad works ffunny never llolI never thought they would lose though

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

To Boston Troll

What FA WRs ? Besides WW?

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I assume some of you have real jobs. When your company brings a new person in, is that person up to speed on what is required and who to go to for help immediately? Or does it take a while for them to get to know the other people and how things work? Think back to Tom Bradys first year as a starting quarteback. Was Charlie Weiss calling a lot of plays where Brady was required to make sight adjustments to routes with the wide receivers based on some miniscule nuance the cornerback made prior to the snap? No... They simplified the offense (for him), throwing a LOT of screen passes to RBs and WRs (remember, it was called dink-and-dunk) because he did not have that level of knowledge or experience. After 13 years, he now has the comfort level to be able to anticipate what will happen based on what he sees. The Pats run the most complicated offense in the league. They have brought in MANY veterans over the years who couldn't figure it out. To expect guys who have had 6 weeks of training camp and 2 real games to be at the same level as the 13 year veteran QB is rediculous.  As I said in another post, Brady needs to adjust as well. Hold the ball for that extra half second, stand in the pocket while the receiver makes his adjustment to what he sees (not what Brady sees), and deliver the ball there, and not where Brady feels the route should go. Trust me people, the offense will be fine as bodies get healthy, players return, and they young guys learn. The team is 2-0 with 2 division wins, you can't be any better than that after 2 weeks. If Thursday was the low point, the team is in GREAT shape...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Great HC + Great QB + mediocre team = 10% chance to win it all."

Now, if we had to go all year with these lame rookies BB has saddled us with, I might consider degrading the team around Brady below mediocre. But I think when Gronk and DA get back things will improve. Who knows, maybe the clueless GM will actually bring in a veteran to fill the void at WR. Brady is great, but you have to give him SOMETHING to work with."

This above analyis is from Babe, and I think it's pretty much spot on, though I would change the formula slightly and add + weak division + relatively weak conference + injured/young players with potential + 2-0 record = 15 percent chance to win it all. 

I also don't think Belichick is a clueless GM. He's at least a good one, I'd say very good except for I think he is sometimes too arrogant about his own blind spots (like his inability to draft top line wide receivers). 

That said, I do prefer having several rookie wideouts to signing so-so veterans with no upside like Ocho. 

I had to laugh at this response to Babe's post:

"I'm with you 100%.  Actually, I think it's a shame that BB didn't follow your approach way back in 2001.  You know, instead of bringing in a "lame rookie" after Bledsoe got hurt, he could have gone out and brought in a veteran QB who could have helped to get us to more than five Super Bowls and won more than three.  I mean clearly, if history has taught us anything, it is that rookies, particularly late round picks, are all destined to fail and never improve."

This is one of the dumber arguments I have seen in a long time. There is simply no comparison between activating your second string quarterback after an injury to your starter, and letting him keep the job after he plays well, versus our mess at wide receiver. I don't think anyone has an issue with the fact Belichick has a couple rookies vying for position at wide receiver. What is frustrating is the over-reliance on such when marquee wide receivers were available in the offseason.    Having said that, there is still a very good chance this receiving core will look much, much better second half of the season.    I'm going to keep my mind open to that possibility.       

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how the two scenarios don't compare.  When you have a backup QB, the understanding is that this is the person that the team is ready to rely on, should the starter go down.  If it's a rookie QB, one needs to be ready to deal with a period of adjustment until that player gains some experience and gets up to speed.  It happened when TB got the call, as well  as MC.  Please don't tell me that there weren't all sorts of suggestions being made that BB should go out and find a seasoned veteran to step in.  It happened in both scenarios.  Now, here we are dealing with a very similar situation, but instead of our veteran QB being taken out, it's our wide receivers.  Just like the QB situation, there are many people who question the quality of these replacements (you are apparently one of them).  The fact is, these new players will need a period of time to adjust, just like a backup QB who steps in to replace the starter.  The comparison is all about the time that is necessary to allow the new players an opportunity to adjust.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think anyone has an issue with the fact Belichick has a couple rookies vying for position at wide receiver. What is frustrating is the over-reliance on such when marquee wide receivers were available in the offseason.  

Rookie receivers need reps, sure.  Not this many! 

The GM knew:

1.  TE #1 would be out.

2.  TE #2 wasn't coming back.

3.  WR1 wasn't coming back.

4.  WR2 wasn't coming back.

What does he do to remedy this?  Signs a guy known to be an injury risk (AND HE'S ALREADY HURT) and a bunch of nobodies who weren't even good enough to be drafted. 

My guess is he believed that his system and his coaching were so good that he could turn dung into gold.  Yeah, the team is 2-0 after being two very, very poor teams in squeakers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I don't think anyone has an issue with the fact Belichick has a couple rookies vying for position at wide receiver. What is frustrating is the over-reliance on such when marquee wide receivers were available in the offseason.  

The GM knew:

1.  TE #1 would be out.

What does he do to remedy this?  Signs a guy known to be an injury risk (AND HE'S ALREADY HURT) and a bunch of nobodies who weren't even good enough to be drafted. 

My guess is he believed that his system and his coaching were so good that he could turn dung into gold.  Yeah, the team is 2-0 after being two very, very poor teams in squeakers.

So far, so good.  Onto the next step.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The GM knew:

1.  TE #1 would be out.

Revise history much???

When the off season and free agency began, they did not know that Gronk was going to have an infection that would prevent him from having his (minor) back surgery until mid to late June. If that procedure had been done in April, he most likely would be playing already. All reports have him coming back in the next week or two.

When the off season and free agency began, they did not know that Hernandez was going to get into the trouble he is in now. This was in no way a predictable thing they could have anticipated. They signed him to a contract extension believing he would be a major player this year and for the next several. By the time this happened, there weren't many viable free agents left out there, WRs or TEs.

When the off season and free agency began, they made a decision to move on from Welker and thought Amendola could be a replacement. In the one game he played, it looks like that was not too far off. Big question about whether can Amendola stay on the field.

When the off season and free agency began, they dumped Lloyd. For whatever reason, they decided he wasn't worth the trouble.

Vareen was also slated to be a big part of the offense. He will be back.

If Gronk, the jailbird and Amedola are in there, then only one rookie, or maybe Edelmann who has been outstanding, is at the other WR, and those games aren't close.

If Brady and Ridley don't fumble against Buffalo (nothing to do with the lack of WR experience), that game isn't close.

If Thompkins had been able to control that catch in the endzone Thursday night (not a great throw), that game was over by halftime.

They have won two division games playing shorthanded, with some young guys getting some valuable experience. 

Sections
Shortcuts