Where do you stand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Where do you stand?

Due to the fact I don't write very well I will try and keep this short.

Reading through the posts this morning in the various threads it seems on this board we have a some serious splits on the state of our team. Without creating a flame war just want to find out where people stand. It is an opinion board and i am curious what everyone forecasts for the rest of the year.

For me it is simple.

We have one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game and one of the greatest HC's to ever coach.

We have really good offensive talent that at the moment is not on the field (gronk, DA, Vereen) and some promising young rookies (Dobson, Thompkins) and a couple who we need to see (boyce,Sudfeld).

Based on what I have seen so far I am in the camp that this offense will be hitting stride somewhere aound mid-season.

The D is looking much improved thsi year especially the secondary. Last night 2 of the sacks could be considered coverage sacks and I haven't seen that for a while. Overall I think this could be a break out year for the D.

This team just needs to hold it together and be around .500 towards the middle of the year. I think after that when they start getting some bodies back and the rookies start becoming more comfortable we will be talking about a SB contender.

Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Re: Where do you stand?

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Reading through the posts this morning in the various threads it seems on this board we have a some serious splits on the state of our team. Without creating a flame war just want to find out where people stand. It is an opinion board and i am curious what everyone forecasts for the rest of the year.

For me it is simple.

We have one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game and one of the greatest HC's to ever coach.

We have really good offensive talent that at the moment is not on the field (gronk, DA, Vereen) and some promising young rookies (Dobson, Thompkins) and a couple who we need to see (boyce,Sudfeld).

Based on what I have seen so far I am in the camp that this offense will be hitting stride somewhere aound mid-season.

The D is looking much improved thsi year especially the secondary. Last night 2 of the sacks could be considered coverage sacks and I haven't seen that for a while. Overall I think this could be a break out year for the D.

This team just needs to hold it together and be around .500 towards the middle of the year. I think after that when they start getting some bodies back and the rookies start becoming more comfortable we will be talking about a SB contender.

Just my 2 cents.

I support this viewpoint. I believe (and hope) that this team will get stronger as the year goes on. Defense and Brady are carrying this team right now and it's good enough for a 2-0 start. For a team that lost 87% of its passing offense (in terms of yards), and has key offensive players that are hurting, 2-0 is a remarkable place to be. I don't think this is arguable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

[QUOTE]

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

I support this viewpoint. I believe (and hope) that this team will get stronger as the year goes on. Defense and Brady are carrying this team right now and it's good enough for a 2-0 start. For a team that lost 87% of its passing offense (in terms of yards), and has key offensive players that are hurting, 2-0 is a remarkable place to be. I don't think this is arguable.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah what he said^ I liked how Dobson kept getting open, he just needs to catch the ball! They both need to get on the same page with Brady too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

As I said in another thread,

All I know is our defense is playing solid with simple scheming.  If they spice it up a bit i think they can be even better.  

The WR's are lost, yet they are still getting seperation.  This group will become explosive in time.  Dobson, Thompkins and Edelman all got deep for catchable balls.  Thompkins made a great play which was reviewed... Dobson just missed and TB over threw Edelman.  Wither those catches are made the game is not close. 

The pats are still 2-0 in the division, and now have 10 days to get the WR's on the same page as TB.  

They should be favorites with Tampa Bay coming to town, but I understand they have a great run D. Hopefully the WR's take at least a small step forward just before Pats head out to Atlanta.  That will be a measuring stick game IMO. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Like to add I support my team like the other 7.5% of the posters here on BDC.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

We are in that low a minority. LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123six. Show 123six's posts

Offense will come around...good line, deep at RB, great QB!  Defense looks much better but I will hold judgment on the defense until we play a real offense (Atlanta).  If they were in another division, I might be a little worried.  No worries!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

You do write well.  If the Pats get past the injuries and everyone can stay healthy they will be a lot different team.

I expect they make the playoffs and anything can happen then.  The Pats will almost certainly improve by the end of the year and some other playoff teams will not.

I have just convinced myself.  We're gonna will it all !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I am very optimistic - not because of how they played last night but the opportunities for becoming a really good team.

Over the past few years, my biggest complaint about the O was its predictability. It's the biggest difference between the recent version of the Pats and the SB-winning one. Ds back then really ahd no defense for the Pats in the playoffs because they did not know who to defend. The team was so well run. They did not have a lot of talent, so they brought the "untalented nobodies" to speed. Each was able to contribute positively. 

I believe the 2001 team would not have won the SB with Bledsoe leading. Bledsoe had binkies. That made the team easy to defend. Speculation on my part but everyone including Bledsoe would have dismissed their chances of winning it all when BB put Glenn in the doghouse. People would have said they did not have enough talent to win. 

Actually people were saying exactly that, the whole year of 2001. The Pats were the Cinderella that did not belong because of that. In fact people were still saying they did not have enough talent, all the way through 2003, until mid-season when it was clear, they were a juggernaut. In 

In 2001, even the players themselves had doubts about how good they really were. Confidence was that high. Does anyone remember the story about BB gettign the entire team watch a movie that helped him convicne everyone that if they worked as a team, they could achieve a lot? I also think confidence turned up after the first STL game - when Martz said that they were a SB caliber team. That was the external valdiation that made things clicked in the minds of the Pats players.

Back to this team... This team has an opportunity to be as unpredictable in the playoffs. However, it will require a lot of work - getting the rookies ready to contribute even at very key moments in important games. The 2-0 record, particularly 2-0 in the div, plus 10 days to prepare for their next game gives them a bit of elbow room to progress on this path - to mind the details. Winning the next game is not as urgent. 

The OLine needs to get better at run-blocking. They have good RBs. They need to give those guys a chance to get away.

The rookie receivers and TEs need to get more reliable catching the ball. TB needs to keep throwing. So long as they are not giving up turnovers doing it, things will work out.

They need help in DT. I don't know where they will get it, but they need it. The D is not as robust as it has seemed over the past two games. 

Those fixed, they will not need DA, Gronk and/or Vereen to beat everyone other than Atlanta, Denver New Orleans and Houston. Those fixed + DA, Gronk and Vereen back, they will beat anyone (Vereen will not be back for NOS and Atlanta)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

On 2 feet..........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you.  While I found plenty to be frustrated with, watching last night's game, I also saw flashes of potential.  It kind of makes me think of an engine that's just a little out of tune...lots of sputtering, wheezing, and stalling before it finally roars to life.  I think it's going to happen.  With 10 days to prepare for the next game, I believe that will give them the time necessary to address some of the issues that have arisen in the first two games.  I'm not saying that it will all suddenly come together against Tampa, but I do believe we will see improvement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

As I said in another thread,

All I know is our defense is playing solid with simple scheming.  If they spice it up a bit i think they can be even better.  

The WR's are lost, yet they are still getting seperation.  This group will become explosive in time.  Dobson, Thompkins and Edelman all got deep for catchable balls.  Thompkins made a great play which was reviewed... Dobson just missed and TB over threw Edelman.  Wither those catches are made the game is not close. 

The pats are still 2-0 in the division, and now have 10 days to get the WR's on the same page as TB.  

They should be favorites with Tampa Bay coming to town, but I understand they have a great run D. Hopefully the WR's take at least a small step forward just before Pats head out to Atlanta.  That will be a measuring stick game IMO. 

^this.  Atlanta and Cincy back to back will be a good test. Not that far away...., and could be a rude awakening for some koolaid fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, everyone in here supports the team (except for several known visiting regulars). People support the team in different ways, plus, just because people have negative viewpoints doesn't mean they don't support the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree (and don't sell yourself short on your writing ability; you're a very good poster, one of the guys I always read).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My view has not changed.

Great HC + Great QB + mediocre team = 10% chance to win it all.

Now, if we had to go all year with these lame rookies BB has saddled us with, I might consider degrading the team around Brady below mediocre. But I think when Gronk and DA get back things will improve. Who knows, maybe the clueless GM will actually bring in a veteran to fill the void at WR.

Brady is great, but you have to give him SOMETHING to work with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree (and don't sell yourself short on your writing ability; you're a very good poster, one of the guys I always read).

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pro, grammar and spelling have never been one of my strong suits.

On another note I thought up until last night the Troy Brown halftime ceremoney was the loudest  but I thought last night the crowd  was really electric for Bruschi. Hope you didn't get soaked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My view has not changed.

Now, if we had to go all year with these lame rookies BB has saddled us with, I might consider degrading the team around Brady below mediocre. But I think when Gronk and DA get back things will improve. Who knows, maybe the clueless GM will actually bring in a veteran to fill the void at WR.

You could be 100% correct on the rookies. Only the play over the coming weks will determine where they stand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

My view has not changed.

You could be 100% correct on the rookies. Only the play over the coming weks will determine where they stand.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not drawing a conclusion. But I'm leaning STRONGLY in the direction of "too dumb to succeed".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My view has not changed.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not drawing a conclusion. But I'm leaning STRONGLY in the direction of "too dumb to succeed".

[/QUOTE]

We shall see.

This is a serious question what do you need to see over the course of the year to determine whether the rookies are not busts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Their all-world TE is hurt, their other standout TE is b anged up in prison, there are 3 rookie WRs that need some time, Amendola and Vereen are nicked up.  I'm gonna give this some time before proclaiming that the sky is falling.  I do agree that BB probably should have had some contingency plan in the WR dept with another vet body though. 

The good news is that they are 2-0 and the D has shown flashes.  The big question mark is how much the youth movement takes to come along.  I'm guessing it gets better on O. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We shall see.

This is a serious question what do you need to see over the course of the year to determine whether the rookies are not busts?

If they get on the field a lot after the real receivers are back then they may not be busts. But in general, in a nutshell, if they are catching around 70% of their targets.

If they aren't catching a good % of their targets, then they are either dropping it or running stupid routes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents. 

You express yourself with clarity, precision and with due regard for the opinions of others which is more than can be said for many who  post in this forum.

I am apparently among the optimistic few who believe that not only does this team have the potential to improve offensively but also will do so markedly.  I too believe that by mid-season the offense will be much more effective and that the D will continue to be effective.

Yes, sir; count me in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

For me it is simple.

Just my 2 cents.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pro, grammar and spelling have never been one of my strong suits.

On another note I thought up until last night the Troy Brown halftime ceremoney was the loudest  but I thought last night the crowd  was really electric for Bruschi. Hope you didn't get soaked.

[/QUOTE]

Totally soaked, but who cares--no place I would have rather been (well, almost--I can think of certain boudoirs :-).  Was a good ceremony--made more enjoyable by my own brewski . ..  tried the Newport Storm (appropriate for the weather).  Nice beer from your state (and one of my past state's too).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Your post strongly implies that if a poster criticizes BB and/or the players, they are not supporting the team. Should these posters refrain from any type of criticism ?  I maintain that some of the best posters on this board ( ie. MTHURL, TP, T-CAL AND BABE ) are often critical of BB and select players for good reason. And my guess is they support the PATS at least as much as anyone else.  

Sections
Shortcuts