Where Is The Hunger/Intensity?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: Where Is The Hunger/Intensity?

In response to anonymis' comment:

The Bruins were all over the Blackhawks last night. You could see the hunger in their play, little "talk" about it.......unlike the Patriots.

Some nice pics of last nights game. Chara, you animal.....lol.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130617/sports/706109616/photos/

Hockey is an entirely different pro sport than football, basketball and baseball. In some ways it's good that it ranks lower than the other national sports. It hasn't been over poluted with broadcast money and fawning over stars by sports networks ( ESPN).

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I think there is plenty of intensity. Mostly from Brady. The guy looks dialed in, as do a number of other players. They always come out playing fast on both sides.  

Though I DO think the NE defense is soft. Everyone in the league knows it too. You can bully them, score on them, run the ball at them. 

Not one of them is "feared" outside of the nose tackle.

I think the big moment last post-season was the Ridley fumble ...

Not so much in that Ridley fumbled it,  but that it showed what real defenses do.

NE came out ... ran the ball what 28 times right at the Ravens in the first three quarters ... tried to play power football, and in a close game ... the Ravens smacked them in the mouth. 

NE's defense at that point was doing what it normally does ... folding up like a lawn chair and allowing (yet) another 28 points in a  post-season game. 

In order to play tough defensive hockey, you need a tough defensive line; in order to play tough running football, you need a tough defense that can create turnovers and stop the opponents from winning the battle of field positions/TOP.

You have a close, one score game ... two teams are battling it out on the ground. 

It was won by the defense that made the play for their offense. 

Everything that happens after that was a fait accompli. 

If NE had put a helmet on Rice or Flacco and they coughed up the ball on the 15 at that juncture it would have been a totally different game ... AND Flacco would have been throwing 15-20 times for his life with 5 minutes to go and probably would have thrown a pick to ice it.

This is how you can tell the new fans from the fans who have been here: they watched NE win this way with defense like that. It didn't matter what the game plan was ... they had the same overall strategy: keep it close. If you need one score Brady will get it ... if you need a stop/turnover the defense will get it. 

But NE hasn't had that kind of defense in 7 years at least.

I'm not convinced that Brady shows hunger/intensity anymore. Maybe at one time.  Now I see him as an accomplished QB who behaves like a prima donna, whining player.  There are only a couple of players on D who play with intensity and hunger - one of who is Spikes. He's a playmaker, but is not the greatest coverage guy and sometimes chooses the wrong hole to stuff.

I also disagree that a good running game is dependent on a defense that can create turnovers.  IMO, a good running game is more dependent on having quality blocking in front of them. The last time it seemed that the Patriots could run "at will" was when they had Crumpler and Gronk blocking up front. Once Crumpler was gone - it left Gronk; which was bad for the offense because if he's blocking, he can't be a receiving threat at the same time.

I would agree that our defense has been very soft for more than 5-6 years.

I would heartily disagree with those who think the two most recent SB losses are soley Brady's fault. I've said it numerous times.  In the two SB losses - the Giants were a great matchup against the Patriots.  They made just enough plays offensively and defensively. The Patriots were outcoached and outplayed in all three phases of the game (which includes Brady's poor showing)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Hockey is an entirely different pro sport than football, basketball and baseball. In some ways it's good that it ranks lower than the other national sports. It hasn't been over poluted with broadcast money and fawning over stars by sports networks ( ESPN).

true, but the bruins are where they are because of the qualities previously mentioned. The team makeup matches very well against teams like the Blackhawks and Penguins. Sound familiar? :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

I think there is plenty of intensity. Mostly from Brady. The guy looks dialed in, as do a number of other players. They always come out playing fast on both sides.  

Though I DO think the NE defense is soft. Everyone in the league knows it too. You can bully them, score on them, run the ball at them. 

Not one of them is "feared" outside of the nose tackle.

I think the big moment last post-season was the Ridley fumble ...

Not so much in that Ridley fumbled it,  but that it showed what real defenses do.

NE came out ... ran the ball what 28 times right at the Ravens in the first three quarters ... tried to play power football, and in a close game ... the Ravens smacked them in the mouth. 

NE's defense at that point was doing what it normally does ... folding up like a lawn chair and allowing (yet) another 28 points in a  post-season game. 

In order to play tough defensive hockey, you need a tough defensive line; in order to play tough running football, you need a tough defense that can create turnovers and stop the opponents from winning the battle of field positions/TOP.

You have a close, one score game ... two teams are battling it out on the ground. 

It was won by the defense that made the play for their offense. 

Everything that happens after that was a fait accompli. 

If NE had put a helmet on Rice or Flacco and they coughed up the ball on the 15 at that juncture it would have been a totally different game ... AND Flacco would have been throwing 15-20 times for his life with 5 minutes to go and probably would have thrown a pick to ice it.

This is how you can tell the new fans from the fans who have been here: they watched NE win this way with defense like that. It didn't matter what the game plan was ... they had the same overall strategy: keep it close. If you need one score Brady will get it ... if you need a stop/turnover the defense will get it. 

But NE hasn't had that kind of defense in 7 years at least.

I'm not convinced that Brady shows hunger/intensity anymore. Maybe at one time.  Now I see him as an accomplished QB who behaves like a prima donna, whining player.  There are only a couple of players on D who play with intensity and hunger - one of who is Spikes. He's a playmaker, but is not the greatest coverage guy and sometimes chooses the wrong hole to stuff.

I also disagree that a good running game is dependent on a defense that can create turnovers.  IMO, a good running game is more dependent on having quality blocking in front of them. The last time it seemed that the Patriots could run "at will" was when they had Crumpler and Gronk blocking up front. Once Crumpler was gone - it left Gronk; which was bad for the offense because if he's blocking, he can't be a receiving threat at the same time.

I would agree that our defense has been very soft for more than 5-6 years.

I would heartily disagree with those who think the two most recent SB losses are soley Brady's fault. I've said it numerous times.  In the two SB losses - the Giants were a great matchup against the Patriots.  They made just enough plays offensively and defensively. The Patriots were outcoached and outplayed in all three phases of the game (which includes Brady's poor showing)

[/QUOTE]

I see Brady more fired up before playoff games than just about anyone. I really don't know about Spikes .... not in his play for sure, but really not in pregame. 

I thnk you misread something I wrote though:

good defense doesn't = power running. 

It compliments it. You don't score tons of points with a power running attack. You control the ball and hopefully the field position battle in a conservative grinding manner. 

What I am saying is that if that is how you want to play ... you need a defense that creates short fields for you and keeps the other guy off the field. 

This is less important if you think you can pass the ball and score boatloads of points. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In respon

I see Brady more fired up before playoff games than just about anyone. I really don't know about Spikes .... not in his play for sure, but really not in pregame. 

I thnk you misread something I wrote though:

good defense doesn't = power running. 

It compliments it. You don't score tons of points with a power running attack. You control the ball and hopefully the field position battle in a conservative grinding manner. 

What I am saying is that if that is how you want to play ... you need a defense that creates short fields for you and keeps the other guy off the field. 

This is less important if you think you can pass the ball and score boatloads of points. 

sorry about that ZB. My bad.

BTW, I'm not promoting a run first philosophy - but a complementary one to the passing game.  Gotta be able to run the ball well to sell other things like play action. Screens only work if defenses are overly aggressive in attacking the offense.

I would agree that the defense needs to get back into top 5 in points against - I know where u stand w/ other aspects of the d

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

Our defense creates short fields with an average of 2 turnovers per game and many holds on the opponent's side of the field. Many, many, many times during games.

But allowed game winning drives of 82 and 88 yards in the last two Super Bowls.  Two of the biggest games and when it mattered most.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Our defense creates short fields with an average of 2 turnovers per game and many holds on the opponent's side of the field. Many, many, many times during games.

But allowed game winning drives of 82 and 88 yards in the last two Super Bowls.  Two of the biggest games and when it mattered most.

In domes at the end of games. Baltimore had to tackle a receiver or hope your QB choked, which he did, to not also do the same.

I'd much rather allow 10 or 13 points as a D waiting for the leading offense in the NFL to ice a game than not.

Choke city via Brady's preferred shotgun spread and 45 passes. Reminds me of early era Bledsoe when they had no running backs in here and he was forced to throw. Sadly, Brady CHOOSES to throw.

[/QUOTE]

The DEFENSE ALLOWED GAME WINNING DRIVES of 82 and 88 yards in the last two Super Bowls.  Two of the biggest games and when it mattered most.  Oh, and both drives took less then 3 minutes each. 

Choke! and Choke! 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

In domes at the end of games. Baltimore had to tackle a receiver or hope your QB choked, which he did, to not also do the same.

I'd much rather allow 10 or 13 points as a D waiting for the leading offense in the NFL to ice a game than not.

Choke city via Brady's preferred shotgun spread and 45 passes. Reminds me of early era Bledsoe when they had no running backs in here and he was forced to throw. Sadly, Brady CHOOSES to throw.

[/QUOTE]

Bwahahahahahahaha!!  You are a joke!  That has to be the funniest come back ever!  Learn the game, dude!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

I don't know that we should be surprised that the Pats seem to have adopted a certain sense of entitlement. It's very difficult to stay at or near the top as New England has the way the NFL is structured; and I would assume (not being a professional athlete) that it's almost impossible to maintain the type of intensity it takes to overcome everything the NFL throws at you over the course of a season. I mean, we all see the Pats dominate lesser opposition on a regular basis and struggle against anyone remotely competitive, although we don't always draw the same conclusions from what we see. I deem it perfectly reasonable to conjecture that "hunger" just might be the reason. As to how guys who are rarely challenged and don't seem to mind falling flat on their faces when they are re-learn motivation . . .

I dunno.

Maybe the hobo is right about Tebow and a little "come to Jesus" might be just what the Pats need.

Or maybe not.

In any case, it's probably also worth mentioning that there wasn't really an NHL season this year and there's no particular reason those guys shouldn't have plenty left in the tank . . .

That . . .  and I just think hockey players revere the Stanley Cup way more than football players do the Lombardi or cagers and ballplayers whatever trophies they win.

Hockey is just different.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

Hey, PMike. Good to see ur still around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

some folks are clearly delusional and think our current defense is all that.  Not even close.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

lmao...banned yet again. He's gotta own the boston globe record hands down. No close second.....lol

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

Yes, but can you say why I was banned?

Because it's you!?!?!?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Yes, but can you say why I was banned? Nope. You can't.  Phat Rex called me an idiot 3 posts up and still freely uses 3 board names here right now, with protection from the mods.

Can you explain that one, Anonoymis?   I am almost proud to show their hypocrisy at this point. I love showing up hypocrites. It's fun.  The last thing on earth I'd want to be is a phony like you and others here.

talk about hypocrisy - too funny. U can't make this stuff up.

Not once have u held yourself accountable for any wrongdoings or ur behavior.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Umm, what behavior?  You enabling a Phat Rex by following me around because you have a Brady doll to the left of your computer doesn't count.

Seriously. Articulate the "behavior". Babe calls me dumbkoff, Phat Rex calls me idiot, Hurlie calls me dumb and others jump in with a myriad of another names and you and others' claim is I am banned for "namecalling"?

Hmm.

Is that really the case? Or, is it a slew of people literally reporting me constantly for no violations because I've caught them in their act?

Dude. Grow up. You know exactly what many posters think of you and your behavior. The mere fact that you have to ask demonstrate that ur in denial.

You're a recidivist, and u can't control urself. Only u know the demons within. 

A gentleman's bet - I bet you can't last an entire month of just talking football without using personal insults/attacks/and namecalling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Even tho the Bruins lost game 4, I was still impressed that they never gave up. Obviously, give credit to the Blackhaws as they took the Bruins out of their defensive minded game and opened things up for a shoot-out that didn't favor the Bruins style of play.