Where is the Room for all these draft pics?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: Where is the Room for all these draft pics?

Running back and DB are rather obvious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

I think there is room for improvement and depth at OL and DL, as well as OLB.  Great CBs are always welcome also - we do have Bodden next season however and he's pretty good (our best CB).  I hope the Pats draft a top Tackle for the OL and then get some more big bodies for the pass rush.  If they fill those needs with trades - that's fine with me.  I've heard that next years free agent class is supposed to good also.  Future looks very bright with the kids now and the draft picks they have for the future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

LT, center, DT, RB, and another WR to groom

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

we'll probably only draft 7 or 8 guys judging from BB's propensity to trade on draft day. Out of a 53 man Roster we could probably replace one guy from every position right now except QB. Plenty of space.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the Room for all these draft pics?:
    Always fun to predict B.B.'s draft decisions....Its like trying to win the mass lottery.  I just dont see him A.) using both 1's this year, or B.)  Using them to trade up for a top 5 player.  Most likely will be moved until 2012.  But isnt the world gonna end in 2012?  Dont we have to use them all this year?  What happens if there is no football for a year...Do you draft next year with twice the amount of pics, or do we still have a draft?  Wow, I'm like a curious 5 year old today....lol Best case scenario for us to move up, is if there is an absolute STUD OLB/DE that requires a top 5 pick and he is the peice that gets us over the hump in regards to pass rush.  I think you draft a back no higher than the 3rd and go after a M.Bush type in free agency....I would also like to see us get a free agent WR.  Remember we still have Price, a 3rd rounder who probably wont play this year. So unless a Calvin Johnson is available, I think you draft a WR late.
    Posted by patsfan76

Like Most Pats fans I already have one eye on the draft. It's like the superbowl in April. I'm still rooting against the Raiders but that AFC West sukkks pretty bad this year so they could be looking at 7 or 8 wins when all is said and done.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Draft the best available players and if they are good enough to beat out a starter than so be it.  Than let BB pick the most talented players for the 53-man squad.  A team can never have too much talent.  Every job is open to competition, and a talented draft pick will, at the very least, push the veteran to get better or lose his job.  And in some instances, i.e. Gronkoski and Hernandez, hastening the departure of Benjamin Watson and Chris Baker. 

With perhaps the exception of Brady, and maybe Wilfork, every other player could conceivably be pushed for their starting position. 

BB, time in and time out, has shown that he will play that
    individual that gives the team the best shot at winning.  I seem to recall a 6th round draft choice replacing a franchise QB.

So, I for one am not terribly concerned about where draft picks might fit in next season.  Can you only imagine how good a team the PATS would be if 2, 3, or 4 rookies were to displace veterans and become starters next season.
      Albeit, such rookies would have to be extraordinary talents.

But it certainly makes for an interesting dilemma.  I suspect every GM in the league is envious of the draft position quandry that faces the PATS.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Always fun to predict B.B.'s draft decisions....Its like trying to win the mass lottery.  I just dont see him A.) using both 1's this year, or B.)  Using them to trade up for a top 5 player.  Most likely will be moved until 2012.  But isnt the world gonna end in 2012?  Dont we have to use them all this year?  What happens if there is no football for a year...Do you draft next year with twice the amount of pics, or do we still have a draft?  Wow, I'm like a curious 5 year old today....lol Best case scenario for us to move up, is if there is an absolute STUD OLB/DE that requires a top 5 pick and he is the peice that gets us over the hump in regards to pass rush.  I think you draft a back no higher than the 3rd and go after a M.Bush type in free agency....I would also like to see us get a free agent WR.  Remember we still have Price, a 3rd rounder who probably wont play this year. So unless a Calvin Johnson is available, I think you draft a WR late.
    Posted by patsfan76

The Aztec calendar is now being discredited so yes, they predicted the world would end but it won't be as soon as 2012. Apparently, people had been misinterpreting their calendar...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

From the current 53 man Roster the following should go

Gone no excuses
    Neal - will retire with a new ring
    Morris - will retire with a ring
    Taylor - needs to retire with his ring

Should be gone
    Quinn Ojinnka -
    Terrence Wheatley - how mant more chances ...
    Rich Ohrnberger - hasn't been good enough really
    Alge Crumpler - age is getting up there
    Logan Mankin - wants out
    Gerrad Warren - age facter
    Matt Light - time to give Seabass the keys to the left side
    Johnathon Wilhite - rubbish really

Back from IR to 53 man roster
    Ty Warren
    Leigh Bodden

Looks like 7 -8 picks will make the team and several free agent Vets and walk ons will be brought in for competition

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Where is the Room for all these draft pics?:
    [QUOTE]

It's an intriguing post, 76, so kudos. I think there will definitely be room for 2 first and 2 second rounders. After the first two rounds (and often before), the draft is really a crap shoot: you can get a Curtis Martin or an Ellis Hobbs in the 3rd round; you can get an Aaron Hernandez or a Rich Ohrnberger in the 4th. And there's simply no accounting for a Laurence Maroney in the 1st or a Julian Edelman in the 7th...sometimes you role 7's and sometimes you roll snake-eyes.

I will say this, though. No one loves competition in camp more than BB, because he doesn't give a flying eff about your draft position, only your ability to produce. Thus, I expect GREAT competition for roster spots next year, so if the rooks can't cut it...too bad...

It's a wonderful problem to have.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombdog. Show bombdog's posts

Hoyle I agree with everyone you said should be gone except one. Crumpler is a blocking machine and he was brought in to mentor gronk and Hernandez. He is also a team leader. Keep him and let him play a lesser role  next season

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

COMPETITION = GOOD
    THE WEAK WILL BE WEEDED OUT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This is definitely a good problem to have. With all these picks, Belichick can target any player and get him if he chooses.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Pats have 10 picks (I think?)

1 (Oak)
    2 (Carolina)
    3 (MN)
    4 (Denver)
    5 (comp - Watson)
    6 (New Orleans)

They need like 5 ELITE players and 1-2 depth players, this lineup is pretty set for next year and adding Bodden/Ty Warren is like getting two great FA's

I say they stay pretty close to where they are in the 1st rd and w/ Carolina's top 3 2nd rd pick. Move up or down a few slots based on who they like. 

- One of those 3 picks has to be a pass rusher from either DE or OLB. 
    - One should probably be an OT to phase out Light (extend him 2 years tho)
    - Another could/should be a RB... Ingram if he's around @ Oak's pick, prob in the 8-14 range or Daniel Thomas (maybe move up a bit) at our pick.

**** it would be AWESOME if we signed a shifty lightning back like DeAngelo Williams or Jamaal Charles to get 16-18 carries a game and drafted 6'2" 230lb bruiser Thomas to DESTROY lineman in like 12-14 carries a game****

I say with our next two picks, our own 2nd and MN's 3rd (say 55-60 and 75-80) we use our 3rd, 4th and 5th rd picks to move up... 1st into the top 10 of the 2nd rd where the serious 'ready to start' talent can be found and also back into the late 2nd where sleepers and underclassmen who will be great in 1-2 years are often found.

I'd be looking for a pass-rusher @ whatever position we don't grab in rd 1. Then take a tall WR who may have a little less speed than Tate, but be more of an outjump you for the bomb kind of deep threat. 

It would be nice if Mankins was back but if not we better have traded him for a 2nd or at worst 3rd and then used that pick to get an OG/C type.

5th comp that can't be traded and 6th from NO should be used on project/depth guys who can maybe battle it out with Sanders/Brown, Morris or Guyton/Fletcher for a roster spot @ S, FB or ILB.

Then they should be ready for multiple Super Bowls;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

From the current 53 man Roster the following should go Gone no excuses Neal - will retire with a new ring Morris - will retire with a ring Taylor - needs to retire with his ring Should be gone Quinn Ojinnka - Terrence Wheatley - how mant more chances ... Rich Ohrnberger - hasn't been good enough really Alge Crumpler - age is getting up there Logan Mankin - wants out Gerrad Warren - age facter Matt Light - time to give Seabass the keys to the left side Johnathon Wilhite - rubbish really Back from IR to 53 man roster Ty Warren Leigh Bodden Looks like 7 -8 picks will make the team and several free agent Vets and walk ons will be brought in for competition
    Posted by hoyle

Well said...

To further this, I'd go:

1  3-4 Defensive End- (at LEAST-Ty Warren moving up in age, NE NEEDS at the bare minimum one very decent Defensive End, and No problem a shot at taking a big D-Lineman prospect to groom in later rounds) = 1-(2) DEs

1  Offensive Tackle- (Matt Light is D-O-N-E...pretty sure too, that he's in the last big year of his big-unworthy-contract).  NE has Vollmer, and noone else capable to protect Tom Brady at WHICHever the side of the line Vollmer isn't occupying.  1 OT

1  Runningback- (Jesus, ZERO doubt).  NEEDED, 1 bigger type RB for NEs zone blocking scheme, and this is an utterly ideal situation.  IF that bigger RB CAN be a home-run threat AND a bruiser...THINK now, Corey Dillon alone, IF you still pray either Woodhead/BJGE will either or both, man BOTH-that Maroney place as a 2nd RB AND a 3rd down scat-back...VERY ideal, so = 1-(2) RB(s)

1  OLB-  (Again=IDEAL).  Ninkovich may certainly not be our perfect Strong Outside Linebacker in a 3-4 Defense (when ya think Ninkovich, do'ya think=Long-Term replacement of Mike Vrabel?!?).  NOW- Weakside Outside Linebacker...And so Likewise, TBC is certainly NO Willie McGinest.  We have ZERO idea IF Cunningham can be a Willie Mac, AND the best fit as a pass-rushing pure backfield TRUE threat @ WOLB, seems to be made of glass-Crable.  So, I'd have no prob IF 3-4 OLB = 1-(2) OLBs.

1  WR-  (very hard call on where to rank this...VERY hard).  WRs in the Draft go much faster than RBs in several years and it Is a "Passing League" and NE does NOT have a true #1 WR in the wings.  Thing is, they never really did in SB Championship years, just the "open man."  AND with a Receiving corp (includ. TE)-MORE deep than it has been for many years with: Hernandez, Gronkowski, Welker, Edelman, Branch & Tate, WHERE on earth do ya rank that (IF ya even do)- #1 WR and ideally deep-threat (Taylor Price is sorta a deep-threat/possession guy...from a small program and SO utterly raw).  As it stands, You're goin': 2 TEs/2 slot WRs/and 2 #2 Possession WRs...Very Tough.  So, ya gotta see how free agency & injuries and development AND future schemes play out, but'cha want hopefully/always 1 to groom.  = 1 WR

2!  Offensive Guards- Now, that #1 Ranked OC always goes in the 1st-early 2nd Rd, but those guys just behind him @ OC, slip to the middle RDs.  Couple this w/ Mankins situation, Ohrnberger shortcomings, Neal's age and injuries, and Ojinnaki's free agency, And NE has to, select At LEAST 1 Offfensive Guard of starting material, BY their second 2nd Round Selection.  OGs slip big-time, and NE in good-liklihood, SHOULD undoubtedly pass-off on the OGs (even though, they do need 2!), Until that second 2nd Round Selection.  In doing so, NE by all recent Draffts, CAN very certainly still select, the #2-#3 Rated Offensive Guard in ALL of College, even at the bottom of Round #2.  Now, seeing that NE runs that zone-smaller O-Lineman blocking scheme, built for passing OVER big mauling O-Lineman (like many other teams do), The Patriots can still get the very best pass-protecting, but very good-still all-around OG in College @ the bottom of Round #2.  Finally, NE can pluck (hopefully) a gem in those middle rounds, because imo (and many others)- Offensive Lineman is one of the deeper positions to draft for.  =  2 OGs

1  Offensive Center-  (After at least 1 OG)...  The only reason I am placing OC AFTER Offensive Guard is NOT because I believe the "Mankins Situation" will be resolved...I do not.  It was because I just watched OG Ohrnberger get blown up in that San Diego game.  Very hard placing this here after OG, because I believe that before this season began, Belichick himself wanted an OC before an OG.  BB draffted a very small and imho "raw" Ted Larsen as the future OC from NC State.  I thought it a bad pick then (wanted BCs Matt Tenant), and it turned out to be (Larsen cut in camp I believe).  Overall, It'll be tough taking a flyer with NE's #2 1st rd pick on Fla's Pouncey in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft, because he is SO solid and he can play BOTH OC and OG...very tempting.  Either way, as it stands, ya got Connely and Koppen...2 guys with something absurd, like 15 NFL years between them=old, old, old.  Remember those Giants DTs blowing our OC and 2 OGs off the line?  Nothin' has changed.  = 1 OC

1  Cornerback-  Not sold (EVER!) on Wheatley or Wilhite...and even though I was sold and liked the Darius Butler selection, it's beginning to turn in me.  In the NFL, and in particular NE, Cornerbacks seem to drop like freakin' flies from injury...GOTTA take 1.  Imagine IF Devin McCourty (god forbid) gets injured?!?  Leigh Bodden, Then???  Anyway, we're actually lucky this year in having ONLY 1 top cornerback out for the season.  Bodden also, is getting up in age somewhat, as CBs don't last long in the NFL.  Ya should hopefully be grooming 1 somewhere in order for injuries to your other vets and to get that young guy up to NFL speed when it matters.  Overall, another pposition of need, but a position which is hard to place specifically in terms of importance.  = 1 CB

~Now, I ain't MENTIONING a better long-snapper, and I'm hoping that Mesko IS the solution @ Punter (Matt Dodge shanked far less punts, but didn't have as much of a high-booming kick as Mesko...still, Dodge was/is imho a safer choice for long term from the past 2010 Draft). 

~In the end, We are NOW talking (again pre-Free Agency), A Bare Minimum OF:  
    9 Starters (jesus, Minimum)

~YET, If ya wanted to count a worse case scenario (and again-PRE free agency)-WITH a long snapper, 2 D-lineman (not 1), 2 OLBs (not 1), and 2 RBs (not 1), Pre Free Agency-New England Patriots COULD do with nearly:
    13 MORE Players on their field. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

bellicheck will keep trading down and eventually we will draft John Edward Thomas Moynahanin the first round of the 2029 draft and Benjamin Rein Brady in the 2032 draft

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

all 5 RB's are free agents (not sure about woodhead actually but he is the only one sure to be back). taylor and morris are gone for sure. faulk will probably retire. BJGE is always on the bubble. light, koppen, and neal are all near the end and we dont have good options to replace them. mankins is gone. our OLB depth is a joke, with cunningham the only true 3 down player. the rest are all bubble players at best (maybe not nink). ILB is set. d line is tough to gauge, it seems like we have decent depth if you add in ty warren, but we need a seymour type impact player on the right side. as for the secondary, i would hate to use yet another high pick there, but as we see this year you can never have enough depth.
    bottom line is that its always good to have young players pushing vets, even young vets. there is plenty of room on this team for improvement and i hope it happens not only in the draft this coming offseason but also in terms of good solid veterans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

A second or third rounder will be used to move into 2012 if there is a CBA agreement in place for the 2011 season.

We need a Pass Rushing OLB (Oakland)and OT/Center (Pats pick) in the first round. So depending on the Raiders position the Pats could stay put or move down 1 or 2 (ala Mayo) to take an OLB. With the Pats pick they could move up/down or stay put to grab Pouncey.

WR is supoose to be really good next year for the tall strong Moss type, so the Pats may look for one in the 2nd. Same for RB, but most likley pick up a vet as there will be many available to be part of the committee... Most likely an OG here if they keep both picks.

I would see them keeping both Warren's and taking a DE in the 3rd round and look for a CB/S.

4th round OLB

5th and 6th rounds DE/OL and CB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

My 2 cents on the matter.
    On Defense
    For the DL if they don't use the Oakland pick on a DL they shouldn't even bother down the road.  The roster is full of later round guys that are doing a great job right now.  However, one could always use a stud.  Ty Warren coming back from surgery will maybe be his old dominating self again which is huge.
    OLB - A need for sure.  Probably another DE conversion.  Kerrigan of Purdue and Romeus of Pitt are examples that could be available later in the draft.  Bailey is in about the area of Oaklands projected pick.
    CB - I think everyone can agree that outside of Bodden and McCourty this thing is in trouble.  The problem is with Oakland playing better the high end CB is not going to be there.  Later in the first round there's Dowling of Virginia and Williams of Texas.
    S - Sanders is a capable back up to Merriweather and Chung.  I don't see a need here.

Offense
    OL - Light has games like he did in SD from time to time.  Contract friendly and a Belichick fave.  I don't know if he goes anywhere.  The Pats need a backup OT anyway regardless of Light's future.  Nate Solder is in my cross hairs with the Pats first pick.  We have tons of guards.  If Light is sent packing the Pats will need two OTs.  Kaczur should have been a guard all along.  At center we have over achieving Koppen.  It would be nice to pick up a bigger center to handle those NTs the Pats are seeing more of these days.
    RB - Like to see John Clay of Wisconsin here.  Very early 3rd rounder?
    WR - I think we're set here.  Just fill in with some FAs. 

I believe this shows that there is no problem in seeing where we could use another full draft and that there is definitely room for all these picks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Too many picks in th 1st four rounds is a problem every other team would love to have. The Raiders pick looks to be in 12-18  range, but the Carolina pick will be nearly a late first. I almost wish we dealt Mankins for a 2nd to some team that's in the middle of the pack.

Sections
Shortcuts