Where is the Run Run Run Crowd Tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Where is the Run Run Run Crowd Tonight?

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Good idea Bill and Josh. Even geniuses get it wrong now and then I guess. Hey, I'm open to opposing views, just please spare me the Rusty, Jr. crap or the he's a lousy GM stuff. Talk about the game strategy, with the players they had did they employ the right strategy to win that game?

There are times when there is no strategy that works with the players you have.  Football is not merely an intellectual exercise.  Strategy is part of it, but talent and execution are critical.  If you don't have the talent, or you just don't execute, all the scheming in the world won't save you.

I said before the game that the key was for the defense to be able to get Manning out of rhythm (with pressure on receivers and the QB) and keep him from moving the ball and scoring because there was no way the Pats' offense could win in a   s h o o t   out.  Unfortunately, the defense couldn't do that, so we ended up in a gun fight without enough guns.  Our passing game isn't good right now because we don't have good receiving TEs and WRs beyond Edelman.  If we had been able to get the running game going, that would have helped a bit, but with our weak receivers, Denver was able to focus on shutting down the run and we couldn't sustain drives with it. The reality is that moving the ball and scoring in the NFL tends to require an efficient passing game and we just don't have that.  When you don't have that, you better play well on defense. 

So defensive play was key in this game.  The lack of pass rush, though, was a huge problem for us.  We got absolutely no pressure on Manning and, especially without Talib, our DBs and LBs aren't good enough to cover all those good wideouts and TEs when Manning has all day to throw.  You can't scheme your way out of that. 

As it has been every year, our problem is mostly about talent. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Blount 5/6

Brady 2/7

That's sad.

That's 7 carries for 13 yds between Blount and Brady, and Vereen and Ridley combined ran 9 carries for 51 yds, that's 5.7 yds/rush. Not bad.

Are you joking? Those decent runs all came after the donkeys went into the dime packages late in the 3rd quarter and the score was 20-3.

You're another one long overdue to go on ignore. Four years of stupidity is enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

When you don't have any outside receivers and you need to get the defense worried about the deep part of the field so they back away from the LOS, you're stuck trying to use guys like Slater to try to stretch the field.  Sad, but that's what happens when you don't have anyone else to throw deep to. 

And for those saying we should have run more (of course, they'd say that--they always say that), did you watch the runs in the first half?  Yeah, we got yardage later in the game when Denver was way ahead and focusing mostly on the pass, but early in the game when Denver's defense was more focused on the run we were getting stuffed repeatedly.  When that happens and you're in lots of long yardage situations, you don't have the luxury of running all that much.  Had Blount or Ridley blasted off a few five or seven yard runs, we would have run more.  But no-gainers force you into passing situations.  

Also-- the lack of ability to run and the throw to Slater are interrelated -- the Pats wanted to run against Denver, but to do that they had to make Denver worry about the pass. Slater is an excellent run-blocking receiver.  If they could get Denver to worry about him catching balls downfield too, it would have been a big advantage.  It was a bit of a longshot, but had it worked, it may have helped the Pats get out of the dilemma they faced. I think the Pats thought it was a good thing to try at least once and I don't blame them because, let's face it, with their lack of receivers and Denver keying on the run, the Pats were in a very tough situation offensively.  They needed to show some ability to attack the deeper part of the field and Slater has the speed to do it.  Unfortunately, none of their deep attempts were very successful. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

For whatever the reason...yesterday....it looked like Denver, a College team, was playing the Patriots, a high school team.

We could have been given 5 downs to Denver's 4 yesterday and it would not have mattered.

Run or pass...pass or run....pass the Grey Poupon...it's mindless menusha and neither affected the game.

The biggest stories are why the Pats failed to show up and even if we were fairly healthy would we have enough to beat a very talented team in Denver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

lmao

run was NOT the salvation against Broncos.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

There are times when there is no strategy that works with the players you have.  Football is not merely an intellectual exercise.  Strategy is part of it, but talent and execution are critical.  If you don't have the talent, or you just don't execute, all the scheming in the world won't save you.

I said before the game that the key was for the defense to be able to get Manning out of rhythm (with pressure on receivers and the QB) and keep him from moving the ball and scoring because there was no way the Pats' offense could win in a   s h o o t   out.  Unfortunately, the defense couldn't do that, so we ended up in a gun fight without enough guns.  Our passing game isn't good right now because we don't have good receiving TEs and WRs beyond Edelman.  If we had been able to get the running game going, that would have helped a bit, but with our weak receivers, Denver was able to focus on shutting down the run and we couldn't sustain drives with it. The reality is that moving the ball and scoring in the NFL tends to require an efficient passing game and we just don't have that.  When you don't have that, you better play well on defense. 

So defensive play was key in this game.  The lack of pass rush, though, was a huge problem for us.  We got absolutely no pressure on Manning and, especially without Talib, our DBs and LBs aren't good enough to cover all those good wideouts and TEs when Manning has all day to throw.  You can't scheme your way out of that. 

Good comment Pro. I won't impose you with my own view of the (bolded above) but what do you suspect is the reason for the lack of talent every year? Not meant to be a loaded question but only to hear what you have to say.

Drafting low, poor talent evaluation, Value over more skilled talent, top level pay for few core players, or could It be too much wishful thinking,  etc.

Always Enjoyed your comments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

Good comment Pro. I won't impose you with my own view of the (bolded above) but what do you suspect is the reason for the lack of talent every year? Not meant to be a loaded question but only to hear what you have to say.

Drafting low, poor talent evaluation, Value over more skilled talent, top level pay for few core players, or could It be too much wishful thinking,  etc.

Always Enjoyed your comments.

Thanks Palookaski.  I think you've got to start with the simple fact that the draft system is designed to disadvantage winning teams.  Consistently low draft picks (year after year) create a challenge for Belichick that most other teams don't face.  Most other teams have up and down years, so they end up with a few high draft picks in a ten year span as well as low ones.  We end up with only low ones.  Add to that the loss of first-round picks to spygate and because of the acquisition of Belichick and the Pats have been in "pick hell" throughout Belichick's tenure. 

So start there. 

Then you need to look at Belichick's strategy for dealing with the situation.  His approach is designed to allow a lot of flexibility with players.  He's reluctant to invest too much in any one player,  he wants to keep lots of cap flexibility so he can move players in and out to tweak his team, and he likes to have lots of depth and versatility. He trades down a lot to maximize the number of picks, he avoids potential dead money, and he keeps enough cap room to be able to move players all season. This is a winning strategy for Belichick because he's so good at adjusting his schemes and player combinations to get the most from the players he has. He's very much a team builder rather than a talent acquirer. 

At the same time, however, Belichick's strategy, does leave the team with a shortage of true impact players and, at times, with big holes in certain positions.  We've seen this with the defensive backfield and WR for years now.  Those are expensive positions to fill where top individual talent is hard to find and costs big dollars.  So we've gone without.  But unfortunately, we've needed those players in big games. 

Belichick also tries to maximize his talent by taking chances on guys who slip in price or draft position because of injury, character concerns, or age.  This sometimes works, but there have been a fair number of failures too.  The two TEs (Gronk and Hern) are perfect examples.  Brilliant talent who both fell in the draft because of injury concerns and character concerns, respectively.  How has it worked out?  They both contributed at levels way above their draft position--but both have been lost because of the issues that caused them to slip in the draft.  Then you have the Ras-I Dowlings of the world . . . or the Tavon Wilsons.  Some of those evaluation problems are unavoidable (there's no way to know the future with certainty) . . . but I wonder if BB just tries to get too cute too often hoping to find guys who are worth more than their price or draft position?  Maybe sometimes it's better just to go for guys who have higher odds of working out. 

Overall, I think Belichick is a great team builder and has done a good job given the disadvantaged draft position he's been in for over a decade.  I just think his approach has its downsides too and I'm not 100% sure it's clear one way or the other whether the upsides outweigh the downsides or not.  The winning record speaks for itself.  But so do the losses in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Good idea Bill and Josh. Even geniuses get it wrong now and then I guess. Hey, I'm open to opposing views, just please spare me the Rusty, Jr. crap or the he's a lousy GM stuff. Talk about the game strategy, with the players they had did they employ the right strategy to win that game?

I agree, the defense was abysmal. It was cripping to lose Talib, again.

It's possible that no matter what they did on offense, they'd have lost. My whole point is the offensive game plan. The only chance they had to win the game was to follow the SD blueprint. And they went in the complete opposite direction. I'm being far more critical of the coaching than of the QB. He's following orders, running the plays that are called. The playcalling, the game plan was malpractice. If BB weren't who he is, I'd be saying he should go.

I'm not a run first guy. I believe with the rules the way they are, you need to pass to set up the run. I believe that the 2007 Patriots were the greatest team ever assembled and would have gone down in history as such but for one play. I'd be fine if they went back to that type of team, if Brady still has that in him (which I'm not sure of). 

I don't think you can win in the NFL if you can't pass the ball, unless your defense is stupid good. If Seattle had an average or even above average D, they'd be 6-10. Marshawn Lynch or no Marshawn Lynch, their offense is below average. The QB is overrated. They'd be the Vikings. 

But with all that said, you game plan based on the assets at your disposal, not what you had inn 2007. The game plan yesterday was a joke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree, the defense was abysmal. It was cripping to lose Talib, again.

It's possible that no matter what they did on offense, they'd have lost. My whole point is the offensive game plan. The only chance they had to win the game was to follow the SD blueprint. And they went in the complete opposite direction. I'm being far more critical of the coaching than of the QB. He's following orders, running the plays that are called. The playcalling, the game plan was malpractice. If BB weren't who he is, I'd be saying he should go.

I'm not a run first guy. I believe with the rules the way they are, you need to pass to set up the run. I believe that the 2007 Patriots were the greatest team ever assembled and would have gone down in history as such but for one play. I'd be fine if they went back to that type of team, if Brady still has that in him (which I'm not sure of). 

I don't think you can win in the NFL if you can't pass the ball, unless your defense is stupid good. If Seattle had an average or even above average D, they'd be 6-10. Marshawn Lynch or no Marshawn Lynch, their offense is below average. The QB is overrated. They'd be the Vikings. 

But with all that said, you game plan based on the assets at your disposal, not what you had inn 2007. The game plan yesterday was a joke.

I really think they hoped to run.  I just think everyone in the world knew they wanted to run and Denver was well prepared for it.  They did try to feed Blount and later Ridley the ball early.  But they weren't getting enough good gains and had to revert to the pass--both to get the yards they needed for first downs and also in the hope of losing up the defense a bit to open up the run. (I think they opened with a pass exactly because they wanted to losen up the defense to set up the run.)

I wasn't too surprised by what we saw yesterday. It was one of the scenarios I thought was likely for the game.  The Pats just aren't built right now to beat Denver if Denver is clicking on offense.  Maybe if our defense wasn't as injured as it has been we could have played more like Seattle or the Niners (you're analysis of the Seahawks is right on), but given the state of the defense we were just cooked yesterday. 

Too bad.  It was a team that overachieved after all the injuries.  But it just finally met up with much more talented team it couldn't beat.  

As usual, Gronk would have made a big difference, but as usual he was out for the big playoff game . . . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Patriots game plan meeting:

Bill Belichick: Hey Josh, looks like good weather, what do you think?

Josh McDaniels: Yeah Bill, I say we throw early and often.

BB: OK, but you know we've been pretty successful with the running game lately.

JM: Yeah, yeah I know. We'll run the big guy into the line a few times, you know to make it look like we want to run, then we'll just let Tom sling it.

BB: But, you know our receivers are kind of limited, aren't you worried that we might have a few three and outs that way?

JM: We'll have a few, but the defense is playing well and even if the weather is perfect, it's not like Denver has Peyton Manning or anything, ha, ha!

BB: (Scratching his head) Huh?

JM: Bill, I used to coach here, Tom can still sling it with the best of them, and get this, we're going to use Slater on a deep pass. They won't know what hit 'em. 

BB: Wait, Slater...?

JM: Yeah, I know he caught only one pass in his entire career, but that's why it's so cool. They'll never expect it, it's a surefire touchdown.

BB: OK, well I think you got a handle on the offense, you go with it. I'm gonna go meet with Matt. (Muttering under his breath as he walks away, "maybe I should have told him to take that Cleveland job...)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Only a small number of the Run Run croud was saying run at all cost. Most were saying take advantage of what the Broncos were allowing.

When you get off the field so quick on your first few possentions and the other team moves the ball pretty well from the start does not really matter. 

The croud that was correct on this game is the one that said the Broncos have a near unstoppable good weather offense..asBrady said the best in the history of the game. That was their defense yesterday..keeping the Pats O off the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Only a small number of the Run Run croud was saying run at all cost. Most were saying take advantage of what the Broncos were allowing.

When you get off the field so quick on your first few possentions and the other team moves the ball pretty well from the start does not really matter. 

The croud that was correct on this game is the one that said the Broncos have a near unstoppable good weather offense..asBrady said the best in the history of the game. That was their defense yesterday..keeping the Pats O off the field.

Yes, run in this particular game because it gives you the best chance at winning. As opposed to engaging in a passing duel when you're ill equipped to do that, and when doing that means that the other team, the one with the best passing attack in the history of the sport will have the ball more.  

Football isn't that complicated. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Patriots game plan meeting:

Bill Belichick: Hey Josh, looks like good weather, what do you think?

Josh McDaniels: Yeah Bill, I say we throw early and often.

BB: OK, but you know we've been pretty successful with the running game lately.

JM: Yeah, yeah I know. We'll run the big guy into the line a few times, you know to make it look like we want to run, then we'll just let Tom sling it.

BB: But, you know our receivers are kind of limited, aren't you worried that we might have a few three and outs that way?

JM: We'll have a few, but the defense is playing well and even if the weather is perfect, it's not like Denver has Peyton Manning or anything, ha, ha!

BB: (Scratching his head) Huh?

JM: Bill, I used to coach here, Tom can still sling it with the best of them, and get this, we're going to use Slater on a deep pass. They won't know what hit 'em. 

BB: Wait, Slater...?

JM: Yeah, I know he caught only one pass in his entire career, but that's why it's so cool. They'll never expect it, it's a surefire touchdown.

BB: OK, well I think you got a handle on the offense, you go with it. I'm gonna go meet with Matt. (Muttering under his breath as he walks away, "maybe I should have told him to take that Cleveland job...)

I just choked on my coffee...so f ing hilarious. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

SO much stupidity avoided with the ignore button.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

---

Yes, run in this particular game because it gives you the best chance at winning. As opposed to engaging in a passing duel when you're ill equipped to do that, and when doing that means that the other team, the one with the best passing attack in the history of the sport will have the ball more.  

Even if you know the run is the key, you also know making a few first downs in the beginning of the game is crucial.

Should NE 

1. Let everyone know the key is imposing your will on the other team..the run must work and then run 3 times on the first set of downs? Just make it happen..period.

2. USe what the defesne is giving just to get a first down and slowly integrate the run.

?

what I saw was indecision..looks like they were doing #2 but were not quite sure how committed the Broncos were to stopping the run

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

---

Even if you know the run is the key, you also know making a few first downs in the beginning of the game is crucial.

Should NE 

1. Let everyone know the key is imposing your will on the other team..the run must work and then run 3 times on the first set of downs? Just make it happen..period.

2. USe what the defesne is giving just to get a first down and slowly integrate the run.

?

what I saw was indecision..looks like they were doing #2 but were not quite sure how committed the Broncos were to stopping the run

First, sit Blount on the bench, at least until you've worn down the defense and he can be somewhat effective, if that ever happens. 

Do just what San Diego did, run stretch plays, cutbacks and s h o r t passes to backs and slants with quicker players like Vereen and Ridley and Edelman, who are similar to Mathews and Woodhead and Keenan Allen. The Pats OL is at least as good as SD's. 

Throw a long pass every now and again if it makes you feel better, but not on 3rd and 3 and not to the gunner. Dobson was playing, wasn't he?

And when you get a guy wide open 40 yards downfield for an easy 6 points to give you the lead, on a great play call, I don't know maybe give the guy a chance to catch and not airmail a laser beam.

Then, take Welker out (for good) with a forearm shiver to the noggin. 

That's my game plan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It was pretty hilarious seeing the run fetishists gloating about the team being "transformed" into the rushing juggernaut they always said was needed, only to see that paper tiger abandoned after mere minutes of ineptitude by the great BB.

Hey, I tried to tell them, but they never ever ever listen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

How about that Rob Ninkovich is a GOD crowd?  I mean for all the praise he got here a week before the game, the guy went out and was a complete non factor. Then he had the nerve to come on the radio and talk about Manning getting the ball out so quickly that no rush would have got there....lol

Both C.J. and Nink were No shows. Dennard was a Bum. McCourty was meh. Gregory s*cked and Harmon didnt play. Arrington is overpaid. I mean Ive told you all this ALL Year!  But nooooo, you guys wouldnt listen. I told you all our DE Depth S*cked and once again our DEs played the whole game and did SQUAT!  Matty P still doesnt have any Cahunas and Joshy is still a Bum. Calling deep plays to Slater to try to throw off the D?!  LMAO!   What a joke. How many big games is BB gonna be outcoached for you guys to see it? How many times does our D have to give up 3rd and long and 2nd and 20s to see there is NO talent back there??!!    Wow, that was a sobering loss. Even being undermanned , the players deserved a BETTER gameplan than THAT!  I feel bad for Brady. Dobson doesnt see the field until the 4th series and you expect Brady to battle with Manning with Collie, Amendola, Slater and Muligan, Hooman?!?!   WOW

Thanks BB!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Also, the guys still saying they didnt run enough. INtelligence escapes you.

How can you continue to run for negative yardage while Petyon piles up the points on your chitty chitty bang bang defense?!?!   one posession in the 3rd?!?!  You guys want to waste downs on runs?!?!  The guy was Wolloped!!  The RUn was going nowhere. Better to spread them out and get some points up

The run crowd will never realize how football works. They think you can run any no talent bum and its supposed to eventually work. You only got 4 quarters. Blount was NOT gonna break Chit in THAT game.  Regular season vs Bills is not the same....lol

Face it! OUR DEFENSE was on the field ALL game and Joshy/BB fooled themselves thinking they could run so they de-activated KT and left Dobson on the bench the 1st 4 drives. Brady throwing to 3 non athletic white guys all under 6 ft. Great!  Thats the way to win!!!    Wow.....What an embarassment!  Atleast Nink and CJ will make the Pats hall of fame, even if they cant make a play in big games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

Seems like run was abandoned before it had a chance to get going....

SEE SEAHAWKS !!!!

SEE DEFENSE on the field for most of the game.

Maybe if they converted a few 3rd downs with the run they wouldn't have been..............hmmmmmmmm

convert 1st downs via the run?!?!  Hahaaaa, what game did you watch. we couldnt get ONE yard on 1st down but you wanted to run the ball on 3rd and 3?!  Its not that serious. Just pass to the sticks to a guy that has made plays during the year. Dont throw a low percentage bomb to a guy who hasnt made a play all year!?  

Our Run Blocking S*cked!!!! What game did you watch. Denver OWNED our O line in the run game. You guys want to win but you are calling for more runs???   Wow...delusional fans in here man. It was a fun season but nothing fun about watchign coaches Flub up a gameplan and not give players a chance to win....smh

Have Fun re hashing this cr*p ALL offseason with the run/pass - Brady S*x/BB is God, Coaching /talent, have at it!  Bottom line is Bethel Johnson was right. We will never win again with that arrogant, sour puss coach, a NO talent Defense and No weapons for Brady!  Time for me to stop lying to myself. Even if our team is better next year, will BB stop being outcoached in big games???

Sections
Shortcuts