Where's the Playmakers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Re: Where's the Playmakers?

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm trying find anywhere where I used the word 'juggernaut' and try as I might I couldn't.  I offered the first five games as an example of a D with potential, not a D that was overpowering.  And yet as awful as many suggest this team's defense is, it was 10th in the league in points allowed.  Those aren't my numbers; those are the NFL's.

I just went through the roster and found as many drafted younger players as UDFA younger players.  Apart from that, how does that stack up with the rest of the league?  Every team has UDFAs.  The simple fact is the team wnet to the AFCCG and is that young without having drafted yet this year.  Please don't hand me that it's all about Brady.  I love the guy but he had notihing to do with the team being in the top 10 in fewest points allowed.  That is of course unless you join the critics who say that the O couldn't stay on the field causing the D to be overworked.  Not my position but you know you'll read that here.

I said the team needs more playmakers - twice.

[/QUOTE]

Never said you used the word juggernaut but plenty of others on this board have. Wozzy and TC went as far as saying they would have been the best defense in the entire NFL had the injuries not happened.

Yep, even better than Seattle. All because they beat the Bills, Jets and Buccaneers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

without all those playmakers.........how did they get to where they did last year?

is it truly all the work of Brady?

Luck?

bad division?

[/QUOTE]

They got where last year? Blown out and embarrassed in the AFC game? And if you check the stats on the defensive side of the ball, especially against the run, it looks pretty bad. When Talib was out the Passing "D" was atrocious and I dont see how this year will be any different unless the Pats get some Blue chip players on Defense--lets start with signing Jerod Allen, Linvill Joseph Lance Moore/Golden Tate and Verrner the CB from Tenn in free agency-- then lets get a Center/guard-DT -Safety -TE and WR in the draft!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, the offense was so horribly bad with the lack of playmakers that they tied the 2nd most points per game in the league (without a healthy starting tight end all year), and put up 43 in the divisional round of the playoffs. God awful. As fans we should be outraged that the offense did not score more points than everyone else!!!

And Welkers replacement had 32 more catches and almost 300 more yards than Wes did this year. 

[/QUOTE]

If you read the OP it was focusing on the Defensive side of the ball and the stats you bring up are mostly against crappy teams during the reg season-when the playoffs start and the defenes get better the Pats Offense comes nowhere close to matching the over bloated regular season statistics--check out the past 3-5 years - playoff totals VS reg season totals?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

[QUOTE]

I see developing playmakers on the D in the following:  Chandler Jones, Collins, Hightower.  Do they need more?  Of course.  Let's see where they are after the draft and free agency and the rookies are in their second year.

In case everyone has forgotten, the offense couldn't score on the little sisters of the poor for the first 5 games last season and yet the D surrendered an average of less than 13 pts/gm and the team was 4-1.  Then the injuries started to hit. 

The team, despite the presence of Brady, Wilfork and A. Wilson, is the 2nd youngest in the league.

Again, they need more playmakers, not saying they don't.  Let's see who they get and how the ones they have develop.

[/QUOTE]

What you fail to mention is that the Pats played their WEAKEST part of their schedule the first 5 games last year--I mean it was against cupcake teams-check it out for yourself?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most annoying and overused term in NFL history is "playmakers".

[/QUOTE]

Disagree 100% -Bruschi-Vrabel-Harrisson-Law-Troy Brown etc seemed to always come up with a big play to turn the tide or just downright win the game--like when McGinnest read the play against the Colts and stuffed James on 4th and goal at the 2 yard line for basically the win-and theres many more from these "Playmakers"!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So the real answer is most of the playmakers (especially on D) were injured.

[/QUOTE]

NO! Who of these injured players would you call a "Playmaker"? Melo-Kelly- Arrigton-Spikes with his God awful coverage skills-Vince at 31 Yrs old? This D as it is construed will not win the Pats another SB and TBs years are almost done-way to go Genius BB!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Other than TB and Gronkowski,(when healthy), where are the playmakers on the Pats team? Is it just me or have the Pats been losing these guys for the past 12 years--Rodney, Vrabel. Bruschhi, Seymour, Mcginnest, Dillon, Troy Brown, etc. Not sure if it's due to the drafting down and older, past their prime free agents or just bad drafting and wrong free agent choices--see Adalius Thomas, Ocho Stinko, etc. But our beloved Pats seem to continue to be "waterd down" which in the near future will give us fans a crappy team to watch-and when Tom Terrific is finished what then? Like to hear posters opinions on this?

[/QUOTE]

When you win you're at the end of the draft.  The play makers are the top ten or maybe fifteen in a good draft pool.  The Pats don't draft there.  

The one bad thing I hear about the Pats is their scouting staff is relatively small compared to other teams.  I do not know if it is true or not but that's what I have read in a couple of spots.  It might explain some of the weird picks they make every year.  

Playmakers will appear on a team in great number because the team stunk so long that they gathered a nice mix over a period of time like the 49er's.  Then they finally find a coach.  Other teams get a college coach and draft well for about three years.  They know the players because they played for him, against him or the player was heavily recruited by him. Pete Carroll is a good example.  Jimmie Johnson created a powerhouse for the Cowboys in a very short time.  I expect the Philly coach to do the same.  Don't get me wrong.  There have been failures here too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I see developing playmakers on the D in the following:  Chandler Jones, Collins, Hightower.  Do they need more?  Of course.  Let's see where they are after the draft and free agency and the rookies are in their second year.

In case everyone has forgotten, the offense couldn't score on the little sisters of the poor for the first 5 games last season and yet the D surrendered an average of less than 13 pts/gm and the team was 4-1.  Then the injuries started to hit. 

The team, despite the presence of Brady, Wilfork and A. Wilson, is the 2nd youngest in the league.

Again, they need more playmakers, not saying they don't.  Let's see who they get and how the ones they have develop.

[/QUOTE]

What you fail to mention is that the Pats played their WEAKEST part of their schedule the first 5 games last year--I mean it was against cupcake teams-check it out for yourself?

[/QUOTE]

And the rest of the year?  You did read that part of my post, didn't you, wherein I mentioned that the Pats were top 10 in fewest points allowed?  Seems to me they played teams like New Orleans, Denver and Carolina last season. 

Oh and one of the teams they played in that first 5 game stretch was the Bengals - AFC North and 7th overall in scoring for the year.  They held the Bengals to 13 points. 

Again, the D has potential - I didn't say they were overpowering.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And the rest of the year?  You did read that part of my post, didn't you, wherein I mentioned that the Pats were top 10 in fewest points allowed?  Seems to me they played teams like New Orleans, Denver and Carolina last season. 

Oh and one of the teams they played in that first 5 game stretch was the Bengals - AFC North and 7th overall in scoring for the year.  They held the Bengals to 13 points. 

Again, the D has potential - I didn't say they were overpowering.

[/QUOTE]

They certainly were better than the absolutely wretched atrocity they were for years before last. But Talib made that so, as I predicted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most annoying and overused term in NFL history is "playmakers".

[/QUOTE]

only when a team doesn't have enough of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

without all those playmakers.........how did they get to where they did last year?

is it truly all the work of Brady?

Luck?

bad division?

[/QUOTE]

you dont get what a playmaker is.  decent players can get you there.  playmakers can win you a sb. 

teddy bruschi was a unathletic playmaker.  you wouldn't pay him for what he lacks but man if you tried going over him at a clutch moment.  FORGETTABOUDDIT