Which Era is More Difficult?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Which Era is More Difficult?

Not even close. Cap era is far more difficult....

1. More parity between teams
    2. Increased competition for talent
    3. Managing under or at the cap and trying to stay continually competitive 
    4. etc., etc., etc.

This is why BB I think is the greatest NFL coach of all time. He has more crap to deal with than Lombardi, Welch or any of the coaching elite. These days it's not just about systems and schemes, the finance side is just as important and BB has proved a mastery of it while giving us a competitive team for a decade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Cap era leveled the playing field so to speak as far money being spent/contracts and such which has moved more teams to the middle (8 and 8) Rules that we've just seen play out with Randy Moss in which weaker teams have first shot to get him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Cap era if you mean maintaining a dynasty. For sure.

re: Brady v Montana I still take Montana if I have to win one game. But Brady is the only guy after that. 

The cap era thing really speaks to BB's ability too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

The cap era for sure. And don't forget that free agency was essentially non existent prior to the cap. So it was much easier to maintain your roster when your players have no recourse but to play for you until you cut them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

To maintain a competative team definately cap is harder.

For player welfare...pre cap

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Which Era is More Difficult?:
    Who on God's Earth voted for a Time Before or Even simply Less: PRE-Free Agency of NFL Veterans with far lesser total contract years & years as NFL veterans & greater Player Association checks and balances so NFL teams don't abuse this so there's more FA's with smaller contract years/stipulations on contract years than ever, PRE-Substance Testing of far greater numbers of performance enhancing substances than ever each year, PRE-Roster Limitations based on Exact Number of players you can keep waiting in the wings for the future of your franchise, PRE-Team Salary Cap Stipulations & Ceiling Limitation of spending with far greater league office investigative control if & when they feel it's being abused, PRE-Far Greater Playbook/NFL Guideline Rulebook Changes per season and NFL Rule Changes even withIN seasons as of now, PRE-Revenue Sharing between franchises making more $ and those making less $, PRE-Far Greater Coaching changes/losses to other places in a far more successful game ("buyers market of coaching"), and finally PRE-Collegiate Athlete going to the Pros/and/or NFL free agent - limitations and controls based on NFL Scouts/NFL Teams wooing them (or attempting to), and when, and how...?  ...Jesus, WhoInTH voted that the Pre-Cap Era was tougher??!!  I wanna KNOW ! 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Mr anonymous

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Cap Era is way more difficult to maintain a championship team unless you have a genious running your team then you can take advantage of the rest of the leagues idiots (read Raiders many times, Vikings, etc) ... ok just kidding but not really if you get my point!
    All I can say is thank god we have a great owner who brought us the greatest coach of all time in the NFL.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How did we come back to Brady vs Montana in this post? 

I don't think one can say which QB is better because of cap vs. non-cap era. Certainly teams/owners/coaches/GM's have more to handle in the cap era in terms of staying competitive long term than pre-cap when you could load up. I don't think cap vs. pre-cap is a way to determine a QB's overall greatness..they each are great, and for different reasons, in different eras. Montana and Brady didn't have choices in which era they played. They just played and played to the best of their ability in each era period. 

What I will say is that fielding a competitive team for a decade in the cap era is much more difficult than fielding on in pre-cap. This is a testament to BB and RK, not necessarily 1 individual player. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Cap era is clearly more difficult in which to win multiple S/Bs for the many reasons already mentioned.

Not sure one can compare athletes from different eras.  Just too many variables to make the comparisons work, in my opinion.  Montana was great, Brady is great; one does not contradict or detract from the other.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts