Which Pats Players Should Be Released?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Which Pats Players Should Be Released?

Its' always tough for a contending team to have to trim its roster. Such is the case with our Patriots. Some players who have "earned" their pink slips, while others need to be jettisoned because they may be deemed to be not quite as  valuable to the team as another player. 

In any event, heres' a list of highly rated guys who, for varying reasons, should not make the roster:

1.) S/KR Matthew Slater: I was surprised to read that Mike Reiss had him as a keeper. Sorry Mike, but its' time for the Slater experiment to end. Yes...Slater is fast. But, what good is a kick returner who has trouble catching kicks (remember last years' Steeler game)? He also seems to be strictly a straight ahead runner...lacking the "wiggle" that the good return men all seem to have. The more I see Slater, the more I'm convinced that hes' a much better athlete than he is a football player;

2.) WR Joey Galloway: Though I suspect Joey will make the team, I don't see him, at age 37, being much of a contributor. Joey is the Patriots' answer to former Indy great, Marvin Harrison. Time for youth to be served...and for WR Terrence Nunn to be given a shot. Nunn has thus far outplayed both Galloway, and Greg Lewis. If the Pats release Nunn, he'll likely end up as a Jet, Chief or a Bronco;

3.) ILB Tedy Bruschi: Tedy should never be released...just coaxed into Junior Seau-type retirement. At age 36, hes' a shell of what he once was. Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo are now both better players. Again, youth should be served;

4.) OLB Shawn Crable: Sorry fellow Patriots' fans...but this 2008 3rd round pick is a bust. The guy tweaks his hamstring whenever he walks towards the locker room. Though he has the prerequisite size and speed BB looks for, he lacks the heart of a Bruschi;

5.) CB Terrence Wheatley: Wheatley's play during the preseason has caused Pats fans to have fond memories of Ellis Hobbs. Hate to say this, but the Pats' 2008 draft, save for #1 pick Jerod Mayo, 4th round pick Jonathan Wilhite, and maybe QB Kevin O'Connell, appears to be a disaster. Second rounder Wheatley, 3rd rounder Crable, 5th rounder Slater, and 6th rounder Bo Ruud are busts;

6.) TE Alex Smith: Have to agree with Reiss on Smith. The guy has been a major disappointment; 

7.) RT Nick Kaczur: If Kaczur remains as the Patriots' RT, Tom Brady's NFL days are clearly numbered. Either rookie Sabastien Vollmer, or veteran Ryan O'Callaghan must step up. BUT...cutting Kaczur may be a bit drastic. I've always felt that Kaczur is a guard, pressed into playing tackle. Kaczur may end up being a good replacement for aging RG, Steven Neal. Plus, currently, Kaczur may unfortunately be the best option that the Pats have at the RT position;

8.) Paris Lenon: Cool name...but thats' about it. One of the reasons why the Lions finished 0-16. His showing could lead to the Pats to soon taking a flyer on Adam Seward...recently released by the Colts.

Thoughts? 

Is there any other "name" player that you think should be released?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Re: Which Pats Players Should Be Released?

Tex....I agree with your thoughts on Slater...but Galloway makes the team and I hope that Nunn can clear to the PS...and I agree with coaxing Teddy out...but with Crable and Wheatley( he looked awful against the Bungles) I think I have to defer and just watch the cut list.I think Smith is a casualty at TE as well...my hope is that BB has seen enough to keep Crable and Wheatlley.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

In Response to Which Pats Players Should Be Released?:
    [QUOTE]     Its' always tough for a contending team to have to trim its roster. Such is the case with our Patriots. Some players who have "earned" their pink slips, while others need to be jettisoned because they may be deemed to be not quite as  valuable to the team as another player.       In any event, heres' a list of highly rated guys who, for varying reasons, should not make the roster: 1.) S/KR Matthew Slater:  I was surprised to read that Mike Reiss had him as a keeper. Sorry Mike, but its' time for the Slater experiment to end. Yes...Slater is fast. But, what good is a kick returner who has trouble catching kicks (remember last years' Steeler game)? He also seems to be strictly a straight ahead runner...lacking the "wiggle" that the good return men all seem to have. The more I see Slater, the more I'm convinced that hes' a much better athlete than he is a football player; 2.) WR Joey Galloway: Though I suspect Joey will make the team, I don't see him, at age 37, being much of a contributor. Joey is the Patriots' answer to former Indy great, Marvin Harrison. Time for youth to be served...and for WR Terrence Nunn to be given a shot. Nunn has thus far outplayed both Galloway, and Greg Lewis. If the Pats release Nunn, he'll likely end up as a Jet, Chief or a Bronco; 3.) ILB Tedy Bruschi: Tedy should never  be released...just coaxed into Junior Seau-type retirement. At age 36, hes' a shell of what he once was. Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo are now both better players. Again, youth should be served; 4.) OLB Shawn Crable:  Sorry fellow Patriots' fans...but this 2008 3rd round pick is a bust. The guy tweaks his hamstring whenever he walks towards the locker room. Though he has the prerequisite size and speed BB looks for, he lacks the heart of a Bruschi; 5.) CB Terrence Wheatley: Wheatley's play during the preseason has caused Pats fans to have fond memories of Ellis Hobbs. Hate to say this, but the Pats' 2008 draft, save for #1 pick Jerod Mayo, 4th round pick Jonathan Wilhite, and maybe QB Kevin O'Connell, appears to be a disaster. Second rounder Wheatley, 3rd rounder Crable, 5th rounder Slater, and 6th rounder Bo Ruud are busts; 6.) TE Alex Smith: Have to agree with Reiss on Smith. The guy has been a major disappointment;  7.) RT Nick Kaczur: If Kaczur remains as the Patriots' RT, Tom Brady's NFL days are clearly numbered. Either rookie Sabastien Vollmer, or veteran Ryan O'Callaghan must step up. BUT...cutting Kaczur may be a bit drastic. I've always felt that Kaczur is a guard, pressed into playing tackle. Kaczur may end up being a good replacement for aging RG, Steven Neal. Plus, currently, Kaczur may unfortunately be the best option that the Pats have at the RT position; 8.) Paris Lenon: Cool name...but thats' about it. One of the reasons why the Lions finished 0-16. His showing could lead to the Pats to soon taking a flyer on Adam Seward...recently released by the Colts.      Thoughts?       Is there any other "name" player that you think should be released?              
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]     Its' always tough for a contending team to have to trim its roster. Such is the case with our Patriots. Some players who have "earned" their pink slips, while others need to be jettisoned because they may be deemed to be not quite as  valuable to the team as another player.       In any event, heres' a list of highly rated guys who, for varying reasons, should not make the roster: 1.) S/KR Matthew Slater:  I was surprised to read that Mike Reiss had him as a keeper. Sorry Mike, but its' time for the Slater experiment to end. Yes...Slater is fast. But, what good is a kick returner who has trouble catching kicks (remember last years' Steeler game)? He also seems to be strictly a straight ahead runner...lacking the "wiggle" that the good return men all seem to have. The more I see Slater, the more I'm convinced that hes' a much better athlete than he is a football player; 2.) WR Joey Galloway: Though I suspect Joey will make the team, I don't see him, at age 37, being much of a contributor. Joey is the Patriots' answer to former Indy great, Marvin Harrison. Time for youth to be served...and for WR Terrence Nunn to be given a shot. Nunn has thus far outplayed both Galloway, and Greg Lewis. If the Pats release Nunn, he'll likely end up as a Jet, Chief or a Bronco; 3.) ILB Tedy Bruschi: Tedy should never  be released...just coaxed into Junior Seau-type retirement. At age 36, hes' a shell of what he once was. Gary Guyton and Jerod Mayo are now both better players. Again, youth should be served; 4.) OLB Shawn Crable:  Sorry fellow Patriots' fans...but this 2008 3rd round pick is a bust. The guy tweaks his hamstring whenever he walks towards the locker room. Though he has the prerequisite size and speed BB looks for, he lacks the heart of a Bruschi; 5.) CB Terrence Wheatley: Wheatley's play during the preseason has caused Pats fans to have fond memories of Ellis Hobbs. Hate to say this, but the Pats' 2008 draft, save for #1 pick Jerod Mayo, 4th round pick Jonathan Wilhite, and maybe QB Kevin O'Connell, appears to be a disaster. Second rounder Wheatley, 3rd rounder Crable, 5th rounder Slater, and 6th rounder Bo Ruud are busts; 6.) TE Alex Smith: Have to agree with Reiss on Smith. The guy has been a major disappointment;  7.) RT Nick Kaczur: If Kaczur remains as the Patriots' RT, Tom Brady's NFL days are clearly numbered. Either rookie Sabastien Vollmer, or veteran Ryan O'Callaghan must step up. BUT...cutting Kaczur may be a bit drastic. I've always felt that Kaczur is a guard, pressed into playing tackle. Kaczur may end up being a good replacement for aging RG, Steven Neal. Plus, currently, Kaczur may unfortunately be the best option that the Pats have at the RT position; 8.) Paris Lenon: Cool name...but thats' about it. One of the reasons why the Lions finished 0-16. His showing could lead to the Pats to soon taking a flyer on Adam Seward...recently released by the Colts.      Thoughts?       Is there any other "name" player that you think should be released?              

I agree with most of your list.  I believe Wheatley and Kaczur will make the team though.  I am not sure Watson Makes the team??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Watson or Thomas or both should be cut, Maroney should be cut.

I realize these 3 guys will probably make the team but i think they all sukkk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

I like this list, with one exception, Kaczur should be moved to back-up... I'm not sure that cutting him is the best answer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

For people who don't know why -

Ben Watson won't be cut because he is making small money, somewhere in the 600,000 range this year, thus he is considered a bargain.

David Thomas is still young and may very well develop into a TE, also he plays other positions so he has versatility.

Laura, same reasoning, too young to give up on, maybe he will finally be used in the screen pass game or be a force on KO returns now that Hobbs is gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSports10. Show BostonSports10's posts

Here's who gets cut:

Brian HoyerQB
    BenJarvus Green-EllisRB
    Chris TaylorRB
    Tyson DeVreeTE
    Alex SmithTE
    Shun WhiteWR
    Ryan WendellOC
    Billy YatesOG
    Dan ConnollyOG
    George BusseyOG
    Wesley BrittOT
    Ryan O'CallaghanOT
    Darryl RichardDT
    Titus AdamsDT
    Stephen WilliamsDE
    Paris LenonILB
    Vinny CiurciuILB
    Rob NikovichOLB
    Herana-Daze JonesCB
    Tank WilliamsS
    Raymond VentroneS
    Jamar LoveS
    Matthew SlaterS
    Nathan Hodel LS

McKenzie and Tate to the IR and LeVoir to the PUP.
    Personally, I think the only bubble guys are McGowan and Nunn with O'Callahan, Green-Ellis, Slater, and Ventrone on the outside looking in. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Slater should have been cut last year, the only thing out of him that resembles an NFL player is his dad's last name.  The other most likely candidates to get cut would be Smith, Lenon, and Crable.  Bruschi is a tough one, although he's certainly not the player he once was, he is a BB favorite.  Galloway is probably the toughest one, personally I would like to see the Galloway of 2007 playing for the Pats, but this one will probably come down to what the coaches see behind the scenes.  Kaczur and Wheatley should remain, but I'm just guessing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]very good job. but i have a few beefs. first of, on a light noe, y would anyone want bruschi's heart? isnt it damaged? glad to c someone else is like me on him and not stuck on sentimentality. seau can stay play. honesty is key. bruschi as a present player SUKS. he is worse than troy brown at the end and still bel eased him out of there. 

slater i agree is a goner. ventrone and edelman can do the same things plus butler amd chung. the team is loaded with versatility. your galloway point is bold. nunn and edelman should be given a shot. i would keep lewis since he is younger and is great with special teams and could play both WR spots. he would b a good bakup if for some reason, neither of the other 2 could solidify the 3rd or 4th positions. marvin harrison would actually b a serviceable 3rd receiver here if his price came down. jamar gaffney will b missed. he was great in both the slot and flank.watson should b the 4th or 3rd TE if he can ever get on the field. baker and thomas are simply better right now. even devree to a degree. (pun). is it a given that maroney makes the team? i like taylor as starter with jarvis-green as his primary bakup. perhaps sammy morris can get in the mix by week 6 if he can finally get healthy. the new chris guy they just signed was another wise bel move!he has experience and can b the x-factor along with faulk. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

In Response to Re: Which Pats Players Should Be Released?:
    [QUOTE]Here's who gets cut: Brian Hoyer QB BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB Chris Taylor RB Tyson DeVree TE Alex Smith TE Shun White WR Ryan Wendell OC Billy Yates OG Dan Connolly OG George Bussey OG Wesley Britt OT Ryan O'Callaghan OT Darryl Richard DT Titus Adams DT Stephen Williams DE Paris Lenon ILB Vinny Ciurciu ILB Rob Nikovich OLB Herana-Daze Jones CB Tank Williams S Raymond Ventrone S Jamar Love S Matthew Slater S Nathan Hodel  LS McKenzie and Tate to the IR and LeVoir to the PUP. Personally, I think the only bubble guys are McGowan and Nunn with O'Callahan, Green-Ellis, Slater, and Ventrone on the outside looking in. 
    Posted by BostonSports10[/QUOTE]shun white is already on the military-PUP list. it gives pats a 2year exemption! wesley britt and nikovich will also b on the team. bel loves nickovich for specl teams. great call with slater but i think tank williams, nunn, green-ellis and ciurciu are locks! o'callaghan is a bubble guy. think kaczur may b the same way too.nunn is on bubble but i will b surprised if he is not on the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

will b interesting to watch what happens with the roster.when in doubt, hope bel will go roll with the younger guys. thus, galloway has to go in favor of a nunn. bruschi must go in favor of a crable. kaczur in favor of o'callaghan. frankly, i prefer hoyer over walter at this point at QB. and so on. weatley should b cut though he's young. he's too dumb for a guy that short (5'7). he's too much of a liability just to b average! i love the safety pool. i like tank williams... exception to the old guy rule. ingram over hodel. if close, go young. chung, butler (could start at CB) are good safety options too. ventrone is a bubble guy. alexander is too good on special teams to b cut. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

ben watson=suks balls=0=cut
    maroney=cut
    thomas=stinks, 3rd rd. BUST

kAZZAR=stinks= trade his azs
    Teddy=I LOVE U Buddy= enjoy life now, go play golf with troy brown, see ya.
    lenon=cut
    galoway=cut

alex smith=cut

slater=stinks=cut

tank williams=cut

crable=suks=cut

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from koshman. Show koshman's posts

Billy Yates needs to be gone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

if hoyer keeps playing like he did this past thurs he could be challengeing the no.2 spot.it could comedown to walter or oconnell getting cut.but then again they could keep all four.one of them could be trade bait like cassel.I like texas pats list.i feel the same way.as for bruschi getting cut?i doubt it.i could see him calling it quits though.im thinking his heart isnt in it since the vrabal trade,he might have gotten upset over that one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

Hoyer, Watson, Galloway and Nunn to the Broncos for Derrick Burgess and a first round pick. Okay, throw in Bruschi and add a fifth rounder.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Tex, good to see an old freind in the mix. I agree although I kind of think Wheatley may hang around. If it came down to Wheatley or Nunn, good-bye Wheatley. Insofar as BJGE is concerned he will make the team, Maroney should go. Tex if you recall I defended LM the last two years hoping he would improve but he hasn't. Nunn is a consistant contributor. He'll be better than Edleman provided he stays healthy. Edleman is better after the catch than Nunn. J Galloway must feel pressured as he is attempting to practice harder but he has two glaring problems age and a history of drops. Speed is wortkless if the receiver can not catch the ball. A name I have not seen on anyone's radar is Derrick Burgess. He has not shown me anything. His mom is better at getting off the snap. Was hoping that he was the answer but he's not. What say you??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lenstjean. Show Lenstjean's posts

In Response to Re: Which Pats Players Should Be Released

It always seems that every time Kaczur gets beat he is looking around as if somebody else blew an assignment, but I have to think most of the time it is his fault...I think he makes the team though.  Unless Slater is doing all that stuff on special teams that us fans don't see I think he should be cut.  He makes alot of mental mistakes while playing special teams, the only area he is suppose to able to contribute.  I agree that the future at inside linebacker is Mayo/Guyton, however Tedy Bruchi can still contribute, besides who else do they have inside,  Eric "the great" Alexander or Paris "Hilton" Lenon. Alexander makes it purely on special teams play.  Alex Smith is gone, Watson is oft injured and inconsistent but is still pretty good. When I first saw David Thomas I thought he was going to be real good tightend.  I am not so sure now, but he does alot of things and is serviceable.  Wheatly has looked awful, but I don't think Belichick will give up on him so soon.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

ITexas;

I agree with most of your cuts but not all.

1. Bruski; if he's gone, who backs up either ILB? Yes, he's slowed down but his instincts make up for lots of that.
    2. Crable; Give him the chance to get up to speed on the practice squad. Too much talent to write him off just yet.
    3. Wheatley. ditto. He's the Whippet type that BB loves. Too early for the Turk to call on him.
    4. Kaczur; Again, wide-body backups are hard to find. Might have some trade value as OL are at such a premium.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Wow, just one week after you post the worst thread ever ("D that gives up 6 points needs work"), you manage to outdo yourself with "Let's cut 5 of our best players."

1.  Slater - ever hear of special teams?  He's one of our best gunners, if not the best. 
    2.  Galloway - maybe, but too early to tell.

3.  Bruschi - you really are a Cowboys fan, not a Pats fan.

4.  Crable - been in the NFL one year and injured, and you call him a bust.  Unbelievable. 

5.  Wheatley - see 4.

6.  Smith - maybe.

7.  Kaczur - your constant simple-minded analysis of the game rears its head again, as you cut a guy because of a miscommunication on a draw play.

8.  Lenon - maybe.

I know I'm hard on you Tex, but you need to stop creating so many freakin threads and start reading people who actually understand football, like zbellino and patpsycho.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, just one week after you post the worst thread ever ("D that gives up 6 points needs work"), you manage to outdo yourself with "Let's cut 5 of our best players." 1.  Slater - ever hear of special teams?  He's one of our best gunners, if not the best.  2.  Galloway - maybe, but too early to tell. 3.  Bruschi - you really are a Cowboys fan, not a Pats fan. 4.  Crable - been in the NFL one year and injured, and you call him a bust.  Unbelievable.  5.  Wheatley - see 4. 6.  Smith - maybe. 7.  Kaczur - your constant simple-minded analysis of the game rears its head again, as you cut a guy because of a miscommunication on a draw play. 8.  Lenon - maybe. I know I'm hard on you Tex, but you need to stop creating so many freakin threads and start reading people who actually understand football, like zbellino and patpsycho.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

The day you start complimenting and/or agreeing with me is the day I'll start questioning what I know about football. Doesn't the dumb-azz Snydley Whiplash photo that accompanies all his posts tell you all you need to know about him? LOL!! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

[QUOTE]Here's who gets cut: Brian Hoyer QB BenJarvus Green-Ellis RB Chris Taylor RB Tyson DeVree TE Alex Smith TE Shun White WR Ryan Wendell OC Billy Yates OG Dan Connolly OG George Bussey OG Wesley Britt OT Ryan O'Callaghan OT Darryl Richard DT Titus Adams DT Stephen Williams DE Paris Lenon ILB Vinny Ciurciu ILB Rob Nikovich OLB Herana-Daze Jones CB Tank Williams S Raymond Ventrone S Jamar Love S Matthew Slater S Nathan Hodel  LS McKenzie and Tate to the IR and LeVoir to the PUP. Personally, I think the only bubble guys are McGowan and Nunn with O'Callahan, Green-Ellis, Slater, and Ventrone on the outside looking in. 
    Posted by BostonSports10[/QUOTE]

Good list!
    But I think Green Ellis, O'Callaghan and Ventrone will make it.  Nunn should be there too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]thats what opinions are for mighty.there just opinions.in what most everyone says makes sence.will it happen to what most say?probably not,but then maybe.if it turns out they way we call it,then we can gloat,but if it dosent,its still our opinion.a lot of people here can talk good football cant deny it,but it dosent mean the pats are gonna follow any of our advise,wants,or needs.this is a place to post your opinions.you just need to chill,and quit pitching a fit when someone posts something you dont like.just ignore it.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Moss:

Ever hear the old saying, "the empty barrel makes the most noise"? That applies in spades to my pal Mighty. Doesn't that dumb-a$$ Snydley Whiplash photo that accompanies all of his posts tell you all you need to know about the guy? LOL!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickelbean. Show nickelbean's posts

i dont think that any of the second year players should be released because they havent had enough time to prove them selfs.  I think that Bruschi's best ddays are behind him and even though he is a good mentor i don't think that it is worth a roster spot.  i think that Randy Moss should be released because he is old and is way slower than he was in 2007.  I could see Julian Edelman having 1200+ yards and 15+ TDs this season in MOss's place.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

On the thoughts about Bruschi getting cut, who else do we have for depth behind mayo and guyton. I dont think he should start but he will make a good back-up