Which player impressed you most.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Re: Which player impressed you most.

Travelling out of country and missed the game - sounds exciting !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Brady and Moss looked like brothers seperated at birth. Brady looked for him and found him every time he needed him.

Now, onto the not Brady/Moss of the teams. 

Brain Hoyer - Dude looked like a young Tom Brady. The coolness in the pocket, the accuracy, the game management. It's clear he's been taking notes on Brady. He did really well. 

BJE - Screw everyone else. He just made the Saints pay. He put his shoulders down and pounded the Saints hard. I thought guys were starting to avoid his contacts as the game went on. He looked like what the Ravens RBs looked like in the playoff game. Head down, smack someone, get 4 yards a run. 

Connolly - Mankins' value just got weaker, pre-season or not. Connolly was good. He took on three defenders to get BJE that TDs. He was really good. 

Welkerman (Edelman) - He looked like Wes, but it's clear that he is faster, stronger, better at changing momentum. Wes still has him beat in quickness, but Wes has everyone beat in quickness. 

Gerrad Warren - Dude made a HUGE impact on the pass rush. He was collapsing the pocket during every play. It's no wonder Murrell got that sack, Warren need double, maybe even triple, coverage. I hope Ty Warren comes back soon, with him and Gerrad playing Ends the pass rush will be greatly improved from last year. 

Big Vince - Warren wouldn't have shined had Vince not drawn double coverage. It's hard to believe that those guys were the same guys who pushed us around when we played last year. 

Spikes - I wasn't a fan up until today. Now, (Italian accent) Fourget about et. Mayo and Spikes were pushing guys around. Spikes covering Shockey is an amazing feat. Shockey is a really good TE. 

Mayo - HE'SSSS BAACCCKKKKKKK! Mayo hit everyone he could get his hands on. There was this one play were Drew overthrew a WR and he dropped it and Mayo came in and nudge the WR anyway. It was as if Mayo was telling him "I'm watching you, be afraid" it was such a Bruschi play I wanted to head-butt my TV. 

Marques Murrell - Don't know why he started over Cunningham, but he got a sack. Hard to believe that he's a special teamer. 

I thought the IC call on Butler was bogus. That ball wasn't catchable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Apart from the excellent points already made:

*Really impressed with Connolly - was watching the left side of the line while he was in there - looked solid.
    *Murrell may have value as OLB - looked quick - got to Brees early.
    *I know it's been said but McCourty and Edelman were impressive.
    *Spikes - this guy appears to be the real deal.

All of that being said, it was a pre-season game.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Sam 'Bam' not Sam 'the Bam'.

(I think Bob Kraft had a pop or two before the presentation.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xfiles45. Show xfiles45's posts

Spikes, Edleman, and Hoyer ... along with the whole offensive line !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbrew46. Show bostonbrew46's posts

Offense: edleman
    Defense:spikes and chung
    =
    this season is going to be great

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Spikes
    McCourty
    Tight Ends in general
    Hoyer
    Edelman (holy crud)
    1st team O line
    Rest of the guys still impressed me.  So many good things happening out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

people have written of wheatly but he had a very solid game last night... on ST and at right corner.  he had six solos tackles... he made the game saving tackle in the 4th quarter....

believe me bill likes corners.... but how can you pick one player... many outstanding efforts    we got some young studs fellas....

wheres all the trolls now...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most.:
    [QUOTE]Hoyer - but thought he looked good even last year. Edeleman - but again thought he looked good from the VERY Start of last year. Gronkowski - good blocking McCourtey - Butler attacked by the offense more than him. Spikes - Looked OK for a rookie but the hype and bandwagoning is over the top on him right now. Gerrard Warren - looked right at home. Wheatley - He's always been better then Wilhite in my opinion and he looked better than him tonight tonight. Dan Connolloy was ok - He stalemates with his blocks more than wins or moves anyone but the end result was mostly him geting the job done. Hernandez was OK but he doesn't seem quick enough to run those screens that they run with Welker and Edelman effectively. Most players did not have enough "quality" reps to make comments on. The players above seemed to have more reps and showed "consistent" overall good performance. I ignored the single "flash" by this guy or that guy.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

connolly absolutely slammed vilma pulling on one of the touchdown runs... no tie on that one on one battle

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most. : It's God first. And if they turn out anything like Ron Artest, they'll thank their record producer second, therapist third. THEN, you Laz =)....it would certainly be unique, and quite refreshing,if they would thank evolution for evolving them the skills to win the SB....nice..and then thank Laz...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Sergio Brown laid down some lumber late in the game last night. Certainly got my attention - and I was just sittin' on the couch. Ouch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

[QUOTE]people have written of wheatly but he had a very solid game last night... on ST and at right corner.  he had six solos tackles... he made the game saving tackle in the 4th quarter.... believe me bill likes corners.... but how can you pick one player... many outstanding efforts    we got some young studs fellas.... wheres all the trolls now...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

didnt want to go pp on your parade.  you guys seemed so happy with your domination with your "big" formation on offense.  NO had the #25th ranked defense last year so dont get too happy with being able to run the ball into the endzone against them.  overall you guys looked good and you cant ask much more positives from your first preseason game.

As for murrell, I wish him the best.  for some reason he couldnt crack the starting LB position for the jets but he was a hard worker and i liked him.  Does he still train by running up hills with a tractor tire tied to his waist?

anyway, good game for you guys

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most. : connolly absolutely slammed vilma pulling on one of the touchdown runs... no tie on that one on one battle
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if it's the same one i am thinking of but he pulled right on one and smacked a linebacker and it was a big collisiosn but both he and the linebacker just sort of stayed in the same spot and both poped up straight.

The job was done as I said cause the RB ran past and in the end zone but DC did not run over the linebacker or even move him at all just sort of collided and shielded him from the RB.

Job done and success but that's also what I meant by stalemate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most. : I am not sure if it's the same one i am thinking of but he pulled right on one and smacked a linebacker and it was a big collisiosn but both he and the linebacker just sort of stayed in the same spot and both poped up straight. The job was done as I said cause the RB ran past and in the end zone but DC did not run over the linebacker or even move him at all just sort of collided and shielded him from the RB. Job done and success but that's also what I meant by stalemate.

It's not always about moving someone when you're pulling. If you're pulling, your goal is to occupy blockers in the direction to which the run is going. As long as you take up space and pick guys up, you're fine.

Anyhow, Connelly looked great in pass-protection, even better then Mankins I'd reckon, and he looked fine in the running-game. There was no noticiable drop-off from him to Mankins.

If it saves us money, I'm happy since I know that we aren't losing any playing ability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Another thing I noticed is Vollmer is a Giant, Viking looking Conan the Barbarian type mauler. I do not think it was accident BB put the TE triplets on the right side next to Vollmer. I swear I could run behind that line. Vollmer might be the best linemen in football as he masters his kraft.

A couple of other things, I gotta believe we are auditioning BJGE for trade bait. Not much of a reason to start him with the 1st stringers unless...

Gerrard Warren,Damien Lewis,Wright,Pryor,Deadrick, We have legitimate beef on the D -line. Warren looks like perfect fit to this position group. A classic BB FA acquisition. This D line looks like it has strength,depth and veteran leadership.

I know Hernandez had some drops but he also had some nice grabs. He lined up all over the field and even though the season has not started yet I think it is safe to say this guy was a major steal for the 4rth round.

Pierre Woods came in with 2nd string and hit Ramsey 2 plays in a row. Played in 16 games last year with 5 starts. 6'5 260 not a bad back up/possible starter. Murrel looked good obviously and I did notice TBC in a couple of nice run supporting plays.

Spikes looked like a natural and he is taller then I thought he was a nice presence in the middle of the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most. : It's not always about moving someone when you're pulling. If you're pulling, your goal is to occupy blockers in the direction to which the run is going. As long as you take up space and pick guys up, you're fine. Anyhow, Connelly looked great in pass-protection, even better then Mankins I'd reckon, and he looked fine in the running-game. There was no noticiable drop-off from him to Mankins. If it saves us money, I'm happy since I know that we aren't losing any playing ability.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

That's what I said. He succeeded on the play.

The stalemate comment was on his entire game not that one play. I have an original post earlier in the thread that the other gentleman had responded to.

Frankly I find it funny that every one was freaking out as if Connolly was going to have an epic fail or something. No he's not Mankins and won't be but he's not chopped liver. Connolly was the reigning #1 interrior lineman off the bench from a year ago. He would not have been in that position if he was a stiff.

The only reason people are praising Connolly's play was because of the unfounded  low expectations they had placed on his performance before he played. I already expected him to be solid and he was so I said he played OK.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Which player impressed you most. : That's what I said. He succeeded on the play. The stalemate comment was on his entire game not that one play. I have an original post earlier in the thread that the other gentleman had responded to. Frankly I find it funny that every one was freaking out as if Connolly was going to have an epic fail or something. No he's not Mankins and won't be but he's not chopped liver. Connolly was the reigning #1 interrior lineman off the bench from a year ago. He would not have been in that position if he was a stiff. The only reason people are praising Connolly's play was because of the unfounded  low expectations they had placed on his performance before he played. I already expected him to be solid and he was so I said he played OK.

I think it might have a little more to do with the Logan Mankins situation than anything else.  A lot of people were concerned with our situation on the O-line, but judging by last night I think we will be just fine assuming a couple of the younger guys come around for depth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Edelman, Spikes, McCourtey, Hernandez

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Too many to mention them all but; Chung,McCourtney,Conelly,Tate,both of the TE picks,Spikes and about70 other guys as well. N.Os NFL leading offense was held in check with the exception of 3 return aided returns. A guy that might be on the outside looking in from N.O. is Avery. If he is waived he might be worth a second look by us. We were dominant overall despite the score ,I think we dominated from 1st to last unit across the board. I am really excited about this after watching last night. I'm really really really really excited. I feel we have reloaded with faster ,stronger bullets. I see a trip to visit my nephew in Dallas in Febuary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]Is it me, or does McCourty seem ahead of Butler??? 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsPunter. Show PatsPunter's posts

Julian Edelman is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. This kid will turn out to be the steal of last year's draft. He has to be on the field as much as possible. I also like Brain Hoyer. He has a good feel for the field and has a strong, accurate arm(don't count Edelman out as your 3rd string quarterback.
    On defense, I was impressed with Wilfork, Murrell, Spikes, Mayo, Chung, McCourty, and Sergio Brown. Don't be surprised if Brown makes the team.
    I didn't see much from Tyrone McKenzie, which is a concern for a third round pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

As silly as this sounds (albiet I didn't see the game) but the rookie punter (name?)...43 net ave with 3 inside the 20...Sound like the kid has a pretty good leg...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I went last night and I was impressed all over the place. The starting offense had a lot of success moving the ball. They looked balanced and already in regular season form. Give credit to the play calling for that.
    Ben Jarvis looked hungry, Maroney actually punched it in a couple times, Moss found ways to get open and Edelman is just sick. Having him and WW running around the slot just isn't fair. Tate is super fast and looked great.

Hernandez looked good in the second half, great hands and good speed. Crumpler blows people off the line and should really help contain the corner for runs outside.

The D was far more impressive then I thought they'd be. They got good pressure and the Saints receivers had someone on them all night. I haven't seen the numbers but it looked like they held Bush down pretty good. The Saints had the one drive with the starting O where Shockley got it a couple times where our D was outplayed but that is the SB champs right? With that said they had to keep the drive alive with going for it on 4th down which may not happen during the regular season.

ST needs work, somebody almost had'em on that run back. I don't know who but he put an arm hit on him and we all know how that works and then he was off to the races. If he stays fundamental he takes him down on that play.

Ghost looked great as usual and I think I only got to see one punt and it looked Ok.

All in all I'm beyond happy. This offense is capable of putting up serious numbers this year. If the play calling is good and BB rotates people in and out I don't see how to stop them. 

If you have Moss and Tate wide, Edelman and WW in the slot, Crumpler and Hernandez switching out at TE and a constant rotation of great experienced backs coming in and out to keep them fresh it's crazy to think about what could happen. Then you have Gronk, Holt and Faulk to mix in.

One last thing on D I saw were guys high fiving and getting each other pumped all over the place. #rd down stops had guys coming off the bench to give congrats. This is a young D and if they can gel together (like we all know BB knows how to do this) they could get their own identity and I think that's what they're looking for.

I can't wait for the regular season, this is going to be a lot of fun this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Spikes, Chung, McCourty, and the new group of TE's. Edelman did great so i was impressed but not suprised cause he was doing stuff like that last year. I was not too impressed with Butler, he made a couple mistakes. Anyone know where Bodden was? Is he injured?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

alot of player looked great but we must be careful and not read into this one preseason game.  lets see how they look in the other 2 preseason games. remember crable and chad jackson looked great in the preseason. Hoyer looked really poised and did an amazing job.  zac Robinson is good as cut. Spikes looks great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all the worry warts you can stop having your concerns about any of the kids from UOF. These guys have been playing in the BB system for however long they played at UOF. There are several interesting story guys Like the undrafted duo of Sergio Brown and Dane Fletcher,others who showed themselves very well include Murrell,Edelman,Ghiuriuc and the two kids on the OL Welch and Larsen all had decent games. Darnell Jenkins gave everybody a look at what true speed looks like!! Nice game overall but again it was just a pre-season game so I'm not going to go crazyt and say I'll see everyone in Texas for the SB.

Sections
Shortcuts