which position battles intrigue you the most?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

which position battles intrigue you the most?

This team is so deep that there is a position battle at almost every position. With training camp opening up to the public tomorrow, I was curious who everyone is rooting for. Personally, I'm very excited to see how vereen and ridley perform. I also can't wait to see how mallett and hoyer play. Can mallett beat out hoyer for the second qb spot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: which position battles intrigue you the most?

Edge players. Who gets more PT to start the season? Scott, Jones, Bequette? Does Jermaine Cunningham even make the team? Does Hightower play outside? Can't wait!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Offence's fault (Rusty) vs Defense's fault (Babe)

Just kidding they have done that to death and then some.  I'd say RB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: which position battles intrigue you the most?:
    [QUOTE]Offence's fault (Rusty) vs Defense's fault (Babe) Just kidding they have done that to death and then some.  I'd say RB.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, that's good.

Btw, I'm going with RB's too.  Very interesting to see what happens here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Where Hightower plays is my number 1, if Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette can make the first team. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Good point, jri. The o-line seems to be getting thinner and thinner. Hopefully vollmer and mankins can make it off the pup before the deadline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Running back. Hopefully, the Addai release means Vereen and Ridley are ready to take the load.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Offence's fault (Rusty) vs Defense's fault (Babe) Just kidding they have done that to death and then some.  I'd say RB.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I was gonna go with the Brady-Welker grudge match, but this is good...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I'll go w/ CB--Ras I's health, does McCourty return to form, is Moore the real deal and will Dennard make the team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

After reading some of the threads on here, you'd think it would be QB.  Who's gonna replace that Super Bowl choker Brady?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

there are interesting battles for roster spots at DB - moore; s brown; barrett; dennard; cole; et al likely fighting for 1 or 2 spots. if edelman is in the mix this might affect the numbers as well. 

running back situation a little clearerer with the release of addai. seems like the team must be planning on carrying a fb as there are three in camp. larsen most likely. 

the wide receiver battle will likely come down to branch and stallworth if the team carries 6 as slater and edelman would seem too valauble on special teams to let go. 

might be a LB fight for the last spot with white; koutavides; tarpinian. special teams will also likely heavily influence this decision, as will the versatility of players like hightower.   

the outside/edge players are tough to call because so many can potentially play several positions

the O Line is also dificult to predict because so much is dependent on the health of mankins and vollmer, but if everyone is healthy a good battle for a spot between players like thomas and wendell might be in the offing.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

There are a lot of interesting ones, but the secondary right now probably interests me the most because I think it's a unit that really needs to be better than it was last year but the path to its improvement isn't quite clear.  There are lots of players in the mix, but it's hard to say who will work out.    

As I said on another thread, there are lots and lots of question marks in the secondary--but also a lot of possibilities for gettting good answers.  The things to be looking for are:
    • Will McCourty return to rookie form?
    • Is Ras-I really a starting corner--and, if so, can he stay healthy?
    • Does Allen still have anything left?
    • Is Gregory a potential starter at safety?
    • What can Tavon Wilson do?
    • Is Moore really a player or just a flash in the pan?
    • Can we expect anything more from Brown, Barret, or Cole?
    • Will Dennard or Williams or Ebner provide anything?
    • Is Chung healthy enough and talented enough to really be a dominant player at safety?
    The only guys on the roster I don't have significant questions about are Arrington, Ihedigbo and Ventrone.  We already know that Ihedigbo and Ventrone are best left to special teams.  If Dig is starting again, there's a problem. Arrington we know will remain in the mix, as a back up if not as a starter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm going to have to go with the CB battle. McCourty, Ras, and Arrington are the only guareenties to make the team at this point but there is so much room because they typically carry 3 CBs. Can Moore continue to develop? Dennard has starting potential but can he show it? Is Cole's value at ST really worth more then Allens vet presence given a team loaded with gunners? Is Allen a true leader and a vet presence that can lead the young core? Is there even going to be a FS position or a bunch of CB's, CB/FS, SS roles?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Prolate - good post and I agree. Defensive secondary is where I'm most intrigued. Confidence for McCourty, performance by Tavon Wilson, health of Ras-I.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]Edge players. Who gets more PT to start the season? Scott, Jones, Bequette? Does Jermaine Cunningham even make the team? Does Hightower play outside? Can't wait!!!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Can't wait

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

QB: In short I can't wait to watch Mallet in preseason to see how much of the playbook he has absorbed, I'd prefer we didn't carry 3 QB's on the roster.

RB: Ridley has the 1-A job for now but has another power guy behind him in Bolden if he can't hold on to the ball. 
    Vareen is the most intriguing because he has the moves of a third down back but is bigger, stronger and can run between the tackles, if he became a superstar it wouldn't surprise me. 
    Woody if left to the third down role like Dave Megget and Kevin Faulk before him should be the best in the business.

WR: This is the most interesting battle maybe because of the amount of quality bodies we're bringing to camp.  We have some deep speed now with Lloyd and Stallworth back in the mix and a bevy of possession receivers. This should be fun to watch.

OL: While I don't enjoy the uncertainty of having that many starters on IR or not showing up at all (Waters?) there will be some fun in watching the bookend tackles of Solder and Cannon progress and I think barring injury we have enough depth inside to compete.  The good news is we have a glut of talent coming off the PUP after 6 games.

DL: Frankly the only position that scares me from lack of depth, after Wilfork and Warren (who is limited in snaps) there is a huge drop off in talent. We had better be able to pressure off the edge so we keep our interior healthy.

LB: This is an area we'll all be watching intently for obvious reasons. A huge influx of talent outside (Jones, Bequette) as well as Hightower inside mixed with the quality starters we already had is going to make for exciting football. I believe Bequette will surprise a lot of people early on.

DB: There seems to be a lot more hoopla about our pass rush (like always) than our defensive backfield but we made a lot of additions here. The free safety battle between Gregory, Wilson, Dennard and Ebner will be one to watch. Dennard and Gregory may play as much corner as safety but they both play well in zone facing the action so I think we made significant upgrades across the board.

Our team is much improved from last years health provided, Go PATs!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

recievers

every single one bu lloyd has been with the team before, so there is no excuses, they all know the general way things work so we are going to see who the best guys are(finally, no more ochostinko)

Stallworth vs branch(only one will be here) 

Will we trade wes?

Can edelman hang on?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

QB - Will Mallett show significant progress? Will Hoyer increase his value?

RB - No Addai leaves room for Bolden (yes), FB (lukewarm), or Faulk return (please no!). Ridley figures to start, but I think Vareen could be a big-time player. Woody should continue to see a diminshing role IMO.

FB - Larsen is the only one I think has a chance to make the team due to his versatility.

WR - Welker/Lloyd/Gaffney/Edelman/Slater/Branch is my best guess.

TE - Like the Ballard pickup, but he's out for the year. Depending on Fells health, Shank could stick.

OL - I think Waters is back, just been granted some time away from camp. Not an unreasonable request for a Pro-Bowl caliber 15 Year Vet OG. We need Vollmer healthy - so I have my eye on his progress. Cannon could see significant playing time this year if Vollmer goes down. Mankins recovery is a sub-plot for me.

DL - Wilfork is aging, but still our most important defensive player. It's amazing he has been so durable throughout his career and I pray that this isn't the year he falls to injury. Fanene will be intriguing as well. Will Love show improvement or continue to be an above-average fill in? Will Carter be back? I hope so, but it depends on game readiness of Bequette/Jones/Hightower and ability of Cunningham. If Cunningham is cut or Jones needs a "redshirt" year, Carter should be brought back.

LB - So many new edge players, can't wait to see the competition between Scott, Bequette, Hightower, Jones, Cunningham and others. Cunningham has gotten public compliments from BB, but he'll need a strong showing at camp to save his roster spot.

CB - Will McCourty regain his form? Will he even be at corner? Probably... with Wilson and Gregory on the roster. The everlasting question, can RasI stay healthy? He was the Week 1 starter as a rookie last year so theres no denying he can play. Can Moore/Arrington repeat? Who else sticks between Cole/Allen/etc?

S - Was Tavon Wilson worth a second rounder? I'll be watching...and who is Steve Gregory? Never really seen him play, but will be worth watching to see if they are upgrades or not?

Sections
Shortcuts