Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB.....

Some are thinking Law Firm because he doesn't fumble ball and is a north south runner, but he's not known for being able to break a big one.

I say a heavy dose of Ridley would be good (just hold onto the rock)....and some Woody and Law Firm to mix things up at times.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB.....

heavy doses of Law Firm to pound the line, and Ridley for the edge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This is a tough one to guess.  I can't imagine BB going to a true "ground and pound" approach for this game, but I suspect he's going to mix in a decent number of running plays to keep the Giants D off balance and also to exploit some softness they've shown at times in run defense.  I suspect he'll use BJGE and Woodhead the most, as he has all season.  Ridley is the best runner, I think, but BB's not going to want to risk fumbles, so the use of Ridley really seems contingent upon how BB feels about his ability to protect the ball.  Two potential surprises in this game could be:

1. Faulk playing a big role--Woodhead isn't nearly as effective as Faulk used to be in the passing game; Faulk hasn't looked great this season, but if he can return to past form, I could see him playing a much bigger role.  He'd be valuable both because of his pass blocking skills and his ability to catch balls out of the backfield and even be flexed out as a receiver.  Woodhead isn't as versatile or as good as Faulk used to be.  

2. Polite.  Can he play the passing back role?  If he can pass block and catch (and run a bit), I could see him playing a role.  It's a big if, because we haven't seen him do much at all in the short time he's been with the team, but another big body who can block and catch might be very helpful, especially if Gronk isn't 100%. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Big if on Faulk looks like he lost his burst really limits his contribution beyond reliable blocking for Tom. Maybe they've been saving him and his legs are stronger. That would be huge.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from helterskelter. Show helterskelter's posts

In Response to Re: Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB.....:
    [QUOTE]heavy doses of Law Firm to pound the line, and Ridley for the edge.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]Yes and ridley from the start so if he fumbles its easier to recover from,plus I want the Pats to do 20 run plays first half.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I hope Ridley has earned Belichick's confidence but if not I have complete faith in Green-Ellis and Woodhead to get the job done.

As for Faulk and Polite, neither has played much so I wouldn't count on them doing much but you never know. Remember J.R. Redmond?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree w/ bobbysu. Law firm and a small sample of Ridley.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I know this will never ever happen, but could you imagine if they worked a guy like Vareen in there during portions of the game and he had the Giants chasing him all over the place? I know he won't even dress, but there was a reason they selected this guy in the second round - he has got very good speed and moves.

Really I think they will try to get Benny going and give him his chances - probably will get more shots in the second half after things have settled and their line is tired. A guy like Ridley may get you more yards early on because he can get a little more than just what is there. Woodhead will probably be used more early as well for his quickness and his ability to catch.

Truthfully if Gronk was 100% I think you'd see us just spread them out and try to create mismatches in the passing game (probably with a lot of success). Then you'd see more balance in the second half with Benny, but now? Who knows? I know they have a plan, but with Gronk's injury no one really knows how it will go. I think it will come down to, is the spread going to work with just Hernandez, Welker, Branch and an injured Gronk? I don't think it will and if you have to take Gronk out and put Ocho in there I think it will be worse.

You can't have a guy (Ocho) out there against a team that pass rushes like the Giants - he won't know when to break off a route or heaven forbid he runs the wrong one when Tom is under pressure. Plus if you take the extra tight end off (Gronk) you might as well tell them that you are going to pass and oh yeah not one of the receivers we are sending out there runs below a 4.6 right now. I think we may see a very different looking offense than what we normally see out of us.

Either way I'll take my chances with a Brady led offense and Belichick having two weeks to prepare. Pats 24, Giants 17

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To me, this ears-pinned-back, QB hungry Giants DLine is just BEGGING to be run on.

BJGE ripped off about 5 yards per carry agains tthe Ravens, who, to me, have a decidedly better run D than the Giants.

If the Pats go pass crazy, and lose by a few points like in 07, I'm going to go insane.

Calling it a "passing league" is the biggest myth currently being sold in sports. It is not a passing league, it's a golden QB era, and rules have been shifted to adjust to that. But, if the Pats commit to the run, they can win in much the same fashion as they did in 01.

Winning should be priority, not winning WITH style. You don't get anything on the scoreboard for style points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB.....:
    [QUOTE]Some are thinking Law Firm because he doesn't fumble ball and is a north south runner, but he's not known for being able to break a big one. I say a heavy dose of Ridley would be good (just hold onto the rock)....and some Woody and Law Firm to mix things up at times.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

I think backfield personnel comes down to ball security and pass-pro.  I think Benny gets a bulk of the carries while Woody/Faulk split time on passing downs and/or in the screen game, which I think will be a weapon as they look for ways to offset the NYG's upfield pass rush ability.

I'd be suprised to see Ridley touch the football... he's fumbled 2 of his last 19 carries and I just don't think BB will trust him in this game.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I want me some Ridley

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Im guessing % BJGE 60, FAULK 30, WOODY 10

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

I hope they start with two runs by BJGE, and then run a flea flicker to Ocho for a TD. that would really get the Jints thinking!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In what would go down as the worst game plan in Superbowl history, I hope the giants decide to surprise the Pats by handing off to Bradshaw about 60 times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

No, wait, that won't work. There is no way that they get 20 three and outs. 30 times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]This is a tough one to guess.  I can't imagine BB going to a true "ground and pound" approach for this game, but I suspect he's going to mix in a decent number of running plays to keep the Giants D off balance and also to exploit some softness they've shown at times in run defense.  I suspect he'll use BJGE and Woodhead the most, as he has all season.  Ridley is the best runner, I think, but BB's not going to want to risk fumbles, so the use of Ridley really seems contingent upon how BB feels about his ability to protect the ball.  Two potential surprises in this game could be: 1. Faulk playing a big role--Woodhead isn't nearly as effective as Faulk used to be in the passing game; Faulk hasn't looked great this season, but if he can return to past form, I could see him playing a much bigger role.  He'd be valuable both because of his pass blocking skills and his ability to catch balls out of the backfield and even be flexed out as a receiver.  Woodhead isn't as versatile or as good as Faulk used to be.   2. Polite.  Can he play the passing back role?  If he can pass block and catch (and run a bit), I could see him playing a role.  It's a big if, because we haven't seen him do much at all in the short time he's been with the team, but another big body who can block and catch might be very helpful, especially if Gronk isn't 100%. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. Here's a thought, are we going to need a big play or two from one of the RBs on the team during this final game? I think we are going to need 1-2 big plays from different areas of the offense. If the answer is yes, which RB is the most able to break a long run? I think it'd be Woody on the outside, or Ridley has the potential to do it up the middle, edge, or outside. Yes, Ridley might be a slightly higher risk for fumbling - but is a calucalated risk in a one game series Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Big if on Faulk looks like he lost his burst really limits his contribution beyond reliable blocking for Tom. Maybe they've been saving him and his legs are stronger. That would be huge.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Faulk was an insurance policy. I guess he might be called upon once or twice in this game - but I think it'd be riskier to play him vs. Ridley due to rust. IMO, Faulk, altho an insurance policy, is a waste of a roster spot for the SB game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I know this will never ever happen, but could you imagine if they worked a guy like Vareen in there during portions of the game and he had the Giants chasing him all over the place? I know he won't even dress, but there was a reason they selected this guy in the second round - he has got very good speed and moves. Really I think they will try to get Benny going and give him his chances - probably will get more shots in the second half after things have settled and their line is tired. A guy like Ridley may get you more yards early on because he can get a little more than just what is there. Woodhead will probably be used more early as well for his quickness and his ability to catch. Truthfully if Gronk was 100% I think you'd see us just spread them out and try to create mismatches in the passing game (probably with a lot of success). Then you'd see more balance in the second half with Benny, but now? Who knows? I know they have a plan, but with Gronk's injury no one really knows how it will go. I think it will come down to, is the spread going to work with just Hernandez, Welker, Branch and an injured Gronk? I don't think it will and if you have to take Gronk out and put Ocho in there I think it will be worse. You can't have a guy (Ocho) out there against a team that pass rushes like the Giants - he won't know when to break off a route or heaven forbid he runs the wrong one when Tom is under pressure. Plus if you take the extra tight end off (Gronk) you might as well tell them that you are going to pass and oh yeah not one of the receivers we are sending out there runs below a 4.6 right now. I think we may see a very different looking offense than what we normally see out of us. Either way I'll take my chances with a Brady led offense and Belichick having two weeks to prepare. Pats 24, Giants 17
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

anything is possible!  LOL Laughing

it would be a riot if Vareen was able to play - and have a "career type" game by catching, running, and blocking like an all pro for a combined 175 yards or something insane like that

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Which RB To Hand Off Too During SB..... : I think backfield personnel comes down to ball security and pass-pro.  I think Benny gets a bulk of the carries while Woody/Faulk split time on passing downs and/or in the screen game, which I think will be a weapon as they look for ways to offset the NYG's upfield pass rush ability. I'd be suprised to see Ridley touch the football... he's fumbled 2 of his last 19 carries and I just don't think BB will trust him in this game.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

doesn't that play into the "predicatability" of play calling?  Rusty had a good point about law firm being the main go to guy for all different things (running, catching, blocking, play action) in order to keep opponents guessing and be less predictable.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]anything is possible!  LOL it would be a riot if Vareen was able to play - and have a "career type" game by catching, running, and blocking like an all pro for a combined 175 yards or something insane like that
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
    Remember Timmy Smith in the 1987 super bowl? link
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80743491/Top-Ten-One-Shot-Wonders-Timmy-Smith

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

John Riggins.

Or maybe Marcus Allen.

Sections
Shortcuts