Which Rookie has the best year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Which Rookie has the best year?

Out of all our draft picks in this years draft who will have the best rookie season? Spikes? The first round pick? One of out new tight ends? WHat doy ou guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Which Rookie has the best year?

I'm going with Spikes definitely. We need help at that position in a big way so he should get plenty of exposure. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him have 90+ tackles or more depending on how much PT he gets.

Honorable Mention for Zoltan! He will most likely be the biggest improvement on this team from last year but Punters don't get tons of respect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I agree with Spikes, he will probably get the most snaps the quickest. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I say The Gronk! The beast Tight End should supply us with run blocking but also another 6ft6 target for Brady in the middle of the field. With hopefully our focus on offense once again including the play action pass Gronkowski's stats this year might not tell the whole story in regards to his impact.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Sam, although I too want to see ZM have a great year, dont want him to be the best, punter just isnt that important vs the other positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Zoltan or Hernandez.  I like Spikes but the competition is fierce at ILB and I don't know if he'll start every game as a rookie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Devin - his play will make Bill give him more minutes. Special teams and CB packages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I think you gotta go Gronk...gotta love his attitude and size...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

kind of hard to say right now...who would have guessed that sea bass and edelman would have been our top rookies last year? 

who do you guys think will be the top second year guys? i think edelman will be an all pro this year, and i also think butler is going to have a breakout year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Interesting question.

For rookies, I think Hernandez and Spikes will have big impacts, but you can't rule out anyone based on last years success. For all we know Ted Larsen might be the most productive guy. 

For second year players, Vollmer will probably still be the best of the group (that's not a surprise though). After him, I can see both Butler and Chung getting a lot better. DB's tend to improve a lot in their second year, so both Butler and Chung may have a bigger impact. Edelman should also play at a higher level.

It's great to think about what the sophomores could do to help the team. I doubt many national media members spend any ink on that idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

I believe there will be a couple of rookies helping out right away but if i had to pick one it would be spikes.  Mayo is solid and knows the pats def really well.  this will allow spikes to jump in sooner and blow up the middle.  The thought of Mayo and Spikes in the middle is very exciting.  Then you have Mckenze subbing in and out.   Hope it all goes as well as  i see it in my head =P

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It is very possible that McCourty,Gronk,Spikes,Hernandez and Zoltan will see more time than any group of rookies than B.B.has ever played in their first season since arriving in town.All have the physical tools,team orientation and mental capacity and toughness to impact more positively than most not in the game itself choose(or want)to believe.Cunningham and Price also possess the potential to join these five with the speed of their learning curve being the determining factor on how many snaps they get.Of the seven,Cunningham's potential contribution is the most crucial to the team and Pats fans should be hoping that he is capable of assimmilating a very difficult and complex system in record speed and not lose any of his motor which runs about 100%,100% of the time.Welch and Larson figure to be around in some role.That's nine rooks on this team and it wouldn't be a surprise if there were one or two more were secreted around foxborough in one way or another.This lengthy tome should tell you I believe the Patriots had a deep draft in terms of quality and quantity,and as importantly,in terms of young men with character,mental and physical toughness,team first players and the kind of men who you want in your lockerroom and on the field when things look there worst.By the way,assuming he is healthy,and all reports I've seen indicate he is,gronk should a big man in both the ground and air game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You got me with this thread. I'm going to say that several will contribute,but I have a question isn't Crable technically a Rookie as is McKenzie! Though I'm going to say that Hernandez will turn out to be the best of the lot as far as draft choices are concerned. Also one of these 4 UDFA's will contribute: Fletcher,Anderson,Paschall or Farnham. This was a strange off season,The Patriots re-signed a lot of their own FA's and still drafted 12 players and they brought in another 9 UDFA's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I want Ted Larsen to surprise us all like Vollmer did last year.

Also can't wait to see Spikes totally flatten someone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Hernandez is best bet, TE is the position has the lease amount of competition for rookies, no knock on Crumpler, I think he will contribute and be No 1 on the depth chart but he's not a true pass catching TE at this point in his career and we often times use 2 TEs.  The fact that he'll have TB throwing to him will help as well.  But if he can't block or pick up the O he'll be on the bench so we'll see. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Well heck, Spikes will probably contend with Guyton for a heavy dose of starters minutes beside Jerod Mayo. McKenzie will also see some action I'm sure, and I'm willing to bet he comes on strong for the special teams units. Speaking of special teams, Devin McCourty, Taylor Price, and Zoltan Mesko could all see significant playing time on special teams. Aaron Hernandez is a slot receiver in a tight ends body; he'll probably be used as an H-back and see time in the backfield as well as at the end of the offensive line and split wide as a receiver. Rob Gronkowski may be used in a similar way, although I think his back issues in combination with his time spent away from football, and just the lack of NFL experience in general will keep the Pats from playing him too much early on. Jermaine Cunningham on the other hand figures to be used a lot. I like him a lot and I think he plugs in very quickly to give the team a jolting presence on the edge. Later round picks Ted Larsen, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, and Kade Weston could all see time in some sort of minimal role. Zac Robinson likely doesn't backup Tom Brady this season with Brian Hoyer in his second year, but I like him heading into the future; I like his potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i dont think hernandez will have a big immediate impact just based on the fact that he has a totally different offense to learn, although i do think he has a chance to be a great weapon down the road (dont forget he is only 20, so he's probably not even fully developed physically). i also dont see larsen or welch playing at all this year, just based on the fact that they are very very raw and i think brady wants veterans protecting him, even if some of them are getting long in the tooth.

i think spikes is going to be huge for us, even if he doesnt play on all three downs. his leadership and toughness are going to be just as important as his performance as a rookie. he will be our unquestioned defensive leader by 2011. i also think that deaderick is going to be the surprise player from this year's draft. everything is set up well for him: he played in a similar system, and we have a huge need at his position. i also think that he should be a much better player now than he was last year in college, when he was recovering from being shot and had shoulder injuries. if he was healthy at the combine he could have been a 3rd or 4th round pick, and ourlads even said he could have been a 2nd round prospect. i'm really interested in seeing this guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i'm also interested to see what mckenzie's role is going to be on this team. right now it seems like he is a depth guy at ILB, behind mayo for sure and probably spikes and guyton too. but the way that BB gushed over him last year, i have to think that he may have other plans for him after drafting spikes. he was in the offseason program and recently talked about getting stronger and faster, which bb obviously was aware of. so why draft a guy at the same position and bury him? that leads me to believe they may have some sort of other plans for him, which i'm interested to see. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Which Rookie has the best year?:
    i dont think hernandez will have a big immediate impact just based on the fact that he has a totally different offense to learn, although i do think he has a chance to be a great weapon down the road (dont forget he is only 20, so he's probably not even fully developed physically). i also dont see larsen or welch playing at all this year, just based on the fact that they are very very raw and i think brady wants veterans protecting him, even if some of them are getting long in the tooth. i think spikes is going to be huge for us, even if he doesnt play on all three downs. his leadership and toughness are going to be just as important as his performance as a rookie. he will be our unquestioned defensive leader by 2011. i also think that deaderick is going to be the surprise player from this year's draft. everything is set up well for him: he played in a similar system, and we have a huge need at his position. i also think that he should be a much better player now than he was last year in college, when he was recovering from being shot and had shoulder injuries. if he was healthy at the combine he could have been a 3rd or 4th round pick, and ourlads even said he could have been a 2nd round prospect. i'm really interested in seeing this guy.
    Posted by artielang
    As an avid Gator fan I'll tell you that all three Gators are very good and have received tuteldge from BB during his visits to UF,as for running the same offense UF uses the exact same offense as the Patriots out of the gun,with that said I think the acclimation time for Hernandez will be the fastest maturation process of the three,with Spikes and Cunningham right behind him.Also keep your eyes on Deaderick the kid from Alabama another of the BB tree schools and a very good DE he might be the real surprise of the camp! I'm a guy who loves the underdog so I'll be watching these guys: Dane Fletcher the DE/OLB from Montana State his video showed me a player in the exact same mold as Tedy Bruschi,the next guy on my watch list will be Sergio Brown a Free Safety from Notre Dame the guy has all the attributes of his Defensive Backfield coach Corwin Brown a real hard hitter and he covers better than most Safeties. Next on the UDFA list is Bryan Anderson WR from CMSU this kid has the size necessary to be an excellent possession receiver and his college game proves it as he caught balls in 54 straight games, finally Buddy Farnham the Brown University slot receiver who was all that at Brown catching everything thrown in his direction. Well lets all hope that all of these players are great and have long and productive careers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i was excited about fletcher too, but he is getting reps right now at ILB (i guess based on his lack of height) and there is no way he makes the team if that is his position. sergio brown is interesting but we are very deep in the secondary. anderson by all accounts looked slow and bad hands in rookie camp and there are a lot of receivers ahead of him so he has an uphill battle. farnham looks like he could be a guy who could find a nitche on this team of all the free agent rookies.

as for UF, do they really play the same offense as the patriots? i only watched them play in the bowl games so i dont know a whole lot about their schemes, but my understanding was that the dont play in a pro style offense, and the long line of successful UF qb's who couldnt play in the nfl was because they were system guys. am i wrong about that? wasnt that one of the knocks on tebow?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Maybe Crable will post a 10 sack season! Or maybe I will sprout wings and fly :-p
    On a serious note, I think Spikes willhave the most impact, but am also high on McKinze.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

artielang: They like most College teams played from the spread offense over 50% of all offensive sets but when they went under center with the QB their offense was earily similar to BB's especially with the 3 step releases to the TE which just happened to be Hernandez as opposed to the slot receiver that BB's offense uses,in the first camp the guys who go to these things said of all the players in the rookie camp Hernandez had the best grasp of what to do,where to be and what his assignments were! So I'm going to say that the offensive language and sets are very similar!! The same thing will hold true for the other Gators and the Bama player that were drafted as the defensive schemes though different in terms of alignments are concerned with at UF as their base was a 4-3,but they frequently shifted to the 3-4 during the game so all of Urban's players are familiar with it and the language again is the same,as for Deaderick he played in the 3-4 at bama,the same one which is used at Camp Patriots.They should all at least be competitive.Oh and in reference to your question about Tebow,he is the exception to the rule where Gator QB's are concerned,I really think had he fallen to the 27th pick BB was going to draft him,Josh just beat BB to him. He also took the WR that BB wanted in Eric Decker,Taylor Price was the back up plan just like McCourty was...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Offensively, Gronk should have decent year if he is healthy(soft hands and all) and Moss continues to be doubled. Hernandez could be effective if the Pats use the spread more often. Defensively, there is a logjam at LB and we have to see who goes inside (Mayo Spikes) and who goes outside (Crable, Guyton, Mackenzie, Banta Cain, Cunningham). There are also a number of second year players that could start living up to expectations: Chung, Brace and Butler, namely. I excluded Vollmer because he is already there. I expect Mc Courty to be a decent special teams player and Price and Tate should be able to work themselves into the WR rotation...eventually. Zoltan is the punter, so he doesn't have to compete for minutes like the other players. Oh and the Pats brass has four of the first 64 picks in next year's draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

just based on the number of plays IMO DM will have the most impact.  He will be on all special teams and also play a lot of CB.  I have a feeling that by season's end you can see DM lining up (with some help over the top) against team's #1s.  I really like him and his combination of speed and size will be used against guys like Homes, Marshall ect.
    I can see all of the first 7 picks having an immediate impact at some level.  Gronk will be that kid like enthusiasm that they haven't had in a while.

Get the popcorn ready this should be a very good season, don't sleep on Cunningham he could surprice a few.  There's a reason why he was taken and not Dunlap. He's got the tools and I think he'll see more and more time as the season progresses.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

i wonder about spikes on third down. he is said to have great hands and instincts on pass defense and i think he had good pick numbers at florida. will his speed keep him out of obvious passing downs anyway

Sections
Shortcuts