Which Rookie has the best year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Re: Which Rookie has the best year?

In Response to Which Rookie has the best year?:
    Out of all our draft picks in this years draft who will have the best rookie season? Spikes? The first round pick? One of out new tight ends? WHat doy ou guys think?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

mcourty, he will be on the field alot. special teams, nickel corner etc, he had 7 (i think) blocked kicks, and was a great returner in college. especially since the jets and phins revamped their recieving core, i def think he will get thrown right in the heat of things

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

hopefully spikes and/or gronk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

ok i hear you on that, and if you are right than hernandez could be primed for a big rookie year. and i one of the big reasons i picked deaderick as one of my rookie impact players earlier in this thread is that he's been playing in the BB defense at alabama (and he was hurt last year which i'm sure was part of why he tumbled in the draft). but i'm not sure about the florida defense being that similar. i remember at the end of rookie camp reading spikes saying that the patriots is like learning french. so i'm not sure that in terms of scheme there is much similarity. but the similarity in coaching style, preparation, and what is expected of the players is there so in that respect i think it helps spikes and cunningham. anyway i just cant wait to see these guys get out on the field and see what they can do!
    In Response to Re: Which Rookie has the best year?:
    artielang: They like most College teams played from the spread offense over 50% of all offensive sets but when they went under center with the QB their offense was earily similar to BB's especially with the 3 step releases to the TE which just happened to be Hernandez as opposed to the slot receiver that BB's offense uses,in the first camp the guys who go to these things said of all the players in the rookie camp Hernandez had the best grasp of what to do,where to be and what his assignments were! So I'm going to say that the offensive language and sets are very similar!! The same thing will hold true for the other Gators and the Bama player that were drafted as the defensive schemes though different in terms of alignments are concerned with at UF as their base was a 4-3,but they frequently shifted to the 3-4 during the game so all of Urban's players are familiar with it and the language again is the same,as for Deaderick he played in the 3-4 at bama,the same one which is used at Camp Patriots.They should all at least be competitive.Oh and in reference to your question about Tebow,he is the exception to the rule where Gator QB's are concerned,I really think had he fallen to the 27th pick BB was going to draft him,Josh just beat BB to him. He also took the WR that BB wanted in Eric Decker,Taylor Price was the back up plan just like McCourty was...
    Posted by sportsbozo1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't know how they will use Hernandez.  When the Pats drafted Mills a couple of years ago it got posted that the Pats would use him as an HBack and in the slot.  We never saw a thing come of it but limited TE and his eventual release.  Hernandez may have the jump on Gronkowski at the TE spot.  Missing a year of football can't be all that good. 

In the red zone it would be a hell of a three TE set.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Im going with Cunningham for OLB will have the best year. I think he just needs to prove that hes not prone to mistakes to start at OLB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't know how they will use Hernandez.  When the Pats drafted Mills a couple of years ago it got posted that the Pats would use him as an HBack and in the slot.  We never saw a thing come of it but limited TE and his eventual release.  Hernandez may have the jump on Gronkowski at the TE spot.  Missing a year of football can't be all that good.  In the red zone it would be a hell of a three TE set.
    Posted by garytx
    Yeah I remember that draft they also got David Thomas from the University of Texas,Mills was the kid out of Tulsa Univ.,The Vikings then claimed him off waivers in what Childress claimed was one of his finest stealings of a player from BB who he absolutley despises,in fact everytime he drafts a player he thinks he's out smarting BB,just go back to his comments about drafting Percy Harvin,these are his words roughly: We got him just before the Patriots because we knew that it would drive BB wild. But I digress,Mills was a good TE/H-Back he just never got a chance too show it in New England and he hasn't had the oppurtunity to show it in Minnesota either! As for Hernandez and Gronkowski being the top rookies on this team we will just have to wait and see! This was and is a quality class of rookies and the gem could be anyone of them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Hernandez - first, Spikes tied with Gronkowski for second - don't count out Price (he could be a sleeper).  Have to see McCourty play more??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hernandez - first, Spikes tied with Gronkowski for second - don't count out Price (he could be a sleeper).  Have to see McCourty play more??
    Posted by canpatfan
    McCourty will be on the field a lot,he's a special teams player and he'll beat out someone for either the nickel or dime spot in the packages the Patriots run. His strongest point as a DB is his sticktoitiveness and his ability to tackle as he held opposing receivers  to 2.75 yards of YAC per catch last season,what that means is you catch the ball you hit the ground. So with that type of tackling ability combined with his ability to stay with his guy,it should tanslate into playing time at least in the dime package but more than likely he is in the nickel package just based upon his competition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to Which Rookie has the best year?:
    Out of all our draft picks in this years draft who will have the best rookie season? Spikes? The first round pick? One of out new tight ends? WHat doy ou guys think?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

The best way to determine this is by looking at the depth chart and see which starting job is most vulnerable heading into camp.

For that reason, I say Brandon Spikes.

Guyton couldn't handle the WILB spot and Mayo is better on the weak side. Spikes should be the early favorite.

He graded higher than McKenzie, coming out of college and he's got the physical size to play on the strong side. Let's hope he doesn't get injured.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My Cunningham wild guess is not working out at all.  Meh!

In our first look at actual practice Hernandez is getting all the attention, and Spikes is getting attention too.  Hernandez is the only fullback/H-back on the team so either he plays or the Pats don't run those types of plays. 

Spikes is being groomed as the defensive signal caller.  Now that's impressive!  Only one guy on the defense gets to wear that hat.  Spikes gets an automatic edge on third and long situations if he's the defense's leader, which is why he might beat out Hernandez in this dubious competition.

Gronk can sit behind someone else, Alge Crumpler, until he gets things right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Pete I like Spikes and I know that late in the year Guyton didnt look good but i am so tired of people looking past Guyton. When Mayo went down the team played like it didnt matter and why was that? Cause Guyton played great during that part of the year. He deserves more credit then he gets. Spikes might beat him out but that wont be a knock on Guyton Spikes is just a good player but as far as starting jobs go the TE's have the most chance to play.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Good call Killa. We had just lost Seymour via trade, Bruschi and Harrison retired, Vrabel was traded away with Cassel, then Mayo went down with a knee injury. Prospects appeared bleak but the defense still played well led by Guyton, McGowan and others. It makes you wonder what happened to the D late in the season.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the rookies perform this season. No guesses on who will have the best year but it will be fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Hernandez 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

if sportsbozo is right about  Mcourty and the 2.75 yards YAC than I am impressed.. that means good coverage ..albeit against college WRs. It also means a TACKLER!!!
    Also his brother is an NFL CB ( Titans?) so I think the pedigree is there!

Also I think people minimize the punters contribution. BB always stresses field position

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If it turns out that McCourtny is the top rookie i will be very pleased. another good young CB will be great for this team. Thats assuming Butler has a good year as well of course.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

I gotta stick with Spikes, but I do hope McCourty does real well.  The way the game is played today, you need 3 starting quality DB's on the team.  Still remember how the Texans threw another receiver on the field to force Wilhite to play in the sub.  They picked on Wilhite bad.  I think Mighty was the only fan on this forum who still supported Wilhite all season lol.

17. This post has been removed.