Which Safety to cut?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

Which Safety to cut?

i think we got to many safeties, but who to get rid of?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Which Safety to cut?

All four (Chung, Meriweather, Sanders and McGowan) should make the 53 man opening day roster.

If they cut one, it's McGowan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

In Response to Re: Which Safety to cut?:
    All four (Chung, Meriweather, Sanders and McGowan) should make the 53 man opening day roster. If they cut one, it's McGowan.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree completely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

they're not cutting one of those four safeties.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They have 5 safeties. McGowan, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, and Lockett. Take out Lockett because he is a ST player. 

Meriweather is the best of the group. He goes nowhere. IF he can learn how to be an effective tackler he'll be one of the best in the league. Right now, he has a ton of potential. 

Chung is the cheapest of the group. Too much potential to let go after just one season. 

Sanders is the most experience, He knows Belichick's defense enough to call secondary plays. 

McGowan... he gets the boot if they give any the boot. Not much I can say about him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The safety position is a place where if they decide to go with 3 they will trade Sanders. Start Chung and Merriweather and have McGowan and Locket as backups. 

Too much tallent to cut any of them. If they don't find someone to trade for them they will just keep all of them. That I am sure of.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I just hope they all finally learn how to play the position.  I'm sick of seeing the opposition converting 3rd and shorts, 3rd and longs and 3rd downs in general.  A Red Zone stop every now and then would be cool also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Tcal2... I hear you but the safties are not as big of an issue. The problem with third downs was the teams knew they didn't have to worry about the pass rush. Hopefully Cunningham is the right piece with the other changes they will make.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Tcal2... I hear you but the safties are not as big of an issue. The problem with third downs was the teams knew they didn't have to worry about the pass rush. Hopefully Cunningham is the right piece with the other changes they will make.
    Posted by DaBlade

Cunningham? Are you saying the Patriots drafted Ritchie Cunningham? Wow, what will the Fonz say to that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Which Safety to cut? : Cunningham? Are you saying the Patriots drafted Ritchie Cunningham? Wow, what will the Fonz say to that?
    Posted by JerrySpringer

LoL, who is this guy? R U even a Patsfan?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

I would try to keep them all, each one brings something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think they are going to keep them all. The Pats have a habit of drafting safeties that they believe can play a little corner too if needed. I think the Pats will look at D-Back as a whole and just keep the best guys if there is a surplus there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I just hope they all finally learn how to play the position.  I'm sick of seeing the opposition converting 3rd and shorts, 3rd and longs and 3rd downs in general.  A Red Zone stop every now and then would be cool also.
    Posted by Tcal2

Not to mention safeties getting caught flat footed and watching players run by them. It was a pretty ugly year last year all the way around. I think Spikes and a healthy Mayo could be the X-Factor on defense for us this year. I'd also like to see cornerbacks that don't play 10 Yds off the WR in the Redzone.Now that I think about it we did pretty good just to make the Playoffs last year with the kind play we got last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Which Safety to cut? : Not to mention safeties getting caught flat footed and watching players run by them. It was a pretty ugly year last year all the way around. I think Spikes and a healthy Mayo could be the X-Factor on defense for us this year. I'd also like to see cornerbacks that don't play 10 Yds off the WR in the Redzone.Now that I think about it we did pretty good just to make the Playoffs last year with the kind play we got last year.
    Posted by ewhite1065

This was maddening to me at times last year as well, but I think it goes along with their zone scheme where they prefer to keep the action in front of them and are fine with giving up the short/intermediate type gains vs. getting beat over the top.  I also think this is where you'll see the value of the upgrade in CB talent with Butler and McCourty possessing the athleticism, agility, short area quickness, instincts and ability to close quickly on the football minimizing gains after the catch or breaking up the pass.  This skill set may also allow them to give up less of a cushion at the LOS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

e and mb from what I read McCourty is supposed to be a good press corner.  That would be great for a change since there is nothing worse then a 2nd and 6 and your CB isn't even visible on your TV screen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]e and mb from what I read McCourty is supposed to be a good press corner.  That would be great for a change since there is nothing worse then a 2nd and 6 and your CB isn't even visible on your TV screen.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE

Yessir, versatile kid, with the skill set to excel in both press man and zone schemes.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

See no reason to cut any of the safeties.  Good athletes, good football players; yes, there are some shortcomings but they're fixable.

The BB approach to defense requires that all of the parts come together to funciton as a unit.  Just because a safety gets beaten doesn't necessarily mean that the safety that appears to be at fault is in fact at fault. 

Improved pash rush, upgrades at the corners, better linebacking, all will combine to make for better safety play.

My 2 cents.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

In Response to Re: Which Safety to cut? : LoL, who is this guy? R U even a Patsfan?
    Posted by datdude401

Springer is a guy who has no one around to talk to....oh, maybe a wall or four? He's looking for the attention his mommy didn't give him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

I think Chung, Meriweather, Sanders and McGowan are here to stay for a while.  BB's trying to make a strength out of a team weakness.  He's drafting for the secondary, has been developing Chung, Meriweather and McGowan.  Sanders came back into the fold at the end of last year and performed well. 

Resigning Bodden, drafting McCourty and continuing to develop Butler and Wilhite will make them a tough team to pass against.  If the opposing QB has to hold the ball a little longer, then we have more opportunities to get sacks.  We've added Spikes and Cunningham who seem to work well together at Florida, in a similar system.  Mayo will be healthy.  Wilfork should add much needed leadership. 

If you're worried about trimming to 53 warm bodies, wouldn't it make more sense to look at our aging RB's??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Slater is also a safety...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If i had to pick one it would be McGowan. Ideally, I would like to keep all 4..not counting Lockett or Slater. Don't care much for either. 

How can we turn a safety into an RDE?...Anybody have any suggestions for a trade or two that might be beneficial for both teams? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If i had to pick one it would be McGowan. Ideally, I would like to keep all 4..not counting Lockett or Slater. Don't care much for either.  How can we turn a safety into an RDE?...Anybody have any suggestions for a trade or two that might be beneficial for both teams? 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Gerrard Warren is a solid defensive lineman, what more do you want...  he is roughly the same age as Seymour but at a lower salary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

None of them are getting cut. This team has talent, youth, experience, and depth at safety. Next season they will have one of the best groups of safeties out there. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

i guess sanders wants to start and couldnt he be a starting safety on other teams? and the same with mcgowan

Sections
Shortcuts