White To Supplant Vereen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

White To Supplant Vereen?

"

4. James White is Making It Known He’s Not Just a 3rd Down Option:
    White the rookie running back from Wisconsin was initially envisioned to be a viable 3rd down option with Shane Vereen. While that hasn’t changed, White has turned heads in the first week and is getting a lot of work in the running game as well as in the passing game.

He’s looked very comfortable in the offense like he’s a 2nd or 3rd year veteran and has drawn the praise of Tom Brady for his work ethic and a penchant for not making the same mistake twice. We wrote earlier that he’s comfortable, despite his size running between the tackles and has shown that thus far. White is a sure-handed ball carrier and is in-line for a bigger load moving forward.

- See more at: http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/4/#sthash.Uo9J5jNR.dpuf" rel="nofollow">http://patspub.patsfans.com/2014/08/04/six-takeaways-from-the-patriots-training-camp-so-far/4/#sthash.Uo9J5jNR.dpuf

my guess is unlikely; unless Vereen got hurt.

"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: White To Supplant Vereen?

If White eats into anyone's playing time it is more likely to be Ridley than Vereen imo.  Vereen is a matchup nightmare and can always split out wide (meaning he and White could conceivably be on the field together) whereas Ridley is really a 1st and 2nd down guy and not much of a receiving threat meaning he has to be in the backfield if he is on the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well, Ridley can't hold onto the ball and Vereen can't stay healthy.  Time for a change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If White eats into anyone's playing time it is more likely to be Ridley than Vereen imo.  Vereen is a matchup nightmare and can always split out wide (meaning he and White could conceivably be on the field together) whereas Ridley is really a 1st and 2nd down guy and not much of a receiving threat meaning he has to be in the backfield if he is on the field.

[/QUOTE]
    ^ This

Vareen is safe as long as he stays healthy. He has the best hands of all the backs and knows the system, however he may be taking some of Ridley's carries for a few reason. White is likely the heir apparent and they would like to ease him in so he is ready next year to carry more of the load. He has a history of good ball security and he is mature.(Ridley wears one piece pjs) and is a fast learner.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves yet. White has yet to be tackled in an NFL game yet so lets him see what the NFL game is like before he "give" him anyones job. I still think its back by committee and when you consider Blount is gone, I dont see much changing except Blount is out, White is in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I hope he cuts into Ridley's carries, I think he has a little more talent running the ball than maybe it was forecast when he came out...perhaps much more...we will find out soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

How will replace bolden and next year start replacing Ridley with Vereen resigning.

White May be a 3 down back next year.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I don't think BB will want to keep both Ridley and Vereen next year when both of their contracts are up.  If I had to choose one I would choose Vereen, only because he is a much bigger threat when he touches the ball, and has a greater diversity in what kind of plays you could run with him.  One vet has to make way for a rookie when it comes to balancing the books, my initial guess like others here would be Ridley, even though Vereen and White are more similar. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think this year will determine who stays of Vereen and Ridley. Both have knocks...Ridley with his fumbling and Vereen with injury. 

As someone else said, I would really like to see both Vereen and white on the field together, both in the backfield, with Gronk, hooman/jones and Edelman, etc. from there bb could keep them both back, split Vereen, split Gronk, etc. we could have and endless number of plays from that personnel grouping, with both backs being able to run and catch, Gronk being able to catch and block, and Edelman being able to play slot, outside. That was the beauty when we had AH as TE. I think that type of flexibility exists in having Vereen and white on the field together. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I predict 1,000 total yards for each Ridley and Vareen this year. White gets #3 carries like most rookie RB's do in our system and probably takes over for the guy we let walk next off season.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not to be the moist comforter on this White-fest but shouldn't we wait just an RCH longer before anointing this guy as the next Emmitt Smith?  I'm not saying the guy isn't good nor am I saying he won't be everything that the thread seems to indicate he will be.  I'm merely saying that the Pats haven't even played their first pre-season game yet. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not to be the moist comforter on this White-fest but shouldn't we wait just an RCH longer before anointing this guy as the next Emmitt Smith?  I'm not saying the guy isn't good nor am I saying he won't be everything that the thread seems to indicate he will be.  I'm merely saying that the Pats haven't even played their first pre-season game yet. 

[/QUOTE]

Crazy aint it. I like what Im hearing but I just cant get all giddy before Ive even seem him play a game. They guy could go out and fumble on his 1st 3 carries...and it still would not mean much. He is gonna make the team, that everyone agrees with. We should get plenty of looks at him during the year.

Sections
Shortcuts