Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time

Not a bad job rating them, although Brady should be before Steve Young

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time

Here are the 10 greatest QBs of all time:  ( According to Whitlock )

1. John Elway: Tremendous athleticism. He was Vince Young, except he could throw it accurately to any place on the field. Defensive coordinators and safeties feared his long arm so much that running backs Gaston Green, Bobby Humphrey and Sammy Winder all earned Pro Bowl berths taking handoffs from Elway. But the myth is Elway benefitted from Terrell Davis and Davis didn't benefit from Elway. Elway made the Broncos relevant and dangerous for 16 straight years.

2. Joe Montana: In 10 seasons as a full-time starter in San Francisco, Montana won four Super Bowls, three SB MVPs and two AP league MVPs. He finishes No. 2 because he's not as big, strong and athletic as Elway. Montana excelled in a rhythm and timing passing game. How would he perform in the era when DBs were actually allowed to defend receivers?

3. Johnny Unitas: On this, I defer to the old-timers who swear Mr. Unitas was as good as the modern QBs. He tossed 32 touchdowns in 1959! He led 34 fourth-quarter comebacks, which is second-best all time. He was MVP of the league three times and first-team all-pro five times. He dominated and defined the position throughout the 1960s.

4. Dan Marino: I don't care that he never won a Super Bowl. The dude was awesome. Marino -- not Elway -- holds the record for fourth-quarter comeback victories with 36. Elway is credited with 47, but indisputable research at profootball-reference.com proves that Marino is the real record holder. Marino set the table for the game we have today. His 48-TD, 5,000-yard sophomore season is the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain's 50-points-a-game season.

5. Steve Young: You could make a strong case for Young being No. 2 behind Elway. He's just as athletic as Elway. Problem is, Young's resume isn't quite long enough to justify it. He had seven great seasons in San Francisco. He rode the bench behind Montana for four seasons, wasted two seasons in Tampa Bay and two seasons in the USFL. In seven seasons as a starter, Young made the Pro Bowl seven times, was all-pro three times, won the league's MVP award twice and won a Super Bowl and SB MVP trophy.

6. Tom Brady: Every name listed above his quarterbacked at least one losing team. Brady has never led a loser. Never. To me, he epitomizes winning at the QB position, even more than Montana. Joe had Jerry Rice for two of his four Super Bowl victories. Brady won three Super Bowls with Troy Brown. Brady is a combination old-school, new-school quarterback.

7. Brett Favre: He owns all the records good and bad. He's durable. He's courageous. Teammates love to play with him. He would be a star in the 1920s. It's popular to trash Favre now. The game of football is far better with him than without him. If he comes back next season and gets a second Super Bowl, no one will ever doubt his greatness.

8. Peyton Manning: He might one day move into the top five of this list. But not today. Manning is perfect for the Madden video game era. You put him in the 1960s and 1970s -- when defenders could beat up QBs -- and he just might be Jim Everett. Remember the scrambling play Eli Manning made to win XLII? Peyton would have never made that play because he would've fallen to the ground long before a defender touched him. Again, I like Peyton. He just has some work to do before we overlook his shortcomings and anoint him.

9. Roger Staubach: People forget he missed four seasons because of his commitment to the Naval Academy. He was a 27-year-old rookie in 1969. Think of what his career might have been without his service to our country. He won two Super Bowls and was a six-time Pro Bowler despite an abbreviated career.

10. Fran Tarkenton: He was a great player in two decades -- the 1960s and '70s. He quarterbacked the Vikings to three Super Bowl appearances. He played 18 seasons. He could scramble. He was an accurate passer, completing 60 percent of his passes five of his final six seasons. This was long before a 60-precent completion rate was common place. We often overlook Tarkenton's sustained greatness.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think Brady should be ahead of Young Also.
    I also am of the opinion that Dan Marino is the Best QB I've seen in my 44 years.And that comes from someone who despises the Dolphins. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

No way, montana #1, Elway/Brady 2a 2b, no way Unitas is ranked that high. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Marino like Manning is a stat compiler.  It's wonderful and all and will get you into the hall of fame but Greatness wins Championships

Brady is ahead of Marino, Young and Elway.  Then again lists are for grocery shopping, nothing more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrAJA. Show DrAJA's posts

In Response to Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time:
    Marino like Manning is a stat compiler.  It's wonderful and all and will get you into the hall of fame but Greatness wins Championships Brady is ahead of Marino, Young and Elway.  Then again lists are for grocery shopping, nothing more.
    Posted by Tcal2

Agreed, Brady is ahead of Young, at least, for sure

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

whitlock is a racist!!! why doesnt he have a black qb on his list?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

whitlock is a racist!!! why doesnt he have a black qb on his list?
    Posted by sirpinochle

LOL, Whitlock can't win in your eyes.

with out sounding racist, which black QB would make the top 10? the only one closest is McNair, and he lost a SB.

plain and simple there has not been a black QB yet that has put up the numbers equal to these elite QBs, when there is I'm sure he'll get his due

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I don't disagree much with your players but somewhat with the order you have them in.

No way would i put elway as #1. He's #5 or 6 at best.

as a homer, I'd put montana and brady as 1a and 1b, followed by marino. manning and favre have be to next, as much as I dislike both of the f*in prima donnas. then young.

I'd also find a place in there for terry bradshaw, ahead of tarkington and staubach.

Can't really comment on unitas; along with guys like bart starr, they're such ancient history I've never seen either play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

Brett Favre in top 10; ridiculous; Elway #1 ridiculous; leaving Otto Graham, Bart Starr and Troy Aikman off the list ridiculous. Sammy Baugh and Trry Bradshaw not in top 10, ridiculous. what about Sammy Baugh ???????????????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I don't disagree much with your players but somewhat with the order you have them in. No way would i put elway as #1. He's #5 or 6 at best. as a homer, I'd put montana and brady as 1a and 1b, followed by marino. manning and favre have be to next, as much as I dislike both of the f*in prima donnas. then young.   I'd also find a place in there for terry bradshaw, ahead of tarkington and staubach. Can't really comment on unitas; along with guys like bart starr, they're such ancient history I've never seen either play.
    Posted by unclealfie

I agree with you somewhat Alfie..Those are actually Whitlocks #'s. As far as QB's go I'd bump Elway Down a couple and Move Marino to the top. I still think Brady has some years and could Possibly pass them all. As a Pats fan and living on the east coast I got to see Marino play a lot. I still haven't seen a QB with a Quicker release. He was an ace at reading Defenses and would burn you if you blitzed him. He had a cannon for an arm and about the best deep ball you can throw. He carried mediocre teams on his back for many years when Miami didn't seem to care much about running the ball.Marino was the true Gunslinger at QB.

It's pretty tough to gauge because all of these guys are great. I never got see Unitas play and everyone knows how great Montana is.If Brady Puts up a couple more 4000 yd seasons and can win one more SB most of these lists will move him to the top.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewLaw. Show NewLaw's posts

So i want to know what Brady has to do to become the undisputed greatest QB of all time, another SB or two, anotehr MVP?

Also some people haven't metioned Bradshaw although he is overrated imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

Not putting Terry Bradshaw in there is Rediculous. Espically putting John Elway in there and at number 1 shows how stupid Dumlock is.
    John United doesnt even belong in the top 10.
    Number ! is Joe Montana
    num 2 is Bradshaw
    3 is Brady
    also here is the argument for the ages, Dan Marino
    I watched him growing up, yes he was good, but his temper and his heroics lost them the big games, Im sorry but he may hold records, he had 2 of the best recievers in the game, most teams dont have 1. I would put Laces out Dan as number 10 and a half, sorry no super bowls means you couldnt lead your team, and he had the team to do it with at least 2 times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Brett Favre in top 10; ridiculous; Elway #1 ridiculous; leaving Otto Graham, Bart Starr and Troy Aikman off the list ridiculous. Sammy Baugh and Trry Bradshaw not in top 10, ridiculous. what about Sammy Baugh ???????????????
    Posted by pumpkin12446

Do you have any actual arguments to support your position other than calling those choices with which you disagree "ridiculous"?

Have you ever actually seen graham, baugh OR starr play?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

In Response to Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time : Do you have any actual arguments to support your position other than calling those choices with which you disagree "ridiculous"? Have you ever actually seen graham, baugh OR starr play?
    Posted by unclealfie

Yeah and whut about Doug Tootie Flutie huh!
    Oh and Tony Eason and Sandra Day Oconer, she was a lesbian but had an awsome arm!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

marino is the easy #1...his 48 tds in 84 are more impressive than brady or manning because the game was still even between offense and defense...or more so than it is today anyways...and elway gets ranked high because no one has more wins than him at QB all-time...brady and manning are top 5 though of course

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Since you can't make a list of the greats without looking at both numbers and wins how about we list the greatest stat guys, list the greatest win guys and then see which guys are on both lists.  I'd put it like this:

Stat guys                    Winners

Marino                         Montana-4
    Manning                       Bradshaw-4
    Favre                          Brady-3
    Unitas                         Aikman-3
    Young                         Bart Starr-2
    Brady                          Bob Griese-2
    Warner                        Roger Staubach-2
    Montana                      Jim Plunkett-2
    Moon                          John Elway-2
    Brees                          Ben Roethlisberger-2

Some people might think this methodology is wrong (and it's certainly not perfect) but I would only put 2 guys on both those lists.  Obviously it's easier to throw now than in the past but I don't know how to prorate that disadvantage that pre 1978 QB's had.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time : Yeah and whut about Doug Tootie Flutie huh! Oh and Tony Eason and Sandra Day Oconer, she was a lesbian but had an awsome arm!
    Posted by alcondragon

Don't be silly, O'Connor is nothing more then a fair weather Dome QB.  Now Charo was a true great.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time :  Now Charo was Posted by Tcal2

NEGAME's better

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

i love brady, but to say manning has more to do is silly forget best QB he is the best player in the NFL.  4 time mvp more than brady, montana,bradshaw, together. 50,000 yards passing 366 td and rotten teams. 5or 6 years left the numbers will be staggering.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

A good list by Whitlock.  Few people would put Elway #1 but I like his arguments.  In retrospect Elway dragged some medioce Bronco teams almost single handedly to the Super Bowl where they were annihilated before getting his rings with TD.  Those late 80's early 90's Broncos had no big time receivers and no RBs.  The only other player to win big with such a weak supporting cast is Brady. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

russgriswold, i love the pats, its easy to say he only should have won 2 mvps but its 4 and no other player NFL history has done that. bradys super bowl years 2004 number1 defense  2003 number2 defense 2001number4 defense. you gave manning that kind of defense its over.        ((dome or parking lot ))     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

I don't like Elway at #1.  I don't care what Whitlock says, Elway didn't win until the Broncos were a run first offense.  The AFC was terrible during the late 80's when Elway was losing Super Bowls.  He is top 5 but no way do I rank him #1.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

In Response to Re: Whitlock`s Top 10 QBs of all-time : Do you have any actual arguments to support your position other than calling those choices with which you disagree "ridiculous"? Have you ever actually seen graham, baugh OR starr play?
    Posted by unclealfie

Hey unclealfie; I dont see any arguments you presented above.  As a matter of fact, I think you should look at my feedback compared to yours and you'll probably find out we have more in agreement than your comment above implies (e.g Bradshaw, Elway not belonging as #1 etc).

Re/Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham, no I haven't seen them play, but this doesn't necessarily mean I don't have an informed opinion about them, especially since they invented the QB position in the NFL and played at a consistent high level.  You might want to Add Norm VanBrocklin to that list as well !!!  Relative to Starr, yes I saw him play and he was the best during his time and won 3 superbowls, I believe and I think 1 or 2 MVPs.  Therefore, Starr ahead of Tarkenton is a no-brainer.

Is that enough for you ?????????????????????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

i love brady, but to say manning has more to do is silly forget best QB he is the best player in the NFL.  4 time mvp more than brady, montana,bradshaw, together. 50,000 yards passing 366 td and rotten teams. 5or 6 years left the numbers will be staggering.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99

4 time MVP does not even come close to 3 time Super Bowl winning QB and Superbowl MVP; Tom has more SB wins than all 3 of the Manning's (Archie, Peyton and Eli).  and by the way, the best QB in the Manning family, if you look at athleticism, like some idiot Elway and Tarkenton fans, is by far Archie Manning.