Who are the Top Ten WR's of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Who are the Top Ten WR's of all time?

So found out late last night T.O. tore his ACL. As much as i hate to admit it i checked out espn and heard Cris Carter commenting on if he could comeback etc. When asked where he ranks all time , Carter said that he was absolutely a top 5 guy in terms of this era , but not top ten all time. Im almost out the door for work and will be back to post my list later. Im curious to hear what you guys think. I can tell you this i dont know exactly where , but T.O. , as much as i dont care for him , is def. a top ten all time WR imo. Ill be back around 10 to check in and post mine. Let the debate begin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Who are the Top Ten WR's of all time?

Irvin was part of such a prolific Offense, and it's tempting to say Rice due to his sheer absurd numbers of yards and receptions...  But in terms of doing more without a HOF Best QB in NFL History, & such an insane stacked Offense at the time, I'll give Chris Carter the nod over Steve Largent...  I like possession receivers you can absolutely count on regardless, so imho Moss who became seemingly 1 dimensional in terms of deep threat, very early on (after 1st 5 Season's with Vikes), is out of the #1 discussion (in my eyes).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

You should have stuck with your 1st impression Laz, Jerry Rice all the way. Dependable, reliable, fast, was the best at running routes, great at eluding tackles.........oh yeah, and all the rings and ridiculous stats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Don't care about top 10 or what Chris Carter says....Jerry Rice best all time without any doubt about it. After that....it just doesn't matter because nobody was even close...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

#1 Jerry Rice
    #2 Don Houston
    #3 Randy Moss
    #4 Tim Brown
    #5 Paul Warfield
    #6 Micheal Irvin
    #7 Lynn Swann
    #8 Chris Carter
    #9 Steve Largent
    #10 James Lofton

Honerable mention: TO, Marvin Harrison, Art Monk, Raymond Berry, Andy Reed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

chad jackson
    bethel johnson
    bugeye caldwell
    that free agent bum from detroit ~what's his name (didn't finish the year)
    patrick (oh my hammie drop the ball) pass
    the guy who killed the guy with his car~what's his name
    ben stonehands watson

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In fairness, you have you have 2 lists: one for the time when you could maul the WR at the line and all the way down the field, and one for when they changed the rules to touch football. 

But Rice would top the list no matter when he played.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

#1 Jerry Rice
    #2 Don Hudson
    #3 Randy Moss
    #4 Bob Hayes
    #5 Andre Johnson
    #6 Tim Brown
    #7 Paul Warfield
    #8 Lance Alworth
    #9 Steve Largent
    #10 Marvin Harrison
    #11 bonus Wes Welker --NOT a homer selection!

Some of you never saw football in the old days. For example, Bob Hayes would still be the fastest guy on the field unless the world 100M champion from Jamaica suited up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

How old are you guys? Anybody remember Raymond Berry? The WR of course. I go 1. Rice 2. Berry 3. Hutson. 4. Moss 5. Allworth. 6. Cris Carter. 7 Harrison 8 Fred Belitnicoff. 9 Largent. 10.Lofton. Hon mention Andre Johnson, Warfield,T.O.,Michael Irvin.  Lynn Swann is overrated. He won 4 Super Bowls and made spectacular catches but check his stats. Not so dominant. But obviously this is a generational thing. I'm 53 so I  remember the 60's and 70's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

rain - Hayes was good but no better then Stanley Morgan (completely different talents though). He put up great numbers in his first couple years but steadily declined in his career. He just doesn't have the numbers for me to break the top 10. I wasn't around when he played but watching film he had one of the most graceful strides I have ever seen

I have to question Andre Johnson as of right now. If he can put 4 more seasons together like he has the last 4 then no doubt he'd be top 10, top 5 might be pushing it but right now not sure if he cracks top 10. Just needs a couple more years.

Alworth is a great name I forgot. 3 seasons in a row he averaged more then 100yrds per game. 7 seasons with a 1000+ yrds in a row. Def a top 15

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Attempting to look per usual, Outside of the Lines RE: Chris Carter here guys...  Uggh: Jerry Rice=No-brainer...I mean the guy has something f'n absurd, like 10,000, yes=10,thoooousand more receiving yards than the next guy...but let's put some drama, flare, & novel insight into the the offered discussion.  Yes=Rice A#1...big whoop, great news flash.  I remember the game when Rice finally tied the most number of receptions (career) in NFL History, and on the next play Montana or Young? under shotgun, 1 of the announcer's said something like: "Well, I believe everyone on earth KNOWS where the next play's goin'...".  BAM=Rice=All-time Reception's Leader (yes...when everyone knows the ball...the passed ball is goin' to you & only you, on a given play, and you still make that catch...then, yes=you're past "good").

Some quick other random thoughts here: The poster who said that we have to account for the no-touch rules on wideouts & new definitions for "Peyton Interference" nailed it...let alone the "Ty Law Rule" as it's commonly known, giving wideouts freer releases, and shorter areas to be jammed at the LOS...but it doesn't even stop there: Also gotta consider these days with so many multiple receiver threats on some given plays, where defense's are VERY often outnumbered in terms of talented CBs (using a 3rd CB, some cr#ppy nickel-guy to cover any decent wideout), not to mention in many instances, the extreme development of the short passing game now, which has foresaken in many ways, more of the running game... SEE: Marvin Harrison & Wes Welker (sorry Wes)

Finally, I don't (nor do many people) know alot about the likes of Don Maynard, even Don Hutson, let alone our own Raymond Berry, Don Maynard, Paul Warfield, Charley Taylor, etc., etc..  I'm at least "attempting" to do this from what I've seen, knownn through the development of extensive filming...what-have-you... Perhaps since the AFL-NFL merger, 1st SB Days... 

Lastly, in terms of 1 wide receiver: Lynn Swann...He could quite possibly be, not simply THE most overrated wideout EVER in the history of football (I mean, he is this...by a landslide), but he certainly could make any Top 10 List of the most overrated players ever to play the game at any position.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know now that I think about it Laz you're right about Lynn Swann. I don't even know why I listed him truthfully it's like I lost control of my body and had to include him in my list. And did you ever notice he's always #7 on like everyone's list too?

OK revision. Take Swann out, move everyone up 1 spot, and make either Monk or Reed #10. It's hard to choose between the 2

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

No doubt about Swann being overrated. i thought that goes without saying these days , the guy caught what 340 something balls all time. Def. agree with pointing out the different eras , but great players could play in any era. And as far as rules goes i think serious fans understand that todays D is a joke. The past few seasons have been a joke. And the style Blount played back in the 70's was almost just as bad except for the complete opposite reason. You cant mug a guy 25-30 yards down the field and call it sport. Here goes mine in no real order...

Rice

Moss

Irvin

Carter

Harrison

Owens

Largent

Warfield

Taylor ... Hon. mention Bruce , Holt , Monk , Hutson , Berry etc. Theres probably 10-15 guys that could make the 7-10 spots on most peoples list and the few above would def. be good choices imo. I wouldnt have a problem if someone wanted to put Fitz or AJ on there at 8-10 either. Those guys will be on it someday soon imo , its a young mans game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Got a little ahead of myself with hon mentions , I meant to put Tim Brown in there at the end.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I can't think of a clearer GOAT at any position in any sport than Jerry Rice. Doubting him as "the best ever" is just insanity.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Who are the Top Ten WR's of all time?:
    [QUOTE]I can't think of a clearer GOAT at any position in any sport than Jerry Rice. Doubting him as "the best ever" is just insanity.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Wayne Gretzky begs to differ!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If you were a wide receiver in the NFL, wouldn't you want your best highlights to come from playing in Super Bowls? Lynn Swann's were. You could argue Pittsburgh doesn't win all those Super Bowls without him. That said he didn't make my top ten. Smile

1 Jerry Rice
    2 Don Hutson
    3 Randy Moss
    4 Terrell Owens
    5 Cris Carter
    6 Marvin Harrison
    7 Steve Largent
    8 Lance Alworth
    9 Michael Irvin
    10 Paul Warfield
    10 Charley Taylor

Honorable mention
    James Lofton
    Fred Biletnikoff
    Charlie Joiner
    Lynn Swann
    John Stallworth
    James Lofton
    Art Monk
    Isaac Bruce
    Andre Reed
    Tim Brown
    Jimmy Smith
    Charley Hennigan - never heard of him 'til today.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's my list, I'll break things down with 1975 being the cut off:

Career started after 1975:
    Jerry Rice
    Michael Irvin
    Steve Largent
    Andre Johnson
    Tim Brown or Chris Carter

Career started before 1975:
    Raymond Berry
    Don Hutson
    Don Maynard
    Lance Alworth
    Fred Biletnikoff or Elroy Hirsh

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]chad jackson bethel johnson bugeye caldwell that free agent bum from detroit ~what's his name (didn't finish the year) patrick (oh my hammie drop the ball) pass the guy who killed the guy with his car~what's his name ben stonehands watson
    Posted by Harleyroadking-11[/QUOTE]

Milk out of the freaking nose funny HRK!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]If you were a wide receiver in the NFL, wouldn't you want your best highlights to come from playing in Super Bowls? Lynn Swann's were. You could argue Pittsburgh doesn't win all those Super Bowls without him. That said he didn't make my top ten. 1 Jerry Rice 2 Don Hutson 3 Randy Moss 4 Terrell Owens 5 Cris Carter 6 Marvin Harrison 7 Steve Largent 8 Lance Alworth 9 Michael Irvin 10 Paul Warfield 10 Charley Taylor Honorable mention James Lofton Fred Biletnikoff Charlie Joiner Lynn Swann John Stallworth James Lofton Art Monk Isaac Bruce Andre Reed Tim Brown Jimmy Smith Charley Hennigan - never heard of him 'til today.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    The Steelers won those Super Bowls with their defense. The last two in 78 and 79 their offense was a lot better but they won with one of the greatest defenses of all time. And maybe the greatest draft in 1974. Swann also had Stallworth on the other side.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]How anyone can leave Art Monk or Tim Brown off their list just seems insane to me. Tim Brown was right under Rice as far as being one of the best of his era. And Art Monk as Rusty just pointed out is one of the most underrated players of all time. Both of those guys could have played WR during any era and still been great WR's.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Monk. He should be on my top ten list. I didn't put him in at all.

Sections
Shortcuts