Who do you keep?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Who do you keep?

I wonder if it's time to blow most of this team up and build anew.  This transition thing isn't working because the replacement guys aren't buying into the system.

Here's who I would keep:
    QB - Tom Brady
    QB - Brian Hoyer
    RB - Kevin Faulk
    WR - Randy Moss
    WR - Wes Welker
    WR - Julian Edelman
    TE - Chris Baker
    LT - Sebastian Vollmer
    LG - Logan Mankins
    C - Dan Koppen
    DE - Ty Warren
    NT - Vince Wilfork
    DE - Jarvis Green
    ILB - Jerod Mayo
    Pass Rusher - Tully Banta-Cain
    CB - Leigh Bodden
    CB - Darius Butler
    S - James Sanders
    K - Stephen Gostowski
    special teams - Matt Slater
    special teams - Sam Aiken

Guys you might keep because they're young/cheap/projects:
    LB - Tyrone McKenzie
    CB - Kyle Arrington
    S - Patrick Chung
    WR - Brandon Tate
    WR/QB - Isaiah Stanback
    OL - Rich Ornberger
    OL - Dan Connolly
    LB/SpecTeams - Rob Ninkovich

As far as I'm concerned, everyone outside of that core group can go.  This includes Maroney, Merriweather, McGowan, Light, et al.

Thoughts?

*I may have forgotten someone.  Please cut me some slack - I'm only human

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Who do you keep?

Nick, we have a franchise quarterback and as long as we have him we don't need to do any blowing up. If we had an OLB who could make plays consistantly (TBC is not good against the run whatsoever), Jabar Gaffney and a fullback to help on pass protect (Faulk is to valuable as a receiver) how many more games would we have won. We need to keep Wilfork, Mankins and Bodden (pay them). Find a pass rusher, another receiver and then fill our other needs in the draft and we should be ok. In the modern NFL it should never take you more than 2 years to rebuild if the QB is allready set. Merriweather probably didn't belong in the pro bowl but he is the closest thing they have to a playmaker out their on defense (turnovers, big hits) right now. He needs to wrap up and stop gambling back there when he's the last line of defense. I think he'll be fine. Rodney started out as a special teamer in San Diego. He learned and got better every year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Matt Slater, what's he done ? Keep McCowan  and teach Merriweather how to ( wrap up ) tackle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Chris Hanson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

McGowan is a keeper and Chung. Let Sanders go Save his 4 Million or so it would have been against the cap and replace him with Chung and McGowan, both younger and cheaper and you won't loose anything in doing that. Keep RB Taylor he is a good fit as a change of pace RB and solid backup. Let Morris go.  My question is do we keep Laura Maroney or cut him while there is no cap hit? I lean to keeping him at least through 2010 the last year on his deal maybe you get something from him due to playing for a new deal then let him go because hopefully you have drafted a RB  to be the starter from this draft.
    I will be pretty happy if we get a solid RB from this draft and have Taylor, Maroney, Faulk and Ben Jarvis-Green to fill out that spot for 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

wow lets dog our Pro Bowl safety 3 years into his career. smart. so smart.

slater hasnt done a damn thing and u want to bag Meriweather.  U know what our secondary would have looked like without him this year?  i cant even imagine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Agree with earlier post ....teach Merriweather how to tackle and, while their at it, how to catch.  He drops alot of potential picks. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

You obviously don't watch special teams closely enough - Slater is ALWAYS the first man down the field and this is hugely beneficial in a way that only people who have actually played the game and spoken to real coaches would know.  If someone can get in the returner's face immediately, he forces them to decelerate and run sideways instead of heading upfield, which helps tremendously with kick/punt coverage regardless of whether the initial pressure results in a tackle (it's easier to tackle once someone is definitively running left or right instead of having to account for the threat of both)
    I know because this was once my job (because in Mass high school football, the rules prohibit contact with long snappers, allowing me as one of the fastest kids in the conference to get clean release downfield on punts.  I was also paired as the wedge-buster for the kickoff equivalent where it was my job to get to the wedge first and break it up so the other kid could accomplish the same directive of forcing the returner to declare

And Merriweather blew the Saints game, but generally showed poor tackling throughout the year and throughout his career.  While I won't condemn a rookie like Ron Brace, I think THREE years is enough time to properly assess trends.  At this point, you know what he is (he WOULDN'T be a Pro Bowler without a injuries to THREE superior safeties: Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders, and Jairus Byrd).

Lastly, McGowan was TERRIBLE in zone coverage - among other gaffs, he cost the Pats the first game against the Jets by giving up the touchdown to Keller because he messed up his zone assignment.  They say he also botched coverages as the year progressed after the Saints game (a huge failure for both safeties), culminating in the return of James Sanders to the starting lineup.

I stand by my opinions.

Sections
Shortcuts