Who gets early contract extensions:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Who gets early contract extensions:

Who will the team try to lock up early to avoid giving up leverage in the future?

First on the list of 2012 contracts I see Vollmer and Chung as most difficult to  replace on that list of players.

Next on the list of 2013 contracts I see Gronkowski,Hernandez,and Spikes.

With @ 14 mill. in cap space and no big free agent deal on the horizon it looks like a good time to spend some of that space on renegotiating a few contracts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Who gets early contract extensions:

I think both Chung and Vollmer need to show they can stay on the field before extensions and bonus are offered.
    Pats are still not so happy with Hernandez off the field. He needs to mature and has been told so in no uncertain terms.
    I also wouldnt discount additional S help (Ihedigbo? Grant?) 
    If you look at approximate slot for the 2 first rd draft choices and assume Pats want to carry $5-6 ml during the season, the available $$$ is more like $3-5 mil. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions::
    [QUOTE]I think both Chung and Vollmer need to show they can stay on the field before extensions and bonus are offered. Pats are still not so happy with Hernandez off the field. He needs to mature and has been told so in no uncertain terms. I also wouldnt discount additional S help (Ihedigbo? Grant?)  If you look at approximate slot for the 2 first rd draft choices and assume Pats want to carry $5-6 ml during the season, the available $$$ is more like $3-5 mil. 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Hanvent seen or heard anything about the Pats not being happy with Hernanadez off the field? What has he gotten into now?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I think both Chung and Vollmer need to show they can stay on the field before extensions and bonus are offered. Pats are still not so happy with Hernandez off the field. He needs to mature and has been told so in no uncertain terms. I also wouldnt discount additional S help (Ihedigbo? Grant?)  If you look at approximate slot for the 2 first rd draft choices and assume Pats want to carry $5-6 ml during the season, the available $$$ is more like $3-5 mil. 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the Pats usually use the $5-6mil during the season to extend players with so they do have a ton of money to use during the season for extensions ($6-10 mil most likely)

As for Chung and Vollmer, this would be the best time to extend if you trust your medical staff. Coming off of injury pledged seasons they will be cheaper now then if they go a full season without injury and add a pro-bowl to their names. That's one thing I never understood about the Pats philosophy. They are always seeking value but they extend before they absolutely need to. For example Welker. The perfect time to extend would have been after 10'. He had the year under his belt to prove he was healthy but it was close enough to the injury you might have gotten a decent deal for him. Additionally knowing that his contract was up after 11' and that contract averages only go up signing him after the 10' season would also cost less, in terms of per year average, then it would have now. Sometimes it's not the best idea to let players hit FA and it's better to wrap them up early because you pay a bit more up front but in the long run you end up paying less. Then again the Pats system, no matter how frustrating, has worked up until now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : Yes, but the Pats usually use the $5-6mil during the season to extend players with so they do have a ton of money to use during the season for extensions ($6-10 mil most likely) As for Chung and Vollmer, this would be the best time to extend if you trust your medical staff. Coming off of injury pledged seasons they will be cheaper now then if they go a full season without injury and add a pro-bowl to their names. That's one thing I never understood about the Pats philosophy. They are always seeking value but they extend before they absolutely need to. For example Welker. The perfect time to extend would have been after 10'. He had the year under his belt to prove he was healthy but it was close enough to the injury you might have gotten a decent deal for him. Additionally knowing that his contract was up after 11' and that contract averages only go up signing him after the 10' season would also cost less, in terms of per year average, then it would have now. Sometimes it's not the best idea to let players hit FA and it's better to wrap them up early because you pay a bit more up front but in the long run you end up paying less. Then again the Pats system, no matter how frustrating, has worked up until now.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

They tried to extend Welker last off season and throughout the 11 season - that is when he turned down the 2/16M all guarateed. It takes two to tango as they say.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : Yes, but the Pats usually use the $5-6mil during the season to extend players with so they do have a ton of money to use during the season for extensions ($6-10 mil most likely) As for Chung and Vollmer, this would be the best time to extend if you trust your medical staff. Coming off of injury pledged seasons they will be cheaper now then if they go a full season without injury and add a pro-bowl to their names. That's one thing I never understood about the Pats philosophy. They are always seeking value but they extend before they absolutely need to. For example Welker. The perfect time to extend would have been after 10'. He had the year under his belt to prove he was healthy but it was close enough to the injury you might have gotten a decent deal for him. Additionally knowing that his contract was up after 11' and that contract averages only go up signing him after the 10' season would also cost less, in terms of per year average, then it would have now. Sometimes it's not the best idea to let players hit FA and it's better to wrap them up early because you pay a bit more up front but in the long run you end up paying less. Then again the Pats system, no matter how frustrating, has worked up until now.

I still dont see the numbers adding up showing $6-$10 to extend. I believe the Pats after the Ebert signing have about $13 mil in cap space. Assuming approx $6 for rookies and approx $6 for in season moves, that doesnt leave a lot of space. I am assuming "in season moves" to be reserved for a FA signing in case of injury.
    Of course it is fluid, and can change based on Wes signing a contract rather than the tag. Also, potential CAP numbers include;
    Waters-$2
    Brace-$700
    Branch-$1
    Barrett-$1
    White-$600
    Wendell-$600
    Gonzo-$700
    Depending on who is cut will also greatly impact the numbers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : They tried to extend Welker last off season and throughout the 11 season - that is when he turned down the 2/16M all guarateed. It takes two to tango as they say.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

They tried to extend him during the season, I don't remember a report of them trying to extend him before the season. It might not seem like much of a difference but I hold fast to the thought that it's easier to extend a players at the start of an off-season then it is to try to extend them once mini-camps starter, and even harder once the reg season starts. Besides 2yrs I think was the sticking point if after the 10' season they extended him 3 additional years they would of had 11' (yr 1), 12' (yr 2), and 13', 14'. As apposed to when they tried to extend him 2 yrs during the season which would have extended him to 13'. So coming to him right after the 10' season instead of in the middle of 11' season you could have presented a much more appealing contract (in terms of length) with only 1 additional year that might not have been guaranteed and it would have been a more appealing contract because it would essentially be a 4yr contract starting before the 11' season instead of the 2yr offer in the middle of the 11' season. It's all about presentation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kfanning75. Show Kfanning75's posts

RKARP can you cite your source regarding the Pats discontent for Hernandez' off-field behavior? Link to an article?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : I still dont see the numbers adding up showing $6-$10 to extend. I believe the Pats after the Ebert signing have about $13 mil in cap space. Assuming approx $6 for rookies and approx $6 for in season moves, that doesnt leave a lot of space. I am assuming "in season moves" to be reserved for a FA signing in case of injury. Of course it is fluid, and can change based on Wes signing a contract rather than the tag. Also, potential CAP numbers include; Waters-$2 Brace-$700 Branch-$1 Barrett-$1 White-$600 Wendell-$600 Gonzo-$700 Depending on who is cut will also greatly impact the numbers
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

The numbers come from if they are sitting at $13mil currently after they finish signing the rest of the rooks they will be between $8-10mil. That's the amount they have to resign during the season. Yes they usually keep a reserve to sign players due to injury but after about 6 weeks into the season any players that are IR'd they salary is taken off the book and that remaining space is usually more then enough to cover a signing off the street. So, unless they make vet signings before week 6 that could potentially affect the cap number if they go into the season with the estimated cap space then that's what they have to spend in that year. For the most part BB tends to use that cap space in Nov and Dec to extend players and by the end of the season usually (last year was an exception) spends right up to the cap after extensions are handed out. It's doesn't mean they will spend it but any space they have heading into the season can be used for extension signings during the season (ala Nink, Woodhead, Mayo)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Hernandez
    Gronkowski

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Brady.  His cap hit is too high in 13,14

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: :  Yes they usually keep a reserve to sign players due to injury but after about 6 weeks into the season any players that are IR'd they salary is taken off the book and that remaining space is usually more then enough to cover a signing off the street.
    This is 100% incorrect.  Unless a player's contract specifies that he takes a pay cut if placed on IR (which is usual only for borderline players), there is no cap relief when placing a player on IR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : This is 100% incorrect.  Unless a player's contract specifies that he takes a pay cut if placed on IR (which is usual only for borderline players), there is no cap relief when placing a player on IR.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

I'll dbl check but I'm pretty sure that the remainder of the players salary owed during the season isn't counted against the cap once placed on IR (Not including being released). For example if a player is paid $16mil that year and is injury after 6 weeks which he is placed on IR then the team still needs to pay the player $10mil but that remaining $10mil does not count towards the cap within that year and extra cap space cannot be transferred to another year.

But that could have changed in the last CBA. Then again most off the street players play for min salary for remainder of the season anyways

EDIT: I spent all of five minutes looking for the official rule and gave up so I'll concede and say you're right, but even so how much money does it actually cost them to sign players off the street? I can't imagine it being more the a mil per season total

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

@Pateng i was under the impression thats how IR worked also, but i believe someone proved me wrong at some point earlier this spring.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Who gets early contract extensions:": [QUOTE]RKARP can you cite your source regarding the Pats discontent for Hernandez' off-field behavior? Link to an article? Posted by Kfanning75[/QUOTE] No link, no article. A lot of people photo'd him last month at Greenhouse in the Village not doing the right thing. It quickly got back to the Pats of course

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I could see Hernandez getting extended in the near future. He might fall into the Ty Warren catagory of a few years ago. With another stud at his position on the team that will command a huge payday in a year or two, better to get the long term security now and take a little less then you would if you waited.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

This might be the worst post on this board ever. BB LOVES hernandez because what he does on the field as a dynamic player. Second he was never had any off the field issues recently neither has any pat. Also PAT CHUNG is a good young safety who is oft injured you reli wana replace him with Ihedbho or grant? deon grant who is like 40?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Hernandez and Gronkowski

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Gronk.  Must get him locked up before his price totally redefines TE contracts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'd extend Chung (2012) then Spikes (2013) then Gronk (2013) then Vollmer (2012) then Hernandez (2013).  That order...

Like PatsEng says, There is a VERY good chance that you can get Chung for REAL cheap based on the massive amount of time he's missed...  He's definately a quality player, so extend him now at cheap just in case he actually makes it through a whole season with a stellar string of performances. 
         Very much the same with Spikes (but less prevalent towards Spikes' injury concerns)- THIS guy's hitting his stride in The NFL, and ever moreso, as he gets more and more of total feel for NE and The Pros, He's become INFINITELY more & more disruptive (and those guys are few and far between in the pros)- You HAVE to sign him now- Do NOT wait til he starts making Sportscenter every other week after blowing up Offensive Plays. 
         Gronk, you need a few more seconds of wait-time-  His injury plus the sheer number of his (albeit far more often than not, totally benign)- off-field wildness (again, not the instances...The NUMBER)...Gotta let the injury settle as you get a better sense of him realizing that playing Pro Football TE for The NE Patriots, is Priority #1...and #2...and #3. 
         Vollmer ONLY gets the nod before Hernandez based on the 2012 Contract (vs Hern's 2013), and the positional weight of securing an above average Starting Offensive Tackle as oppossed to an H-back pass-catching TE (even though Hernandez is exceptional...half the league doesn't even use these dual TEs, and even in the drafts you inevitably always see every guy other than THE VERY Best of the best 1 and sometimes maybe 2 H-back TEs even drafted by anyone). 
         Svx for Hernandez...but that's how smarter business must go.  But at the end, BOTH Hernandez AND Vollmer worry me greatly Injury-wise placed up against the often superb quality of their performances- Vollmer's shown he can be a stud OT...but that entire YEAR back injury simply HAD to be nothing less than pretty d#mn serious.  Same w/ Hernandez- Guy can simply be a match-up NIGHTMARE, that inevitably makes so many other offensive parcels click and run better and more smoothly...But he too, gets dinged up, based on it being a very great amount of the similar physicality of his 6'2 240lb pass-catching TE position's demands intertwining with the very same physicality of a standard 6'5 270lb TE's positional demands (taking hits from LBs, some pass-blocking of these same LB or DE beasts at times, etc., etc).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Who gets early contract extensions:": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who gets early contract extensions: : This might be the worst post on this board ever. BB LOVES hernandez because what he does on the field as a dynamic player. Second he was never had any off the field issues recently neither has any pat. Also PAT CHUNG is a good young safety who is oft injured you reli wana replace him with Ihedbho or grant? deon grant who is like 40? Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE] C'mon man. Take your 343 posts and do some research. Pictures have even been on twitter. Hern is showing immaturity, and Pats know it. Think D Clarck was invited in for a pat on the back? I don't want to replace Chung. I want him to stay on the field and show he can make plays. If he doesn't this year, he won't be resigned. At last glance, DGrant is younger than YBell.

Sections
Shortcuts