Who has been the biggest disappointment to date?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deanthedream. Show Deanthedream's posts

I realize we haven't played a regular season game yet, but I feel there have been quite a few Patriots who are playing well below the fans' and coaches' expectations of them.

Among the biggest disappointments to me are:

Offense: Maroney can't seem to get started. He should audition for a dance show. Watson can't get on the field or stay on the field. Galloway has the dropsies and doesn't have his timing with Brady down yet.

Defense: Crable looks like he's chronically in a M*A*S*H tent. Wheatley can't
    make a tackle. Shawn Springs might be terrific, if only we could see him play.

What are your thoughts? Who have I missed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: Who has been the biggest disappointment to date?

The young guys will take some time to develop.  Springs will play when the season starts and surprise us all.  I would vote for Maroney, with Watson a close second.  Maroney looks like he is healthy and will return kicks and catch some balls out of the backfield, but he still doesn't look like the guy the Pats thought they would get with a #1 pick. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

I agree. Not that his heart is even half the size of Faulks but I think they have to look at Maroney as Faulks replacement.. he just can't run at a hole..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Crable, I really thought he would step up this training camp and we would be amazed. If Maroney stops looking for the big play every time he gets the ball he might turn into a good running back and atleast he's healthy. But Crable for me, big time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

Offense:

Galloway

Watson

Note: Maroney is fine as long as he's in space (i.e. Kevin Faulk)

Defense:

Springs

Crable-this guy epitomizes fragility

Wheatley-2nd round pick a year ago looks to be regressing exponentially

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I know its easy to jump on Springs but the guy is an older player and the team does not want him to get hurt in a pre season game because clearly they have plans for him in the regular season. So I wouldnt count him as a dissapointment.

Its fair to say that Crabel and Wheatly are dissapointment because we had high hopes for both of them this year. But at the same time Jonathan Wilhite has looked liek a real pro out there and thats a plus.

Its early but I would say Burrgess has been a let down, he might know the system yet but he was sopossed to coem in and be a pass rusher and so far he has been a dud.

Adalius Thomas has been a dissapointment since we signed him. I do think that had he stayed healthy all year last year he would have had a 10 sack season no doubt but he cant stay healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Also let me just say that its really sad that a good thread like this ends up on the bottom of teh forum because people are too busy replying to bull sh*t threads from trolls like bubbakilla. how about we talk football guys instead of threads like "who is the biggest troll" seriously guys, how about when a good thread opens up we reply and when a BS thread opens up we start a real thread to push the BS to the bottom. This is BS I have to read 7 or 8 re tarded threads before i get to a good one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Too many NE fans have become like gerbils on crack ads. This is the preseason. Teams that win come together at the right time it is totally irrelevent what happens from game to game in preseason isn't like a real game(s) it's a game situation scrimmage. Nows the time coaches work on new wrinkes,schemes and approaches. Many of the schemes that haven't gone so well are either not going to be in the playbook or will be the focus of game prep practices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

No one was saying that the scheme was bad we were talking about lack of good play from people we had high hopes for. And even in the pre season guys have to play well and clearly there have been a few guys who have not lived up to their end. Its hard to beleave that Wheatly would go from not able to cover a good WR in a pre season game when no one is really trying to a guy who cant shut guys down as soon as the games count. If there is one good thing that comes out of pre season games its being able to check guys out and see how they are coming along and thats what this thread is about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

The biggest disappointment is O'Connel.  3rd round pick a year ago completely wasted - beat out by a free agent rookie at that.

You can't call anyone else a failure or likeness of until mid season unless they don't make the team.  Right now Galloway hasn't looked good, Bodden had been beaten badly a few times this preseason and Wheatley is looking like he may not make the team himself.  With that said let's see how these guys pan out over the course of a few games that matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Vinny Ciurciu(pronounced CHERCHOO), this guy is almost a clone of Tedy Bruschi yet i have not seen much of him at all, maybe he is injured, maybe he just sukks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

posted at 9/1/2009 1:50 PM EDT

Welcome to the Dating Game! I'm Chuck Barris, and we'd like to welcome today's contestant, Tony Romo!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Who has been the biggest disappointment to date?:
    [QUOTE]Vinny Ciurciu(pronounced CHERCHOO), this guy is almost a clone of Tedy Bruschi yet i have not seen much of him at all, maybe he is injured, maybe he just sukks.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]
    Ciurciu wasn't projected to be making a big impact on defense, he is more of an izzo replacement who can play defense if necessary, i did notice him on friday, it was at the end of the game so i wasnt really paying that close of attention to what was happening though

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

CB Terrence Wheatley. I literally cringe when I see him one on one with a WR.
    The same things that bothered me about how CB Ellis Hobbs played corner bother me about Wheatley. "Hey! Over here! WR! You can run me over if you want, or, you can just outjump me. I'm a shoulder bumper! Me! Over here!" 

I understand that defensive backs generally aren't built like linebackers or big strong safeties, but you can still wrap up and tackle your guy if he makes the catch on you.

The meek 'diving shoulder bump' at an offensive player's thigh or hip drives me absolutely crazy. If you want to look like a scared kicker as the last line of defense as a corner, that's the way to do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

On the offensive side of the ball: TE Alex Smith.

Mr. Invisible. Either TE Ben Watson or TE Dave Thomas should buy him a 'sorry to see you go' round that's really an 'oh, thank you' beer after he gets cut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Brady's healthy, nothing to complain about!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think the argument is based on where the player was picked in the draft and/or if picks were part of a trade.  It's hard to call guys like Springs and Galloway disappointments because they're older guys who came here as FA's without huge contracts.  They're short-term solutions.  To me, guys like O'Connell (3rd), Crable (3rd), Watson (1st), Maroney (1st), Wheatley (2nd), Burgess (3rd, 5th), Smith (5th) are bigger disappointments so far.  Watson, Maroney, Crable, and Wheatley are high draft picks with limited production.   O'Connell was a huge disappointment.  We need to see more hits in rounds 1-3.