Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

You nailed it 1-5.  McCourty is physical, love the way he mauled Roddy White on short crossing route.  Hernandez showed hands, some open field agility and pop.  Spikes is the goods.  Fragile Fred would be awesome if he can stay healthy, he finishes runs hard.  Brady is in form, don't need to see much of him, Randy or Wes next 2 games.

I was impressed by the team tackling.  Very few missed tackles.

Real nice game 2 of preseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'll throw a nod at Dan Connolly again this week.

I like the way he's moving around.

You expect a guy with his experience to be able to step in, but the o-line is thin and if this guy can deliver it's pain reliever for one of the team's biggest headaches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I thought the secondary played well as a group (even Wheatley), despite not much pass rush (broken record).  First team OL was terrific for the most part.  Sammy Morris was solid.  Crumpler too.  I like Arrington, wonder if he makes the team though?  McKenzie was active, not sure how he'll grade out though.  Seems to make a lot of tackles from behind or the side.  Not sure he's stout enough (reminds me of Barrett Ruud of Tampa).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I was at the game and one word: HOYER

The entire sideline was elated to see Hoyer do so well. Brady and Belichick were hugging the guy, Moss was picking him up and throwing him around, defense was giving him props. This kid's the real deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Excellent breakdown zb~.  Jesus, I ASSUREDLY know that this is preseason football, but honestly- We've been getting reports from prctice, games, from everyone- That this team looks SCARY Focused...I feel the exact same way after this "meaningless" game.  Now please god (i.e. commissioner of football): Can we start lowering the number of Preseason Games, I want ZERO injuries (can we simply forfeit?) & I want this focus to play into the Reg Season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats07. Show tg19pats07's posts

1. tight ends- we are set this year, all 3 played well and seem to be versatile and have solid skill sets.
    2. Brady- back and hungry to win, his attitude will help the team this year.
    3. Spikes- Love the attitude he displays( sems to be a leader) and watching the game aroun the ball alot
    4. The defensive backfiled- very young but athletic and they all will hit you Love the way Arrington throws his body around.
    I know it is preseason but it was nice to see the pats being aggressive and taking it to the other team, great balance between run and pass.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II:
    Excellent breakdown zb ~.  ... Now please god (i.e. commissioner of football): Can we start lowering the number of Preseason Games, I want ZERO injuries (can we simply forfeit?) & I want this focus to play into the Reg Season.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Especially on the OL, there's not much there there as far as depth.  LeVoir can be serviceable, but Ohrnberger and Larsen, not so much. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm at work and am not going to be albe to see any of the pre-season stuff it looks like.  I depend upon threads like this for my news on players.  Keep the thoughts coming.

Good news about Connelly.  I was expecting him to do well but the reinforcement is great.  No news about Gronk, Tate or Price? 

Defensively to hear Spikes, McCourty, Chung and Brace named is exciting.  The young guys are going to have to step up for this thing to work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

2nd string OL and Sammy Morris were impressive running the ball.

The Ghost gets actor of the week award, I give Ghost the key play on the 2nd TD.

Another example of refs changing the game, in our favor this week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'll throw a nod at Dan Connolly again this week. I like the way he's moving around. You expect a guy with his experience to be able to step in, but the o-line is thin and if this guy can deliver it's pain reliever for one of the team's biggest headaches.
    Posted by p-mike

Good call. The o-line looks legit, which is better than it could look.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Kevin Faulk - the 1st Downinator

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Laz - they do look focused and are playing with energy. That is really good. 

Someone shouted out to all the TE's. Crump had one huge block on a run by Taylor. This TE group could be the best since Ben Coates and ... whoever carried his cleats in a given year. Oh, Keith Byars. He was a great H-Back. Yeah this group could be that cool with some time to gel and get their feet wet. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

You nailed it, ZB. I don't see how you keep McCourtey off the field. 

This Hernandez
    kid looks amazing. Great hands, open filed moves, body agility.

The TD pass shows he's on the same page as Brady. At the young age of 20, he's already shown me more the Watson ever did.

As for Gronk, he was overshadowed by Hernandez, but he had a great game also with a few good blocks, and a TD. Its impossible for one defender to tackle this kid.

Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love got a lot of playing time, but I did not notice any plays made.

Under-Performers: Merryweather and Mayo did not stand out at all. Taylor Price had an OK game, as he appeared to have dropped a good throw by Hoyer.

Ted Larsen had a tough game with 2 quick penalties.

The much maligned Ron Brace actually played and caused a fumble. He is definitely out of shape, which is why he did not stay out there long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Kevin Faulk - the 1st Downinator
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Yeah. Faulk is still something special isn't he. Between him and Taylor you have a ton of yards and a AARP card, but if Taylor can stay healthy, they would be the best 1-2 punch in the division. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You nailed it, ZB. I don't see how you keep McCourtey off the field.  This Hernandez kid looks amazing. Great hands, open filed moves, body agility. The TD pass shows he's on the same page as Brady. At the young age of 20, he's already shown me more the Watson ever did. As for Gronk , he was overshadowed by Hernandez, but he had a great game also with a few good blocks, and a TD. Its impossible for one defender to tackle this kid. Brandon Deaderick  and Kyle Love got a lot of playing time, but I did not notice any plays made. Under-Performers : Merryweather and Mayo  did not stand out at all. Taylor Price had an OK game, as he appeared to have dropped a good throw by Hoyer . The much maligned Ron Brace actually played and caused a fumble. He is definitely out of shape, which is why he did not stay out there long.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Meriweather made a huge play against Tony Gonzalez to knock away a 3rd down catch that Gonzalez had in his hands. It was well played. But I expect that from him. He's a pro-bowler. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

He had good coverage on Gonzalez on that play (even though Gonzalez bobbled the ball, giving BM a better chance to know it away)

But I expect more from BM. Most of his other plays were really post mortem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Garytx and ALL~

Price...o.k., not bad as I recall only 1 reception and 1 drop, But man- Gotta weigh this with the "Typical Rookie" progression thing vs How unreal & atypical some of these guys are developing at (1st & 2nd yr guys).  Let alone, Brady seemingly having arguably 3 X the number of options as last year, when he had oh-moss & Welker then noone and noone after this, oh- and no running game.

Gronk made this soft-handed expanding arms catch into the endzone, then a defender bounced off him like a child (in the defenders defense, as Gronk's like 6'6-6'7, It was Gronkowski's waist to midsection which he bounced off of lol).  STILL believe, IF it weren't for Gronkowski's Injury tear and missing time with that surgey his final year, He IS better than Gresham.  Imho, he actually has just a bit softer hands actually, their speed as I recall is equal (Gronk actually beat Gresham by a 100th of a sec), BUT with Gronkowski's blocking...forget it.  Everyone was so enamored with Gresham's wideout like moves in the open field for ppotential YAC, but c'mon Gronk's so much more of a complete package (minus Scarey Injury).

Tate had 2 Receptions, but imho he looked GOOOoood...and considering I had and HAVE been lamabasting BB for Drafting Brandon Tate rather than several '09 Draft WRs I liked far better, This would be a potential whopping: "Laz failed on this call," statement from me.   Unfortunately ya didn't get to see just a nasty reception from tate, exhibiting ankle breaking moves post reception.  Tate got in on the sideline, turned quick, did an inside move, a quick stutter, then bolted back up the inside upfield, turning nothing into like a 15 yarder and diving for that 1st down...Kid does NOT lose speed in his moves too much at all, and he just looks so fast then post catch.

~Hey guys, Just listening to 105.5 here, and lmao, These guys are STILL bashing NE (what I've heard EVERY single second of offseason, postseason, Draft, post draft, preseason...dear god, give it a 1 second rest).  Last week it was about how this BB Coaching staff smelled of the Cleveland BB Years.  Now it's about how NE's 1st and 2nd year guys Looked Good, ONLY because there ARE no veterans manning the spots that they're taking, and thus therefore-These Players have zero competition...  In otherwords, these announcers were saying that these new guys were "Handed Open Positional Spots" so they can't look anything "But Good in the end."    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Appreciate the news Laz.  Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

only caught the fourth quarter. there was one play by one of the te's (i think, but could be a receiver) that stood out to me. hoyer threw it straight to the chest of one of the hawks by the sideline. the receiver took the hawk down immediately. i wctually thought he atempted to get the ball...showed troy brown-like presence of mind. it's the mentality that the patriots had a lot of during those sb years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Folks we had a spectacular draft this year. McCourty, Hernandez and Spikes looked very good.

Hernadez was the most impressive of all. They can put this guy anywhere and he is a major threat. He looks like a veteran of 2 seasons. If he stays healthy you are going to see this guy as a major part of any down situation and plays designed around getting him the ball. Gronk is a player as well.

The offensive line looks very good. We can definitely survive without Mankins. I liked Dan Connolly's play. He was making an impact. Hats off to the O-Line coaching. They know how to develop these players. Fred Taylor was our best back last year when healthy and is our best back this year. They talked about NE having 4 backs, but we have needed all 4 due to the fragility of Morris and Taylor. If Taylor can stay healthy we are going to have a very good running game.

Hats off to McCourty. He's the real deal. I really liked Butler's playing last year and he came along very well. McCourty looks like he is already outplaying Butler in my opinion.

The play of the secondary looks outstanding. We may have the best secondary in the league. No, not maybe, we do have the best in the league. (they are going to be severely implacted by mediocre line and outside linebacker play though). This secondary is going to put fear in all but the elite qb's in the league. They are tight on the ball when it is thrown and look like they have potential to make plays when it is thown.

Unfortunately, though the d-line and outside linebacker play was mediocre at best.
    That is the Achillies Heal of this team. They looked weak on the rush and to me look vulnerable on the run. I think we may have some headaches stopping the run again this year. I think we will indeed miss Warren for his run d. So even though I think we have the best secondary, they will be exploited due to the qbs having time to throw the ball.

I tried to watch Brace when he was in there and he did act like a hole stuffer. I thought he played ok. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II : Meriweather made a huge play against Tony Gonzalez to knock away a 3rd down catch that Gonzalez had in his hands. It was well played. But I expect that from him. He's a pro-bowler. 
    Posted by zbellino

I think I remember the play. It would have been a reception by Gonzalez but BM knocked the ball cleanly out of his hands. Great timing and technique. I think the announcers said Gonzalez bobbled it but it was simply a clean well timed hit and strike on the ball that hit it out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

only caught the fourth quarter. there was one play by one of the te's (i think, but could be a receiver) that stood out to me. hoyer threw it straight to the chest of one of the hawks by the sideline. the receiver took the hawk down immediately. i wctually thought he atempted to get the ball...showed troy brown-like presence of mind. it's the mentality that the patriots had a lot of during those sb years.
    Posted by seattlepat70

That was Aaron Hernandez -- I loved that play. Hoyer threw it right into the Falcons player and it could have been an easy interception, but Hernandez immediately threw his body into him and jarred the ball loose with his arm. It was a really heads up play by him. He definitely impressed in this game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Impressive (not in any particular order):
    *McCourty - I mean wow!
    *Spikes - A total brute of a run stopper
    *O-line (read Connolly) - Very solid; great run blocking
    *Hernandez - The real deal
    *Gronk - Huge physically, athletic, strong, fast, great hands
    *Entire D - most athletic Pats D in a long time
    *TB - Locked on and tracking
    *Welker - Really impressed with how quickly he bounced back; good to see him out there and effective
    *Taylor and Morris - strong, strong, strong running game

This team really looks focused.  Very optimistic here about 2010 reg season

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

Fred Taylor showed signs of his old running self but to me SAM MORRIS looked like he was running and wanted to hit anyone near him. I thought once the Patriots got him he would be the number 1 back. If he can stay healthy, this guy is like an old time Earl Campbell that will get the yards and hit them on the way. Here's hoping to he stays healthy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Pretty much what everyone else said.  Looks like there set with Meriweather and Chung at Safety.  Question is out of Aringtone, McGowen, Sanders who gets the boot.  I dont see them keeping more then 4 safties.

I will give a shout out to Brace.  Was nice to see him in on a play and being talked about in a positive fashion.  Would be huge if this guy plays up to what people thought he could.

Dislikes:

Excellent game but some of the same problems from last year still exist:

- Pass Rush
    - Dink and Dunk -  still hate all those 2 yard passes, almost got welker killed again
    -Middle of field -- middle of the field on our defense is still open as the linebackers were dropping way to far back in coverage.

Sections
Shortcuts