Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

I only saw the second quarter, but I thought the O-Line got beat pretty badly a few times.  Connolly did look good--but other than that I wasn't impressed.  I think in the regular season when teams start playing real football and the pass rush schemes get more complex, this line is going to struggle.  Losing Mankins will hurt.  Not having a decent tackle after Vollmer will hurt even more. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i was watching the dline late... 74 kyle love caused that fumble and disrupted the play on almost every down...the dude is a beast...6'5" 325...at one point he pushed his man back 15 ft and forced the qb to throw it away....

deadrick was in alot and played ok... i saw brace make a nice stop too... hes also a big dude... but kyle love was the most impressive to me....

he will be the undrafted fa that makes the team...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Don't forget Mesko. They didn't even announce how long his punts were, but they were all inside the 20. Inghram and Gostkowski as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Hernandez, Taylor, McCourtey and the offensive line in general.  So much for missing Mankins. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I have to hold myself back from getting too excited from what I've seen reminding me this is only preseason but here's my take.

TE's in general, all three
    BigMc (McCourty) he is coming along nicely, last time Pats had that much talent in their DBs? 2004?
    Spikes, this guy is special and looks more and more comfortable in his role.  Mid season he will be a monster next to Mayo I have no concerns with this guy
    WW wow!
    Chung for all those who called him out last year, what you got to say now?
    Murrell hasn't flashed excellence but looks like the real deal, the more snaps he gets the better he'll get.

The bad
    OLine depth, outside tackles (starters) are set, I'm not confident the three inside spots (including starters).  Larsen is not looking good at all, Bussey better come on strong.  I see the Pats maybe bringing another inside guy before the season begins.
    DLine nervous about depth and even who starts, would love to see Deaderick come on strong.  He is the wild card, I know he's a rookie but he's got the size and strength (experience also) to play DE in a 34. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'll give it up for the entire offensive line(including TE's). These guys have their sh!tt together already and I'm quite impressed. We're still running a pretty plain Jane offensive game plan that shouldn't be real hard for a "D" to defend against and we're executing very well in the Blocking area. Opening up holes in the running game and decent pass protection. I give the O-Line the nod in last nights game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

The rookies and second year guys look really good. I thought Brace looked terrible though. His reaction time off the snap is horrendous. I understand he's not in a penetrating role, but c'mon man, get out of your stance!

The secondary looks great. The pass rush looks awful. Fortunately, a great secondary allows for more blitzing and that may be our saving grace. I'm not worried about run defense. This is a passing league. The days of worrying about allowing 4 YPC are gone. Just need to be respectable against the run.

UP
    Entire secondary (and that was minus our top corner)
    Tight ends
    Starting OL
    RBs (Taylor, Morris, Faulk)
    Overall tackling

DOWN
    Pass rush (to be fair, no banta-Cain)
    Backup OL (is there ONE competent backup?)
    Gostkowski (can't miss 40 yarders in a dome, tho kickoffs were good)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I wasn't impressed that much until we started running.  It seemed to me they are reading some of our pass formations and they seem to sniff out and collapse on screens and short passes a bit too easily.  Then we started gutting them with the run and they had to honor that.  Hernandez really impressed me, and Gronk also with his td catch.  Some nice tight end play from crumpler, too, but I expect that.  I miss the Randy Moss that used his incredible vertical leap to catch balls over the defenders heads.  I think that guy didn't show up here.  I wanted to see more number 2 receiver work.  good game, and i think like you guys, the pass rush seemed weak.  i hope it wont be going forward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Thanks to all for the reports. I'm in the Lone Star State and not able to watch the Pats in pre-season. From your reports and the highlights I've seen, the team looks pretty darn good so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the offense seems to already be in regular season form.  i liked that every time we had a chance to score a TD we did  and we have run the ball very effectivly so far.  the rookie TE's look to be the real deal.  the secondary looks like it could be very good,  the only question that remains is if we can get a good pass rush when we need it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II:
    Where does one start with who and what was impressive?  They were better than last week. Also, this game was a national TV game so unless you were at a Bar Mitzvah last night, it was on Fox, nationally. Brace was horrendous?  Really?  I thought he was pretty good for not practicing for 2 weeks. The strip/fumble was great.  He also got after Wilson on one play and forced him to throw a questionable pass. Not bad. Pretty nimble for a larger human. I don't expect him to be Richard Seymour.
    Posted by russgriswold

You know what I keep thinking. "I wish we were playing a Better team than the Rams Next week". This is going to be large playing time for the starters and the Rams.....well, you know. I hope we mop up next week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

The TEAM looked good as a whole, which is petty motivating, although I agree with the above analyses on individual players.

I'll tell you who didn't impress me: Brandon McGowan and Jonathon Wilhite. McGowan completely whiffs again and allows a TD-I could do that, for a lot less money.  But what killed me was Wilhite's INT.  Holy Cruddup, this is a Bill Belichick coached team--situation football is your hallmark.  And you make an interception on 4th down??  Nice stat line: 0 tackles, 0 assists, and oh btw I lost us 30 yards of field position in one move.  What a dumb#ss.

I hope Belichick rides the DBs all week long for that gaffe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

Brace was horrendous?  Really?  I thought he was pretty good for not practicing for 2 weeks. The strip/fumble was great.  He also got after Wilson on one play and forced him to throw a questionable pass. Not bad. Pretty nimble for a larger human. I don't expect him to be Richard Seymour.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yes Russ, I thought he looked tentative and slow. I have been sticking up for the guy and I'm far from throwing in the towel on him, but he may not have the quickness to play end, even in this 3-4 D. The strip tackle was nice. He's a big strong guy there's no doubt about that. If you recorded the game, go back and take a look at how slow he is to get out of his stance and engage the O-lineman. The NT (Love maybe?) would be grappling a full half second before Brace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from linfrat. Show linfrat's posts

I know that Welker only played a few series in the first half but just seeing him out there and back in action was the highlight for me.  To put things in perspective, I live in DC where the $100 million dollar man himself, Albert Haynesworth, missed practice with a "headache." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Some good assessments... so rather than say who impressed over the course of the game here is where I saw flashes of true brilliance and so flashes of potential big plays/playmakers this season:

1. Brady. He looks like the QB he was in 2007.
    1A. RANDY MOSS: what do you mean what did he do to get on this list and right up there with Brady? Well, rememnber, this is not who looked good but who showed flashes of brilliance. On one play Moss got behind the entire secondary. If Brady had not underthrown him he would have been able to seal the deal on a play right out of the 2007 highlights. This on the back of reports of how he is making everyone on whatever team is covering him look like they are shaky ground.
    2. Hernandez: he had a run after the catch like #11 on one play, made a terrific adjustment to make a terrific TD reception like... Dalls Clark perhaps... and made some very nice blocks (I'm not going to compare him to an OL here, they were nice blocks... NICE... OK?). He is showing real, concrete flashes of big time ability
    3. Gronk: some very good blocks, good display or quickness for a big TE and the guy doesn't want to be brought down by any less than three defenders. And not even then. I don't know what impression he is making to others on the field but he seems to have a little of Mankins attitude and Ben Coates talents.
    4. McCourty - How do Americans choose who to vote for? Its the economy stupid. How do you evaluate a corner? Its the coverage stupid... and toughness coming up to make a play... and playing smart in the system... but first, its the coverage. He did a solid job flashing some good man to man skills on tight coverage. Setting up with little cushion WILL be significant this year as pass rush remains less than optimal.
    5. Faulk and Taylor and Morris. Faulk had the step of a young Faulk and the instincts of a seasoned Faulk. Taylor looked like that guy Taylor of a few years ago. Morris looked like that guy Morris who so impressed us with his hard running when he first got here.
    6. Starting OL: flashed good work as a unit. THis is not to say there were no breakdowns. Too many really. But I'm talking flashes of stellar play that do not seem to be mere flashes but hints at what they really could be this year. Especially in the running game. Especially in short yardage. They may, if they can stay healthy, develop the best short yardage game of any top flight passing team this year. IF they get this far it will be in part due to the 3 TEs roles in the blocking
    7. Tate: one play. Looked DANGEROUS on a run after catch... this is included here because we know he has this ability, we are not simply hoping he does... and here he is on the field and making that kind of play in a game. Making the catch and then the explosive run. Is he the CJ Spiller of receivers? (you saw the clip of Spiller agasint the Colts?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The TEAM looked good as a whole, which is petty motivating, although I agree with the above analyses on individual players. I'll tell you who didn't impress me: Brandon McGowan and Jonathon Wilhite. McGowan completely whiffs again and allows a TD-I could do that, for a lot less money.  But what killed me was Wilhite's INT.  Holy Cruddup, this is a Bill Belichick coached team --situation football is your hallmark.  And you make an interception on 4th down??  Nice stat line: 0 tackles, 0 assists, and oh btw I lost us 30 yards of field position in one move.  What a dumb#ss. I hope Belichick rides the DBs all week long for that gaffe.
    Posted by USMCM1A1

And then Wilhite celebrated costing the team all those yards!  Cut his selfish statistic inflating a**.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There is a lot of excitement and hope with this year's team. I can't remember the Pats looking as intense in preseason as they have this year. Not perfect, but they are playing with more intensity and physicality which was severly lacking last year. 

Agree with Z's top 5 of who impressed. I want to seem more Tate and Price involved early in these preseason games. I want to know which one will stretch it opposite Moss. Tate's after the catch run last night was a thing of beauty. 

Since Z listed off the top 5, I'm going to throw in Mesko in the mix. If he can continue to pin teams inside the 10-20 yrd lines, this puts the D in a much better starting position. Special teams with Mesko, Gost and whoever (McCourty, Welker, Faulk, Tate, etc.) returns kicks and punts should be a huge difference maker for us this year. I expect to see good field position for us on both sides of it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Yeah, I couldn't believe a bubble player did that.  He reminds me of Ellis Hobbs.  Once in a while finds a nut, but always acts like he just morphed into Deion Sanders with the play he made.  I don't know why you'd be doing any dancing as a bubble player in the second preseason game.   How about, just don't dance, period?
    Posted by russgriswold

Griz:  I actually agree with you!  Imagine that!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Wilhite gets booted. Keep Wheatley and Arrington ahead of him. 

Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Wheatley and Arrington are my CB's. 

Meriweather, Chung and McGowan are my safeties. 

this leaves Sanders, Wilhite open for trade or release. I see Sanders having decent trade value...What do you say? Will Sanders be the odd safety out or does he make the team?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Folks we had a spectacular draft this year. McCourty, Hernandez and Spikes looked very good. Hernadez was the most impressive of all. They can put this guy anywhere and he is a major threat. He looks like a veteran of 2 seasons. If he stays healthy you are going to see this guy as a major part of any down situation and plays designed around getting him the ball. Gronk is a player as well. The offensive line looks very good. We can definitely survive without Mankins. I liked Dan Connolly's play. He was making an impact. Hats off to the O-Line coaching. They know how to develop these players. Fred Taylor was our best back last year when healthy and is our best back this year. They talked about NE having 4 backs, but we have needed all 4 due to the fragility of Morris and Taylor. If Taylor can stay healthy we are going to have a very good running game. Hats off to McCourty. He's the real deal. I really liked Butler's playing last year and he came along very well. McCourty looks like he is already outplaying Butler in my opinion. The play of the secondary looks outstanding. We may have the best secondary in the league. No, not maybe, we do have the best in the league. (they are going to be severely implacted by mediocre line and outside linebacker play though). This secondary is going to put fear in all but the elite qb's in the league. They are tight on the ball when it is thrown and look like they have potential to make plays when it is thown. Unfortunately, though the d-line and outside linebacker play was mediocre at best. That is the Achillies Heal of this team. They looked weak on the rush and to me look vulnerable on the run. I think we may have some headaches stopping the run again this year. I think we will indeed miss Warren for his run d. So even though I think we have the best secondary, they will be exploited due to the qbs having time to throw the ball. I tried to watch Brace when he was in there and he did act like a hole stuffer. I thought he played ok. 
    Posted by Macrawn

That's why his nickname is Weapon X. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree Russ. So you think both Wilhite and Sanders are the odd men out? Sergio Brown possibly making the team over McGowan and Sanders both? 

I think I would like to have 6 CB's and 4 Safeties, but not sure we can keep that many given like you said, our DL situation. I do however think we can do 5 CB's and possibly 4 safeties because we have a bit of flexibility with Meriweather in that he could play CB in a pinch if needed there. 

I can't see either Gronk, Hernandez or Crump being cut. So, I think 3 TE's make the team for sure. 

I'm going to start another post here on roster projections if anyone is interested in chatting. Don't want to hog this post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The Merriweather defense on Gonzalas if you watch the replay the ball hit Gonzalas in the facemask. Went right thru his hands.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Does it concern anyone else that nowhere in this thread has Mayo been mentioned?  We blamed his off year last year on his injury (rightfully so), but I'll be the first on this board to say this: unless he's holding back for the regular season, he might get passed up by Spikes quickly.  Is it just me, or did Mayo look better as a rookie?  Not saying he's bad, just maybe he set the bar pretty high his rookie season.

[EDIT] I just looked at the box score and saw that on paper, Mayo looked better than Spikes.  Is this another reason to hate stats or am I just paying too much attention to the new guys and overlooking the old?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Mayo didn't look too good in pass coverage.  Otherwise I didn't notice him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Merriweather defense on Gonzalas if you watch the replay the ball hit Gonzalas in the facemask. Went right thru his hands.
    Posted by Philskiw

S-TFU, it was a well timed hit against the best TE in NFL history. Tony G. would have recovered and made that play had Meriweather not tackled him. 

Sections
Shortcuts