Who is Moss' replacement???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

Who is Moss' replacement???

Just for shots and giggles, who does everyone think will be Randy's replacement?
    Here are what I see as "options" (likely or unlikely as they may seem), while keeping in mind that the TEs, Edelman and Welker are the inside types:

Brandon Tate: already on the roster, shows immense speed and talent but outside of return duties, not proven....yet.

Taylor Price: once again, already on the roster but even less proven.

Deon Branch: Good chemistry with Brady....4 years ago. Aging and has been somewhat injury riddled but obviously the Pats setting (i.e. Brady) put him in a good place while he was here. Haven't been able to see much of him as Seahawks games are not on too often around here. Would a 4th or 5th rounder be good enough for BOTH parties get him here (why would Seattle go for less).
    Veteran team player, this would be what I would consider most likely (although not necessarily MY best case scenario)

Vincent Jackson: Headcase but obviously very talented. Alot of the risk vs reward scenario with him. Would think it's a 1st rounder or combo (2nd and 4th???) could get him but would also cost a long term contract @ big $$$'s. One strike away from longer suspension.
    Probably the least likely in my opinion

Steve Smith: My personal 1st choice (if one were to be had).
    He's currently walking around on crutches so most likely would be out a couple weeks and would also take time to come up to speed. Also signed for pretty big $$$ for the next two years. Carolina would also not want to get hoodwinked so I'm thinking a combo of picks for him as well.
    However. Tough as nails, can run all the routes and is obviously talented. Fits into the spread it around mold in different patterns and won't shrink when the cold/ playoffs roll around.

Others I think "could" be in consideration:
    Lee Evans - if he could be had on the cheap...
    Larry Fitzgerald - pipe dream and HUGE compensation.

What do you think? Other suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

Re: The replacement

Price is 2nd and a 3rd and 30 million gauranteed for Jackson.

He may need to move on the money, which makes him more attractive than Moss I guess, because of age.

Problem is, he has two DUIs. One more, and it's a year suspension.

In my opinion, both the money and the draft picks is why he hasn't been dealt yet.

I don't see him as Patriot material, but then again Moss wasn't really either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

Re: Who is Moss' replacement???

Agreed, 2nd and 3rd = 1st IMO.
    The guarantees could be the kicker, could be an incentive / infraction based I suppose but probably not likely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: The replacement:
    [QUOTE]Price is 2nd and a 3rd and 30 million gauranteed for Jackson. He may need to move on the money, which makes him more attractive than Moss I guess, because of age. Problem is, he has two DUIs. One more, and it's a year suspension. In my opinion, both the money and the draft picks is why he hasn't been dealt yet. I don't see him as Patriot material, but then again Moss wasn't really either.
    Posted by WeisOffenseReturns[/QUOTE]

So Moss and a second rounder, plus $30 mil for a downgrade?  You don't think Jackson is as good as Moss do you? 

Here's what I don't get, you're arguing that they're better off without Moss, but you're trying to figure out how to replace him with all these other guys.  If they're better, then why not just see what happens with what's already on the roster?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Muz,

sometimes you can be a better team by moving a distraction, but it also means Welker becomes the main target and will have the coverage to match that status. 

Steve Smith is very interesting but not likely.  I think adding one piece and potentially looking for a main RB.  Stewart in Carolina is more interesting to me.  But they likely won't offer what it would require to get him.

Branch might be a fit...but he is too old and often injured.  Fitz is out of the question...he is the best WR in football in my eyes.  But this team lacks a deep threat and we have very avg RB's.  I think we must go after a go to RB...and there are lots that we could look at.  I still don't understand why we didnt look at LT.  Potentially even Westbrook.  A guy who can catch the ball outta the backfield would be a nice option.

I think our TE's are gonna be the main targets going fwd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Moss's replacement is Brady's favorite receiver.....The Open One.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

In Response to Re: The replacement:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The replacement : So Moss and a second rounder, plus $30 mil for a downgrade?  You don't think Jackson is as good as Moss do you?  Here's what I don't get, you're arguing that they're better off without Moss, but you're trying to figure out how to replace him with all these other guys.  If they're better, then why not just see what happens with what's already on the roster?
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but I don't see how that could be interpreted as Jackson being better than Moss (wasn't my response to the post) nor do I see anywhere where he said the Pats are better off than Moss. The ship has sailed so it's about what to do moving forward. 

The thread was supposed to be a question on how he's replaced, internally or outside options.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

True Champ is the only one understanding what is going on here.  No more 10 targets and only two catches... now it will be 10 targets and 8 catches from the open receivers... that's probably how we could have beat the jets.  We can't replace Moss but we can play an old style of offense.  As Truechamp said the "open one" will get the ball.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Moss will be replaced by the 3 additional players who will be thrown to each game by Brady.  Remember how you used to read how Brady completed passes to 8 different players somewhat regularly?  Be prepared to start reading that again.  Moss was a special talent.  No single player will replace him.  I don't think they will try to replace Moss and his role though.  They are making an offensive shift. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Well we run alot of two wide sets so really who knows. 

It could be Wes and Tate or it could be Tate and Edelman or Edelman and Wes they will probably mix it up early on and in the 3 wide sets all of em. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Who is Moss' replacement???:
    [QUOTE]Just for shots and giggles, who does everyone think will be Randy's replacement? Here are what I see as "options" (likely or unlikely as they may seem), while keeping in mind that the TEs, Edelman and Welker are the inside types: Brandon Tate: already on the roster, shows immense speed and talent but outside of return duties, not proven....yet. Taylor Price: once again, already on the roster but even less proven. Deon Branch: Good chemistry with Brady....4 years ago. Aging and has been somewhat injury riddled but obviously the Pats setting (i.e. Brady) put him in a good place while he was here. Haven't been able to see much of him as Seahawks games are not on too often around here. Would a 4th or 5th rounder be good enough for BOTH parties get him here (why would Seattle go for less). Veteran team player, this would be what I would consider most likely (although not necessarily MY best case scenario) Vincent Jackson: Headcase but obviously very talented. Alot of the risk vs reward scenario with him. Would think it's a 1st rounder or combo (2nd and 4th???) could get him but would also cost a long term contract @ big $$$'s. One strike away from longer suspension. Probably the least likely in my opinion Steve Smith: He's currently walking around on crutches so most likely would be out a couple weeks and would also take time to come up to speed. Also signed for pretty big $$$ for the next two years. Carolina would also not want to get hoodwinked so I'm thinking a combo of picks for him as well, With that being said, he would be MY first choice. Tough as nails, can run all the routes and is obviously talented. The last two are my main reason he would be my pick. Fits into the spread it around mold in different patterns and won't shrink when the cold/ playoffs roll around. Others I think "could" be in consideration: Lee Evans - if he could be had on the cheap... Larry Fitzgerald - pipe dream and HUGE compensation. What do you think? Other suggestions?
    Posted by a350227[/QUOTE]

There's no replacement for Moss, but we have some good receivers on the team and 2 stud tight ends. Tate I think can handle the role. Give him a chance. We don't need a star to come to the team to fix things, we just need someone with reliable hands and a little speed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Moss will be replaced by Dink and Dunk

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Who is Moss' replacement???:
    [QUOTE]Moss's replacement is Brady's favorite receiver.....The Open One.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Completely agree True.

They will go back to the 03,04 offenses. Matter a fact if you look at the Buf and Phin games they have already switched their offensive strategy to one more of keeping the D off balance with ball control through play action and draw plays instead of trying to setup and force the deep plays.

As far as trades go I can see either Branch or Evans. I'm thinking Branch since they already know he has good communication with Brady and could be had for cheap. But, a trade would depend on how they feel about Tate and Price. We know Edelman, Welker, Hernandez are going to be around for some time so if they feel real good about Tate and Price why bring in another aging player that takes time away from their development? However, if they feel Tate or Price are going to take a couple more years to fully develop a true vet would provide Brady some welcome relief.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

Harley road King said it best. Although, he was being facetious, and I think it's vaild. Moss' replacement is the gameplan, is how I will say it. It's going back to a 'move the chains' offense. And not a moment too soon! The home run derby of 2007 was a major fail. A fail of epic proportions, in fact.

Anyone catch the blurb from Farve, before CSN cut it off, about how he thinks they've been on this trade since training camp? BB was just waiting for an opportunity. And the jets game was the opportunity he wanted, when Brady was forcing the ball to Moss.

Moss is everyone's buddy? Moss is a mentor to some? The N.E.P only want one "Daddy" in the locker room, and it's name is BB. So Randy has the entire locker room in his corner? What happens when "Randy Knows Best" start to rear it's head? Moss: C-A-N-C-E-R.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Who. How about using a plural. Moss's replacement is 3 tight ends two backs and the rest of the receiving corps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

[QUOTE]Who. How about using a plural. Moss's replacement is 3 tight ends two backs and the rest of the receiving corps.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Dude, you realize that in your sig quote of the Princess Bride.... that the guy drops dead after he says it, negating the implication that Sicilians are not to be messed with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is Moss' replacement??? : Dude, you realize that in your sig quote of the Princess Bride.... that the guy drops dead after he says it, negating the implication that Sicilians are not to be messed with.
    Posted by ebuddha[/QUOTE]

Ummmm . . .

That's the joke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Tate will be the outside speed guy . . . he will be covered by the fastest CB the other team has because of his speed, if (and a big if) he starts catching some balls then teams will have to have safety help on him.  Price, Wes, Edelman, Branch are all slot receivers and do not have the speed or size to be the outside guys.  Jenkins now has a chance to be Tate's backup.  Hernandez will be moved from the TE position and be the "big" wideout that will cause match-up problems for many CBs.  Crumpler and Gronk can handle the TE postion and Woodhead is the 3rd down guy . . . should be no problem unless they face more injuries!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This just in....Brandon Tate has more catches then Moss in 4 games playing behind Moss who played over 75% of the team snaps.  Tate might just be really good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from a350227. Show a350227's posts

[QUOTE]This just in....Brandon Tate has more catches then Moss in 4 games playing behind Moss who played over 75% of the team snaps.  Tate might just be really good.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Great point, although for 0 TDs, compared to 3 for Moss.
    I digress though. You may very well be right and I'm personally hoping it's a full combo.
    I started the thread and just want to clarify something....
    Knowing how the Pats opperate, I'm not sure anyone could/should expect another move on the WR front, or anyone else for that matter.
    It just makes sense that somewhere within the next couple weeks, "something" could be on the way.
    The Mankins shoe has yet to fall yet and with all the picks they have, they have PLENTY of assets to deal from and if they think they have a shot at anything this season, they can if they want to...but do they???
    That's the question.

Sections
Shortcuts