who is racist here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Re: who is racist here?

The real point in this discussion is that people (representing every conceivable race/ethnic/religious/cultural group) are being asked to go against their very human trait of associating with, and siding with those who share the same combination of race, ethnic etc. characteristics - and look askance at those who do not look like them and/or share those same feelings.

The struggle of teaching mankind to see others who are different from themselves as perfect equals is an eternally losing battle. We would do better to accept the fact that we are living in a multi-racial and multi-cultural nation - thus, teaching its citizens to both share in what we have in common as well as respect our differences.

As long as we see ourselves as a collection of warring groups out to get what we can at the expense of everyone else: we shall continue to have these "tit-for- that" exchanges (i.e. some one from Group A did this to a person from Group B, they must be racist/homophobe/religiously intolerant/whatever).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"This whole topic blows my mind becuase most of the people want the cop to be wrong before most of the facts even came out.  I read almost every post on this forum everyday because there is nothing to do here in Iraq.  Its funny to read about people views on religion and such in a sports board.
    I guess the only reason I'm posting is most of you have never had a job that you had to be correct 100% of the time or you could die.  Many in my family are cops and I hope to be one when my time in the military is done. All I ask is look at the fact before you start spurting all these thing like, "I would cuss a cop out in my home."

This borders on one of those condescending lectures about the secret inner workings.
    Naturally, people on a sports board aren't qualified or authorized to debate the really "important" issues of our times. We should leave that to the elected and hired brains and experts who have screwed up the planet. 
    However, the rest of that post seemed to make sense...until I read something else that will change my mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..:
    In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly.. : Jules, you seem to know an awful lot about Black people and what we're thinking. Are you Black? Do you have in-laws that are Black? By chance, is your wife Black? I have relatives that are white. I don't profess to know what white people are thinking, but let me tell you what I do know.  Racism is not dead in America. It's alive and kicking. I attended college in Boston and made the rounds to various cities. On a visit to one of the tonier suburbs (Lexington) to see a girlfriend, a bunch of whites who apparently didn't believe racism was dead saw fit to call me a n****r while riding by in a car. Maybe you think that's an isolated incident, so, let's switch cities - A few of my friends were playing basketball in West Roxbury, MA - We weren't thughs and certainly weren't bothering anyone. The police showed up and asked us to leave immediately. The kids we were playing against (all white) were'nt asked to leave. Apparently a few of the locals didn't care for us being there.  Do you think Joseph Rakes saw a color blind society when he attacked Ted Landsmark on the steps of Boston City Hall with a flag pole - fracturing his face?  Do you think Michael Griffith - who was unfortunate enough to have taken a wrong turn in Howard Beach, Queens and lost his life frantically trying to escape some frothing at the mouth Italian Americans didn't encounter racism? How about the undercover agent in Tulia, Tx (Tom Coleman) who incarcerated dozens of Blacks on trumped up drug charges. Did he see a color blind society?! What about Charles Stuart, Susan Smith?! I can go on and on... Do you know that there are certain parts of Forsyth County in Georgia that I don't feel safe setting foot in after dark for obvious reasons: KKK. News Flash - Black people weren't the only ones who saw George Bush as illegitimate. Many Whites, Asians, Latinos, Indians, etc etc, etc did also. In closing, your statement that "racism is not an accepted view in our country anymore" is bs. I've seen documentaries during the 2008 election that bordered on outright hostility. Now we have the 'Birthers' who are questioning Barack Obama's citizenship. He's six months into his first term and trying really hard to clean up the colossal mess George Bush left this country in. The only Black president and the only commander in chief I know of that was ever asked to provide documentation along the lines of what these fringe dwellers are asking. Electing Barack was a step in the right direction. But we as a whole haven't become a color blind society yet. And anyone who attempts to say otherwise has an agenda and wants to maintain the status quo or really needs to do some serious soul searching. The incident with Gates and Crowley has us talking about racism and that's a good sign. paob
    Posted by paob

Couldn't disagree with you more, paob.  Every racism "believer" has personal stories (usually exaggerated and twisted to be so).  I have stories I could twist into being proof positive of racism if I wasn't white as a sheet.  About a year ago I had a police officer question me in the foyer of my own home, and it would have fit very well on CNN's Black in America series (as long as I didn't admit that I didn't have the foresight to be born African American).  BTW, I don't really believe your stories, but they certainly serve your argument well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..: I made a number of points which I thought were interesting. I also highlighted some things that happened to me while in Boston and you respond calling me a liar. 
    You don't know me from Adam, but feel comfortable in the privacy of your own home to say that cr*p. I don't give a d**n whether you believe me Jules! I don't need your affirmation or approval.

I'll repeat this for anyone interested in listening. Walk a day in our shoes and come back here and tell me what you experienced. I'd be willng to listen. As for those of you who want to subconsciously or not maintain the stauts quo, well, give us time. 
    You won't be able to enjoy those trappings for long...

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly.. : Couldn't disagree with you more, paob.  Every racism "believer" has personal stories (usually exaggerated and twisted to be so).  I have stories I could twist into being proof positive of racism if I wasn't white as a sheet.  About a year ago I had a police officer question me in the foyer of my own home, and it would have fit very well on CNN's Black in America series (as long as I didn't admit that I didn't have the foresight to be born African American).  BTW, I don't really believe your stories, but they certainly serve your argument well.
    Posted by JulesWinfield

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..:
    The bigger issue to me here is a cop feeling as if he has to reinforce his authority over a black man, who has the audacity to question his continued presence on the doorstep of his own home. If the roles were reversed, I have no doubt a Black police officer would have left the scene and we wouldn't have the mess we have now, if for instance a Lawrence Summers was involved. Thank you for the response. paob
    Posted by paob

Thanks for illustrating the paranoia issue I mentioned a while back.  There's no doubt in your mind that if the roles were reversed the black police officer would have left the scene.  It's my belief that if the roles were reversed the police officer would have taken much LESS abuse from the homeowner because officers are much more careful when the race card can be played.  But in general, if you are abusive to police officers you can be assured of a similar response no matter what your race.  Something tells me that similar incidents with white homeowners (and there are probably plenty) wouldn't be as widely reported (if at all).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyrulez. Show bradyrulez's posts

I agree with Jules totally. Paob I have been jumped in downtown Baltimore twice by 2 black men (different men in the two cases). Do I believe every black person is a criminal no of course not. Do I run in fear every time I see a black person walking down the street no. That would be insanity. Just because one white person said something to you while in Lexington dosent mean every white person is racist. The simple fact is Mr. Gates did not sow his ID when asked to and started yelling at Sgt. Crowley because Gates was angry. I understand he was not having a good day. It could be me, you, Jules or anyone for that matter that coud of been arrested for disorderly conduct in that case. In fact my father was arrested for a very simiar incident. But that was a white cop arresting a white man so I guess by your logic evertyhing is totally different, even though they were arrested for the same thing. And the charges were dropped as well. That is quite common in disorderly conduct cases. It is more for the cops protection to arrest you so the situation does not get worse. However, I know plenty of people like you and every time a cop  sees you your going to think its becasue of your color which is a shame. You are just as guilty for racial profiling as you are accusing Sgt. Crowley of being.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly.. : I made a number of points which I thought were interesting. I also highlighted some things that happened to me while in Boston and you respond calling me a liar.  You don't know me from Adam, but feel comfortable in the privacy of your own home to say that cr*p. I don't give a d**n whether you believe me Jules! I don't need your affirmation or approval. I'll repeat this for anyone interested in listening. Walk a day in our shoes and come back here and tell me what you experienced. I'd be willng to listen. As for those of you who want to subconsciously or not maintain the stauts quo, well, give us time.  You won't be able to enjoy those trappings for long...
    Posted by paob

Sorry to have offended you, paob.  I'm sure that to the paranoid the stories are 100% true.  For example (a 100% hypothetical situation), if a group of youths (who happen to be black) were acting thugishly, bullying other youths, and creating an abusive atmosphere, I could see how they may be asked to leave the basketball court.  However, the paranoid would likely just report the incident as "we were asked to leave because we were black".  And I respect your reaction, paob - there's no reason in the world you should give a rat's backside what I think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Once, in a YMCA long ago and far, far away, I was shooting hoops by myself. 
    A group of boisterous black youths arrived and started playing as if I weren't there. Either I had the court all to myself until I decided I was finished or it belonged to the YMCA and anyone could play whenever they felt like it. It's possible they could have asked if it was ok to play but there weren't any rules or regulations of which I can recall. I felt fear and paranoia but I decided to try something I had been thinking about if just this situation occurred. I went up to the person who appeared to be the best player and challenged him to a game of one on one. If he wins, I leave. If I win, they all leave. He laughed and refused and said I didn't have a chance to win and told me to leave. I left but, I felt I left under my terms and after he proved himself to be a coward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here?:
    ...But what seems to be accepted is Gates' form of racism.  That is, he racially profiled a good officer by alleging a racially motivated incident simply because the officer was white.
    Posted by JulesWinfield

The Truth Meter has just pegged!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Oh swell . . . Just what I need, a lecture on insight from a newbie blowhard. I can read English, deuschebag, and I don't care a whit for his "credentials." If you or I got short with the cops we could expect exactly what this jackleg got, and the fact that he is ensconced at Hahvahd cuts exactly zero ice with me.
    Posted by prairiemike

Ahhhh, PM telling it like it is.  Got to love it.  Very refreshing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The bigger issue to me here is a cop feeling as if he has to reinforce his authority over a black man, who has the audacity to question his continued presence on the doorstep of his own home. If the roles were reversed, I have no doubt a Black police officer would have left the scene and we wouldn't have the mess we have now

This statement here proves you to be racist. You are assuming had the homeowner been white, he could have gone off on a black officer with no retribution. That is simply BS. I have been all  over the country, and the police act the same everywhere. If you start mouthing off to one (especially in an urban area) being arrested is probably the least you are in for. I personally have received a few bruises finding this out first hand. Had both Crowley and Gates had the same color skin I don't doubt the same would have happened had Gates reacted like he did. This is another example of how people propogate the race issue.

As long as we see ourselves as a collection of warring groups out to get what we can at the expense of everyone else: we shall continue to have these "tit-for- that" exchanges (i.e. some one from Group A did this to a person from Group B, they must be racist/homophobe/religiously intolerant/whatever).

Dead on. The population as a whole is guilty of stereotyping. Not every single person, but the majority of any given group. I'm afraid we will never be rid of this problem, as it is too deep rooted. I believe a good amount of the time our predjudices are actually subconcious, and come out when a "reason" is needed to explain a situation. The "us against them" phobia is much more widespread than black and white, and has been around as long as human beings have.

Couldn't disagree with you more, paob.  Every racism "believer" has personal stories (usually exaggerated and twisted to be so).  I have stories I could twist into being proof positive of racism if I wasn't white as a sheet.  About a year ago I had a police officer question me in the foyer of my own home, and it would have fit very well on CNN's Black in America series (as long as I didn't admit that I didn't have the foresight to be born African American).

I have also been harrassed by the cops, and am as white as you. You're right, it is only newsworthy when it's a minority who is getting hassled.

I'll repeat this for anyone interested in listening. Walk a day in our shoes and come back here and tell me what you experienced. I'd be willng to listen.

It's getting tiring listening to you paint yourself as a "victim". I can remember being a "long-haired freak" in the south back in the 70s and 80s. I've been stopped by police merely for walking down the street, been searched up against a wall, and had to roll my sleeves up to show I had no needle marks. I was thrown in jail in Miami once for simply walking to the store one day. When (after I was asked to produce ID) I was herded into the paddy wagon, I asked the officer what I was being arrested for. He replied "I don't know, but I'll think of something by the time we get to the station"! I've also had cops force their way into my home and illegally search it, merely because my hair was too long for their liking, or my rock and roll music was a bit loud. So I've walked in similar shoes. But I'm not as jaded as you, and can accept the fact that while racism and predjudice do indeed exist, every confrontation does not have it as the root cause.

...But what seems to be accepted is Gates' form of racism.  That is, he racially profiled a good officer by alleging a racially motivated incident simply because the officer was white.
    Posted by JulesWinfield

The Truth Meter has just pegged!

And had a white guy claimed he was the victim of racism from a black officer under the same circumstances he would be laughed out of town. The "official" response would have been that he should have merely cooperated with the officer. Exactly what a lot of us here have stated. And it certainly wouldn't warrant any special attention from the president or the press!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly..: I've noticed that in the four plus years or so that I've been here on this site, the person who says something that's disliked by the majority gets jumped on. But I'm not running and I'm not hidin'. Again, I made a number of points in my responses to this original post and the lot of you respond to what you pick and choose. It doesn't surprise me though.

First you resorted to name calling when you had nothing tangible to say, (paranoid, liar). Now you're just wasting my time. Jules I'm not gonna let you waste any more of my time. ZBellino was right. Talking about this on this site to the likes of you is pointless. 

In Response to Re: who is racist here? Jules, I apperciate the rebuttal. I will respond in full shortly.. : Thanks for illustrating the paranoia issue I mentioned a while back.  There's no doubt in your mind that if the roles were reversed the black police officer would have left the scene.  It's my belief that if the roles were reversed the police officer would have taken much LESS abuse from the homeowner because officers are much more careful when the race card can be played.  But in general, if you are abusive to police officers you can be assured of a similar response no matter what your race.  Something tells me that similar incidents with white homeowners (and there are probably plenty) wouldn't be as widely reported (if at all).
    Posted by JulesWinfield

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Thanks Pmike you saved me the post lol I dont know all the details but from what I have heard the cops were in the wrong and are now trying to cover themselves by saying it was on this guy. I find it hard to beleave that this Harvard professer would start swearing at the cops to the point that they arrested him. And wasnt he arrested for not showing his ID or something? I though he refused to show ID because it was his house and they arrested him. But I could be wrong.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Hmmm.... seems like someone needs to get educated. Let's take the facts:  1) A NEIGHBOR reports a possible break in.  2) The Cops (one white, the other black) show up  3) someone INSIDE THE HOUSE advises the WHITE cop that he lives there, and REFUSES to get an ID to provide proof  4) The allegedly "intelligent" BLACK guy plays the race card, and gets disorderly.  5) the white cops hauls his racist posterior to the pokey. The uncooperative black professio cries "racism!". Our fearless leader, ol' Radar Ears, decides to give his opinion. Thug Boy should have replied,"Sorry, that's a local situation that I don't feel the need to comment on." Did I miss anything? Seems to me that all this RACIST PROFESSOR MORON needed to do was provide the cop the ID and all would have been done. But, NOOOOOO! Mr, er, Proffessor Ignoramous needed to play the race card and make a spectacle of himself. Guess he really wanted his 15 minutes of fame badly. Then that Great Amateur Hussein Obamarama decides to chime in with his 2 cents (actually, was 1 cent short of it), and decide that the cop acted "stupidly". WHAT A MORON! He's f u k e d up the economy, wants to ruin health care, and he's now chirping about what Cambridge cops did?  Where's his interest in the case of the off duty white fireman that detained known illegals in AZ, and got arrested for doing so? Anyone see a double standard?

Would you rather have this scenario: Break in reported, white cop shows up, black guy inside the house advises it's OK, he lives there, the white cops leaves, and the house gets emptied out. Can you use your pea brain to even consider that not everyone is honest when dealing with cops, WHITE OR BLACK? 

Or, this one: Neighbors report an auto theft in progress. After getting a  description of the vehicle, a black cop puills it over. The white driver says it's OK, he is the actual owner. The cops wish him a good day, apologizes for the inconvenience, and sends him on his way. The true owner comes home, sees his car missing, and calls the cops. "Sorry, we stopped the car, and the driver said it was you so we gave him $5 for gas and let him go on his way." Does that make you any happier?

All this professorial knucklehead had to do was give the cop his ID, and thank him for showing up to protect his property. Tyhe cop didn't know him from teh next guy, and wantd to see proof that he was the resident he said he was. But this yahoo had to take a nostalgic trip down Freedom March lane, and refused to cooperaste. I'd say the same if the professor was black, white, Asian, Latin, Native American, striped, or polka dotted. Police want Id, you give it to them, unless you're a bad guy, have something to hide, or are a moronic yahoo. The cop didn't randomly stop by the house just because. He was there due to a call that the polie received. Sort of like "just doing his job". Then Mr Full Of Himself goes racial on him. Why is it that the black cop sides with the actions of the white cop? Be careful, now. Keep those racial cards in teh deck. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here?: Bradyrulez, Did you at any point in any of my posts hear me say all white people are racist, the devil, etc., There are plenty of black people who have that mindset. I'm not one of 'em, I talk about what I've experienced. I've never been mugged by whites. So I can't comment on that. It's mighty big of you to not be resentful to the entire Black population because a couple of thughs jumped you. I appreciate that! 
    Look man, from all appearances you seem reasonable. Let's keep this conversation clean... 

I agree with Jules totally. Paob I have been jumped in downtown Baltimore twice by 2 black men (different men in the two cases). Do I believe every black person is a criminal no of course not. Do I run in fear every time I see a black person walking down the street no. That would be insanity. Just because one white person said something to you while in Lexington dosent mean every white person is racist. The simple fact is Mr. Gates did not sow his ID when asked to and started yelling at Sgt. Crowley because Gates was angry. I understand he was not having a good day. It could be me, you, Jules or anyone for that matter that coud of been arrested for disorderly conduct in that case. In fact my father was arrested for a very simiar incident. But that was a white cop arresting a white man so I guess by your logic evertyhing is totally different, even though they were arrested for the same thing. And the charges were dropped as well. That is quite common in disorderly conduct cases. It is more for the cops protection to arrest you so the situation does not get worse. However, I know plenty of people like you and every time a cop  sees you your going to think its becasue of your color which is a shame. You are just as guilty for racial profiling as you are accusing Sgt. Crowley of being.
    Posted by bradyrulez

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

The bigger issue to me here is a cop feeling as if he has to reinforce his authority over a black man, who has the audacity to question his continued presence on the doorstep of his own home. If the roles were reversed, I have no doubt a Black police officer would have left the scene and we wouldn't have the mess we have now This statement here proves you to be racist. You are assuming had the homeowner been white, he could have gone off on a black officer with no retribution. That is simply BS. I have been all  over the country, and the police act the same everywhere. If you start mouthing off to one (especially in an urban area) being arrested is probably the least you are in for. I personally have received a few bruises finding this out first hand. Had both Crowley and Gates had the same color skin I don't doubt the same would have happened had Gates reacted like he did. This is another example of how people propogate the race issue. As long as we see ourselves as a collection of warring groups out to get what we can at the expense of everyone else: we shall continue to have these "tit-for- that" exchanges (i.e. some one from Group A did this to a person from Group B, they must be racist/homophobe/religiously intolerant/whatever). Dead on. The population as a whole is guilty of stereotyping. Not every single person, but the majority of any given group. I'm afraid we will never be rid of this problem, as it is too deep rooted. I believe a good amount of the time our predjudices are actually subconcious, and come out when a "reason" is needed to explain a situation. The "us against them" phobia is much more widespread than black and white, and has been around as long as human beings have. Couldn't disagree with you more, paob.  Every racism "believer" has personal stories (usually exaggerated and twisted to be so).  I have stories I could twist into being proof positive of racism if I wasn't white as a sheet.  About a year ago I had a police officer question me in the foyer of my own home, and it would have fit very well on CNN's Black in America series (as long as I didn't admit that I didn't have the foresight to be born African American). I have also been harrassed by the cops, and am as white as you. You're right, it is only newsworthy when it's a minority who is getting hassled. I'll repeat this for anyone interested in listening. Walk a day in our shoes and come back here and tell me what you experienced. I'd be willng to listen. It's getting tiring listening to you paint yourself as a "victim". I can remember being a "long-haired freak" in the south back in the 70s and 80s. I've been stopped by police merely for walking down the street, been searched up against a wall, and had to roll my sleeves up to show I had no needle marks. I was thrown in jail in Miami once for simply walking to the store one day. When (after I was asked to produce ID) I was herded into the paddy wagon, I asked the officer what I was being arrested for. He replied "I don't know, but I'll think of something by the time we get to the station"! I've also had cops force their way into my home and illegally search it, merely because my hair was too long for their liking, or my rock and roll music was a bit loud. So I've walked in similar shoes. But I'm not as jaded as you, and can accept the fact that while racism and predjudice do indeed exist, every confrontation does not have it as the root cause. ...But what seems to be accepted is Gates' form of racism.  That is, he racially profiled a good officer by alleging a racially motivated incident simply because the officer was white. Posted by JulesWinfield The Truth Meter has just pegged! And had a white guy claimed he was the victim of racism from a black officer under the same circumstances he would be laughed out of town. The "official" response would have been that he should have merely cooperated with the officer. Exactly what a lot of us here have stated. And it certainly wouldn't warrant any special attention from the president or the press!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Bub,

About 3 months ago I got pulled over in Houston, driving a rental Yukon, looking for my bank's branch, near where I do business. One cop was black, the other white. They pulled me over because the rental car had an illegal tag. They kept me there for over 2 hours at midnight. I did exactly as they told me to do, especially giving them my licence and rental agreement. I asked them several times what they wanted me to do: keep going, leave the car and call the rental agency to have them come get it, what? They NEVER gave me an alternative. Finally, they decided to let me go, and then scolded me for driving such a nice vehicle arounds such a bad neighborhood at night. "It sticks out in this area, as if you're looking for illgal drugs and a female companion to party with".

Now, just who was profiling,a dn what were they profiling? Cops are paid to protect and defens. OK, teh TV stuff is over. They NEED to profile stuff to stay ahead of crime. Did I like getting stopped? No, especially because teh stop was for nothing I did or didn't do. Did I get mad at the cops? A little, but only because they would give me an answer as to what tyey wanted me to do for 2 hours. But, if I was black, would there be justification as to the stop being racial (black guy, new Yukon, bad part of town at midnight)? The stop was for teh illegal tag, NOTHING ELSE. Somehow I don't think a black guy would have felt the same. 

Racism is a 2 way street. A big step in stopping this nonsense is to develop one way rules for EVERYONE to go by. Until all sides do so, we're got what we've got. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here?: Bub, There are few people on this site whose opinion I respect TexasPat is one them and you were also one of them until you just called me a racist. Who are you calling a racist you lint licker!!!!! You know absolutely nothing about me. What the hell is wrong with you people. When was the last time you or anyone else on here who's white, actually sat down and had a conversation with someone who isn't caucasian. There is such a world out there. Look, I have a lot more to say. But I gotta go. I'll respond later. P.S. Ignore the stereotypes man. We don't bite. 

The bigger issue to me here is a cop feeling as if he has to reinforce his authority over a black man, who has the audacity to question his continued presence on the doorstep of his own home. If the roles were reversed, I have no doubt a Black police officer would have left the scene and we wouldn't have the mess we have now This statement here proves you to be racist. You are assuming had the homeowner been white, he could have gone off on a black officer with no retribution. That is simply BS. I have been all  over the country, and the police act the same everywhere. If you start mouthing off to one (especially in an urban area) being arrested is probably the least you are in for. I personally have received a few bruises finding this out first hand. Had both Crowley and Gates had the same color skin I don't doubt the same would have happened had Gates reacted like he did. This is another example of how people propogate the race issue. As long as we see ourselves as a collection of warring groups out to get what we can at the expense of everyone else: we shall continue to have these "tit-for- that" exchanges (i.e. some one from Group A did this to a person from Group B, they must be racist/homophobe/religiously intolerant/whatever). Dead on. The population as a whole is guilty of stereotyping. Not every single person, but the majority of any given group. I'm afraid we will never be rid of this problem, as it is too deep rooted. I believe a good amount of the time our predjudices are actually subconcious, and come out when a "reason" is needed to explain a situation. The "us against them" phobia is much more widespread than black and white, and has been around as long as human beings have. Couldn't disagree with you more, paob.  Every racism "believer" has personal stories (usually exaggerated and twisted to be so).  I have stories I could twist into being proof positive of racism if I wasn't white as a sheet.  About a year ago I had a police officer question me in the foyer of my own home, and it would have fit very well on CNN's Black in America series (as long as I didn't admit that I didn't have the foresight to be born African American). I have also been harrassed by the cops, and am as white as you. You're right, it is only newsworthy when it's a minority who is getting hassled. I'll repeat this for anyone interested in listening. Walk a day in our shoes and come back here and tell me what you experienced. I'd be willng to listen. It's getting tiring listening to you paint yourself as a "victim". I can remember being a "long-haired freak" in the south back in the 70s and 80s. I've been stopped by police merely for walking down the street, been searched up against a wall, and had to roll my sleeves up to show I had no needle marks. I was thrown in jail in Miami once for simply walking to the store one day. When (after I was asked to produce ID) I was herded into the paddy wagon, I asked the officer what I was being arrested for. He replied "I don't know, but I'll think of something by the time we get to the station"! I've also had cops force their way into my home and illegally search it, merely because my hair was too long for their liking, or my rock and roll music was a bit loud. So I've walked in similar shoes. But I'm not as jaded as you, and can accept the fact that while racism and predjudice do indeed exist, every confrontation does not have it as the root cause. ...But what seems to be accepted is Gates' form of racism.  That is, he racially profiled a good officer by alleging a racially motivated incident simply because the officer was white. Posted by JulesWinfield The Truth Meter has just pegged! And had a white guy claimed he was the victim of racism from a black officer under the same circumstances he would be laughed out of town. The "official" response would have been that he should have merely cooperated with the officer. Exactly what a lot of us here have stated. And it certainly wouldn't warrant any special attention from the president or the press!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here? : Hmmm.... seems like someone needs to get educated. Let's take the facts:  1) A NEIGHBOR reports a possible break in.  2) The Cops (one white, the other black) show up  3) someone INSIDE THE HOUSE advises the WHITE cop that he lives there, and REFUSES to get an ID to provide proof  4) The allegedly "intelligent" BLACK guy plays the race card, and gets disorderly.  5) the white cops hauls his racist posterior to the pokey. The uncooperative black professio cries "racism!". Our fearless leader, ol' Radar Ears, decides to give his opinion. Thug Boy should have replied,"Sorry, that's a local situation that I don't feel the need to comment on." Did I miss anything? Seems to me that all this RACIST PROFESSOR MORON needed to do was provide the cop the ID and all would have been done. But, NOOOOOO! Mr, er, Proffessor Ignoramous needed to play the race card and make a spectacle of himself. Guess he really wanted his 15 minutes of fame badly. Then that Great Amateur Hussein Obamarama decides to chime in with his 2 cents (actually, was 1 cent short of it), and decide that the cop acted "stupidly". WHAT A MORON! He's f u k e d up the economy, wants to ruin health care, and he's now chirping about what Cambridge cops did?  Where's his interest in the case of the off duty white fireman that detained known illegals in AZ, and got arrested for doing so? Anyone see a double standard? Would you rather have this scenario: Break in reported, white cop shows up, black guy inside the house advises it's OK, he lives there, the white cops leaves, and the house gets emptied out. Can you use your pea brain to even consider that not everyone is honest when dealing with cops, WHITE OR BLACK?  Or, this one: Neighbors report an auto theft in progress. After getting a  description of the vehicle, a black cop puills it over. The white driver says it's OK, he is the actual owner. The cops wish him a good day, apologizes for the inconvenience, and sends him on his way. The true owner comes home, sees his car missing, and calls the cops. "Sorry, we stopped the car, and the driver said it was you so we gave him $5 for gas and let him go on his way." Does that make you any happier? All this professorial knucklehead had to do was give the cop his ID, and thank him for showing up to protect his property. Tyhe cop didn't know him from teh next guy, and wantd to see proof that he was the resident he said he was. But this yahoo had to take a nostalgic trip down Freedom March lane, and refused to cooperaste. I'd say the same if the professor was black, white, Asian, Latin, Native American, striped, or polka dotted. Police want Id, you give it to them, unless you're a bad guy, have something to hide, or are a moronic yahoo. The cop didn't randomly stop by the house just because. He was there due to a call that the polie received. Sort of like "just doing his job". Then Mr Full Of Himself goes racial on him. Why is it that the black cop sides with the actions of the white cop? Be careful, now. Keep those racial cards in teh deck. 
    Posted by AZPAT

I am just curious as to how one ruins an economy in recession.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jasonr511. Show Jasonr511's posts

obama is like the jets in the playoffs, one and done!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: who is racist here? : Bub, About 3 months ago I got pulled over in Houston, driving a rental Yukon, looking for my bank's branch, near where I do business. One cop was black, the other white. They pulled me over because the rental car had an illegal tag. They kept me there for over 2 hours at midnight. I did exactly as they told me to do, especially giving them my licence and rental agreement. I asked them several times what they wanted me to do: keep going, leave the car and call the rental agency to have them come get it, what? They NEVER gave me an alternative. Finally, they decided to let me go, and then scolded me for driving such a nice vehicle arounds such a bad neighborhood at night. "It sticks out in this area, as if you're looking for illgal drugs and a female companion to party with". Now, just who was profiling,a dn what were they profiling? Cops are paid to protect and defens. OK, teh TV stuff is over. They NEED to profile stuff to stay ahead of crime. Did I like getting stopped? No, especially because teh stop was for nothing I did or didn't do. Did I get mad at the cops? A little, but only because they would give me an answer as to what tyey wanted me to do for 2 hours. But, if I was black, would there be justification as to the stop being racial (black guy, new Yukon, bad part of town at midnight)? The stop was for teh illegal tag, NOTHING ELSE. Somehow I don't think a black guy would have felt the same.  Racism is a 2 way street. A big step in stopping this nonsense is to develop one way rules for EVERYONE to go by. Until all sides do so, we're got what we've got. 
    Posted by AZPAT

You were looking for an ATM near midnight in a bad part of town? For "business"? With your wife at home in another state?

Umm, sure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jasonr511. Show Jasonr511's posts

Cant wait till we have jeb bush in the "WHITE" House, Maybe he can bring back the bowling alley, and remove the basketball court..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

When I was in the military, I had at least two racial incidents although I'm still not sure, after all these years, if the first one qualifies as racial. Both were the result of my own personality defects.
    I was working in an office. One of the civilian women was a beautiful black woman. She used to call me "Honey". I was suffering from terminal low self esteem so I assumed I couldn't possibly be attractive to her. One day, she called me "Honey" again. I told her not to say that again to me. She asked why. I replied..."You know why." I was referring to my perception that I wasn't worthy of such an affectionate term. However, because of our racial difference, it came out sounding like something else.
    I was also anti-social and never said hello to anyone except officers. Of course, I had to salute them. I passed a black person on the base with my usual indifference. Later, at the mess hall, he sat down at my table with two of his friends. He informed them that I was a racist because I ignored him on the street. I replied with what some others on this website have said..."I'm completely unprejudiced. I hate everyone." We all became good friends.
    The racial situation is such that trouble can start with much less than what happened in Cambridge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

When I was in the military, I had at least two racial incidents although I'm still not sure, after all these years, if the first one qualifies as racial. Both were the result of my own personality defects. I was working in an office. One of the civilian women was a beautiful black woman. She used to call me "Honey". I was suffering from terminal low self esteem so I assumed I couldn't possibly be attractive to her. One day, she called me "Honey" again. I told her not to say that again to me. She asked why. I replied..."You know why." I was referring to my perception that I wasn't worthy of such an affectionate term. However, because of our racial difference, it came out sounding like something else. I was also anti-social and never said hello to anyone except officers. Of course, I had to salute them. I passed a black person on the base with my usual indifference. Later, at the mess hall, he sat down at my table with two of his friends. He informed them that I was a racist because I ignored him on the street. I replied with what some others on this website have said..."I'm completely unprejudiced. I hate everyone." We all became good friends. The racial situation is such that trouble can start with much less than what happened in Cambridge.
    Posted by Yapple
    i agree,in some cases its hard to be yourself,and say what you normally would say,for it can be taken the wrong way.i like all people.im prejudice to hate.another thing thats is difficult.is all in all we are humans,and americans,but if there was a crime,and someone needs to be identified,you have to say well he was a white man,or a black man.no matter how better it could get.there will still be,black,and white.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Cant wait till we have jeb bush in the "WHITE" House, Maybe he can bring back the blowing alley, and remove the basketball court..
    Posted by Jasonr511

"Blowing Alley"

Are you insinuating that Jeb is a coke fiend or do you think he is a male prostitvte. He is a Bush so both are likely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyrulez. Show bradyrulez's posts

paob,

I do respect your opinion. I have moved to the Baltimore area and I am the minority here so I have sort of walked in your shoes. For the most part everyone is nice here and I have conversations with black ppl every single day. As for me and you I simply just think we agree to disagree. I see the situation as police were called to a house where a possible break-in was occuring. The cop showed up and asked the man who answered the dooor to produce an ID that he was in fact the home-owner. The man refused and thought it was a racial remark. Tensions were heated and the man was arrested for disorderly conduct. To me this seems normal. I would expect the same thing to happan to me if I didnt produce an ID if a similar occurence happaned. I truly to not believe it was a case for racial profiling. I guess this is where we disagree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyrulez. Show bradyrulez's posts

I do know Gates produced the ID it was just after the exchange of words.

Sections
Shortcuts