Who is the most overrated player of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: Who is the most overrated player of all time?

Michael Vick is the most overrated player in recent memory.  When he was with the Falcons all the announcers were in agreement that Vick would win a SB at some point. He was the most overrated overhyped player of all time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the most overrated player of all time?:
    I defend my choice of Ryan Leaf. All the hype prior to the draft that year was who's better Leaf or Manning?  who will be #1 overall.... well how dat work for ya San Diego? 
    Posted by HRK103

That's very true. Leaf was a neutron bomb just waiting to implode. You never really know any of these guys coming out of colege.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I nominate eli manning. Coasting on his brother's coattails from day one and winner of the luckiest SB title ever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

I would say Michael Vick. Before the dog fighting there was so much hype about him. Before his last season with Atlanta he said that he felt he was a better QB than both Manning and Brady. I remember one of those clowns on ESPN saying that when it all done Vick will win 4 superbowls! The same guy said that Manning and Mcnabb would win 4 each as well. How long do these guys think that these players are going to be around? Do they even think things out before they say it on TV? Some of the dumbest things ever said come from ESPN and they were all over the Mike Vick hype.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Drew Bledsoe, and you wish the Jets would cut Revis.  He will be a Jet for 5 years, not so sure about your kept QB and #1 WR....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Over rated by who ? The media, the fans?

If the question is, who is the most over rated in his own mind then Revis wins in a land slide.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

HEY DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A JIM KELLEY?  4 SUPER BOWLS  O WINS BUT GREAT QB  GREAT PERSON  GREAT TEAM PLAYER  OK MOST OVERRATED IS SHANNON SHARP. SORRY BUT DAN MARINO,JIM KELLEY,JOHN ELWAY, AND SOME GUY PATRIOTS GOT WAS THE BEST QB DRAFT EVER AND ALL THREE WERE GREAT QB'S EXCEPT THAT GUY WE GOT AND SHANNON SHARP OVERRATED
    Posted by timesrtough

Shannon Sharpe is overrated. Put his numbers and accolades up against any other tight end in NFL history and he blows them out the water. He killed the Patriots thru out his years playing. Dan Marino was defintely a great player but he is way way overrated. His claim to the HOF was based soley on stats, which Favre shot down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Joe Namath definitely is the most overrated player in all sports. He is treated as one of the best QBs while in fact being the worst QB to consistently start for a team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good thread killa.

I think most of us understood the question.

I agree that Favre is overrated. Take him off your top 10 list if you like but he is not the most overrated. imo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Vick is a good call.  Great athlete, mediocre at best QB.  He was so fun to watch in open space, so people equated that with him being "great". I could ever understand it. I think he won 2 career playoff games in like 6 seasons. Not awful, but certainly nothing good either. Biggest mistake was not seeing the potential in Schaub and them sitting on Vick because he sold t-shirts. Blank/McKay should have dealt him when his stock was high. And I said that BEFORE the dog fighting thing too. They held on to him for race reasons and marketing reasons. Obviously, an enormous mistake.
    Posted by russgriswold

Great one. I live in Atlanta and my God, even last year when he came down to the Georgia Dome with the Eagles, the ignorant, moronic fans were yelling, "We want Vick." Over Matt Ryan? Good one.

He was an absolute god down here and still is. When his dogfighting story broke, ESPN came down for a panel discussion with local radio personalities. When famed radio talk show host Neel Boortz said that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would NOT have gotten away with this (which is what those of the "racist" mind were thinking down here), the crowd broke into a riot and ESPN cancelled the remaining 30 minutes.

They'd STILL take him back here if they could...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

Vick was a god down there so that helps me make the call Mike Vick is for sure one of the most overrated athletes of all time

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Franco Harris has to be it.  I never saw him make a good run, yet everyone raved about him.  His whole career was based on the Immaculate Reception.  I can think of dozens of better runners. Chris Carter has the numbers, but I never saw him make a play that impressed me.  Watch a couple of Randy Moss games and you will see a catch that only Moss makes. If you think Joe Namath was overrated you never saw him play.  He used to routinely make the Pats look like amateurs.  He is the only person to ever make the Jets winners. You might as well say that Mickey Mantle was overrated.  People are wrong about Marino.  I can't think of a single QB who got the ball off and avoided sacks the way he could.  He also was the only QB to beat the Bears in 1985.  He put up 38 points against a D that allowed only 10.7 points per game in its other 15 games and is considered to be one of the best defenses of all time. Nobody overrated McMahon more than he himself.
    Posted by TampaPete

Yes Namath and the Jets routinely beat the Pats of the late 60's and early 70's.  So did every other team, the Pats of those years were atrocious so I don't see how that would make Namath an all time great.  The point made by Pmike is correct, where are these guys rated.  You hear about the great QB's- Montana, Bradshaw, Unitas, Elway, Starr, Marino and Namath (and more).  My point is all of those guys except Namath have numbers or wins to back up their greatness.  I think Namath's name is on the list because of "the Guarantee" and all the Broadway Joe hype he received as a New York football icon.  Namath has a losing record as a QB, he only had 4 winning seasons, went to the playoffs twice in his career.  He won the SB, the next year lost the first game of the playoffs and never went back again.  He led the NFL in interceptions 4 years of his 12 seasons.  He simply is not an all time great, not even close.
    I'm not saying he wasn't good, he did win the Super Bowl once.  But does he belong on the list with those guys above?  No way, I don't think he's a top 50 QB all time so IMO he's overrated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Well shenanigan, I thought when I wrote that about Namath that someone would point out that the Pats were not so good in those years.  In fact, from '67 to '75 they didn't have a winning season.  Even though they were bad, it didn't mean you couldn't tell who the great opponents were.   Riggins and Simpson looked really good against the Pats too.

But maybe I thought Namath was great because I was an AFL fan and the AFL didn't get any respect.  One of my high school coaches called the AFL a "MIckey Mouse" league.  Having the Jets beat Baltimore was one of the greatest sports moments of my lifetime. 

Namath didn't get into the HOF because he was terrible.  He also played before passing stats were padded by all the passes under 5 yards.

This is from Wikipedia: 

While his career statistics are not exceptional, Namath was the game's first true media superstar and Namath was the first quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards during the 14 game 1967 season. This feat was not to be achieved again until Dan Fouts topped 4,000 yards during the 1979 season in a 16 game season. Namath threw for 4,000 yards under old rules that gave much less protection to both the quarterback and receivers. Namath's play on the field in the years before his knees seriously limited his mobility helped evolve the quarterback position and the NFL style of play from a run oriented ball control game to today's more open passing style. Perhaps the accolades of experts say it best. Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh stated that Namath was "the most beautiful, accurate, stylish passer with the quickest release I've ever seen." Hall of Fame coach Don Shula stated that Namath was "one of the 3 smartest quarterbacks of all time."

I don't mind being on the side of Shula and Walsh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In the past Archie Manning, current Jay Cutler both QB's got/get quite a bit of hype and have never made it to the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Drew Bledsoe, I love the guy he and Parcells resurrected the franchise. But this team was svcking wind when the football gods sent Mo Lewis flying into Drew. TB took over and this team has never looked back, DB went to Buffalo and Dallas and svck at both. He was known to try to force the ball, and was to slow on his feet and in his reads.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmjoh0. Show cmjoh0's posts

End of discussion...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Manning.....ALL that money (highest paid QB) and only one superbowl. I'd expect a better return on my dollar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Eli Manning

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Vick is the most overated player over the last 15 years. Great athlete with great arm and all. Never won a thing. If his huge Falcons contract and steady stream of commercial endorsements were an indication of how good he actually was he'd be up there with Brady and Peyton.....and he's not and never will be.

Worst all time was Joe Namath. Easily. Bad stats all around. He got into the Hall based largely on the fond recollections of the media. He should not be in there at all. Those who remember, will recall that every four out of five plays the Jets ran in that SB were running plays. Namath was below mediocre and the following proves it.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

"Broadway" Joe also has the unique distinction of making fur coats fashionable for men to wear. And we all know only hot chicks and macked-out pimps were meant to wear fur

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I'll go a little unconventional here and say Michael Irvin.

Why Michael Irvin? Because he got into the Hall of Fame way too early and ahead of other receivers (like Andre Reed) who probably belong there, but aren't.

OK, I know he was the "playmaker" and all, and that those Cowboys teams won three Super Bowls.

But really.....don't they still win those three Super Bowls with a #1 receiver from that era like, say, Antonio Freeman, as long as they still have Aikman, Smith, Novacek, Alvin Harper, that insanely good offensive line and that great defense?

I think they do.

I think Irvin was a great WR, but I also happen to think that WRs in general are overrated, and that Irvin was fast-tracked to the Hall of Fame unjustifiably.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Joe Namath and Trent Dilfer

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Deion Sanders. All flash. Couldn't tackle. Not durable. How much time did he spend on IR because his toe hurt?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Donovan McNabb?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Amen .... and largely because the Eagles always seemed to choke in big games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Considering the hype he had coming out of college, Tony Mandarich.