Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?

Are you sick of endless arguments about whether or not Bill Belichick is the best GM in football or just the second best?  Could you care less whether the Pats throw 38 times or 40 times a game?  Are you sick of arguing whether Ben Jarvus Green Ellis should carry the ball two more times a game--especially now that he's a Bengal?

Me too.  This offseason seems interminable.  And if I have to read one more post from Rusty telling us how smart he is and how stupid the rest of us are because we don't understand how spoiled rotten Brady is, I think I'm going to hurl. 

So if you're sick of all those arguments, maybe you can join me in settling a much more important dispute.  I'm sitting here drinking a nice Canadian Whisky (Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve).  An hour ago, I tried an interesting Scotch (Bruichladdich Organic).  (You need this much whisky when you're watching the Leafs . . .)

Anyway it got me thinking (in that slightly inebriated kind of way one thinks after three glasses of whisky) which country produces the absolute best whisky (Scotch, Canadian spelling) or whiskey (Irish, American spelling)? So I'm asking for your help . . . no arguments, no fights, no assertions of intellectual superiority, and please no insults . . . there's no wrong answer . . . just let us know which country's whisk(e)y you like best . . . 

And if you need more information to offer an informed opinion, by all means get off the couch and get yourself a wee dram before you answer . . . cheers!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from a_smile_from_a_veil. Show a_smile_from_a_veil's posts

Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Scotland gets the call tonite. Single malt Oban Scotch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?:
    [QUOTE]Can't go wrong with any of those. Scotland gets the call tonite. Single malt Oban Scotch.
    Posted by a_smile_from_a_veil[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge fan of Lagavulin . . . love that peat.  But I'll tell you, this Forty Creek Canadian stuff has got me thinking . . . 

There's no wrong answer here, though . . . kind of like arguing about redheads, blondes, and brunettes . . .  they all have their charms . . . no need to exclude any . . . 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

LOL As long as its 80% proof bro. If I had to choose I'd to with Irish. And always been partial to blondes :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]LOL As long as its 80% proof bro. If I had to choose I'd to with Irish. And always been partial to blondes :)
    Posted by 1guy1sharp[/QUOTE]

Irish blondes are always a good choice!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Scots know things beter than most anyone: whiskey and bagpipes
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you jints, being of both scotch and irish dessent(sp) I got the both worlds, the Irish can drink it better, but the Scotch make it better! Cheers all! KMc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from a_smile_from_a_veil. Show a_smile_from_a_veil's posts

Good call on Lagavulin, thats one hearty Scotch.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : I'm a huge fan of Lagavulin . . . love that peat.  But I'll tell you, this Forty Creek Canadian stuff has got me thinking . . .  There's no wrong answer here, though . . . kind of like arguing about redheads, blondes, and brunettes . . .  they all have their charms . . . no need to exclude any . . . 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Irish Jameson 15 yr old pot stilled for a little over $100 is the smoothest best whiskey I have ever tasted.

My close second favorite is a Scotish... Glenlivet, and Black Bull is a unique treat also Scotish.

I won't turn down any of the better ones though like Walker black or blue label... ok now I am thirsty.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

I'll have a shot with anyone named "Glen..." as long as it's 18 year. Gotta make sure you drink legally!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I'm a bourbon fan, Makers Mark. And its made in the USA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a bourbon fan, Makers Mark. And its made in the USA.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

Makers Mark is a fine bourbon . . . one of my favorites too.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I'll have a shot with anyone named "Glen..." as long as it's 18 year. Gotta make sure you drink legally!
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

Have you had the Macallan 18 year old sherry cask aged?  That "Mac's" a fine one to share a shot with, but it's more than a tad pricey.  Still, it vies for number one among the whiskies I've tried.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Non-Super. Show Non-Super's posts

Now here's a subject after my own heart. In my younger years, I started off drinking Bourbons (Maker's Mark was a real favorite, though volume wise, Jimmy Beam won). The Irish never appealed to me, though there is actually one in the family from which I descend (Power's). Later I started enjoying the Scots. At first the softer, sweeter ones, (mainly Speysides) slowly moving over to the peatier, smokier ones (Highlands and Islays). After taking a few years off, those now seem a bit harsh for me though, so I'm back to the rounder, softer (and slightly older) Speysides. My wife and I just finished the organic Bruichladdich. A little harsh and not as rounded and full as we would like. Currently working on a Glenfiddich 15 yr. old "Spirit Still No.1" Very nice!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Popcorn Sutton...  one of the last of the original white whiskey makers.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/mar/16/moonshiner-popcorn-sutton-dead/

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/article/who-invented-whisky-the-scots-or-the-irish/

It was my impression that the Scots in the colonial days made whiskey *moonshine* on the side to avoid taxation on it. They left their homelands to avoid taxation and found they white whiskey production in the colonies was very profitable.

Joe Kennedy was rumored to make pretty good whiskey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I also don't mind sipping Crown Royal Reserve...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I am not a big whiskey drinker, mainly a beer guy. But to chime in I will say anything as long as its NOT Dewars! For every bottle of Dewars you buy you are padding the Kennedys pockets!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Now here's a subject after my own heart. In my younger years, I started off drinking Bourbons (Maker's Mark was a real favorite, though volume wise, Jimmy Beam won). The Irish never appealed to me, though there is actually one in the family from which I descend (Power's). Later I started enjoying the Scots. At first the softer, sweeter ones, (mainly Speysides) slowly moving over to the peatier, smokier ones (Highlands and Islays). After taking a few years off, those now seem a bit harsh for me though, so I'm back to the rounder, softer (and slightly older) Speysides. My wife and I just finished the organic Bruichladdich. A little harsh and not as rounded and full as we would like. Currently working on a Glenfiddich 15 yr. old "Spirit Still No.1" Very nice!
    Posted by patmandk[/QUOTE]

Interesting . . . I didn't find the Bruichladdich harsh, but I agree it wasn't full and rounded.  In fact, quite thin in the mouth--though I thought it had a nice clean flowery taste that I enjoyed.  

Very different, though, from my favourite, Lagavulin.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Popcorn Sutton...  one of the last of the original white whiskey makers. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/mar/16/moonshiner-popcorn-sutton-dead/ http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/article/who-invented-whisky-the-scots-or-the-irish/ It was my impression that the Scots in the colonial days made whiskey *moonshine* on the side to avoid taxation on it. They left their homelands to avoid taxation and found they white whiskey production in the colonies was very profitable. Joe Kennedy was rumored to make pretty good whiskey.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Hey Phil . . . I've never had the whiskey, but I got a kick out of the picture of old Popcorn (may he rest in peace).  Best thing about the link to the Knox news, though, is when I went to the site, right above Popcorn's picture was the weather report:  "Dense Fog Alert" . . . Somehow that seemed appropriate right above the old moonshiner's bearded face .  . 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : haha yes indeed! I forgot Scots invented golf too

And this too, Jints  . . .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Non-Super. Show Non-Super's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Interesting . . . I didn't find the Bruichladdich harsh, but I agree it wasn't full and rounded.  In fact, quite thin in the mouth--though I thought it had a nice clean flowery taste that I enjoyed.   Very different, though, from my favourite, Lagavulin.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe "harsh" isn't the right word. I must say, also, that it took us some time to finish the bottle and by the end we liked the taste much better. (maybe because by then it was down to a mere 35% alcohol?)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Yeah, maybe "harsh" isn't the right word. I must say, also, that it took us some time to finish the bottle and by the end we liked the taste much better. (maybe because by then it was down to a mere 35% alcohol?)
    Posted by patmandk[/QUOTE]

Hah! . . . I have a bottle of Macallan 12 year old that's like that . . . very drinkable because there's not much "drink" left in it.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Haven't had a drink for 5+ years...  When I did it was in the Kentucky bourbon/Tennessee sour mash lines.  Today's Bourbon is just as smooth as Canadian Blended Whiskey, and just as spicy and flavorful as Scotch.  Only difference is that it's not boring like Blended Whiskey, and not gut-wrenching peat-based-tastes-like-kerosense as Scotch...

Maker's Mark 9 year
    Woodhead Reserve
    Knob Creek

-Currently better quality than any Scotch on the market imo.  Within the past 15 years, bourbon has taken the historically higher standards of quality that Scotch has, and have blown Scotch outta the water, flying past Scotch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Scots know things beter than most anyone: whiskey and bagpipes

And you gotta have a few snorts to hop into a kilt and sort of skip around.

Sections
Shortcuts