Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?

I keep them all on my shelf. Right now I have a couple bottles of CC's, a couple Crown, one Eagle Rare, a Makers, one Beamer, and one Elijah Craig, and a bottle of Sazerac, one last bit of MaCallan, a bottle of Glenlivet, a spare bit of Laphroig above my fridge off the shelf, some Chivas 18 yr Old, and Bushmills SM. Right so which type is best?

I find myself using Crown as my daily drinker these days -- Canadians really do go down easy. 

But I think for distinctiveness both American and Scotch whisk(e)ys take the cake. Forced to choose ... I think the children have bested the parents ... how many bourbon stills set aside their liquor in Scotch barrels? None. Now, vice versa ... how many Scotch distilleries set theirs aside in Bourbon casks for added flavor? Lots, as well as Irish distilleries too. Yes, I realize part of that is the process ... but whatever.

Bourbon is the finest product.... I'll be drinking some today at the New Orleans Derby as well. 

I'm adding one bourbon this afternoon ... a new bottle just for after the event. Which should I go with? Don't say Pappy, because if I could afford a bottle I would get it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y?:
    [QUOTE]I'm a bourbon fan, Makers Mark. And its made in the USA.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]
    Right on Bro.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Have you had the Macallan 18 year old sherry cask aged?  That "Mac's" a fine one to share a shot with, but it's more than a tad pricey.  Still, it vies for number one among the whiskies I've tried.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    Had it once. Great. One, if not the most expensive in the world.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ireland has the only brewery in the world that the whiskey is so good even heaven takes it share

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Ireland has the only brewery in the world that the whiskey is so good even heaven takes it share
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Actually ... they all do. The "angel's share" is the part that evaporates out of the cask. 

There is a new brand of Bourbon called Angel's Envy crafted by Lincoln Henderson. It's supposed to be finished in port barrels, which I wonder if that makes it bourbon at all, by the technical specs.

At any rate ... it is so good (according to Henderson) the Angels wish they had a larger share ... lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Expensive but best stuff I ever had:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Actually ... they all do. The "angel's share" is the part that evaporates out of the cask.  There is a new brand of Bourbon called Angel's Envy crafted by Lincoln Henderson. It's supposed to be finished in port barrels, which I wonder if that makes it bourbon at all, by the technical specs. At any rate ... it is so good (according to Henderson) the Angels wish they had a larger share ... lol.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

^ That's just ridiculous.  That's gonna offer all those clean, carmalized port and cognac enhancements towards helping to heighten all those minor dried fruit, and light nut-flavors.  Just absurd the way The Bourbon Industry keeps experimenting, and fueling each other (and how it relates towards other spirits) to new heights.  That industry simply continues to raise the bar higher & higher.  

Zbellino, I know it's sorta the opposite of what you're discussing on this Angel's Envy novel boost of random flavor enhancements, but in terms of that Crown Royale goin' down smooth, and you lookin' for a decent priced bourbon...I think Woodhead Reserve would work out ideally as a crystal-clean smooth "everyday sipping" bourbon option right here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Irish Jameson 15 yr old pot stilled for a little over $100 is the smoothest best whiskey I have ever tasted. My close second favorite is a Scotish... Glenlivet, and Black Bull is a unique treat also Scotish. I won't turn down any of the better ones though like Walker black or blue label... ok now I am thirsty.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Jameson is the best whiskey I have ever tasted as well. I used to be a scotch guy but fell onto Irish Whiskey and have not touched much scotch since. This 18 year reserve is amazing...

http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/Our-Whiskeys/Jameson-Reserves/Jameson-18-Year-Old-Limited-Reserve.aspx

One of the regulars in my restaurant brought this in for me and we drank half the bottle for lunch. If you can find it, get it.

P.S BB is the best GM in the universe Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : ^ That's just ridiculous.  That's gonna offer all those clean, carmalized port and cognac enhancements towards helping to heighten all those minor dried fruit, and light nut-flavors.  Just absurd the way The Bourbon Industry keeps experimenting, and fueling each other (and how it relates towards other spirits) to new heights.  That industry simply continues to raise the bar higher & higher.   Zbellino , I know it's sorta the opposite of what you're discussing on this Angel's Envy novel boost of random flavor enhancements, but in terms of that Crown Royale goin' down smooth, and you lookin' for a decent priced bourbon...I think Woodhead Reserve would work out ideally as a crystal-clean smooth "everyday sipping" bourbon option right here.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I've had just about every mass market Bourbon, Laz. Including Wood-ward reserve, and the 18 year variety thereof. 

I used to make it to tastings every year, around Derby time, but lost the steam for it. 

At any rate, Woodward is great, but when I say smooth, I say it is a "session" beverage. That is, it has nothing that cloys. 

Woodward Reserve, like a lot of bourbons, can get a touch cloying compared to something like Crown. The trademark of Canadian whisky is that it doesn't offer the flavor, but is incredibly drinkable. 

I used to consider Makers my daily drinker, but just got spent and wanted a change. 

Somedays when I'll be drinking from noon-on, 10-15 drinks, till 1 or 2 am, it calls for a lighter, more approachable (if less flavorful and complex) whisky. And if I'm packing those quantities, I like to also hit it up once or twice on an average night.  

Plus, I won't get Woodward today on the LA Derby because it is the official Whisky of the Kentucky Derby. It feels sacrilege! Part of me wants to go all LA and sip on Sazerac Rye in tribute to NOLA. Another part thinks that some old-timey Van Winkle 12 might do the trick, but I'm a little light these days, and the price tag is edging out of what is reasonable, what with horse wagers to pay for and all. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I always found that in College I came off as much more the cultivated, high-class renaissance man I was aiming to portray myself as, when I paced myself towards the lighter palate tastes found through the stroh's light 15 pack of cans, once I had polished of the 12 pack of heine bottles on any given friday night red-carpet-affair soiree in my dormitory.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a bourbon fan, Makers Mark. And its made in the USA.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]
    Makers is pretty good.  But the real fine brand for me is Woodford Reserve.  That place does it on such a smaller scale then Maker's or any of the other big ones.  Their stuff is fantastic and smooth. 

I was lucky enough while on business down in Kentucky to have and off day.  I took in the distillery tour and the building where they keep all the barrels smelled so darned good.  It takes a lot of work, but they cycle the barrels on a daily basis throughout different parts of the building.  It's naturally temperature controlled.

If a place doesn't have WR, I fall back on the Makers and I'm still a happy camper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : I've had just about every mass market Bourbon, Laz. Including Wood-ward reserve, and the 18 year variety thereof.  I used to make it to tastings every year, around Derby time, but lost the steam for it.  At any rate, Woodward is great, but when I say smooth, I say it is a "session" beverage. That is, it has nothing that cloys.  Woodward Reserve, like a lot of bourbons, can get a touch cloying compared to something like Crown. The trademark of Canadian whisky is that it doesn't offer the flavor, but is incredibly drinkable.  I used to consider Makers my daily drinker, but just got spent and wanted a change.  Somedays when I'll be drinking from noon-on, 10-15 drinks, till 1 or 2 am, it calls for a lighter, more approachable (if less flavorful and complex) whisky. And if I'm packing those quantities, I like to also hit it up once or twice on an average night.   Plus, I won't get Woodward today on the LA Derby because it is the official Whisky of the Kentucky Derby. It feels sacrilege! Part of me wants to go all LA and sip on Sazerac Rye in tribute to NOLA. Another part thinks that some old-timey Van Winkle 12 might do the trick, but I'm a little light these days, and the price tag is edging out of what is reasonable, what with horse wagers to pay for and all. 

Z . .  I'm not sure you can get it in the states, but you should give the Forty Creek a try sometime.  It's got that Canadian smoothness but with more interesting complexity.  I've never had the more mass market Barrel Select, but the various Reserves are quite nice.  

Of course, a nice bourbon sounds like the right ticket for the Derby. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I wish I could add to this discussion but the problem with me is that I like them all.  Not every maker but all types.  I go back and forth between Scotch ( have a bottle of JW Blue that is fantastic, I know pricey and blended  but smooth with a touch of peat without being overwhelming like a Laphroag) , Blue uses min. 18 year old whiskies in the blend. That one I break out only on occasion because of the price.

Like the Forty Creek Confederate Reserve which is now my favorite Canadian. 

Still working my way through the bourbons.  Not crazy about Maker's.  I actually prefer Weller.  But have not tried many of the more aged and expensive bottles yet.  Any suggestions?

For Irish, try Connemara, it's great.  Also, Red Breast 12 yr.  Both very good. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Laphroaig or Lagavulin, nothing compares if you like peat.  Bushmills or Jameson are more than passable.   

As a Scot living in exile, I'll give one guess which way I voted.

Whatever you drink, Slainte!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

TRUE STORY :

It's 1998 and I notice a tag sale ( garage sale ) going on at a big ol Victorian so I stop and check it out.
    Usual fair of trinkets and baubles.

Then I notice an old wooden beer crate under a table that says Massachusetts Brew Co. ...looks to be about 50 years old . I happen to have been building a bar bar in my home and thought it might be a nice addition .

So I reaech under to pull it out and geez , it's heavy . I peel back an old table cloth that's resting on top of it and BLAMMO ... It's filled with full and half full bottles of WHISKEY ! Maybe 8 or 10 of bottles of them and the bottles are old . Very old . Some are stamped PRE-WAR and still have their official paper liquor seals attached . I brushed back the dust on one and it reads 1938 . My heart starts to race . I peer under the table to see if there's any other boxes and...there is ! One other box . It's an old cardboard  , not a wooden crate but it too is filled with whiskey botles ..10 of 12 . I grab the old table cloth and cover up the stash - then quietly flag the home owner over to the cache .
       How much ?
    The 50-ish year old lady says "Um...I don't know , is there a price marked ? " I reply no but what would you like? ... She says " I actually dont know if I should be selling them ...they're old and I dont want anybody to get sick if they drink them " I say I just collect the bottles and she says "Ok...how about $20 ? " My first thought is "a piece ? ...but I hush myself and say for BOTH boxes ? and she says YES .
     I've been enjoying them ever since .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I always found that in College I came off as much more the cultivated, high-class renaissance man I was aiming to portray myself as, when I paced myself towards the lighter palate tastes found through the stroh's light 15 pack of cans, once I had polished of the 12 pack of heine bottles on any given friday night red-carpet-affair soiree in my dormitory.  

LOL.

Beer is the classic example. I don't usually drink the best beers all day long. 

One: it's expensive.
    Two: They tend to wear you out on the flavor after a while.
    Three: They are really boozy.

Sometimes a lighter beer is better. 

Strohs, though, is one of the better adjuncts -- I think they still brew it wood fired kettles. Back in my undergrad we'd drink Narragansetts when it was a long day of drinking. But usually those 12 or 15 would disappear in six hours, instead over the course of a whole day and evening. 

LOL. 

Nowadays I grab for something like a light ale. NOLA blond is cheap and readily availble in the city, and you can easily down a bunch of them. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I can't even recall my favorite beer...  The name always escapes me after this half decade temperance movement of mine.  Here, maybe you can help solidify this drink back in the memory bank:  Green bottle, I always confuse it with another fav, but a far, FAR lesser beer in comparison: Pilsner Urquel.  I believe even the bottle itself IS green with a white a label, just like pilsner u.  I even believe that it IS a pilsner too...but the taste is far more comparable to that of some pilsner/creamy belgian white hybrid combo...?  Any ideas zbellino (it always kills me remembering it, then forgetting it all over again)?  <stepping out, so I'll be off for a little bit>

Lol RE: Strohs too...  That $5.99 15 pack was an undergrad staple...then as ya age a bit, you begin to actually wonder whether or not Stroh's actually dvmps their brew in zinc, copper and magnesium lined vats for that metallic-poisoning taste. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I can't even recall my favorite beer...  The name always escapes me after this half decade temperance movement of mine.  Here, maybe you can help solidify this drink back in the memory bank:  Green bottle, I always confuse it with another fav, but a far, FAR lesser beer in comparison: Pilsner Urquel.  I believe even the bottle itself IS green with a white a label, just like pilsner u.  I even believe that it IS a pilsner too...but the taste is far more comparable to that of some pilsner/creamy belgian white hybrid combo...?  Any ideas zbellino (it always kills me remembering it, then forgetting it all over again)?  <stepping out, so I'll be off for a little bit /> Lol RE: Strohs too...  That $5.99 15 pack was an undergrad staple...then as ya age a bit, you begin to actually wonder whether or not Stroh's actually dvmps their brew in zinc, copper and magnesium lined vats for that metallic-poisoning taste. 

Stella Artois?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I think this is the BEST DAMN THREAD of the post season on BDC !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

green death?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : Stella Artois?

O.k., so zbellino was apparently able to rattle off THAT correct answer in about 3 seconds...  Lol, Odds are that while speed-reading an encyclopedia while cooking sunday dinner and going through 3 classes of his students's tests, zbellino glanced across the room to the question that had dumbfounded me for the greater portion of this past year, and muttered to himself, "stella artois", before heading back to some light Immanuel Kant while simultaneously executing the ideal synge to lock-in the perfect amount of flavor and juice with his white wine dill-horseradish sea scallops...

Meanwhile, I can't find my shoes... Ah-Ooop, nope...got 'em- On my feet the whole time.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I think this is the BEST DAMN THREAD of the post season on BDC !!!
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

Thank you . . . nothing like a few drams to help us forget the end of last season . . . and get in the mood for next. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Makes the Best Whisk(e)y? : O.k., so zbellino was apparently able to rattle off THAT correct answer in about 3 seconds...  Lol, Odds are that while speed-reading an encyclopedia while cooking sunday dinner and going through 3 classes of his students's tests, zbellino glanced across the room to the question that had dumbfounded me for the greater portion of this past year, and muttered to himself, "stella artois", before heading back to some light Immanuel Kant while simultaneously executing the ideal synge to lock-in the perfect amount of flavor and juice with his white wine dill-horseradish sea scallops... Meanwhile, I can't find my shoes... Ah-Ooop, nope...got 'em- On my feet the whole time.    

Laz, you are truly a funny, funny guy . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

[QUOTE]green death?
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]
    The Green Death got me into big trouble more than once.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

I have wanted to travel to Scottland just to sample and tour the distilleries for years.  I have a few friends that want to join me and we are still talking about it.  Just imagine a driver taking a van full of your closest drinking buddies from distillery to distillery.  Speyside to Morseyside. 

The Scottish one pound note has a picture of the copper alembics from the MacCallen distillery printed across the entire note.

The process for making beer and whiskey is exactly the same until you get to the distilling/fermentation step.

I love Lagaunitas IPA for my beer drinking.  Hoppy clean and fresh taste.  I usually pick up a case for $22 at costco.  Cant beat the price.