Who Needs To Be Blamed for the Regression Since 2004?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

Who Needs To Be Blamed for the Regression Since 2004?

So no Super Bowls since the 04/05 season and who's to blame the most for this regression in championships?

a) Tom Brady - since 2005 playoff record 5-5 and hence no rings, no late game comebacks, not very many high scoring games.

b) Offensive Line - Had trouble protecting Brady and picked the 2 worst possible games to be bad e.g. 2007 Super Bowl and yesterday. Also poor run blocking at times during the span.

c) WR/TE's - got away with modest guys at these positions but since beginning of 05 season these guys have not gotten them the offensive points to win consistently in the playoffs.

d) RB's - Well aside from Corey Dillon in 2004 the Pats got away with decent RB's but now it appears that has caught up to them as well as they need a RB that can carry the rock ASAP b/c we all know Tom can't carry the offense anymore. They need someone to do for Brady that Terril Davis did for John Elway for those 2 years in Denver.

e) Defense - all phases of the defense have been in decline since the 04 Super Bowl as long gone are the days when you could hold Peyton Manning to 6 points as they can let Mark Sanchez score 28 so enough said here. It would be nice if the defense could play like they did in 03/04 but thats probably not going to happen anytime soon as the defense has been the weak link of this team since 2005. The run defense is inconsistent and the secondary constantly lets people get open and catch passes and also did I mention they have no pass rush.

f) Coaching - Bill Belichick has won 0 rings since Charlie Weis & Romeo Cremmel left following the 2004 season so can Bill win without effective Coordinators? In the past e.g. 2004 it was said that Bill could out scheme his opponents despite injures to 2 stargin CB's Ty Law & Ty Poole but those days are long gone.

g) Special Teams - No Adam Vinateri but Stephen Gostowoski has not been called upon to kick any game winning FG's in the post season at the buzzer with the exception of the San Diego game with under a minute to go. Part of this reason is b/c the Pats don't put themselves in position to win post season games anymore so we can't rate this area accurately.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Who Needs To Be Blamed for the Regression Since 2004?

You can't win a SB every year.

There are other organizations working hard to win too, you know?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

In Response to Re: Who Needs To Be Blamed for the Regression Since 2004?:
    [QUOTE]You can't win a SB every year. There are other organizations working hard to win too, you know?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Well I do apologize for wanting a Super Bowl win after a 14-2 season, or also after a 16-0 season, or after having a 21-3 lead over the Colts in the AFC title game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Problem is that the defenses of 2001,2003 and 2004 contained a special group of players that used BB's system and schemes to perfection. They were tough and could play smash mouth football. Inspirational leaders and smart players that could disguise what they were doing and confuse the best QB's and offensive co ordinaters. It was a unique match of them and BB that don't come along too often. Unfortunatley they got old and retired and really can't be replaced quickly. Pats did a stellar job this year rebuilding into a force on the run and well compete for the next few years again. Young players in playoffs sometimes struggle and it is a learning experience. Yesterday was the time when the Pats D of old would have bailed out the offense and got a key stop or turn over at a critical point and changed the game - these young guys are still learning. I still think they need to bring in a pass rusher to help the D in big games - somebody an offensive co ordinaters will have to factor into all their plans when they play the Pats. Oline is a bit of a mystery. They protected Brady to perfection all year but fell down yesterday and in the 2007 Superbowl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

That' a silliy thing to apologize for.  I think most fans want a SB victory every year.

I just think it would be kind of inaccurate to only factor in the Patriots when analyzing who wins the SB each year.

The Colts, Giants, Steelers, etc all have an impact on where you end up at the end of the year over the time period you are talking about.

If you are looking for what the Patriots could do better, it starts and ends with toughness and defense.  That is where they need to improve. 

It still doesn't guarantee victory - although I would have loved to see them play yesterday with Julius Peppers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

You need to study football history more. The Patriots won three Super Bowls and went to another a few years later. Teams get old and need to be rebuilt. Pretty simple. Kraft and Belichick have done a masterful job of retooling the team and back in contention! 14-2 in a rebuilding year? Are you kidding me? Boston sports fans have been blessed! The Patriot future is bright! Regression? Sorry, I see the Pats competing for the Super Bowl now and in the future! This next draft is big!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

I blame you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike473. Show Mike473's posts

I think people will feel a lot better about the status of this team once a little time has passed. This was a team that really suprised me. They went 14-2 with almost the worst statistical defensive team in the NFL. That is pretty impressive! The 2001 & 03/04 teams were a dynasty. That team had a rare mix of great defensive and offense players that is seen about once a decade in the NFL. Dallas in the 1990's, 49ers in the 80's, Steelers in the 70's etc. Usually once the run of 3 or 4 Super Bowls are over it is time for the core players to ride off into the sunset. As it did for most of our defensive players slowly over the following couple years. It just so happened our QB was right at the start of his career when the dynasty began, while many of the other core players were mid/later career.

Some are saying BB should be replaced. That's crazy! He is still a strong force. And, anyone who lived thru Pete Carolls time here knows things can go south fast following the loss of a great coach.

That being said, will the Patriots win another SB in the BB/TB era? I have no idea. It will depend on how this defense develops from here. In the playoffs, you have to be able to win games in different ways. If the opposing team shuts down your offense, you need to shut down that teams offense as well, and if might mean winning a game 12-6 or some other low scoring result. If the offense has to score over 30 points per game, at some point, might be 1st game, might be the super bowl, a team is gonna stop them, and a low scoring game will have to be won, or no Super Bowl in most cases. We have seen this many times. Teams that appear unstoppable on O get shut down. Manning, Kelly, Marino and on and on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

bandwagon fans like yourself who only show up to make negative posts during game threads

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

So what are the excuses for the ones that got away in 06 & 07 then? How did the defense get so old and useless in a span of 1 season e.g. from 04 to 05? The players that worked well in Bill Belichick's schemes all of a sudden stopped working after 2004 and the only real defections immediately after 2004 were Ty Law and Ty Poole and they were deemed not needed b/c they won with them on IR in 2004. Like I said I am not just ranting about this past post season as this slide started in the 2005 regular season and has continued to present and unless they fix it we won't see any more Super Bowls. I am looking at the big picture as this team was expected to win once the playoffs started and no they were not a rebuilding team as look at all the other lesser teams that have won Super Bowls since the Pats last won e.g. Giants, Steelers twice. The only 2 teams that were great were the Colts & Saints b/c of the QBs that they have but when you let Fat Head Ben & Eli Loser win Bowls while you come up empty that doesn't say alot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

"So no Super Bowls since the 04/05 season and who's to blame the most for this regression in championships?"

Read this over to yourself.  Really?  REALLY?  YOU are to blame.  Name all the teams that won three in a row.  Now name all the teams that won 5 in a decade.  Why did you think we should expect to do better than all that?  Its hard to win it all.  We put together some pretty good teams in the years we won, and we got some lucky breaks, and we won some squeakers both in the Superbowl and just getting there.  We have lost a few since then.  We contend every year, and every year you have a reasonable expectation of going to the Superbowl.  We won the division, what, 7 times from 2000 to 2009?  You wan't too much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I take issue with putting blame on Brady or Belichick. Brady was having an MVP season till yesterday; really just a phenominal, almost perfect year.

Belichick is one of, if not the most smartest coaches you'll ever find; who has changed, reshaped, every team we have had since he has been here...into winners.

The only problem I have is as an organization they have not done enough while the two of them are together. Branch should have never been traded in the first place (we win that Super Bowl that year) if he was on the team. Seymore should not of been traded for a draft pick two years away, the week before the season starts. We needed to make a push for Peppers. If we had Seymore and or Peppers yesterday we win that game and are a lock to win the whole thing.

Hey, no one really knows what we need, but I just wish they'd go all in while you have these two guys together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Who Needs To Be Blamed for the Regression Since 2004?:
    [QUOTE]So no Super Bowls since the 04/05 season and who's to blame the most for this regression in championships? a) Tom Brady - since 2005 playoff record 5-5 and hence no rings, no late game comebacks, not very many high scoring games. b) Offensive Line - Had trouble protecting Brady and picked the 2 worst possible games to be bad e.g. 2007 Super Bowl and yesterday. Also poor run blocking at times during the span. c) WR/TE's - got away with modest guys at these positions but since beginning of 05 season these guys have not gotten them the offensive points to win consistently in the playoffs. d) RB's - Well aside from Corey Dillon in 2004 the Pats got away with decent RB's but now it appears that has caught up to them as well as they need a RB that can carry the rock ASAP b/c we all know Tom can't carry the offense anymore. They need someone to do for Brady that Terril Davis did for John Elway for those 2 years in Denver. e) Defense - all phases of the defense have been in decline since the 04 Super Bowl as long gone are the days when you could hold Peyton Manning to 6 points as they can let Mark Sanchez score 28 so enough said here. It would be nice if the defense could play like they did in 03/04 but thats probably not going to happen anytime soon as the defense has been the weak link of this team since 2005. The run defense is inconsistent and the secondary constantly lets people get open and catch passes and also did I mention they have no pass rush. f) Coaching - Bill Belichick has won 0 rings since Charlie Weis & Romeo Cremmel left following the 2004 season so can Bill win without effective Coordinators? In the past e.g. 2004 it was said that Bill could out scheme his opponents despite injures to 2 stargin CB's Ty Law & Ty Poole but those days are long gone. g) Special Teams - No Adam Vinateri but Stephen Gostowoski has not been called upon to kick any game winning FG's in the post season at the buzzer with the exception of the San Diego game with under a minute to go. Part of this reason is b/c the Pats don't put themselves in position to win post season games anymore so we can't rate this area accurately.
    Posted by Leonard15[/QUOTE]

BLAME?......Barry OBAMA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

You don't need to be in a panic.The  Pats needs to draft real talented players and maybe trade a player or get a vetern in the free agency market.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Actually Belichick has had to rebuild this defense from close to scratch. By contrast the Jets built via free agency. Rex has great defensive mind and his personality seems to suit his team. I wonder if his tenure as a head coach will surpass Buddy's. There has been a serious turnover in player personal the last few years. The Jets did what any team that drafts poorly would do rely on imported players.

I seldom listen to a media that gives more ink to the Jets than statutory rapists (SEE LT).