Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say you?

i know some believe that the pats will move on to a 4-3 base. but for this discussion, let's assume that they will still roll with the 3-4 as the defense base. Tully has been a hybrid-tweener beast and many forget how great he was during that contract year in 2006. he was regularly starting and contributing and the pats were playing a 4-3 with him very often. He could be the best on the roster at flat out putting consistent pressure on the QB. perhaps the writing was on the wall for seymour the minute he was resigned and proved he could still do the job. in a 4-3, i can see both TBC and burgess in there as staters or major contributors. jarvis green and mike wright could be in the mix too but i see them more or better as backups. Brace and myron pryor could both be in the mix as starters by the end of the year. this team has great depth up front.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say ...

In a 3-4, it's gotta be Green.  Banta-Cain isn't big enough, I don't think, to play on a three-man line.  But I'm pretty sure it's going to be a four-man line, with Burgess and Green splitting time across from Warren.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Assuming the pats still roll with the 3-4 as their base defense, who on the roster is likely to replace seymour to start ...

banta cain will be outside LB,and burgess will be at DE.not to mention the players rotateing in and out in there sub-packages.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say ...

When you look at what BB has put on this team on the D side, I think he will play a defense that will change from game to game, keep the opponent guessing.  There are so many role players, who can play multiple positions, BB will take advantage of those skill sets.  Look at what he did in the pre-season and that kept everyone here guessing.  How better to confuse an opponent!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Re: Assuming the pats still roll with the 3-4 as their base defense, who on the roster is likely to replace seymour to start ...

In Response to Re: Assuming the pats still roll with the 3-4 as their base defense, who on the roster is likely to replace seymour to start the season? POLL:
    [QUOTE]banta cain will be outside LB,and burgess will be at DE.not to mention the players rotateing in and out in there sub-packages.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] i would assume that pierre woods would start at ouside linebacker. but then again, if  TBC isnt startg on the d-line, it may be natural that he starts at ouside LB. in 2006, he started there very often when thomas went down with pierrer serving as his backup. he did good enough to get that big contract from SF. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pondbridge. Show pondbridge's posts

Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say ...

Brace, the next big Patriots defensive star. Bill will at first have Ron in a rotation with Green, but he'll be starting at mid-season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say ...

Banta-Cain is not a 3-4 end.  He can play end in a 4-3, but if they play any 3-4, it has to be Jarvis Green.  With Seymour gone, it makes a lot of sense to switch to the 4-3, where guys like Banta-Cain and Burgess can make an impact rushing from the edges.  Wilfork and Brace would be stout against the run on the inside, and in passing situations, Green, Wright, and Pryor can rush from the inside.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I would like to see all the tweeners we have on this team play both positions guys like Thomas and Banta Cain and Burgess, perhaps Woods. I would like to see lots of movement pre snap with these guys all on the field. Banta Cain down in a 3 point with Thomas behind him standing up and as the QB gets to the line and starts making reads these players switching positions TBC stands up and off the line Thomas moves down. Lots of movement pre snap confuses most QB's do not know where the rush is coming from. Would like to see more Jarvis Green in the middle with Mike Wright beside him and Burgess and TBC playing end in nickel packages. Perhaps Pryor who looked god rushing the passer in preseason against the starters as well could be mixed in as well.

To answer your question of who will replace Seymour in a 3-4 alignment, I assume it is a toss-up between Green and Wright. Green has been the first player off the bench for a few years now in place of both Seymour and Warren. As for Wright they just signed him to a 4 year extension and it wasn't to play nose in a 3-4 at 295lbs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

DeWayne Robertson is available real cheap. For business purposes, BB should get him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i dont think they brought in burgess to play tidly winks.im sure he will start in seymours place,with green comeing in as a package play,or to rest burgess.banta cain had a great pre-season,and training camp.i could see him starting at OLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say you?:
    [QUOTE]I would like to see all the tweeners we have on this team play both positions guys like Thomas and Banta Cain and Burgess, perhaps Woods. I would like to see lots of movement pre snap with these guys all on the field. Banta Cain down in a 3 point with Thomas behind him standing up and as the QB gets to the line and starts making reads these players switching positions TBC stands up and off the line Thomas moves down. Lots of movement pre snap confuses most QB's do not know where the rush is coming from. Would like to see more Jarvis Green in the middle with Mike Wright beside him and Burgess and TBC playing end in nickel packages. Perhaps Pryor who looked god rushing the passer in preseason against the starters as well could be mixed in as well. To answer your question of who will replace Seymour in a 3-4 alignment, I assume it is a toss-up between Green and Wright. Green has been the first player off the bench for a few years now in place of both Seymour and Warren. As for Wright they just signed him to a 4 year extension and it wasn't to play nose in a 3-4 at 295lbs.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

Is Guyton hurt? Did you guys forget him? Guyton will be playing OLB in a 4-3, but I think there will be a lot of 3-4. Maybe at first there will be more 4-3 as Burgess adjusts and Brace learns his role, but after that it is a 3-4 and Guyton's size and speed means he will be starting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Good points about Wright. He is prob above Brace on the depth chart and will combine with Green to replace Seymour.

Brace and Wilfork clogging the middle with 675lbs will be a sight I'll want to see. Having mobile DT's in Wright/Green/Warren inside and rushing TBC/Thomas /Burgess on the ends will be fun as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Honestly, I would LOVE to see the big cloggers Wilfork and Brace in the middle, and Ty Warren and Derrick Burgess at Left and Right End respectivlty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

its a 4-3 patriot defense this year

and all players listed will help to replace seymours production

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say you?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who on the roster is likely to replace Seymour as a starter to start the season?... I vote for Tully Banta-Cain, who say you? : Is Guyton hurt? Did you guys forget him? Guyton will be playing OLB in a 4-3, but I think there will be a lot of 3-4. Maybe at first there will be more 4-3 as Burgess adjusts and Brace learns his role, but after that it is a 3-4 and Guyton's size and speed means he will be starting.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE] they have guyton along side mayo at MLB spot.as for a 4-3 defense?,there will be many face,s the pats will show,and play.4-3,3-4,cover-2.what ever works best for them,or who they match up against.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

there is not one person who will step in and relieve this position, but a committee of linemen working together will fill this void moving forward. however, in my opinion, jarvis green is the front runner of the group

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Gee, what happened to all the doom and gloom? I have little doubt the Pats D will be better, much better than the last 5+ years: we have players with more talent: e.g., Mayo, Thomas, Burgess, Wilfork. Pryor and and Wright make plays, period, and so does TBC. Young linebackers ready to step in after years down the depth chart. Who would feel better with Tedy in there? Tons of speed, if young, in the secondary but also vets, including Merriwether, the next Rodney(?) as people say. People complained about the offense in preseason, too. More LB's ready for next year, too. We don't need them "gelled" at the start of the season, either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

fowler-i dont see how,when you have a two time pro bowler in burgess,who is a DE.yes there will be substitutes,but burgess will get the start.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE] fowler-i dont see how,when you have a two time pro bowler in burgess,who is a DE.yes there will be substitutes,but burgess will get the start.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if Burgess is used as a situational pass rusher on passing downs only. He does not have the height to be in a olb position(6ft2 260) I also think we will see a lot of what Pierre Woods(6ft5 250) does as an outside pass rushing lb who can play with his hand on the ground or drop back.

The entire 4-3 3-4 debate is not necessary as we have the ideal BB roster for disguising one for the other. Most of the time we will not notice what the Defense played until we see the replay. Woods,TBC, or Adalius might drop back in coverage with Mayo and Guyton as we rush the 3 down linemen. We all know the pass rush has been bad but the linebacker coverage has been worse. This may be corrected with the youth and athleticism movement. We have great young personnel to execute a versatile defensive plan. Can't wait to see if the young guys can step up and take the reins