Who really left who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Who really left who?

In response to zbellino's comment:

NE did, in fact, sign Amendola before they signed Welker. Then they offered Welker a contract. It's something many people forget, and it colors the negotiation very differently. Obivously NE was willing to take on both contracts.

Did they?  I don't recall them offering Welker a contract after signing Amendola.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

It's the perfect case why the Head Coach shouldn't be the G.M. too. 

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Why put the blame on BB? Wes agent clearly mis-read the market, he tought Wes was worth a least 8ml per year. What did Victor Cruz get from the giant? 46ml for 6 years  15.6 guarantee and you wanted BB to give how much to Wes?

The Pats could have matched the Broncos offer but they chose not to.  BB was mad at Welker for not accepting the offer the previous year.   The head coach should never be the GM, conflict of interest.

Gotta disagree.  I think NE would have been nuts to pay over 6 mil per year for Wes.  Hey, I loved Wes as much as anybody.  He made a lot of big plays for us and was a very likeable figure.  You just can't ignore his age, the beating that he took while he was here, the re-built ACL, and most importantly the key drops, though.  I think BB place a more than fair price tag on him and would have liked to have him back, but there comes a point where the product just isn't worth the price tag.  It's as simple as that.  Like it or not, he had two crucial drops the previous two years that cost us two crucial games.  Yeah, I'm on record as saying the Super Bowl pass was one that a 6 million dollar per year player needs to catch.  It wasn't that tough.  It was a concentration drop.  Also, the first-down catch against Baltimore that he dropped on the first drive of the second half would have put us in at LEAST FG range and made the Baltimore come-back much more unlikely.  That drop changed that game and gave Baltimore a lot of momentum.  Yeah, it was just 2 plays, and he made plenty of others while he was here, but they were 2 huge, huge miscues.  I know Amendola hasn't been durable thus far in his NFL career, but he has age on his side.  I like the move by BB to move on for the younger, more athletic and most importantly more sure-handed WR.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

[QUOTE]

How do you know?  Heck, it was even reported that Amendola was signed before Welker got an offer. 

That's pretty much exactly what I said.  Welker had offers from the Pats before FA opened, and they were pulled off the table when Amendola was signed in the first few days of FA.  Welker didn't accept those offers because he thought he could get more on the open market.  He couldn't.

The Pats weren't mad at Welker; they just weren't going to overpay for him.  If they were mad at him or didn't want him, they wouldn't have made him any offers (fair market ones at that, not low-balling him) prior to the start of FA.

Welker wasn't mad at the Pats, he just misread his market.

This is pretty much the epitome of "It's not personal, it's just businesss."  People like to think one side or the other had dramatic issues with the other, but it's just not true.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree with you on all of this but like I said, many things were being reported that day and days after.  I remember when FA started there were reports that Welker didn't even have an offer yet.  So we will never know the timeline or how it all went down.  We can only guess as to what happened.  I wish Welker was still a Patriot but he isn't, enough said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

NE did, in fact, sign Amendola before they signed Welker. Then they offered Welker a contract. It's something many people forget, and it colors the negotiation very differently. Obivously NE was willing to take on both contracts.

Yes, that's the way I heard it and understood it Zbellino.  Mr Kraft said otherwise though. 

I would have loved to have had both Welker and Amendola on the team.  Not sure I could contain my enthusiasm both Welker and Amendola were on the team. I would have already purchased my SB tickets.  Probably would have gone out and got one of those 1/2 and 1/2 Welker/Amendola jerseys made up.  I would probably be on all the other NFL team forums bragging about having BOTH Welker and Amedola on the Pats and saying the SB is ours!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Why is this even being brought up again? Wasn't this horse beaten bloody already when it all went down? I loved Welker, thought he was nothing short of a warrior for this team.

Bottom line is that both sides couldn't get the deal done. At this point, does it really matter why? We have a stable full of young talent, and I'm excited to see them gel.

Wes ain't ever coming back, so all need to just move on....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

The Pats could have matched the Broncos offer but they chose not to.  BB was mad at Welker for not accepting the offer the previous year.   The head coach should never be the GM, conflict of interest.

You should probably take another look at the timeline of events.  Welker had a deal on the table from the Pats that was roughly equivalent to the one he eventually got from Denver, but he didn't accept it before FA opened.  Once FA opened, the Pats needed to act quickly to lock up their Plan B since they were at risk of getting nothing.  They agreed to terms with Amendola BEFORE Welker signed with Denver, because they HAD to, to protect themselves.  Once they did, the deal for Welker was off the table.

The Pats read the market for Welker correctly, he did not, and that is why he is no longer here.

How do you know?  Heck, it was even reported that Amendola was signed before Welker got an offer.  Fact is we don't know exactly how it went down, not sure if we will ever know.  Belichick was mad about Welker not accepting the deal last season.  The pats put a figure down, added ridiculous bonus requirements and Welker chose to sign with the Broncos for a little more.  

You knew the relationship was over when Edelman received playing time ahead of Welker at the start of last season.  The only offer by the Pats cemented the fact that the relationship was over.  At that point it was best for both parties to move on which is what happened.

According to Jonathan Kraft (take it for what it is worth) the pat's twice made Welker offers better than what he signed for in Denver. He didn't mention the time frame but if you piece it together it was most likely the offer of 2 years 16 mil at the time he got franchised and most likely another offer right before the FA period began.

A lot depends, though, on how you view incentives and other nonguaranteed parts of the offer.  Welker and the Pats could have had an honest disagreement over how good an offer was.  Also, the Pats seem to have reduced their offer at some point, and what matters is what the Pats had on the table when Denver presented their offer. 

I can only go by what he JK said in the interview. For all I know he is blowing smoke up everyones a**. That being said he went on record and said (I am paraphrasing) i have seen the Denver deal and the we made 2 offers better than what he signed for. when asked why WW left he said you would have to ask the agent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In retrospect, I think BB  may have been more upset about Welker's infamous "foot" press conference than I believed.  BB has a lot of respect for his fellow coaches and may not have liked Welker so publically making fun of another coach, particularly about a personal matter that involved the coach's wife.  I personally thought it was just a funny gag, but in retrospect I can see Belichick thinking it was way out of line to make comments about another coach and the sexual prooclivities of that coah's wife.  There is a bit of a fraternity among coaches and Welker may have treaded disrespectfully onto sacred ground in BB's opinion.

That is interesting, but I tend to think dollars and cents were the motivating factor in the offer. 

Being more specific, I think NE had to view Wes playing 2012 under the franchise tag as a rather sizeable pay-day for the guy. 

Recall, his offer in 2011 for 2012 and beyond was quite a bit higher. Welker himself admitted that the fabled $16 million two-year guaranteed offer was out there, one that was supposed to have a third year reachable by playing time, but essentially was totally guaranteed through 2013. 

After the franchise tage was spent to the tune of $9.5 million, it probably changes the potential outlays they are willing to go to. If NE had offered him a three year $25 million contract, there probably would have been some noise about using all those resources. 

NE, it looks like, stuck to their guns on the total value for a then 30-31 year old with a ton of miles at a position that, really, doesn't age well. 

Welker, obviously, had different ideas, even tweeting that signing the tag was a "#leapoffatih" in a bigger contract down the road. 

That, to me, does evince a rather naive view of contracts and footbal. A 31 year old slot, no matter how good, is a depreciating asset. 

On the flipside, Wes has, by this course of action, made more total guarantees for himself, bringung the grand total to $21.5 million over three seasons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

You should probably take another look at the timeline of events.  Welker had a deal on the table from the Pats that was roughly equivalent to the one he eventually got from Denver, but he didn't accept it before FA opened.  Once FA opened, the Pats needed to act quickly to lock up their Plan B since they were at risk of getting nothing.  They agreed to terms with Amendola BEFORE Welker signed with Denver, because they HAD to, to protect themselves.  Once they did, the deal for Welker was off the table.

The Pats read the market for Welker correctly, he did not, and that is why he is no longer here.

How do you know?  Heck, it was even reported that Amendola was signed before Welker got an offer.  Fact is we don't know exactly how it went down, not sure if we will ever know.  Belichick was mad about Welker not accepting the deal last season.  The pats put a figure down, added ridiculous bonus requirements and Welker chose to sign with the Broncos for a little more.  

You knew the relationship was over when Edelman received playing time ahead of Welker at the start of last season.  The only offer by the Pats cemented the fact that the relationship was over.  At that point it was best for both parties to move on which is what happened.

According to Jonathan Kraft (take it for what it is worth) the pat's twice made Welker offers better than what he signed for in Denver. He didn't mention the time frame but if you piece it together it was most likely the offer of 2 years 16 mil at the time he got franchised and most likely another offer right before the FA period began.

A lot depends, though, on how you view incentives and other nonguaranteed parts of the offer.  Welker and the Pats could have had an honest disagreement over how good an offer was.  Also, the Pats seem to have reduced their offer at some point, and what matters is what the Pats had on the table when Denver presented their offer. 

I can only go by what he JK said in the interview. For all I know he is blowing smoke up everyones a**. That being said he went on record and said (I am paraphrasing) i have seen the Denver deal and the we made 2 offers better than what he signed for. when asked why WW left he said you would have to ask the agent.

[/QUOTE]

He could have been referring to the offers that existed BEFORE the franchise tag ... those were, indeed, very generous. They were dealing with guarantees in the 7-8 million range with IIRC triggered option years.

The offer NE made at the time, still, is kind of shrouded in mystery because no one has outright spoken what it was, or confirmed it, unlike those earlier offers which were verified by Wes himself. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

He could have been referring to the offers that existed BEFORE the franchise tag ... those were, indeed, very generous. They were dealing with guarantees in the 7-8 million range with IIRC triggered option years.

The offer NE made at the time, still, is kind of shrouded in mystery because no one has outright spoken what it was, or confirmed it, unlike those earlier offers which were verified by Wes himself. 

he inferred in his interview that one of the offers was in the period leading up to FA period. I posted a link earlrier in the thread where he addressed this, it was right around the 21 minute mark of the interview. Like i said previously he could be blowing smoke you know where but he seemed sought of perplexed that WW wasn't a Patriot and seemed to point to the agent as the cause.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Why is this even being brought up again? Wasn't this horse beaten bloody already when it all went down? I loved Welker, thought he was nothing short of a warrior for this team.

Bottom line is that both sides couldn't get the deal done. At this point, does it really matter why? We have a stable full of young talent, and I'm excited to see them gel.

Because it's offseason ... I was actually only here for one of the Wes/Amedola conversations (one that turned pretty heated as I recall). 

As people come trickling back in, the Wes and Aaron discussions, as the big offseason moments, are bound to bounce back for a little bit. 

Plus, who are we kidding. Once the regular season starts, right or wrong, Wes and Danny will be off to the races in the eyes of fans across America. It's going to be viewed as some kind of competition.

I short, this issue has a lot of legs. It could go a while. I mean, really, wait until week 12!!!!!!! It's going to be a troll fiesta, with Broncos fans in here, Jets fans, Colts/Manning fans. Forget about a playoff matchup that is possible between Denver and NE. It hasn't even begun really. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

he inferred in his interview that one of the offers was in the period leading up to FA period. I posted a link earlrier in the thread where he addressed this, it was right around the 21 minute mark of the interview. Like i said previously he could be blowing smoke you know where but he seemed sought of perplexed that WW wasn't a Patriot and seemed to point to the agent as the cause.

[/QUOTE]

Still have the link around? I would love to see it. Especially because the Krafts as a whole are really hands-off in player personell dealings, more than most owners. They do take a huge part in league issues, but they never really seem in on negotations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

i agree with you regarding the young talent. I'll take it a step further and say that becasue of  WW not signing  they not only addressed the WR issue they made it a focal point of the draft where if WW had been signed they may have only taken 1 reciever. who knows what direction they would have in had he not walked. Let's hope it turns out to be something that helps this team for years to come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Still have the link around? I would love to see it. Especially because the Krafts as a whole are really hands-off in player personell dealings, more than most owners. They do take a huge part in league issues, but they never really seem in on negotations.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/jonathan-kraft-on-felger-mazz-lets-not-go-crazy-over-brady-injury/

Down the bottom of the article is an audio link. I would say it is right around the 21 minute mark where JK addresses the WW contract or lack thereof.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Did they?  I don't recall them offering Welker a contract after signing Amendola.

[/QUOTE]

It was bang, bang. They were simultaneous negotiations, but the reportage indicates that NE offered both of them contracts in that order, the offers separated by less than 24 hours.

Amendola's deal was done on Tuesday the 12th -- though it was signed on the 13th when Free Agency began.

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/312255995399249920

Welker, famously, wasn't even given a contract offer until the 13th: [https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/311857607746928641]

And while they "talked" on the 12th, no offer had even been extended for 2013 at all at that point:

[https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/311510019227131906]

Which as history tells, was the scenario that NE and he agreed to when they stepped away from the table with testy, but mutal assent to let him 'test the waters.' 

There was a publicized comment from someone in house that Danny was "waiting in the wings," but the timeline suggest NE got Amendola as "security" or a straight "addition" and chose to allow the Welker deal to play out. 

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9050742/2013-nfl-free-agency-new-england-patriots-quickly-shifted-wes-welker-danny-amendola

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/jonathan-kraft-on-felger-mazz-lets-not-go-crazy-over-brady-injury/

Down the bottom of the article is an audio link. I would say it is right around the 21 minute mark where JK addresses the WW contract or lack thereof.

Thanks Ted Knight. I'll listen to it later. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

TFB12 I know you loved Wes but I think your off the mark here. Say what you want about BB the GM but he has been pretty dang succesful wearing both hats the last 12 years!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Good riddance to Sir Chokesalot 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In retrospect, I think BB  may have been more upset about Welker's infamous "foot" press conference than I believed.  BB has a lot of respect for his fellow coaches and may not have liked Welker so publically making fun of another coach, particularly about a personal matter that involved the coach's wife.  I personally thought it was just a funny gag, but in retrospect I can see Belichick thinking it was way out of line to make comments about another coach and the sexual prooclivities of that coah's wife.  There is a bit of a fraternity among coaches and Welker may have treaded disrespectfully onto sacred ground in BB's opinion.

Totally agree. You don't bring personal stuff up about someone's wife. BB went thru the ringer for Linda Holliday being drug thru the personal mud.  not on my watch I'm thinking. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

While there is obvious skill-set overlap, I think BB was rather candid that he viewed them as slightly different, saying he thought Amendola could play "inside and outside," I think the case could be made that they had a price for both and would have been fine carrying both at those prices. 

The contract negotiations were only tied together by the fact that reports indicate NE started courting Amendola when they decided to let Welker test free agency.

At the end of the day, on Wes' front (without speculation about hurt feelings etal) there were the guarantees. Wes' contract is downright vested in Denver. At 32, possibly looking at his last chance to make some money, that is the story. 

If Welker misses any time or declines from age in this short span ... he will have done something smart for himself by making sure he is going to be paid either way.

The Patriots offered a better than market deal the year before, he didn't take it.  The Patriot's don't have the luxury to wait around for Welker to decide so they sign Amendola.  Once that money is allocated they have less to offer Welker, how much money can you set aside for slot receivers.  Wes made his decision now he has to live with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I know BB can be anal, but I refuse to believe he could be that anal.

Welker dropped too many big passes and was getting old. That's all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

[/QUOTE]

TFB12 I know you loved Wes but I think your off the mark here. Say what you want about BB the GM but he has been pretty dang succesful wearing both hats the last 12 years!

[/QUOTE]

Well you certainly can have your opinion on the matter.  And you are not alone.  But that is my opinion, and I have heard others with the same opinion as mine.  So there!! Smile

Sections
Shortcuts