Who replaces Brady tonight? Hoyer or Mallett?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Who replaces Brady tonight? Hoyer or Mallett?

Reports out of Foxboro yesterday had Mallett running w/the 2nd team. I'm kind of getting the feeling BB does not want to keep 3 qb's on the roster...

So does the team showcase Hoyer one more time before they attempt to deal him? Or is one showing enough & Mallett gets the bulk of the reps tonight?

Or...am i way off, the Pats keep 3 QB's & Hoyer gets his usual work load tonight?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: Who replaces Brady tonight? Hoyer or Mallett?

I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with only Mallett behind TB. All it takes is one hit or one awkward twist

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

I think Hoyer is dealt. We have too many talented WR's, TE's & RB's to hold an extra QB. Mallett looks ready now & BB is not one for babying anyone....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Not sure how Mallet looks "ready" because of a pre season game against a team who has a starting unit that probably couldn't beat our 2nd string.

The idea of starting a rookie at any point in the season is scary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hoyer's not going anywhere, it would be foolish to release a QB like that. Teams are foolish and would trade anything for a quality QB. Especially a QB groomed by the great Bill Belichick. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I can't really see Hoyer being shipped.

There might be a few teams (San Francisco, Miami?) shopping, but Hoyer's contract status undermines his value and, really, he's still something of an unknown commodity. Further, I just don't see Darth Hoodie exposing his flank by putting all his eggs in the Mallet basket should the unthinkable -- and no, I'm not going to say it -- happen.

I'm all for giving the kid (heh heh . . .  they're both "kids") plenty of reps with the big boys, but I don't think that signals any kind of sea change in Belichick's thinking . . .

as if we ever really know what Bill's thinking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Who replaces Brady tonight? Hoyer or Mallett?:
    [QUOTE]Hoyer's not going anywhere, it would be foolish to release a QB like that. Teams are foolish and would trade anything for a quality QB. Especially a QB groomed by the great Bill Belichick. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone was saying he would be cut. (at least I hope not)  I think people are saying he could be traded. 

I think we will see Mallet after Brady tonight because they really want to see Mallet more and get a better handle on just how far along he is.  Hoyer is still the backup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yeah, don't see Hoyer or Mallett going anywhere this year for all the reasons listed above.

What BB needs to do this year is give some more garbage time to Hoyer and Mallett. If we intend on showcasing both talents, giving them more experience, etc., then we need to do it. If Hoyer impresses in regular season, that should increase our trade value significantly. Plus, I think he has better trade value right before or after the draft. A team that didn't get their QB, now has a backup option, and Hoyer is dealt.

Hoyer too should be much easier to deal, probably get better or as good value as Cassell, because he's not carrying that $16M or whatever it was franchise tag.

Keep me honest here, but is this Hoyer's last year under contract? if so, we need to work on an extension. We don't want him walking for nothing in return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

hoyer has more value to the pats than trade value

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

if mallet throws for 300 yards and 3 Td's tonight maybe they trade hoyer.

In the real world the earliest hoyer gets shipped to san fran is the trade deadline.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I don't think BB holds 3 Qbs. There is no reason to. I know people are enamored with Hoyer and think he has some trade value, which he doesn't (unless you consider a 5th round pick significant trade value, but Mallet clearly has the better arm and it the QB who has starting ability. There are a lot of Hoyers in this league on other teams. 

I really like Hoyer and he'd make a great back up on any team and maybe gets a shot at 1st string somewhere someday. He could develop into a Cassel perhaps with a couple more years on the bench. It's not going to happen in NE with Mallet on the roster. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

belichick said he was going to have 3 qbs on the roster

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS.

Wasn't there something in the new bargaing agreement that stated teams have to have 3 QBs, I thought I read that.  Seems silly because a team could name anyone as a back up no??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I disagree...I believe Hoyer COULD be delt this year for a 2nd...he's playing in a very complicated offense which shows he's smart...also under the tutaledge of Brady & BB...also he's already beat out guys drafted in the 3rd round to remain the Patriots back up & for Bill to feel comfortable enough about Hoyer to go into 2 seasons with only him as the back up speaks volumes on his abilities...I see a 2nd for him minimum...

Look what got drafted this year in the 1st round & lets not forget what Atlanta gave up for a #2 WR!!!

the QB is the MOST IMPORTANT chess piess on the board so he automatically holds value, combine that with all I said above & a 2nd is reasonable...doesn't matter at all he was undrafted, Cassell(7TH) & Brady (6th) have proven that...

If Hoyer does stay he'll recieve a 2nd round tender next year....

the REAL topic is Mallett...I'm pretty sure some GM's are kicking themselves right now...IF Bill showcases Mallett & he tears it up so early after a short pre season the Pats may be able to turn him into a 1st & 2nd rounder...don't laugh it's true...IF Bill decides to keep mallett & train him under Brady for three more years we may be looking at the new face of the franchise....Brady will either retire or be traded for future picks to a west coast team cause Bill would do that for him so he'll be close to his family & Home

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Julien can be our third on paper.  Showcase Hoyer one more time then deal and get a pick for him.  Only problem is that the supplemental draft may make him less desirable. 
    I like Hoyer, but there is just too much talent on this team and 3 qbs are a luxury, not a necessity at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS. Wasn't there something in the new bargaing agreement that stated teams have to have 3 QBs, I thought I read that.  Seems silly because a team could name anyone as a back up no??
    Posted by Michael02127[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Last year you could have 3 QB's because there was an exempt roster slot for a 3rd Qb, the stipulation was that if the 3rd QB entered the game at any point the first 2 were done for the day.

Now that exempt slot is gone, and they just added an extra roster slot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

there is something in the agreement that you can carry a 46th player as an emergency 3rd QB. I remember hearing that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I do not expect them to trade Hoyer this year as he is the backup THIS YEAR and as BB said - "Hoyer get's it." And getting it is more important than arm strength. History is littered with strong armed guys that could not play QB. THe latest big exemple was Jamarcus Russell but there have been so many others.

I do not expect them to trade or cut Mallett if he is a real good prospect. His long term value either as a QB or via trade is so much more than a 6th WR or 5th RB.

If BB thinks that either is just not a good condidate to play QB full time then that guy will be gone. But for the moment it is not looking that way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

In the new CBA, you can only suit up 45 players and carry 53.  So a third QB is not a freebie.  It is rare that BB keeps 3 QB's.   He feels comfortable with keeping 2.  There are always out of work QB's ready to play so an injury to Brady would require them to bring in one as a backup to whoever takes over.  I think BB learned from the Cassell mess that franchising a QB can handcuff you fast.  I think if they can get a value pick for Hoyer, they will trade him.  I think it will be a 2013 pick as the 2012 draft card is gettign full.  I also think a 2013 pick will be one round higher than the 2012 pick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]You think he is dealt now?  Dude, he just got a playbook 3 weeks ago. No way.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Mallett is a coaches son, which in football speak means he is a smart dude. If BB says he is ready to be the #2 then "it is written"....Besides i'm pretty sure BB said he's rolling w/2 QB's. I don't think he's gonna stash Mallett on the practice squad....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]Julien can be our third on paper.  Showcase Hoyer one more time then deal and get a pick for him.  Only problem is that the supplemental draft may make him less desirable.  I like Hoyer, but there is just too much talent on this team and 3 qbs are a luxury, not a necessity at this point.
    Posted by 347pg[/QUOTE]

Very true....Never thought about Edelman being the 3rd QB on paper if it is true that we must have 3 QBs...

W/regards to Hoyer. His stock is highest now. Look @ what Tony Sperano said a few weeks ago...That his QB's are awful & at this point he'd welcome brett favre w/open arms. after 2 games Teams have got the chance to analyze their QB's & may be freakig out going into a 16 game season w/inferior talent. Gotta thin the lil showcase Hoyer put on last week 7 that "patriot stigma" might get the Pats a 2nd rnder in return...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i think hoyer stays. he would be a solid backup just in case. mallet looked good but can't possibly be ready to run the offense, especially with the limited time to prepare for the season. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Well, Both QB's came back down to earth last night.....It seems like BB is giving Mallett every opportunity to be the #2

Sections
Shortcuts