Who replaces Hern?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Who replaces Hern?

Do we work Salas in more quickly, try to plus in on of our other thousand TE's we have or sign a guy like Branch or Gaffney back in knowing we will have to go 3 WR set more often than the 2 TE set?

I personally would like to see what Salas can do, but I also think brining a veteran back in like Branch would be the best move for our match up with the Ravens next week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Who replaces Hern?

That's a great question.  I don't think they can replace Hernandez, but if he can't come back this season - they have to get another TE.

In addition, I think they need a FB who can help with protecting brady and blocking for the RB corp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WELKER ! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Time to go get Plax

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Plax? Now that would certaintly make things interesting. He probably would be a 4-8 catch kind of guy, someone best used in red zone targets. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Plaxico would be a good pickup while Hernandez is out. If the injury isn't bad, mebbe we will get him back in 6 weeks or so...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Salas will likely get activated next week, but I won't be surprised to see Branch or Gaffney back.  I doubt we'll pick up another TE because we already have a bunch and a good receiving TE is probably not available at this time of the year anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Newsflash people, Hernandez is not a wide receiver... how about a fullback?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They need to replace his receptions.  Yes, Hernandez plays a valuable roll blocking too, but his receptions are more important.  Yesterday, they replaced him with Hoomananui, Hilliard, and Welker.  Which of those replacements made the biggest impact?  The answer was obvious: the receiver, not the TE or the FB.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A "passentric" Prolate point of view... how unique.

Not.

Hernandez most resembles an HBack/Fullback, both in size, stature and production.  You really think Welker had the same impact blocking down the field?  Who will play/block in front of Ridely in the I-Formation, who can start in the backfield, then flex out when the audible is called to help chip block a rushing defensive end before drifting into the flat for a dump off; Welker?

We tried out all these fullbacks in camp for a reason, I think they'll use one of the fullbacks they already have on the roster or bring Kettani or Larsen back in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not.

Hernandez most resembles an HBack/Fullback, both in size, stature and production.  You really think Welker had the same impact blocking down the field?  Who will play/block in front of Ridely in the I-Formation, who can start in the backfield, then flex out when the audible is called to help chip block a rushing defensive end before drifting into the flat for a dump off; Welker?

We tried out all these fullbacks in camp for a reason, I think they'll use one of the fullbacks they already have on the roster or bring Kettani or Larsen back in.

[/QUOTE]

For two years now Hern has been more of a WR, to the point of talk of his new contract would have to be classified as a WR instead of a TE.

Edelman's snaps increased significantly yesterday.  HMMM

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Kettani has already signed with another team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ClifordWasHere. Show ClifordWasHere's posts

BB planned for this.  He knew that TE was a position that would need depth.  Not only do we have the best 2 TE in football, but our 3,4,5s are better than most teams 1 & 2 TE.  It was tought to lose Hern in game 2, but by next week, it will be business as usual.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I wish Shiancoe was healthy right now

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I wish Shiancoe was healthy right now

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not.

[/QUOTE]

You're not going to find too many guys who have the mix of skills of a Hernandez--decent blockers who are also excellent receivers. Sure, if you can find a FB (or TE) who can block like Hern can and also catch like he can, great.  But they're unlikely to find that now.  As it is, until Fells or Shiancoe is back, the guys they can replace Hernandez with are TEs like Hoomananui, FBs like Hilliard, and receivers like Welker or Salas or maybe Branch or Gaffney.  Given those choices, I think the receiver will add the most.  Unfortunately, without a player as versatile as Hern, they are going to have to bring in blockers when they need them and receivers when they need them. That will make us more predictable.  But it's the reality.  Guys with Hern's mix of skills are few and far between.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Next man up! Fells...at least till AH returns or Ballard comes off PUP...Any thing else is fantacy, there is nothing out there any better, or they would be on the roster now...Maby Shank in 6 weeks? But that is it...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Where is Fells?  Maybe they rely more on the WR crew in the short term. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Where is Fells?  Maybe they rely more on the WR crew in the short term. 

[/QUOTE]

Practiceing now...Limited...You can expect him back this week...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Someone said it above about Hernandez and his versatility. THis is what made the Pats offense so unpredictable and tough to defend. There is no one in a skill posiition on teh Pats roster as versatile as Hernandez. 

Replacing him is not as easy as activating Fells, or bringing in Gaffney or Branch. We all know that. It's not necessarily Hern by himself either, it's the combo of he and Gronk...1+1=3 that can't be replaced. 

We will "replace" Hern with Fells/Shiancoe, however, they will not be used in the same way. They can both catch and block, so that makes them dual weapons, but I think what we see is a lot more traditional TE packages. We could also use Gronk in a Hernandez role,  use outside, in slot or bring him in to play RB..almost he takes on Hernandez role, and Fells/Shiancoe pick up Gronk's role from time to time. This I would see happening, and I think we saw a bit of this yesterday with Gronk lining up in the backfield and also split outwide, motioning, etc. 

We could keep a similar offensive philosophy, but just move some responsibilities around.

I know GRonk is not as athletic as Hern, but what are our options here? Not just repalcing production, but replacing a player that kept DC's up at night.